Channel 9 News...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I think the actual story is big news. Obviously it's just one dudes word against others - but the story of 'police corruption' is a big story.

The problem with it, is that they've clearly burnt Milne, Montagna in the process.

Apart from the 'Channel 9 aren't suggesting Milne and Montagna are guilty' line, it deadset fried them both.
fried milney. not really fried montagna. certainly a big story about boys in blue culture. its about improper and corrupt police practices. which is common.

secondly it also explains why malthouse refused to apologise to milney.
and make no mistake about how much influence eddie has at channel 9 and in melbourne in general. he would have personally pursued this story using channel 9 resources and mick malthouse would have been aware of this story for some time.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Basically a lot of crap. Will not go any further. Have no idea why the story is being run. Just like the rest of the bad luck we have had this year will only make us stronger.

rexy
SS Life Member

supersaints wrote:I'm totaly p....d off. I guess Edjob didn't like it that Malthead was forced to apologise, guess its his way of getting back at Milney... its disgusting
Wonder what team the ex cophead barracks for...
Whilst I can see the question being asked about Eddy Maguires involvement has some merit, and I agree that Eddy would be embaressed by his club having to apologise by way of there coach being seen to be in the wrong, I dubt that the footy team the ex cop barracks for has any real relevance to the issue?

This sort of journalism annoys me as to me there is either no story, or there is a breach of police integrity which should be fully investigated and the appropriate action taken against the people involved, even if they are from our club. Not some drivel in between full of maybes and what ifs and supposedlys.

I know that i will be shouted down but i cant help but think that Milne should have refused to answer any questions regarding the Malthouse incident when he did his interviews preceeding his 200th game?

Maybe this year?
manoffewwords
Club Player

I'd forget the Eddy Conspiracy and think more about a link to the Lovett affair. The timeline on th HS story really seems to be a reporter pointing out how differently M&M were treated as compared to Lovett.
I think someone is making a point or payback in relation to that incident.

Say something once why say it again?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I'm totaly p....d off. I guess Edjob didn't like it that Malthead was forced to apologise, guess its his way of getting back at Milney... its disgusting
Wonder what team the ex cophead barracks for...
malthouse never apologised. a legalistic letter was sent from pies to saints after the 1/4 time incident to diffuse further action.

now we know why. eddie and mick probably been sitting on this a while and have pursued it using channel 9 resources.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I think the actual story is big news. Obviously it's just one dudes word against others - but the story of 'police corruption' is a big story.

The problem with it, is that they've clearly burnt Milne, Montagna in the process.

Apart from the 'Channel 9 aren't suggesting Milne and Montagna are guilty' line, it deadset fried them both.
fried milney. not really fried montagna. certainly a big story about boys in blue culture. its about improper and corrupt police practices. which is common.
The ex Police officer interviewed also said that Stephen Milne is innocent until proven guilty but alleged that he never got to that stage because the process was not followed. Joey was not mentioned. So I don't believe any frying happened to the Saints boys.

In a legal sense, this is more of an indictment of the specific police allegedly involved in the investigation and could be interpreted as negligence on the part of the officer interviewed because he did not blow the whistle in 2004.

Joey
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: fried milney. not really fried montagna. certainly a big story about boys in blue culture. its about improper and corrupt police practices. which is common.
Thats what i'm trying to understand, at the time they were both acussed, now the report in the Sun is saying "Rape charges against Saints star Stephen Milne were dropped after threats from other police, a former detective claims."

And from memory they were never charged, just under investigation.

This is all just rubbish journalism looking for ratings. Just loved the end of the news report saying "Tune in tomorrow for more dtails"

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

manoffewwords wrote:I'd forget the Eddy Conspiracy and think more about a link to the Lovett affair. The timeline on th HS story really seems to be a reporter pointing out how differently M&M were treated as compared to Lovett.
dunno about that. its more about police behaviour. but eddy will have been involved in this for sure.

but i agree. eddy is not the story. cop behaviour is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
manoffewwords wrote:I'd forget the Eddy Conspiracy and think more about a link to the Lovett affair. The timeline on th HS story really seems to be a reporter pointing out how differently M&M were treated as compared to Lovett.
dunno about that. its more about police behaviour. but eddy will have been involved in this for sure.

Why would Eddie be involved?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

In your opinion, or would you care to enlighten us with some proof on that?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rexy
SS Life Member

Joey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: fried milney. not really fried montagna. certainly a big story about boys in blue culture. its about improper and corrupt police practices. which is common.
Thats what i'm trying to understand, at the time they were both acussed, now the report in the Sun is saying "Rape charges against Saints star Stephen Milne were dropped after threats from other police, a former detective claims."

This is all just rubbish journalism looking for ratings. Just loved the end of the news report saying "Tune in tomorrow for more dtails"
Is that slander, to say someone was charged with Rape when they were not?

Maybe this year?
markp
Saintsational Legend

Higher ranked officers and the then-Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Coughlan QC, declined to prosecute Milne, saying there was no chance of a conviction.
This is certainly someone who should feel seriously compelled to respond.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Thinline wrote:Like even the worst fart, the stench will soon dissipate.

Non story.

No one else is running it.

Don't worry.
Exactly...not even that flagship of all things beat-up, the Herald Sun, has it anywhere on their website

Says it all really
:shock:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/st-kil ... 5882432318
Ha. Spoke too soon!

"There was a case to answer, but that was for a jury to decide." For a bloke so conscious of 'innocent pre guilty' this 'retired cop' does a good job of sinking the guilt hatchet.

As if this snivelling little turd hasn't had his pockets lined by Ch 9.

