Footy>>>>>>>Soccer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Finna
Club Player

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No one hardly ever mentions in soccer what a great game they just played. They always say wasnt the atmosphere great. In footy we always mention the game first and then the atmosphere. To me that shows how great our game is.
Exactly!

How often would people be rushing out to buy a dvd copy of any soccer game?

Even the best games only contain about 30 seconds of highlights... compare that to something like the hawks/bombers clash on the weekend, or even any half decent AFL game: no contest.
Very naive posts.

I love both games. They are very different and must be appreciated for different reasons.

There must be a reason that it's called the world game. Obviously a few people don't find it too boring!

Also a lot of the zones and set ups that have been used in football for many years are not too different to what we now see in our great game. The whole strategy of maintaining possession is taken directly from football.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the battles in many scoreless draws in football.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

a silly, narrow minded thread.

they are two completely different games.

i like to enjoy watching both codes of football.

if you don't like the world cup, exercise some self-control and don't watch it. it is really as simple as that.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:a silly, narrow minded thread.

if you don't like the world cup, exercise some self-control and don't watch it. it is really as simple as that.
Same goes for this thread, chief.

Completely different games?... I'm sorry, I thought they were both football codes.

It's my opinion (and evidently that of a few others)... try to deal with it.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Sainternist wrote:a silly, narrow minded thread.

Same goes for this thread, chief.

Completely different games?... I'm sorry, I thought they were both football codes.

It's my opinion (and evidently that of a few others)... try to deal with it.
they are hugely different games. you are taking an almost zenaphobic view of soccer/football.

and i can deal with people having a difference of opinion. it's just difficult to comprehend why someone would watch something out of their own volition and then openly complain about it.

...but, you know... some people like to get their jollies out of whips and chains... whatever floats your boat... i guess.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if the entire population of New Zealand are currently shytting themselves that Rugby is under the threat from soccer and noone might go watch the All-Blacks or Super 14 any more??

No..didnt think so :roll:

Annoys me no end that anyone who dares to enjoy a winter sport other than AFL is somehow un-Australian

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I wonder if the entire population of New Zealand are currently shytting themselves that Rugby is under the threat from soccer and noone might go watch the All-Blacks or Super 14 any more??

Annoys me no end that anyone who dares to enjoy a winter sport other than AFL is somehow un-Australian
Not sure that was ever mentioned. Not sure many if any had a go at people liking soccer. This thread is about why we think footy is better than soccer. Surely we allowed that opinion.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: zenaphobic
Fear of enlightenment?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:I wonder if the entire population of New Zealand are currently shytting themselves that Rugby is under the threat from soccer and noone might go watch the All-Blacks or Super 14 any more??

Not sure that was ever mentioned. Not sure many if any had a go at people liking soccer. This thread is about why we think footy is better than soccer. Surely we allowed that opinion.
but is like comparing a pasta dish to a curry or something.

IT SO BLOODY STOOPID TO COMPARE THE TWO.

but feel free to wear your dunce hat, if you must.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF you find Soccer a bit slow, watch it at 30% faster than normal speed like I do if I tape a match.

Makes it about the same speed as footy, and only takes an hour to watch the whole game!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:...comparing a pasta dish to a curry or something.

IT SO BLOODY STOOPID TO COMPARE THE TWO.
Absolutely, curry is waaay better. Besides that, I agree. Now, go find some zen, it's really not that frightening.

Scottish Saint
Club Player

Re: Footy>>>>>>>Soccer

markp wrote:But perhaps worst of all is the way the solitary ref can determine the result of a game... in a way that must make some AFL umpire giddy with envy!
I reckon you'll find some Western Bulldgs fans who disagree with that re last year's preliminary final and what about Tom Hawkins' "goal" in the GF?

Also, the referee isn't the sole decision maker - there are two assistants.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'm offended there's even a comparison...

Soccer is a game for 3 kinds in this country-

1/Immigrants...fair enough,they were raised on it.

2/Unco Geeks...never fitted in growing up,as they couldn't play AFL,they got a chip on there shoulder about this. Now soccer has it's moment in the sun they emerge from libraries all around the country rejoicing,thinking this is there moment to pay back those AFL loving kids from there childhood..

3/Anti AFL chicks. Usually well travelled,hated AFL growing up,triple J listeners. Now they pretend to be soccer fans and to take an interest in the game. They use there facebook status updates to pretend they are really into the game by annoucing they are staying up all night to watch the socceroos. They feel very cultural,and again,it's mainly just there moment at trying say "cop that AFL fans".

What a shame the socceroos won't be sited in a world cup for at least another 8 years,i won't have to put up with any of this dribble from unco geeks and 'triple J listening,lived in Europe for 2 years' chicks

Bring back the Lockett era
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Football. :)

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

I grew up in England and followed soccer until I came to Australia in 1966 and saw Darrel Baldock play. I became a Saints fan then and remain so to this day, through thick and thin. Mostly thin. I love both games. You have no need to be overly sensitive about soccer. You have a great National game and need not fear soccer. Just take a while to appreciate it for what it is. A nil all draw can be enthralling. Millions watch it despite that possibility. Wake up, enjoy them both and don't feel the need to compare them, that is cringeworthy and silly. For the money I prefer Australian Rules. It is the most spectacular game I have ever seen but it will never travel. It really doesn't need to. And you need not be defensive about it.

Ian Cooper was too thin
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:IF you find Soccer a bit slow, watch it at 30% faster than normal speed like I do if I tape a match.

Makes it about the same speed as footy, and only takes an hour to watch the whole game!
Brilliant sp. :) :) :)
Ta, and not only that, it's not too fast, so you can keep up with all the set plays.....just bring it back to normal speed for corner kicks/plays near goal etc!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Good post Darrel Baldock

I agree - no need to be defensive or take swipes at soccer, the game or its fans and players... one sport doesn't have to negate or exclude the other.

Just as in movies some people prefer slow dramas to action movies... it's not because they are cultured snobs, it's just the way it is.

It is a world sport vs a local game - and I too personally prefer Aussie rules as a spectator sport... but I still keep an eye on the the world cup.

and jonesy how about some tolerance and an acceptance that people have their own preferences..