Dipper stupidity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:Is it worse than saying bald fat and ugly..if so why?

Should not all remarks whether its colour religion race size shape appearance be banned?
Agree.

What Dipper said was wrong in the context of this world we live in now, but it was said in jest no doubt.

Time we ease up a bit and lighten up IMO.....I highly doubt Dipper would've said what he said at a kid's function/school etc....it was a sportsman's night FFS, that's what happens at those sort of events.

If we have to be all friggin PC at sportsman's nights, what hope is left in this world???

FWIW someone I worked with made a derogartory remark about people of my religion, but I had a laugh about as you do.......I'm sure Dipper isn't anti-Aboriginal, and those that heard him speak would've known that.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I think people play the race card way too early, way too conveniently..

when Raph farks up it has nothing to do with race...it is all about stupidity and that you still CAN comment on......
WTF??

For diper to state that Wanganeen was "not too bad for an Abo" is racist.

He could or should have just said that he wasn't a bad player, why bring up his race to start with?

Dipper is a dead set dipsh1t
WTF indeed.....i'm answering the dude who brought Raph into the debate..

read the whole thread and keep up.... :roll:
I've read the thread and I have kept up :roll:

Your suggestion that people play the race card way too early to me suggests that dipper is wrongly accused for his comments.

If not, why did you not quote the poster you were referring to :idea:

That said, you really have not commented on Dippers comments at all and really this thread was or is about Dipper's comments :idea: :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
bobmurray wrote:I think people play the race card way too early, way too conveniently..

when Raph farks up it has nothing to do with race...it is all about stupidity and that you still CAN comment on......
WTF??

For diper to state that Wanganeen was "not too bad for an Abo" is racist.

He could or should have just said that he wasn't a bad player, why bring up his race to start with?

Dipper is a dead set dipsh1t
WTF indeed.....i'm answering the dude who brought Raph into the debate..

read the whole thread and keep up.... :roll:
I've read the thread and I have kept up :roll:

Your suggestion that people play the race card way too early to me suggests that dipper is wrongly accused for his comments.

If not, why did you not quote the poster you were referring to :idea:

That said, you really have not commented on Dippers comments at all and really this thread was or is about Dipper's comments :idea: :roll:
i'm not interested in Dipper...i already know he's an idiot...i didn't see the need to bring Raph into the debate but once he was i felt the need to point out the difference between racism and stupidity and having to keep answering this particular point reinforces my thoughts on stupidity.....

:lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Should not all remarks whether its colour religion race size shape appearance be banned?
Agree.

What Dipper said was wrong in the context of this world we live in now, but it was said in jest no doubt.

Time we ease up a bit and lighten up IMO.....I highly doubt Dipper would've said what he said at a kid's function/school etc....it was a sportsman's night FFS, that's what happens at those sort of events.

If we have to be all friggin PC at sportsman's nights, what hope is left in this world???

FWIW someone I worked with made a derogartory remark about people of my religion, but I had a laugh about as you do.......I'm sure Dipper isn't anti-Aboriginal, and those that heard him speak would've known that.
It was NOT a Sportsmand's Night (even if that does provide some cover for imbecilic bigotry to rush to the surface. Not sure how, but even if...).

It was an Auskick function, not a Sportsman's Night (which wouldn't have been a reasonable excuse, anyway). Read the reports. The room was full of Auskick kiddies and their parents.

Too many people looking for way too many excuses for a idiot who knows stuff all about respect. Maybe if Dipierdedickhead had spent some time playing with a few indigenous fellas during his years at the Public Schoolboy footy club he might have learnt some respect (seriously, count the indigenous players at the HFC during his years). But, he didn't, and he, obviously, didn't.

You excuse him if you like. I'll stick to condemnation, 'cos that's what he deserves for such a torridly stupid bit of commentary to an audience full of Auskick kiddies.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Saintsfan
Club Player

With the way most are portrayed within the media mediums of course they are going to be the butt of most persons jokes'.

As a sector of the community they are perceived as a drunken, trouble making blight on the nation (rightly or wrongly)

What do we do with drunken, trouble-making blights on society as we know it?

We joke, talk down to at patronise.

This is not personal opinion however it is the way I see it.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Well I totally agree with you on that one. I am from Tassie and have had remarks made about that all my life as does our Kiwi friends etc. What is the difference. I do think people are overly sensative about the racial issue.

I do agree that Dipper especially in his position shouldn't have said it. He himself is from a multi cultural back ground, and has probably copped it over the years. I really don't think there was alot in it and doesn't deserve to loose his position but suspended yes.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saintsfan
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:

Well I totally agree with you on that one. I am from Tassie and have had remarks made about that all my life as does our Kiwi friends etc. What is the difference. I do think people are overly sensative about the racial issue.

