Disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Disposal

Still the ???? over this team....hardest working team, best drilled, good in close, defensive pressure awsome.....disposal efficiency is POOR....many players are weak by foot

Good
Gwilt, Goddard, Dal Santo, Schnieder, Dempster

Hit and miss
Montagna, Hayes, Gilbert, Dawson, Riewoldt, Clarke, Kosi, Milne, A.Smith, Heyne, Gram

Average
Geary, Peak, S.Fisher, Baker, Blake, Eddy, Armitage, Gardiner, King, McQualter, Lynch, Ray, McEvoy

Poor
Jones, Pattison

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Agree ..and add to that I thought too oftten we overused the footy last night

We had chances to really put scoreboard pressure on Geelong in the 1st Quarter, and bury them much earlier in the last, but we were too cute and indirect too often, resulting in turnovers.

Rain or no rain, AFL footballers have to be able to hit targets from 30 away 100% of the time

Defiantely the negative from last night..lucky there were so many positives!!! :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint tezza
Club Player

after getting home from the game watched the taped game again.

One thing stood out , how we butchered the ball in the first half BUT after half time our disposal was much more efficient .

Short passes to leading players with a defender on their hammer were surprisingly good and allowed us to maintain control of the football under quite a bit of defensive pressure.

Witness the last quarter with Montagna playing the leadup roll to the wing rather than just bombing it long to congested forwards. When he led up the pass had to be cm perfect and it was.

I think efficient disposal can be our weak link but when we get it right it will take a very good football team playing very good football to compete with us.

And James Gwilt has the knack of seeming to make the right choices when it comes to finding a team mate. He is the one you want to have the ball in his hands streaming out of the backline (if it cant be goddard).
Not just a defensive weapon but good offensively with his penetrating and accurate left foot. A much improved player.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Don't want to tear down this thread but.

1. it was pissing down with rain.
2. Geelong aren't exactly a soft team who gave our players tonnes of time to dispose of the ball.

sure there were mistakes, but by and large, under extreme pressure in terrible conditions we scared the crap out of every other side in he competition with our skills in the wet.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

You've got Dempster as good and S.Fisher as average?

Harsh.

Fisher rarely makes mistakes by foot. I would have him as one of our better users. Really clever by foot, weights his deliveries beautifully normally and more often than not is able to find a good out-kick when we're being pinned back.

Finna
Club Player

The way we dominated possession in the 2nd half would not have been possible if our disposal was as bad as some are making out.

I actually thought it was good given the conditions and feel it has improved dramatically in the last 5 weeks.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Middle of second quarter- as cats were mounting charge
ball heading for their goals square
the 100 game plus knowedge of your teammembers showed as
Montagne to Dal Santo who only half turned and forward handpassed as Goddard flew from out of screen to take and run forward.- Magic

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
rexy
SS Life Member

Dont know why I am even responding as a hand full of players you have named have not played senior footy, but Lynch has excellent disposal! Have you seen him play?

Maybe this year?
backit
Club Player

Wasn't our efficiency rate at 78% last night according to the stats which was higher than the Cats at 73%, in those conditions that is a good average to have.

noob
Club Player

I actually think riewoldt's field kicking is pretty good. Fishers is fine.. Also I reckon gardiner is up in the Hit and miss category because he rarely misses a short pass.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Couple of things...

Tom Lynch's disposal is a real ??? and I have watched him on nearly 20 occasions.....his ability to create by foot is VG but can be very poor with the ball...ala Raph Clarke

Sam Fisher tends to just absolutely bomb the ball or elevate passes to high....pretty good kicking around the corner...

I counted goalkicking as a part of disposal....because it IS a disposal by foot....the most important one..

Kids at 21/22 have been playing footy for 10 years....if they are bad kicks, they aren't improving too much...too hard to detrain thousands of hours of practice..

Disposal efficiency is not the measure I consider the most damning...

Clangers cause big turnovers, which result in goals...

look at the first three geelong goals last night...

and the way we enter the ball inside 50 is abymal at times....

ie/ Montagna short pass inside 50, missed the target...turn-over geelong ran through the middle....S.Johnson spotted up Mooney....

In the first Quarter we were 1 point down after dominating play, why was that????????
Like the GF....we did not make the most of the hard work by capitalising on opportunities going fwd, and turned it over giving up cheap goals coming out......

Second Q. they dominated and capitalised....

3rd Q and Last Q we smashed them, regardless of disposal

Solar
Saintsational Legend

loved that jimmy's kicking on the right has improved out of sight. Agree that our kicking in the first half was poor and I can't see us improving this overnight. Thus we need to hunt in packs, work ourselves into space and give ourselves every chance of either hit up the player or have extra players around the contest to win it.

On reviewing the video peake had a better game then I expected disposal wise

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Leo.J
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Couple of things...

Tom Lynch's disposal is a real ??? and I have watched him on nearly 20 occasions.....his ability to create by foot is VG but can be very poor with the ball...ala Raph Clarke

Sam Fisher tends to just absolutely bomb the ball or elevate passes to high....pretty good kicking around the corner...

I counted goalkicking as a part of disposal....because it IS a disposal by foot....the most important one..

Kids at 21/22 have been playing footy for 10 years....if they are bad kicks, they aren't improving too much...too hard to detrain thousands of hours of practice..

Disposal efficiency is not the measure I consider the most damning...

Clangers cause big turnovers, which result in goals...

look at the first three geelong goals last night...

and the way we enter the ball inside 50 is abymal at times....

ie/ Montagna short pass inside 50, missed the target...turn-over geelong ran through the middle....S.Johnson spotted up Mooney....

In the first Quarter we were 1 point down after dominating play, why was that????????
Like the GF....we did not make the most of the hard work by capitalising on opportunities going fwd, and turned it over giving up cheap goals coming out......

Second Q. they dominated and capitalised....

3rd Q and Last Q we smashed them, regardless of disposal
IMO disposal accuracy is 50% technique, and 50% psychological.

Alot of our mistakes last night were born out of percieved pressure...

I agree we are not the most skilled team in the comp, but when we are playing with confidence our skills improve immensly.

This is the same of any side though.

One thing that I've notice is that we are well drilled in giving it to the better kicks in the side, especially in defence.

Baker, Zac and Blake are not great by foot, and I believe are incouraged to give it off to our better skilled defenders if possible.

We know our limitations and we play to them quite well when we don't let the pressure get to us.

shmic_s
Club Player

Dawson, Dempster and Gram all above Fisher?!

I do agree with your point though. It is something Ross seems to be trying to fix with the drafting of Heyne and Winmar.

It comes down to quality disposal under the intense pressure that the top teams put on the players with the ball. But we saw Geelong make plenty of mistakes once our pressure on the ball carrier increased.