Channel 9 News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: So what are the ones in yours, Legendary?
And if all this happens: "There will be an investigation ... The police will find nothing wrong ... Put to rest ... This bloke will go away and crawl back to wherever he is from.", where does that leave us?
Will we have someone who raped someone and got off, at our club? And if so, is that OK with you?
And no-one here seems to have said one word about the girl Milney was alleged to have raped.
What if that was your daughter, or your wife, mother, or sister, if it happened?
Would we all be OK with that, because he kicks lots of goals for us?
I have plenty of skeletons in my closet. I've done many things I'm not proud of.

No-one has been raped.
No-one was ever convicted with rape.
No-one was ever charged with rape.
No-one has been alleged to have raped anyone.

This is an issue of sexual assault.

They are two very different things, both in the eyes of the law and the eyes of the public.

Get your facts straight before climbing onto your moral high horse.

There is no suggestion that what is alleged to have occured has in any way perverted the course of justice.

The DPP did not feel there was sufficient evidence to proceed.

St Kilda footballers complied with the police investigation.

I cannot for legal reasons comment on the woman involved, but I would like to be able to.

Please do not go mouthing off and jumping on some moral high horse. I have been in the position of being a friend of someone who was raped, I have dealt with people both accused and victims of this sort of thing, and you need to be careful.

Nothing wrong was found to have occured.
There was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
Several police and lawyers were involved.
The statutory limitation period has passed.
The woman has sought legal advice and obviously could not even raise enough evidence to bring a civil suit to bear, so the case could thus not be too strong.

No-one is guilty of anything.

No-one has done anything wrong.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

as above.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
St Michele wrote:You know when I first heard this story I was worried about Milne and Montagna being dragged through all this again but I have been thinking about the girl concerned. She would have moved on with her life and is now having to deal with it being dragged up and the faint glimmer of hope they might make charges stick again. This would be very stressful for her as well and unfair to maybe give her false hope.
Great post, St Michele and great to have another perspective.

The media are so busy trying to expose the scandal, they clearly have not even considered that perhaps the girl wants to get on with her life. Now 6 years later she has to relive it. Has the media talked about her?
Yeah the alleged victim may want to get on with her life, but this recent story seems to resonate re a suggestion of a police corruption...

This is not a story that will rest and if there is multitudinous of a police involvement you are so naive to even consider

and also the possibility of of writ against Vic Pol...

This is just....

a possibility

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
St Michele wrote:You know when I first heard this story I was worried about Milne and Montagna being dragged through all this again but I have been thinking about the girl concerned. She would have moved on with her life and is now having to deal with it being dragged up and the faint glimmer of hope they might make charges stick again. This would be very stressful for her as well and unfair to maybe give her false hope.

The media are so busy trying to expose the scandal, they clearly have not even considered that perhaps the girl wants to get on with her life. Now 6 years later she has to relive it. Has the media talked about her?
Yeah the alleged victim may want to get on with her life, but this recent story seems to resonate re a suggestion of a police corruption...

This is not a story that will rest and if there is multitudinous of a police involvement you are so naive to even consider

This is just....

a possibility
A writ by who against who?

Are you suggesting that the girl involved could sue the police over this?
Even though the DPP found 'no case to answer'?

Is that possible?
Surely not?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

This is just....

a possibility
There is no naivete, St F. Chill out. Of course there are those possibilities. Non mention of them is not due to naivete. That's exactly the sort of stuff that turns debate downhill. We can disagree without you calling us naive. Just disagree with a statement and keep to the topic not the poster.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Wed 23 Jun 2010 12:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting comment from Saints board at BigFooty - sure could be cr@p we are all speculating......but I for one am interested in this ex-coppers motives for coming out now....and Im not a huge believer his conscience just got the better of him now...

[QUOTE=BrianSpeaking;18164999]Have heard from a well informed source that he has allegedly fallen on hard times and had a person negotiate a fee with A Current Affair for his story. If so then he has no credibility and this case has no chance of getting up again, and you can guarantee the cops involved who are still in the force won't change their story or view of the alleged events.[/QUOTE]

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Can not believe some of the alleged comments mentioned by the journos

Cost too much!! ..........??? etc

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/invest ... 5882983027

saint4life
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Can not believe some of the alleged comments mentioned by the journos

Cost too much!! ..........??? etc

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/invest ... 5882983027
Heard that in the Ch9 report that they were worried that IF they lost the case, it would cost the division a lot of money.

