Should AFL take some things from Soccer???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Abxdul
Club Player

Should AFL take some things from Soccer???

Ive been watching the FIFA world cup and saw two things I think the AFL should use.
The first is the shaking hands of umpires and opposing teams before the game and the second is their advantage rule which is if there is a free kick and the umpire sees the the team with the free kick has the advantage he doesn't blow the whistle and allows play to continue because I know watching AFL when we blow the whistle players are told to stop which everyone does except for the player who takes the advantage continues play and everyone else is just standing there.
Your thoughts?

"Here's looking at you, kid."
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Re: Should AFL take some things from Soccer???

Abxdul wrote:Ive been watching the FIFA world cup and saw two things I think the AFL should use.
The first is the shaking hands of umpires and opposing teams before the game and the second is their advantage rule which is if there is a free kick and the umpire sees the the team with the free kick has the advantage he doesn't blow the whistle and allows play to continue because I know watching AFL when we blow the whistle players are told to stop which everyone does except for the player who takes the advantage continues play and everyone else is just standing there.
Your thoughts?
Agree completely.

I always thought that blowing the whistle and then shouting play-on to be ridiculous.

The argy-bargy bumping and shoving before the bounce is also quite ridiculous. Has all the integrity and the manliness of a dick-measuring contest. Shaking hands before the game is a good idea, after all, its only sport.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

They shake hands with the officials and then they spend 90 minutes verbally abusing them and physically intimidating them. No thanks.

The advantage rule is applied much better in soccer.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:They shake hands with the officials and then they spend 90 minutes verbally abusing them and physically intimidating them. No thanks.
Couldn't tell which sport you were talking about, until you mentioned the 90 minutes part.

ThePunter
Club Player

AFL is so much more like soccer than it used to be, I think we've adopted enough of their game for now.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:They shake hands with the officials and then they spend 90 minutes verbally abusing them and physically intimidating them. No thanks.
Couldn't tell which sport you were talking about, until you mentioned the 90 minutes part.
If you don't think the umpires get more respect in AFL, then I don't think you have ever watched a game of soccer.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Don't like the shaking hands before the game, with umpires maybe but not between players

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Solar
Saintsational Legend

we are the only sport where the umpire whistles first then calls advantage. Every other sport the umpire calls advantage until it's turned over or there is no advantage. Then they bring it back to the free kick. It's not hard, call the free and use the arm signal to show who it's for.... allow advantage if it's there and if it's not then bring it back. If it's a free and the opposition has it whistle straight away and award the free. Therefore if there is a whistle there is no excuse for the player to say "thought it was advantage etc".

Union, league, soccer etc. all do this?

Simple really and would make the game 1000% better

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
battye
Saintsational Legend

What about the vuvuzela?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I thought we going to have another thread about introducing the vuvuzela. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Don't like the shaking hands before the game, with umpires maybe but not between players
Brock? Is that you?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

There is no advantage rule in AFL, because the umpire blows the whistle and everyone either stops or half stops then the umpire has a think about it and calls play on advantage. Utterly ridiculous.
The problem is we have three umpires who can blow that whistle and if one doesn't the other two will.
The umps are all miked though, so it shouldn't be too hard for a call of advantage to be called before the whistle is blown and called back if there is no advantage.

Shaking hands before and after the game should just be a natural instinct. It was when I played footy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should AFL take some things from Soccer???

Abxdul wrote:Ive been watching the FIFA world cup and saw two things I think the AFL should use.
Your thoughts?
all valid points, but way to clever for Monkey Boy to understand....he will instead do some airy fairy changes and not tackle the meaty stuff once again.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Don't like the shaking hands before the game, with umpires maybe but not between players
Brock? Is that you?

Karma? :wink:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
If you don't think the umpires get more respect in AFL, then I don't think you have ever watched a game of soccer.
Actually, not only have I watched, I played, (too short for footy), and I also became a fully accredited referee.

Umpires get no more respect from the players or the crowd than soccer referees. However, the AFL have taken a far stronger stance with umpire abuse, and I am pleased to say that has filtered down to junior ranks.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I think this chipping it around in defence with lots of lateral and backward passing thing could catch on :P

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFL has already taken something from soccer. About a million fickle fans who jumped off after the 4 nil result. Aussies jumped on after the last WC but they needed a good performance in South Africa to consolidate the position of Soccer here.

There is a price to pay by over achieving- people expect you to back it up.

oh when
Club Player

Vuvuzela/Trumpets

I think you'll find a condition of entry to the MCG is that no trumpets/bugles allowed in ground.

Any of the old members of the Cheer Squad remember Horace the fog horn at the footy during the 70's.