Back Six

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Finna
Club Player

Back Six

I am a fan of Dawson and have always been a supporter of his selection in the team.

Tonight i thought that we looked more flexible and skillful down back. I really liked Geary and Dempster as well. Thought Baker was instrumental with his work on Johnson and Blake Fisher and Gilbert were good as usual.

I say Dawson and Raff have to earn their spot back in the team. Its good to see some depth emerging again.

Good to know we can cover injuries.

GO SAINTS!

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Seemed more dynamic definitely.

Might be worth keep R.Clarke and Dawson out for quite a while longer to see how Dempster and Geary go.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
wraiyth
Club Player

I like Dempster in the side, he was quiet in the first half but definitely adds a mature body and a bit of hardness. Decent swing man too, I think he kicked a few last year playing in the forward line. Dawson and Clarke definitely need to earn their spot, and if our back 6 hold up like this I think it'll be tough. They've been doin the job...

jmac101
Club Player

still like dawsons ability to take the big forwards.

tonight was a wet night so we didn't miss him as much. but i reckon we need that shut down option.

Finna
Club Player

jmac101 wrote:still like dawsons ability to take the big forwards.

tonight was a wet night so we didn't miss him as much. but i reckon we need that shut down option.
I thought Blake did a great job on Pod tonight in a shut down role. He's a very good spoiler and a good option for bigger defenders.

I think having Dempster and Gwilt playing well we can use Blake more in a stopping role against the bigger guys.

I just think Dawson needs to earn his spot and wait for an opportunity like some of our other guys.

Its good to have options.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Back Six

Finna wrote:Thought Baker was instrumental with his work on Johnson...
bakes was off johnson by the end of the second quarter and dempster had him for the rest of the match.

felixleo
Club Player

I think Gwilt has the body to go with some of the bigger forwards and his flexibility puts him ahead of Zac IMO

Are you gonna be the one?
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dempster, for a bloke who has been out for what seems like years, was outstanding.

Defensively we've just taken it up a notch. I firmly believe that.

And it's scary.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Finna
Club Player

Re: Back Six

bergholt wrote:
Finna wrote:Thought Baker was instrumental with his work on Johnson...
bakes was off johnson by the end of the second quarter and dempster had him for the rest of the match.
True. But when Baker was off the field Johnson got more into the game and did some damage.

Agree he was beaten in 2nd half by Dempster also.

But he stood up to him, took a hit and came back on. He made a statement and showed good leadership all night.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

just remember though, geelong had a number of players out.

and the 2 players that came in mooney and scarlett had not played in a while

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:just remember though, geelong had a number of players out.

and the 2 players that came in mooney and scarlett had not played in a while
Um. Roo out. Gram out. Dawson out. Dempster first one back. Steven forst in since the Dogs game.

We beat them with system and discipline.

Huge win. Don't in any way soften that effort with ifs and maybes. Kudos where deserved.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'