What is your definition of 'Saints Footy'?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

What is your definition of 'Saints Footy'?

I have listened to the radio and read the papers with quite a bit of bemusement over the last 12-18 months. When we beat a team it is because they were missing players, because they couldn't kick straight or that oldie but a goodie 'we play crap defensive football that the footy world does not want to watch'. If none of those pop up, it is usually one of our player's faults because they 'picked' on poor such and such (Bakes being the one to cop it this week).

After Geelong's SMACKING at our hands on Friday night, I have listened to a raft of excuses by Geelong supporters, the media, the football public and even the team themselves. Was starting to getting pretty worked up. Then it hit me. No one outside of our team and it's supporters has grasped the importance of the 'Saints Footy' concept and how crucial it has been to our current and continued future success. They just don't seem to be able to comprehend that it does not matter who is or is not missing from the team. We will cover that loss 9 times out of 10. If we do lose, you won't hear us moaning and bleating about umpiring or someone receiving a hard time on the field. We just take it in our stride whilst seeking greater improvement from ourselves week in and week out.

So thinking about it today, here was some key points in my definition of Saints Footy:

1) Your importance as a player to the this team is not measured on how outstanding your ability is. If you are picked to play, you have a role and providing you play this role to expectations week in week out, you will continue to be chosen to play. Structures and your role in that structure is the key.

2) No one player is bigger than the team no matter what your salary or how big your name is.

3) Selflessness required on and off the field.

4) Be gracious in defeat as well as humble in victory

5) Continue to seek improvement no matter how many games have been one or lost. Improvement is critical to ongoing success.

To sum it up, Saints Footy to me is the beginning of a new culture at our club. Credit where credit is due, GT and the RB where the turning point and the beginning of this new era. Ross and our playing group have now taken it to a new level.

So the greater football public, be afraid, be very afraid! We are not going anywhere for quite some time to come!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rexy
SS Life Member

Good post. Saints footy is not a game plan or style, it is an attitude and a mindset, it is an expectation, maybe its a bit like shinboner spirit was for the Roos in the 90s.

Its also a great marketting tool that the media have helped promote without necessarily meaning to.

Maybe this year?
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I hate when i hear 'saints footy' in the media

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
rexy
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:I hate when i hear 'saints footy' in the media
Why, surely this is the idea behind it, coaches and players use it and now the media use it, it is also our membership slogan, its like advertising our brand for us. Saints footy is everywhere. Brilliant concept, well executed IMO.

Maybe this year?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

BJ is the first person I heard use the phrase "Saints Footy".

He's a bit of an American Football fan as it happens, his housemate is anyway, and On the Couch one week he mentioned how he would often watch games with him so he would've heard the numerous mentions of "Giants Football", "Colts Football", "49ers Football" that they like to use over there.

He thought it would be cool if he and his teammates used something similar in the media to describe the brand they play so they came up with "Saints Footy" and it's caught on.

Not as romantic as the OP, but I reckon it's probably spot on.

benengel14
Club Player

rexy wrote:
Why, surely this is the idea behind it, coaches and players use it and now the media use it, it is also our membership slogan, its like advertising our brand for us. Saints footy is everywhere. Brilliant concept, well executed IMO.
+1
Use to cringe when I first heard it, but I'm getting use to it. The coaches/players are well versed in its use.

And its slowly becoming a powerful brand that is recognised outside of the club. First impression was that it started off as "glib marketing wank" but it's revealing itself to be much bigger than that...

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saints Footy is simply this:-

When the team asks you to jump - You don't say how high - You say - When can I come down!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd also like to add ferocious tackling and belief in the system.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I'm all Saints Footy-ed out after the massive thread a few months ago about it!

Most people know I love it as a marketing tool and as a motivation for the players and supporters and everyone St Kilda.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Saints footy is a marketing tool.
The coaches and players go on about it but I doubt at a break Ross goes our there and says play better Saints footy.
Its a good marketing tool.

starsign
Club Player

Great post and Rexy you've nailed it ....it's an attitude/concept .....and the way we actually PLAY is merely just part of it ....just one of the outcomes ... ...ie the actually putting of the various aspects into practice and it doesn't ALWAYS manifest itself into a negative defensive dour type of footy ...only when circumstances demand it NEEDS to be ...which may be for all or part of the game itself

Saints Footy means so much more to the players, the club and long time suffering supporters with an IQ above room temperature
The general footy world may never catch on to its intrinsic meaning including the press, but who cares (maybe better they don't!!)

WE know it's a means to an ends based on some solid proven principles of how to bank four points each week in the current game in our overall quest for the holy grail
It may appear dour, defensive whatever at times particularly to the Philistines, but we know we have the ability and skill to break a game open and score rapidly when the time presents itself and play whatever entertaining footy these imbeciles hold as paramount , but it's not the main goal!! (and if that's what teams purely strive for, they are never assured of the ultimate prize come September!!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Saints footy is a marketing tool.
The coaches and players go on about it but I doubt at a break Ross goes our there and says play better Saints footy.
Agree. Effective too. Still, there's no doubt that the Saints at their best have a particular ruthlessness that no one comes even close to. There is a distinctive St Kilda way.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

When you struggle to seperate the players to give your votes after the game.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I agree Thinline.
When we are on we are very good.
The tackling that was imperative last year has been back in the Freo and Geelong games and that's is what I think Saints footy is if its not a marketing tool.
Also I think Farren Ray's comment about how Baker "would die for you" is an underlining belief between all of the players. All of the players believe it and the number of times Farren Ray has put his body on the line in the past 2 years compared with his time at the Bulldogs is what is making us so good even without Roo.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:When you struggle to seperate the players to give your votes after the game.
Like that.

