When Riewoldt comes back, do we ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:plugger? surely you would have an opinion on this.

sRs?
FF or CHF...both ahve to run a lot these days. The days of the stay at home FF are long gone. Besides Roo often drifts to FF anyway.

Therefore positionally I think it matters naught.

What I would do though is keep Roo's TOG on the low side initially, with lots of rotations.

Idea is to run him into touch and form.
Makes sense, but then again I'm no physio or medical expert of any kind (just a TV show doctor :D )

Could continually coming on and going off after short bursts in fact increase the risk of re-injury?

The experts would know the risks and the best way of managing it so I'm happy to leave it to them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dont change a thing. roo to normal role. all other players in usual positions. which means unfortunately stanley has to make way for the roo.

and i love stanley! trust me.

its just one of those things. no shame in stanely losing his spot to the best player in the comp. and thats what it takes to shift him.

once we start shuffling things around we lose our mojo and rhythm.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Do we?

I thought we didn't have a say.

I'm sure Ross will know what to do.

Another opportunity awaits!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Is there a spot for him in the starting 22?

ANNOYED YOU :D
:wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Do we?

I thought we didn't have a say.
we don't, but we can have an opinion.

Finna
Club Player

Re: When Riewoldt comes back, do we ...

bigcarl wrote:1) Throw him straight back into his usual role

or

2) Play him at ff for a period until he gains some match fitness and move Kosi out to chf?

On the one hand, his big tank is his best asset, which would favour option 1).

On the other hand, it is a serious injury he is returning from ... and him playing deep would give players the option of either spotting him up on the lead or going over his head for a goal.

Opinions?
I'd rotate him between FF, CHF and the interchange. With a view to getting more game time into him to have him playing his usual role by about round 20.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:dont change a thing. roo to normal role. all other players in usual positions. which means unfortunately stanley has to make way for the roo.

and i love stanley! trust me.

its just one of those things. no shame in stanely losing his spot to the best player in the comp. and thats what it takes to shift him.

once we start shuffling things around we lose our mojo and rhythm.
that's fine, assuming he can be the player he was immediately without a lot of match fitness.

i'm wondering that if he was to play deeper for a period whether it would encourage more midfield goals and whether that would be a good thing.

... would it lessen our tendency to rely on him kicking us a winning score or increase it?

also, how would kosi go further out from goals?

might he be able to float around a bit and get into the game a bit more ... or would he be a fish out of water as he has often appeared at full forward this year?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think that if we watch closely at how Kosi, Rhys, Benny & Gardi play/rotate over the next few rounds we might get an insight into Ross' intentions.

He might push Kosi a bit further up the ground to play what might loosely be described as a HFF, changing in the Ruck, with rotations between he and others through those positions, FF and the bench !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

When Roo comes back, Roo does what Roo does best and plays his normal role.

He's been running for a while now hasn't he? There is no chance they'd even consider bringing him back even a week too early, so when he comes back, he'll be good to go.

I just wish Rhys could kick a few of those set shots he's been getting to get his confidence up a bit, looks like a real confidence player, very raw, but as exciting as anyone in the side. I too, agree that he'll step aside when Roo comes back.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:When Roo comes back, Roo does what Roo does best and plays his normal role. He's been running for a while now hasn't he?
yes, but they will take match fitness into account.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Ick wrote:When Roo comes back, Roo does what Roo does best and plays his normal role. He's been running for a while now hasn't he?
realisticly how long would match fitness take for a professional like Roo ? one game two games ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Leo.J
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:I think we give him 60-70% gametime for the first fortnight,rotating between his usual role but more predominatly at FF. After that,it's business as usual
Agreed

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Run him on a wing Richo style - leave the Stanley in. Our forward structure is working without him.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
realisticly how long would match fitness take for a professional like Roo ? one game two games ??
Who can predict? Even champions can struggle with confidence a bit coming back from serious injury. They're human.

The idea of him playing deeper has its appeal anyway, i reckon.

Encourages others to go over his head for goal if they think he's double or triple teamed.

Also, Kosi might be more comfortable a bit further out from goal.

Then again, Roo's greatest asset is his huge tank ... so there's also a good argument for him resuming his usual role ASAP ... if he is match fit.

Or, if Stanley shows something he might keep his spot and Kosi goes second ruck. It will be fascinating to see how it all pans out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I think that if we watch closely at how Kosi, Rhys, Benny & Gardi play/rotate over the next few rounds we might get an insight into Ross' intentions.

He might push Kosi a bit further up the ground to play what might loosely be described as a HFF, changing in the Ruck, with rotations between he and others through those positions, FF and the bench !!
weve been playing the same way for 3 years?
except those first 3 weeks when roo was out and we tried sam up forward. and we played crap.
kosi wont be going anywhere. well play like we always play.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Eastern wrote:I think that if we watch closely at how Kosi, Rhys, Benny & Gardi play/rotate over the next few rounds we might get an insight into Ross' intentions.

except those first 3 weeks when roo was out and we tried sam up forward. and we played crap.
I dunno. A few goals and a stand out performance by Stanley on Friday would make it interesting. Kosi has a lot to offer around the ground as a second ruck.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I dunno. A few goals and a stand out performance by Stanley on Friday would make it interesting. Kosi has a lot to offer around the ground as a second ruck.
There is no way Stanley will stay forward ahead of Kosi. RL has been pretty clear that he will play 2 proper ruckmen so than means MG, Ben and King will be fighting for those spots. Stanley unless of course he kicked at least 4 goals this week will make way for Rooy in hopefully the Melbourne game. Stanley does look promising but that is all at this stage. he has allowed structure but to be totally honest hasnt done much at all. He has got bonus games this year and will be better for it next season when he will probably be our second ruckman and occasional forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Stanley unless of course he kicked at least 4 goals this week will make way for Rooy in hopefully the Melbourne game. Stanley does look promising but that is all at this stage. he has allowed structure but to be totally honest hasnt done much at all.
yes, i'd agree with that.

thanks heavens the club had the foresight not the pigeon-hole him purely as a ruckman and to try him in a key forward role. :wink:

we haven't lost since his inclusion. This might have saved our season, because things were looking pretty grim with us seemingly banking on kosi to kick us a winning score. The structure was shot to pieces.

Him playing chf has allowed us to keep BJ in the midfield. If he hadn't been brought in we would have had no other option but to play BJ as a key forward (where he has kicked goals on each occasion he has spent significant time there).

i'd love us to beat geelong on friday night without riewoldt. that would really set a pigeon among the cats.

And I agree, Stanley needs some goals to keep his spot when Rooey comes back.