I do agree that Dipper especially in his position shouldn't have said it. He himself is from a multi cultural back ground, and has probably copped it over the years. I really don't think there was alot in it and doesn't deserve to loose his position but suspended yes.
They are only words. Maybe they should stop being so precious and figure out why they are the joke of the nation as a race. Yes they have some role-models but fat lot of good that has done.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saints43
Club Player

Is it worse than saying bald fat and ugly..if so why?

So its ok to call someone a bald c.... because this does not hurt??
It's not OK to call someone a bald c.... And the issue would get more press if bald people had been categorised under the the Flora and Fauna Act rather being considered human beings until 1967.

If bald people had their culture systematically destroyed by the goverment.

If bald people had grown up in gerenerations of family dysfunction after being treated as poorly as any people in the history of the world over hundreds of years.

If you were more likely to be in jail if you had no hair. If bald people were dying in police prison cells often enough that the country had to run a Royal Commision to investigate.

If bald people could expect to live for about 20 years less than people with a full head of hair.

Is it so hard, considering that most of us have grown up with every opportunity that could be provided, to try and empathise with people who will find nearly every aspect of their lives more difficult just because they are born of a certain race?

Saintsfan
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:

It's not OK to call someone a bald c.... And the issue would get more press if bald people had been categorised under the the Flora and Fauna Act rather being considered human beings until 1967.

If bald people had grown up in gerenerations of family dysfunction after being treated as poorly as any people in the history of the world over hundreds of years.

If you were more likely to be in jail if you had no hair. If bald people were dying in police prison cells often enough that the country had to run a Royal Commision to investigate.

If bald people could expect to live for about 20 years less than people with a full head of hair.

Is it so hard, considering that most of us have grown up with every opportunity that could be provided, to try and empathise with people who will find nearly every aspect of their lives more difficult just because they are born of a certain race?
At the shopping centre this morning I saw groups of indigenous Australians with parents in their teens and 4+ children who looked like they needed a good wash and some new clothing.

Can they also use the stolent generation excuse?

The Saintsfan Cometh
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

At the shopping centre this morning I saw groups of indigenous Australians with parents in their teens and 4+ children who looked like they needed a good wash and some new clothing.

Can they also use the stolent generation excuse?

Face
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:

Tasmanian is a race? :?

Saintsfan
Club Player

Face wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:

Same difference. Ethnicity, colour, appearance and mental capacity all should be branched under the one umbrella.

Some use it as an excuse for failure and whinge about it.

'Wogs' have done well in this country. Why? Through hard work like all who succeed.

So have 'blackies' and 'chinky-chinks'.

They came to this country originally without a chance in hell of success. Look what happened through hard work and the desire to succeed.

Yet indigenous Australians of today still complain and carry on about the stolen generations/government mistreatment from generations past despite having nothing to do with it. Yes what happened was poor/terrible et al and nobody is stating otherwise however it happened a long time ago.

Mrs and Miss indigenous Australia with their 4-6 kids on welfare should not but somehow fall under this cateogory.

The Jews were persecuted. So have Muslims and so have Christians.

The Saintsfan Cometh
stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/national/afric ... -ymxh.html

"A panel of African leaders called for longer English training, skill recognition and making a course on racism part of school curriculum."

...not a bad idea.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints43
Club Player

Saintsfan wrote:Yet indigenous Australians of today still complain and carry on about the stolen generations/government mistreatment from generations past despite having nothing to do with it. Yes what happened was poor/terrible et al and nobody is stating otherwise however it happened a long time ago.
When you are older/more mature you will understand how big an effect the events and circumstances of your childhood and interaction with the wider world have on your future.

And you will probably be embarrased about what you have written.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Face wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:

i married a tasmanian ....we moved back to the mainland..thank god.........later ....when filling out a census form, under the heading..."year of arrival in australia"...she put the year we moved ....true story......tasmanians are tasmanians first, second and third.....if you ran into one of the overseas and asked them where they were from they would answer tasmania........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saintsfan
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:Yet indigenous Australians of today still complain and carry on about the stolen generations/government mistreatment from generations past despite having nothing to do with it. Yes what happened was poor/terrible et al and nobody is stating otherwise however it happened a long time ago.
When you are older/more mature you will understand how big an effect the events and circumstances of your childhood and interaction with the wider world have on your future.

Disagree. Indigenous Australians all of 18 whinge, complain and carry on about the stolen generations.

It's almost taboo to criticise some for being an ineffectual menace on society.

Are the Jews still whinging and using the Holocaust as an excuse for a lack of success? No. 70+ years on and you would not (i.e read about a 20 year old Jew complaining about the Holocaust yet it would not be too difficult to find a 20 year old indigenous Australia who will happily whinge about the stolen generation).

Easy example. Easy comparison.

Indigenous Australians cannot be criticised in this nation because it is deemed racist.