It is nice that we can enjoy this thread.

Last time I copped a barrage, albeit from one poster, who may be away on holiday, but it was relentless.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

It it the absolute reason my love for this team has risen 500% recently.

We are 100% professional in everything we do, both on and off the field.

Everyone has a role and they fill that to the best of their ability.

We all have belief in this team as they have a very, very strong ambition to be the best.

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
starsign
Club Player

we've got our fair share of Philistines too! even here obviously

Which is fair enough when you look at the stats...(40,000... can't expect us all to be on the same page
But who cares about the uninitiated even if they do support the Saints

Many, I'm sure know first hand along with the players fortunately,
it's more than just a marketing tool, and embraces a fundamental change of culture from within our CLUB given it's hundred year history
and I would suggest to those who have an issue with it , take the word from a long suffering devoted Sainter ....just forget about it and sit back and enjoy the ride, whatever it is ....knowing it's all good and it's WORKING!!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

benengel14 wrote:
rexy wrote:
+1
Use to cringe when I first heard it, but I'm getting use to it. The coaches/players are well versed in its use.

And its slowly becoming a powerful brand that is recognised outside of the club. First impression was that it started off as "glib marketing wank" but it's revealing itself to be much bigger than that...
EXACTLY!

I have heard us referred to recently as 'a champion team' as against Geelong being a 'team of champions'. I took offense when I first heard the reference, but then I sat back and thought about if for a while. Champions come and go for one reason or another, whether it be retirement or poaching from a new interstate team. Yes they do well for a few years, but what happens when the champions are no longer there?

A champion team will remain high up on the pecking order for many a year to come. Why? Because a team that plays together and for one another stays together. Any new inclusions are also brought through the ranks with this same ethos. It is not about the individual, it is about the team as a collective and your part of that team structure.

So for me, what may have started out as a brilliant marketing tool has become much more than that. It has become the name for a new culture for the St Kilda football club. It marks the beginning of a new era for our club. A culture that will see us hold that cup afloat at the end of 2010. I have never felt more sure of that than I did after our performance on Friday night.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Saints Footy is a marketing tool at all. I think Ross and the coaching staff have instilled very specific parameters and objects that all players are aware of and react to instinctively.
It doesn't matter who is in the team at any time, they all know what is expected of them and results follow.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I don't think Saints Footy is a marketing tool at all. I think Ross and the coaching staff have instilled very specific parameters and objects that all players are aware of and react to instinctively.
It doesn't matter who is in the team at any time, they all know what is expected of them and results follow.
Of course and I wholeheartedly agree with you, but, in addition to that, anything published on stickers, brochures and marketing material is technically considered marketing.

Yes, it is a philosophy and an ethos that the whole club has embraced and it is so powerful, it has spread to the marketing of the club and hence the supporters. I tried to say that in the last thread so I am total agreement with you.

Nothing wrong with that. Infact, it is brilliant to have everyone embracing it. When all and sundry are reading off the same page, it is rare and special.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:I don't think Saints Footy is a marketing tool at all. I think Ross and the coaching staff have instilled very specific parameters and objects that all players are aware of and react to instinctively.
Of course and I wholeheartedly agree with you, but, in addition to that, anything published on stickers, brochures and marketing material is technically considered marketing.

Yes, it is a philosophy and an ethos that the whole club has embraced and it is so powerful, it has spread to the marketing of the club and hence the supporters. I tried to say that in the last thread so I am total agreement with you.

Nothing wrong with that. Infact, it is brilliant to have everyone embracing it. When all and sundry are reading off the same page, it is rare and special.
My 2010 Members sticker says "Member 2010". I haven't seen a Saints Footy sticker. Where do I get one?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintnick12
Club Player

I agree with your post that it's something very specific that they have come up with and all know what is expected of them and they have all bought into it.

I think they started talking about it and the phrase caught on in the media and they then decided to seize on that and use it as a bit of a marketing tool. It was on the membership booklets for this year.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Saints footy = winning.

Seriously, rather than saying "We are committed to winning", "When we are winning, we don't worry about other teams"... our players and coaching staff say "We are committed to Saints footy", "When we are playing Saints footy, we don't worry about other teams", and so on. It sounds a little less arrogant. It's much harder to hold a statement against someone who says they are committed to their own team, rather than if they are only talking about winning. But have no mistake, the bottom line is that Saints footy is all about winning. And I love it!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Saints footy is a marketing tool.
Agree. Effective too. Still, there's no doubt that the Saints at their best have a particular ruthlessness that no one comes even close to. There is a distinctive St Kilda way.
The way I see it was that they actually stated a few KPIs that were important to them and made a code of 'Saints Footy' last year.

Obviously with the unprecedented streak last year the club has latched on to it as a marketing tool as well, but believe the players generally do try and adhere to it.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Of course, a few years ago Sydney were playing Bloods Footy. Ross has seen firsthand the importance of having a team ethos that the players identify with and share ownership of. While it's not enough to have an internal brand - look at Sydney now - in the hands of a sufficiently talented and motivated group of players it is a vital force.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."