Neutral games etiquette

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Neutral games etiquette

As the Saints aren't playing this weekend, my footy fix (of a sorts) will be attending the Carlton v Fremantle game.

My line of work has me taking a very passionate Carlton fan to the footy for the night.

Now, I hate Carlton, so I would find it very hard to cheer them on just to keep him happy. So, I'll be disengaged, neutral observer for the night.

Problem is, as a St kilda supporter I'll know that I'm far superior and above the ferals in the crowd...So, I feel I should declare this by wearing our colours to some degree.

I mean, not the full kit, but maybe my membership scarf, peak cap or something subtle like that....or would that be a bit 'wanky'?

Quite often, when at a Saints game, I see some people dressed in the full kit of a team that aren't participating and l think to myself 'You're at the wrong game mate, what are you doing?' -I don't want to look like that!

Oh, what to do??....

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Get a bigpond compliant phone and watch St Kilda highlights for the duration.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
shmic_s
Club Player

Something subtle.

I think a scaf, corporate polo or hat will do the trick.

Or dress up in a suit and wear a Saints tie and pretend to be a scout or something.
Either way, hold your head high when moving through the crowd of 'scum'. :wink:

(On a downside, they did beat us this year. Meaning you might cop some from the Carlton supporters.)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just enjoy watching a neutral game that won't involve fingernail biting, grey hairs, feeling sick in your stomach :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Wearing the clobber of a neutral team to a game is a bad look .

Go incognito, and wind your mate up all night... maybe by pointing out how blatantly the umpires are biased against them, and by offering a "baaaad luck!", when things go badly.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Scarf....Nothing more.

Then start to pay out on both competing teams.

Its good to have both groups of supporters off side.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Wear the scarf. Only time you don't wear it to a neutral game is when you are on the bottom of the ladder.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

As the Penguins say on Madagascar...... "Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave".

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
missgez
Club Player

I think it depends on the kind of person you may be and if you like adverse attention :D (I don't know you of course so not trying to be a smarty pants) personally I think I look silly in Saints gear at a neutral game.

In terms of what to do though it depends on who is playing.

Sometimes I really enjoy cheering on another team if their win will benefit St Kilda.

Or other times just sitting and watching both teams's supporters endure the agony and ecstacy that is AFL with a smirk. Best enjoyed if we've already banked the four points for the weekend :D

But being at the footy without the Saints is a strange feeling... like you've wandered into some kind of bizarro land!!

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

thanks for bringing this up TCD.. im to attend the Bomber/Hawks game tonight. Im going to wear my scarf and every 8-10 minutes engage in a large noisy yawn. That should get the message accross.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I do this all the time. I'm 17 and go most weeks to a neutral game with my mates.

Earlier this year, I wore my St Kilda scarf to Hawthorn V Essendon and was lucky enough to run in to Ross Lyon on ground level. He saw my scarft, and gave me a nod of approval.

I was also zoomed in on in the crowd on the big screen because of my scarf, so if you don't want to be on the big screen, maybe don't make it so obvious.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I do this all the time. I'm 17 and go most weeks to a neutral game with my mates.

Earlier this year, I wore my St Kilda scarf to Hawthorn V Essendon and was lucky enough to run in to Ross Lyon on ground level. He saw my scarft, and gave me a nod of approval.

I was also zoomed in on in the crowd on the big screen because of my scarf, so if you don't want to be on the big screen, maybe don't make it so obvious.
Must have been very pleasing for him to see you there.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I'm not a fan of mouthing of about my team, always comes back to bite you on the bum and you don't want to be responsible for any bad luck next week :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I think something subtle would be good. Just stick to one piece like a scarf.
Let the haters hate :)
I dont mind when I see someone come to a saints game wearing the colours of a team not playing that day. When its in the blood its in the blood.

Im going to a tigers v pies game (a football weekend with the girls and unfortunately I have a friend who supports the pies) later in the season and I am debating wearing a saints shirt I have, subtle but still shows where my heart lies

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
StSteven
Club Player

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better the umpiring is at neutral games!!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better the umpiring is at neutral games!!
Ye for some reason we get all the shocker calls :wink:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Go to a nuetral game every week on average....Never wear saints clothing except for my trackies occasionally.... only because i wear them EVERYWHERE....And when I wear them I attempt to cover the emblem on them.

I just have the mindset of..."Hey I dont give an f... who you barrack for so I dont know why you feel the need to parade it at another game." So I try not to contradict my own thinking.

What really pissed me off last year was the grand final and seeing people wearing oppositon scrafs....I felt like saying...u know how many supporters missed out....yet u feel the need to parade ur team which isnt playing instead of just going to the game quietly??? i looked at it as a real slap in the face.

But each to their own....Considering pulling on the entire saints kit at the collingwood sydney game in a few weeks with a bunch of other nuetral mates and one feral pie..... But it will be a one and only!

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Hmmmm...after considering all of your responses, I think I'll go with the scarf, but have it in my bag and wait and see where the mood takes me.

Observing the crowds reactions to dodgy umpiring decisions is always entertaining when your team isn't involved. I often think to myself 'Do I look that ridiculous when the Saints are playing?'

As for which team to side with?...It's gonna be tough but, I'll have to 'fake it' that I want Carlscum to win - to keep my client happy.

If only both teams could walk away WITHOUT the four points

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Batnoe
Club Player

I do it often at the Gabba

Used to barrack against the LIons, but am starting to like them more than some of the others - espeically around the same ladder position than us

I would go for whoever is further away on the ladder

Carn Saints
Finna
Club Player

I was visiting Melbourne last weekend and went to the North V Blues game with my 3 brothers who are all Blues supporters.

I went in Neutral colours - no need to stand out especially that they had beaten us a month prior.

I am not a big fan off showing off colours at a neutral game - agree with Spinner on this one.

I like to keep a low profile and quietly enjoy the match.

Jeez those Carlton supporters are feral! Some very simple dudes there. It was actually an education - I forgot people like that actually exist.

It didnt want to rub it in to my bro's but Jeez I enjoyed quietly watching the kangas tear them apart.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt wear any saints gear.

Paint ure face instead.

“Yeah….nah””
Maxstar22
Club Player

I always find it very weird going to a non Saints game. I never know how to act. Do I barrack? Do I sit quietly? Do I choose a team for the night?

It is true though, you do see the game (and umpiring) differently when your team isn't playing.

St Michele
Club Player

markp wrote:Wearing the clobber of a neutral team to a game is a bad look .

Go incognito, and wind your mate up all night... maybe by pointing out how blatantly the umpires are biased against them, and by offering a "baaaad luck!", when things go badly.
I have always thought this too but having been to a few ganes in Perth people turn up all the time in their teams colours even when they are not playing.

Wear what you feel confortable with. Mind you it is too late now you will be there :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
SinCitySaint
Club Player

When I lived in Sydney I used to often wear my Saints scarf to a Swans game and then spend a great deal of the time reading the newspaper.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh of course dont forget the new-fangled spaceage way to barrack at neutral games...

...loudly and proudly scream "KA-CHING" every time someone in your Supercoach/Dreamteam side gets a touch :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor