Channel 9 News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainterman
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

They didn't really attack anyone except for the senior policeman involved. But they showed shot after shot of Joey and Milne and and mentioned both their names and the club's name about 953 times.

The ads also suggested that this story would 'rock the AFL'.

Not sure how the hell it rocks the AFL at all.
I missed the story but saw the headlines at the end of the bulletin and they ran more than a few seconds on Joey and Milnye footage, and then say more to come...

they don't show a hidden faced informant- they show constant vision of two Saints players form 6 years ago

conspiracy theories abound because Mr Malthouse decided to raise the issue in rnd 3- and again made a vague comment on tv last week- may be only coincidence But it sure doesn't seem like it....
What was the comment last week?

Really poor journalism here all up, but in this day and age it really seems to be the norm to operate in this way.

I also think it is a long bow to draw to involve Eddie and MM the way some on here have, but I will say the comments made by MM at qtr time of the Collingwood game, coupled with the recent sex scandal, and the AL issue make this topic a very easy one to get back up the news rotations.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:It would appear from the report that Ch9 are taking a punt on uncovering something unsavoury, not in the public interest, but in Ch9's interest, and in the process are putting Milne and Montagna through the same "trial by media" that they went through in 2004. It's interesting to see folks comparing the Lovett case to this one. I believe there's a vital difference here, Lovett will have a chance to defend himself in court. At the time of the incident, I was relieved to see the charges dropped, and thats where the matter should end, as far as I'm concerned.
I think that this (ex) police officer should refelect on how this makes him look! To give some perspective to the issue, we should also imagine that the two footballers are with another club, how would we be reacting to the story then? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE!!!!!
The report certainly does Ch9 no favours for mine. Here's a TV station that has made millions of dollars by glamourising these criminals (Underbelly) and now goes on a "crusade" against Police corruption by dredging up the Milne/Montagna case from 2004.
Underlines just why the tabloid media as a whole should be boycotted
I will be honest and say I would give them grief.... but only because I would not spend the time actually listening to the report..... I would see the images and think "bloody rapists".....

And thats wht upsets me the most about this. A club, two players and their families are being pulled through the coals after a terrible gutter piece of crap. How dare they present it how they did. How dare they not ask ANY quetions as to why he did not do anything at the time, what proof of this happening does he have etc. And HOW DARE THEY GO TO AIR WITHOUT ASKING FOR COMMENT FROM THE CLUB, AFL, POLICE ......

DISGRACE!!! I told them what I thought, I will actually not watch the mentalist tonight and will boycott their channel from now on. I have contacted the companies whose adds were part of that telecast telling them I will not be using their products or buying things from their stores.

It's disgusting... Stephen's kid will go to school and get it all over again. This is not fair. I hope the club, players and those in the police take action over this.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Michele
Club Player

Have just written this in reply to the article

How is dragging some men who have not been charged with an offence after being investigated 6 years ago news. What a disgrace that this is in the news, if there is a problem with the process this should be a police isssue not a crucify by media one.

Luckily the Eagles are doing so badly we didn't get in in Perth.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Finey read out a statement from the club on SEN just before 8.00pm.

Basically said that the St Kilda Football Club would not be commenting on Internal Police Matters, and that the club and players fully co-operated with the investigation at the time !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My view has always been "One story's good...untiul another one's told"
and the sad fact is that Ch9 are simply taking the word of one person and running with it without Milne or Montagna being given the chance to defend themselves and their good names. Sordid it may have been, but what took place at the time appears to have had no basis for legal action against either player. I think it rich for a TV channel that consistently uses tittilation and innuendo for its ratings to be "crusading" on this issue.
the answer? Boycott 'em!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

What pisses me off about this whole revisiting of the saga is that it will give positive reinforcement to the f-wits from other clubs who insist on making 'rapist' remarks every time Milney (or to a lesser extent Joey) goes near the ball on a weekend. It's about the only thing these days that gets me riled enough to get into a fight, but I always defend them first by reminding the jerk in question that the boys were never charged with anything because they clearly had no case to answer.

This is definitely still true - nothing in the 'news' report suggested to me that any of the alleged acts of interference by the police at the time would have in any way led to there being a case to answer if they hadn't happened (making this whole going back to the event a ratings grab pure and simple) - but it's still going to make it look like 'where there's smoke there's fire' and give a whole new generation of idiots ammunition to throw at us on weekends for footy seasons to come. Fabulous...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
AlpineStars
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
"The operation I was head of was very badly policed".
So, as head of the operation, he had the opportunity to blow the whistle on this 6 years ago. Hmm bit scared of losing his own job perhaps, seeing that if it was "very badly policed" the buck would stop with him
But now he's retired...so he rings one of his media contacts and tells him he has a story?

:roll:

Spot on, should have done his job properly six years ago, they take an oath to up hold law and order and this knob didn't (according to himself).

Wake me up when September ends.
Legendary
Club Player

Firstly, the statute of limitations has now expired for any civil action in this matter (7 years), so there is no way anyone involved can have civil charges brought against them.