Out of interest, was he asked why he left the force?

Oh well. Yet another speed hump that won't stop us winning.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Why would Eddie be involved?
If Eddy was heavily involved, we should be pleased. Most on here reckon he's an also ran who doesn't do anywhere near enough.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Joey
Club Player

rexy wrote:
Joey wrote:

Not sure but further down the story it says that 'He says it was decided after “vigorous debateâ€

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

Didn't really attack Joey at all. Only Milne.

Interesting, wonder if Mick the Liar had a hand in this!

The investigation continued through it's process despite perceived 'pressure' to drop it. They had no evidence to support the claims - case was dropped - end of story.

Seriously though, as though police corruption is anything new. This is actually quite mild to some of the incidents that have been relayed to me via a friend high up in the force.
They didn't really attack anyone except for the senior policeman involved. But they showed shot after shot of Joey and Milne and and mentioned both their names and the club's name about 953 times.

The ads also suggested that this story would 'rock the AFL'.

Not sure how the hell it rocks the AFL at all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:the end of the news report saying "Tune in tomorrow for more details"

im no expert. but not far off. depends on definition of "dropped" i guess.
but not far off i reckon.

BallBanger
Club Player

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:Did they give the name of the ex detective?

is this Eddies way of trying to back up Mick Mathouse's allegation?
By saying "we told you so"
Scott Gladman as reported by SEN

WHich is now leading it's Sports News with the story.

According to the police detective, another policeman, a Saints supporter, tried to stop him from investigating.
Didn't his brother Rodney play for us?
Did this guy approach ch9 or did channel 9 go looking for a story..because when media people look for a story they will find it (twisted facts etc)...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this story defames a number of pple...and in the end even an alleged offender can become a victim......this is now happening to milney.....

...i know Paul Coughlan...he is a decent person and a very good lawyer.......now a judge.....this story impinges on his integrity too......if paul states there was simply not enough evidence for a jury to convict...then there was not enough evidence...despite what this ex copper prick states.......end of story......

"Higher ranked officers and the then-Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Coughlan QC, declined to prosecute Milne, saying there was no chance of a conviction."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Joey
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
rexy wrote:the end of the news report saying "Tune in tomorrow for more details"

im no expert. but not far off. depends on definition of "dropped" i guess.
but not far off i reckon.
But charges can't be dropped if there not laid in the first place, as far as i can rmemeber they were under "Investigation" but were never charged.

Channel 9 is being careful with their words to try to cover themselves, stating in the story that they dont suggest either was guilty.

if this former detective was serious about bringing to light police corruption then he should have done it through the correct channels, not sensationalising it using the media

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Basically a lot of crap. Will not go any further. Have no idea why the story is being run. Just like the rest of the bad luck we have had this year will only make us stronger.
It's being run because 7 news beats 9 news and sex sells.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:this story defames a number of pple...and in the end even an alleged offender can become a victim......this is now happening to milney.....

...i know Paul Coughlan...he is a decent person and a very good lawyer.......now a judge.....this story impinges on his integrity too......if paul states there was simply not enough evidence for a jury to convict...then there was not enough evidence...despite what this ex copper prick states.......end of story......

"Higher ranked officers and the then-Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Coughlan QC, declined to prosecute Milne, saying there was no chance of a conviction."
i agree stinger. but i assume the cop is saying paul coghlan never received the correct evidence and therefore based his view on insufficient evidence cos there was other stuff this guy is claiming disappeared.

but yeah someone made a fair point. if there were procedural issues he should have gone through police integrity - who are after all a new organisation set up for this kind of thing.

seems a bit smelly he went to channel 9...

SaintDebi
Club Player

bigred wrote:Allianz
harvey Norman
the eagles :p
Are these definitely the relevent advertisers?
If so, the most effective way to sanction channel nine could be for as many as possible to contact these.

I have to wonder why anybody would give any credence to an ex cop whose conscience is somehow pricked 6 years after the event, but whose "integrity" apparently did not steer him through the right channels to challenge such "miscarriage of justice" at the time of the event.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

They didn't really attack anyone except for the senior policeman involved. But they showed shot after shot of Joey and Milne and and mentioned both their names and the club's name about 953 times.

The ads also suggested that this story would 'rock the AFL'.

Not sure how the hell it rocks the AFL at all.
I missed the story but saw the headlines at the end of the bulletin and they ran more than a few seconds on Joey and Milnye footage, and then say more to come...

they don't show a hidden faced informant- they show constant vision of two Saints players from 6 years ago

conspiracy theories abound because Mr Malthouse decided to raise the issue in rnd 3- and again made a vague comment on tv last week- may be only coincidence But it sure doesn't seem like it....
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 21 Jun 2010 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It would appear from the report that Ch9 are taking a punt on uncovering something unsavoury, not in the public interest, but in Ch9's interest, and in the process are putting Milne and Montagna through the same "trial by media" that they went through in 2004. It's interesting to see folks comparing the Lovett case to this one. I believe there's a vital difference here, Lovett will have a chance to defend himself in court. At the time of the incident, I was relieved to see the charges dropped, and thats where the matter should end, as far as I'm concerned.
I think that this (ex) police officer should refelect on how this makes him look! To give some perspective to the issue, we should also imagine that the two footballers are with another club, how would we be reacting to the story then? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE!!!!!
The report certainly does Ch9 no favours for mine. Here's a TV station that has made millions of dollars by glamourising these criminals (Underbelly) and now goes on a "crusade" against Police corruption by dredging up the Milne/Montagna case from 2004.
Underlines just why the tabloid media as a whole should be boycotted

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)