So IF they pressed charges, is it fair to say that confidence levels were not high in the division and they may have not be confident about getting a conviction? Just curious. Are there holes opening in their arguments?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Another terrible use of words

Why the use of the word St Kilda.........??

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/edi ... 5882958963

plus 3aw first mentioned re ex member allegations should be investigated

Herald Sun drinking its own bathwater...................

dramatic turn after Herald sun demanded............... :roll:

saint4life
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

This is just....

a possibility
There is no naivete, St F. Chill out. Of course there are those possibilities. Non mention of them is not due to naivete. That's exactly the sort of stuff that turns debate downhill. We can disagree without you calling us naive. Just disagree with a statement and keep to the topic not the poster.
That was not directly intended towards your good self...

Yes I did quote you, but....

naivete or is that..naïveté ??

Do you and others think this is about the ST Kilda Football Club and two players???

Wake up FFS.,..

It's not about the Club , but about an alleged "Pervert The Course Of Justice" against members and former members of Victoria Police...

Has that sunk in yet???

And you are a mod???

Get a grip IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

This is just....

a possibility
That was not directly intended towards your good self...

Yes I did quote you, but....

naivete or is that..naïveté ??

Do you and others think this is about the ST Kilda Football Club and two players???

Wake up FFS.,..

It's not about the Club , but about an alleged "Pervert The Course Of Justice" against members and former members of Victoria Police...

Has that sunk in yet???

And you are a mod???

Get a grip IMO
St Fid I still don't think you get why most of us are upset about this. It's not the actual story. If it was present as it should have been then it would be a extremely important investigation.

But go have a look at the original report and the Herald Sun response and you will see it's content focuses on the police corruption but the images and headline is focused on the Club, players and women involved.

BTW I have known alot of similar things happening in another station in the south of melbourne. Not going to name names, but 99% had nothing to do with footballers.... it revolved around people who knew people would lean on people. Thats the story from this.... it's disgusting that the club, players an women got caught up in it.

BTW I have contacted media watch to ask them to investigate. I hope they do, perhaps push about money for the interview

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

From the reports anybody would think that the police force was staffed entirely by St Kilda supporters. I dearly wish that were true, but logically the percentage would be under 10%.

So that means that there's actually 90% of the force that would love to see charges laid, and St Kilda's season derailed. Not to mention a bloodsucking media.

So yeah, there's a real question about justice when it comes to footballers' indiscretions. But I'm not sure it's in the way everyone assumes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: So what are the ones in yours, Legendary?
And if all this happens: "There will be an investigation ... The police will find nothing wrong ... Put to rest ... This bloke will go away and crawl back to wherever he is from.", where does that leave us?
Will we have someone who raped someone and got off, at our club? And if so, is that OK with you?
And no-one here seems to have said one word about the girl Milney was alleged to have raped.
What if that was your daughter, or your wife, mother, or sister, if it happened?
Would we all be OK with that, because he kicks lots of goals for us?
I have plenty of skeletons in my closet. I've done many things I'm not proud of.

No-one has been raped.
No-one was ever convicted with rape.
No-one was ever charged with rape.
No-one has been alleged to have raped anyone.

This is an issue of sexual assault.

They are two very different things, both in the eyes of the law and the eyes of the public.

Get your facts straight before climbing onto your moral high horse.

There is no suggestion that what is alleged to have occured has in any way perverted the course of justice.

The DPP did not feel there was sufficient evidence to proceed.

St Kilda footballers complied with the police investigation.

I cannot for legal reasons comment on the woman involved, but I would like to be able to.

Please do not go mouthing off and jumping on some moral high horse. I have been in the position of being a friend of someone who was raped, I have dealt with people both accused and victims of this sort of thing, and you need to be careful.

Nothing wrong was found to have occured.
There was insufficient evidence to prosecute.
Several police and lawyers were involved.
The statutory limitation period has passed.
The woman has sought legal advice and obviously could not even raise enough evidence to bring a civil suit to bear, so the case could thus not be too strong.

No-one is guilty of anything.

I have heard otherwise about the statutory limitation period having passed. A case can be re opened anytime.

I have not heard anything to say that the full evidence was not presented and that the bried to the DPP was compromised. There is a difference.