The criminal case will not be re-opened ... I have spoken to a serving detective at the time who told me that from what he had heard, there was insufficient evidence for any charge to be successfully prosecuted.

So criminally they are in the clear as well.

This is purely and simply an issue about internal police processes, internal police corruption and the desperate need we have for a proper corruption authority in this state.

HOWEVER, as an 'internal police' issues, it ranks nowhere near any of the recent OPI bungled investigations etc ...

SO I don't understand why it's even a story?

I'm sorry, what are they suggesting ... that some retired cop in charge of an investigation was crap at his job and couldn't control his team of officers to keep track of evidence?

Or that he permitted senior officers to intervene in his investigation? Or was willing to sacrifice his integrity for the sake of his career?

This is the biggest needle in a haystack.

The headline should read "Further allegations of high-level corruption rock the police force".

Nothing to do with St Kilda.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

they will interview one of the girls next

#1 Ryder fan
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Club comment
CEO Club comment
9:04 PM Mon 21 June, 2010

In relation to a story that aired on a news service this evening, Monday 21st June, regarding a police investigation that took place in 2004, St Kilda CEO Michael Nettlefold has said the following;

“The Club does not intend to comment on internal police matters, however what I can say is that at the time of the police investigation, six years ago, both the Club and the players fully cooperated with the investigation.â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
lurker#134
Club Player

I'm glad its had been shown that things like this have bugger all effect on- field. Am looking forward to Friday.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

No mention of Ch 9's report on Foxtel's "On The Couch" at all. Interesting.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

I think its funny that no other channel has decided to air this story....mabye because its bogus!
Eddie is just having a sad because he has realised that he should never had picked up luke ball :)

Sainter for life.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:No mention of Ch 9's report on Foxtel's "On The Couch" at all. Interesting.
along those lines the only other ' online' outlet to run it is Fox Sports

But Herald-Sun have a time-line photo-montage which even goes to show the players home
and a video link
along with written article

One week at time' yet to mention anything.-

PS or maybe they are prerecorded as has been hinted at before....

I can't see how it is more important than 3 Australian Soldiers being killed in action as has runon the 10pm radio news :shock:
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 21 Jun 2010 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
happy feet
Club Player

Revenge

They say revenge is a dish best eaten cold. Who do we think is behind this story and why air it now?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Victoria Police on Monday night said they had not previously heard of Gladman's claims, but would now investigate them.

"In the six years that have passed, not once have these allegations - and they are extremely serious allegations - been raised with our Ethical Standards Department," police assistant director for media Charles Morton said in a statement.

"If they had been, then, they would have been investigated as a matter of priority because we will not tolerate inappropriate behaviour.

"It is our understanding that the allegations of rape were thoroughly investigated at the time and in a professional manner.

"However, after receiving advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions it was concluded that there was insufficient evidence for charges to be laid.

"It is disappointing that these new claims have come to light so long after the events.

"We will now take a look at what has been said and decide what further actions might need to be taken."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... -ys6v.html

lurker#134
Club Player

I'm glad that report is more balanced than the hun.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

All to familar those club statements, how many have we had

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
markp
Saintsational Legend

lurker#134 wrote:I'm glad that report is more balanced than the hun.
How about 'SAINTS SEX COVER UP' as a choice of headline by the hun?? :roll:

Stating in the first sentence that charges were dropped (when they were never laid) is unforgivable in itself, and perhaps indicative of the degree of professionalism being demonstrated here.

This chap is gonna have to name names when this is investigated now...

Channel 9 would wanna be bloody sure he is totally credible.

BigD
Club Player

Interesting to see GT's reaction to this on Footy Classified tonight.

I would expect him (and Caro come to think of it) to come out swinging in support of the players and damning gutter journalism. They are both, on the other hand, on a Channel 9 show and being paid by 9, as is Hutchy.

Find out soon enough....

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun and channel nine should both cop a complete blanket media ban from the club for the rest of the year.

Memberships are almost at the cut off point...they have nothing for us.

Seriously.....

The horse shyte on the herald sun site is just woeful.

"Saints sex cover up".

Yeah righto.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

when it first came out i can remember it bringing the playing group and the club very close together.

we smashed geelong in the (then) wizard cup final and won 10 straight to start 2004.

let's hope this unbalanced eddie/malthouse inspired report has the same result.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

hello..FC are right into it, Im sure this is a Collingscum/MM deal in at least some small way. Hatchet job.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/footyshow/fe ... ormid=2466

feedback form For FC and plenty of advrtising for tomorrow's follow up.......... :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
conspiracy theories abound because Mr Malthouse decided to raise the issue in rnd 3- and again made a vague comment on tv last week- may be only coincidence But it sure doesn't seem like it....
agree wholeheartedly. Way too big a coincidence. Malthouse mouthing off. Channel Eddie..... Id say they have been sitting this on a while. Who knows maybe years.

Wonder if the channel 9 interviews are paid for. It appears the Tuesday night interview is going to be bigger with one of the girls.

If this story is legit it should have gone through proper channels. And "channel 9" is not a proper channel.