Roo to the wing when he returns.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnak
Club Player

Roo to the wing when he returns.

I really want to see Roo given a spell on the wing for his first few games back and see how he goes. He is going to run his guts out anyway.

If he is the icing on the cake we're all talking about then let him be the icing.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Rooey12

Yeah, good idea.

Have the best forward in the comp play on a wing - genius.

I would think you slot him at CHF and we get used to having the great man back.

Absolute waste of time to play him on a wing.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He spends 30% of his time up on the wings anyway.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo to the wing when he returns.

karnak wrote:I really want to see Roo given a spell on the wing for his first few games back and see how he goes. He is going to run his guts out anyway.

If he is the icing on the cake we're all talking about then let him be the icing.
The idea has some merit because what we don't want is to fall back into the over-reliance trap. We are kicking winning scores without him being the focus of every attack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
karnak wrote:I really want to see Roo given a spell on the wing for his first few games back and see how he goes. He is going to run his guts out anyway.

The idea has some merit because what we don't want is to fall back into the over-reliance trap. We are kicking winning scores without him being the focus of every attack.
Maybe he could play back pocket or if we really dont want to use the best forward in the AFL maybe we just dont play him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Maybe he could play back pocket or if we really dont want to use the best forward in the AFL maybe we just dont play him.
Well, Ross did suggest chb at his press conference this week. ff would be another option.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Well, Ross did suggest chb at his press conference this week. ff would be another option.
It was a joke just as playing Rooy on the wing is a joke.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I dunno. A lot of truths are said in jest. Let's not fall back into the trap of making him the focus of every attack and it doesn't count as a goal unless riewoldt kicks it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I dunno. A lot of truths are said in jest. Let's not fall back into the trap of making him the focus of every attack and it doesn't count as a goal unless riewoldt kicks it.
I dont get you. You arent happy with the forward line but you dont mind the idea of the best forward in the AFL playing on the wing so we dont kick it to him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I dunno. A lot of truths are said in jest. Let's not fall back into the trap of making him the focus of every attack and it doesn't count as a goal unless riewoldt kicks it.
I dont get you. You arent happy with the forward line but you dont mind the idea of the best forward in the AFL playing on the wing so we dont kick it to him.
Maybe he plays deeper, so players will have the option of going over his head for goal. I'm sure Ross will have the answer. Problem with Rooey is that he may be too good a player.

It will be interesting to see who makes way for him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

How about we go radical and play him where:

* he is best
* where he is most value to the team

.....as a key forward...

Leave the wings to Joeyy, Gram, Peake and Ray....they are all quite handy....good runners and three of them have more pace than Roo.

We had a month where we stuffed around with our structure...to our detriment, though he was valuable for Lyon to know what can work or not for Plan B and C's in games where Plan A is not working.

so lets play our best structure...and stick to our gameplan. If the players can deliver the required application and work-rate we should go ok...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:How about we go radical and play him where:

* he is best
* where he is most value to the team

.....as a key forward...
Maybe at ff?

rexy
SS Life Member

We are not kicking winning scores, we are holding opposition teams to very low scores.

Roo will come back at CHF, he is the best player in this position in the league, we now know that we have options, options to play an extra tall in Stanley or a different tall in Stanley or play Roo elsewhere if we were to have another significant injury, We know that if BJ has a hard tag or Roo is being beaten we could swap them for a short time for instance.

But all in all, Reiwoldt at CHF and Kosi at FF is our best forward line, it wont change our currnet structure, just improve the quality of it.

Maybe this year?
IcanKickit
Club Player

on the wing.
agreed.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

maybe we can trade him up north for picks 1, 2 and 3???

saint58
Club Player

Great idea i did suggest it on thursday night on sen but the ox suggested he play a CHF.
I thougt it might be a way of not putting as much pressure on him when he returnes.

CHF is very demanding and it would be a great advantage to play him on the wing who would pick him up a small he is to big a tall he is to fast,well lets see how he goes anyway.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Can't agree. Our forward line is still struggling, we're the lowest scoring side in the Top 6. We need Roo straight back in at CHF.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bozza1980
Club Player

saint58 wrote:

Great idea i did suggest it on thursday night on sen but the ox suggested he play a CHF.
I thougt it might be a way of not putting as much pressure on him when he returnes.

CHF is very demanding and it would be a great advantage to play him on the wing who would pick him up a small he is to big a tall he is to fast,well lets see how he goes anyway.
It's a terrible idea.

I cannot understand how often this idea gets floated here. He is the best centre half forward in the game, if he plays he plays at centre half forward.

Leave ideas like playing your best key forward on the wing to Richmond circa 1996.

It was a stupid idea for Richo it's a worse idea for Riewoldt.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Let's not fall back into the trap of making him the focus of every attack. It's not as if it doesn't count as a goal if riewoldt doesn't kick it.

SaintTom
Club Player

Roo will (in my opinion) go back to the exact position he played. A forward who runs his man all the way up to the wing, and just tires them out. That is on of his key strengths, his ability to lead and lead and lead and push up until his man just can't match it with him. To play him out of the square is silly, because it completely undermines this strength of his.

I don't think we will fall into the trap of going to him every time. We will as long as it works, if he gets shut down too much a game we can switch to the style we're playing now and just imagine he was Rhys Stanley.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Now that we are kicking winning scores without him, then we must consider him at FB? It will solve the Zac Dawson issues we've all been having this year and Zac could finally be left at Sandy for good!! :lol: jk

Just keep Roo where Roo belongs doing his thing in the forward line, end of story. :)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:Roo will (in my opinion) go back to the exact position he played. A forward who runs his man all the way up to the wing, and just tires them out. That is on of his key strengths, his ability to lead and lead and lead and push up until his man just can't match it with him. To play him out of the square is silly, because it completely undermines this strength of his.
He is coming back from a serious injury

SaintTom wrote:I don't think we will fall into the trap of going to him every time. We will as long as it works, if he gets shut down too much a game we can switch to the style we're playing now and just imagine he was Rhys Stanley.
He's such a great player and demands the ball so much, it is something to be wary of. So I hope you are right and we can switch on demand.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I remember when he came back from a lay off in 05 after he broke his collar bone we played the Dees and Roo returned via the wing. Played a great game and we won by 85 points or something.

Eventually of course Roo will return to CHF, but it's an interesting idea. He could just play the role as a high fwd. CHF is a key to any structures we've set up. The wing he could just float in and out of the game and be rested when need be. Would work well at Etihad where he can vitually play as a midfielder. I'm not completely against the idea, although I reckon Lyon will slot him straight back to CHF.