I'm afraid that this will now drag on and used as a political football about Police corruption. It is an election year after all.

No-one has done anything wrong.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Simon Illingworth, Vic Police whisle blower on 774 Jon Faine now saying how his wife who was assisting the victim in Victim Support Unit is backing up the story of the two detectives. He says that she had to meet Gladman in the street and that his wife thought this was very strange.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:St Fid I still don't think you get why most of us are upset about this. It's not the actual story.
It still won't sink in...we've been trying for about 4 pages now.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

This whole case stinks to high heaven. IMO I can't see how anyone could be prosecuted given the farcial handling of events. How can anyone believe anything the Vic Police say, they have no crediblity left. I'm sure they will get savaged in court by lawyers and are setting themselves up for a huge fall.
Last edited by Moccha on Wed 23 Jun 2010 12:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another opportunity awaits!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fresh ... utostart=1

...latest on a very sorry state of affairs....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No new evidence. Nothing at all to say the players were dishonest or did not cooperate. The DPP made a considered decision about the merits of the case as they over and over every day.

In the way it is being presented, this 'story' is not news.

It is s stinky beat up. No more, no less.

That the story is out there is a horribly sad reflection on the unimpeded power of media in the judicial space.

Ask yourself this: even if the investigation was reopened, what chance of a fair trial?

Absolutely completely and utterly impossible.

And the end result of it all?

Those Hun and Ch 9 media sales guys and gals keep making cold calls to prospectives and saying 'did you see the spike in hits, viewers and readers'.

So, so miserably pathetic.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone here Sly on 3AW this morning?

I don't mind listening to him occasionally and usually take his stories with a grain of salt. This morning he spoke about the case and said that all this stuff that has come out is fine but at no point did anyone did anyone say that the investigating officers did not complete the investigation to the best of their ability.

Yes there may have been pressure - and we don't know if that is from senior police officials or other bozos in the force making a call and saying, "come on let it go". Both of these is inappropriate.

If the pressure was reported then the likely response from the bosses would have been, "do your job".

Again, at no point has anyone said that the investigation was compromised. A complete brief was given to the DPP and the decision was made not to proceed.

Again the media is choosing its words and only telling part of the story to create headlines.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i haven't been following this thread. Too distressing.

Someone might have already raised these two questions, but here goes anyway.

1) Was the former copper paid for his appearance on Channel 9?

and

2) Why did this man leave the police force.

Joey
Club Player

fingers wrote:Anyone here Sly on 3AW this morning?

I don't mind listening to him occasionally and usually take his stories with a grain of salt. This morning he spoke about the case and said that all this stuff that has come out is fine but at no point did anyone did anyone say that the investigating officers did not complete the investigation to the best of their ability.

Yes there may have been pressure - and we don't know if that is from senior police officials or other bozos in the force making a call and saying, "come on let it go". Both of these is inappropriate.

If the pressure was reported then the likely response from the bosses would have been, "do your job".

Again, at no point has anyone said that the investigation was compromised. A complete brief was given to the DPP and the decision was made not to proceed.

Again the media is choosing its words and only telling part of the story to create headlines.
Thats the whole point, none of these two detectives have said that their actual investigation was compromised or that they didn't do their job properly. Alternitavely, they are accusing the DPP of being influenced not to persue the case, which is rubbish.

It would be nice if someone asked these to former cops if they completed their investigation to the best of their abitlity or if in fact they are guilty of not investigating the matter fully. That would blow channel nines story!

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
markp
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

This guy was in charge of the investigation, is he saying he was compromised?? So some people 'lobbied', foolishly,vigorously, perhaps even illegally... but unless he himself concedes he relented to this pressure, the only other possible implication is that the DPP is corrupt.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

You my St Kilda friend are a VERY WISE man.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

What a bloody disgrace!

Just popped out for a Latte and was confronted with the front page of the Hun with its "sex sells" headline and an enormous photo of Milney.

The allegations, and that's all they are, centre around a Saints loving copper exerting undue influence in order to have the case dropped.

If they needed to use a graphic on the front page it should have been the Vic Police emblem or a big pic of Simon Overpaid!

Regardless of what you think happened or didn't happen, Milney does not deserve this!!! :evil:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sly is an award winn crim journalist. He is one of the better ones. He has a lot of cred.