The Saintsfan Cometh
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Face wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:

i married a tasmanian ....we moved back to the mainland..thank god.........later ....when filling out a census form, under the heading..."year of arrival in australia"...she put the year we moved ....true story......tasmanians are tasmanians first, second and third.....if you ran into one of the overseas and asked them where they were from they would answer tasmania........
WTF???

That's incredible.

No wonder the whole state feels as if it's a generation behind the rest of the country.......not that that's such a bad thing, gives the state a nice relaxed feel about it as a tourist!

SaintTom
Club Player

Political correctness gone too far. You have to look at the character and actions of a person before you can brand what they've said as racist. Same with Mal Brown, he lived with Aboriginals...surely if he was as racist as his comment made him out to be he wouldn't have such close associations with those he saw himself as better than?

I have a close friend who is Sri Lankan, and I make what would be deemed as 'racist' comments to him all the time in jest, as he does to me. We have a very close friendship and we both understand it is in jest. Again, I think the situation and the persons previous ACTIONS, as well as the tone, have to be looked at before we simply overreact to a particular comment. Making a racist comment in jest does not make you a racist, and those that think that it does need to actually sit back and think about each situation before they do what is seen as the 'politically correct' thing of condemning it.

Now, I await you to tear me to pieces. I aware that what I've just said isn't in vogue.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

If any Aboriginal out there took offence to Dipper's comments, then they are offensive.
Aboriginals generally consider the term 'abo' the most offensive term there it.

Why? Don't know. Don't care - they just do.

If a term offends someone - don't use it.

It's called common decency and respect.

If Dipper's comments make some other people feel offended on behalf of people they feel should be offended by them, then stiff shiit.

Offending someone is wrong. Disrespect is wrong.

However I think what piisses people off, is where people with no relevance feel obliged to be offended on someone else's behalf.
And I must say, that shiits me too.

People need to lighten up on this planet generally. But racial prejudice (which is what this is about - not just a silly throw away line by a dimwitted ex-VFL footballer) is not something to 'lighten up' on.

It's crippled humanity since day 1. We're smarter than that now.

We don't have to love each other - but we need to respect each other.

Having said all that, I still get uncomfortable with the term 'wog'. Even when used by Nick Giannopolous. It still doesn't sit well with me - and I'm not European.

Don't know why - it just does.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Disagree. Indigenous Australians all of 18 whinge, complain and carry on about the stolen generations.

It's almost taboo to criticise some for being an ineffectual menace on society.

Are the Jews still whinging and using the Holocaust as an excuse for a lack of success? No. 70+ years on and you would not (i.e read about a 20 year old Jew complaining about the Holocaust yet it would not be too difficult to find a 20 year old indigenous Australia who will happily whinge about the stolen generation).

Easy example. Easy comparison.

Indigenous Australians cannot be criticised in this nation because it is deemed racist.
My personal view is, you don't have to agree or like a person or race - but you should respect them.

Your comments to me, come across as disrespectful.

And just further to that, comparing the Jews to native Australians isn't logical.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Are you being serious Saintsfan or just trying to get a rise. Go and tell a joke about the holocaust in front of a Jew and wait for the reaction. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. If your entire family was taken away, split up and put in places where systematic abuse was endemic, then perhaps you'll be close to knowing the damage done to an entire race. Not just your family, but pretty much every link to your past taken away with no recourse or compensation. Moron.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Tonight I read comments from some people that required the IQ of a chimpanzee. Can we blame their parents or an antiquated education system for them, or are some just born stupid? I've seen plenty of white teens with kids who need a good wash too mate.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Abo is short for Aboriginal.

Aussie is short for Australian, should we be offened?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Abo is short for Aboriginal.

Aussie is short for Australian, should we be offened?
Are you serious. Has any white Australian expressed that they dont like the word Aussie. No we love that word. Has any aboriginal expressed they dont like the word abo. Yes so it is racist if said. We all know they dont like it so it is pretty clear what you do. Dont say it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game when Winmar went nuts against Footscray in frustration, I was nearly ready to throw punches at the amount of our fans around me that all of a sudden put his snap down to his race. Crazy black c%$# and similar. I have experienced a family member who you would not no unless pointed out where he was from experience racism. I also know a part aboriginal family that is very well off and good members of society. The fact that at a shopping centre you can identify a family on their race shows that they are judged by their colour. My kid goes to school with a white Aussie family that are completely disfunctional no one says bloody Aussies using excuses because they blend in. When you go for jobs or apply for rental properties or loans you don't mention your background because Aussies still look at Aboriginal Australians as second rate. The cracks are opening up here and the racists are popping their heads out. I also know alot of Jewish people and the one thing you would not do is make any kind of joke regarding the holocaust, it is still very raw and people in their 30s would still consider the loss of a generation of close family members really painful.