How effing proud should we be of this club and its coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

How effing proud should we be of this club and its coach?

Let's get some context here.

We win 20-2 for the year in 2009 and lose the Grand Final by a kick after being the better side on the day.
Go out over summer to address our perceived weakness and give away #1 pick for Andrew Lovett.

He gets drunk and then gets accused of rape, and he's cut before we even play a game. Massive scandal around the Saints, and multiple legal cases developed around this issue.

We then start the footy year, and in Round 3 our captain, the AFL's best player and our leading goalkicker snaps his hamstring. Huge story, the one bloke who most people believe is THE reason the Saints were so successful in 2009.

Gone. For at least 4 months. Saints are gone. No chance without Riewoldt.

We start to look scratchy, Gram goes down, we can't kick goals, players are thrown forward to try and kick goals.

A scandal erupts with two St Kilda players implicated in a teenage pregnancy, which is all over the front of the newspapers for a week.

Things go from bad to worse.

Our coach has none of this. He knows we've had a shorter pre-season, trained harder in Feb and March than we did last year, and got more blokes coming off compromised preparation. He knows that we were always going to start slowly.

Ross the Boss knows you don't win a flag in May or June.

He knows he's got the most hungry, desperate and committed group of blokes in the competition.

He keeps them together, he keeps them believing in the plan. Together, they work on saints footy.

Things improve. The plan works. The backline is settled. Blokes get fitter. Some easier games, a few better victories. We score some goals.

Go over to the West and take on the #2 side and a genuine premiership contender.

Smash them. Make no mistake, we obliterated Fremantle.

We now sit 9-3 at the halfway mark, with Riewoldt back in 3 weeks, Gram in 2 weeks and 1 game clear of 3rd.

Building towards some great footy, getting fitter, getting our players back before the finals, showing in the last quarter against Fremantle HOW GOOD we are under pressure.

The sort of pressure than you need to thrive under to win big finals.

Make no mistake, this is a genuinely good football side and a genuinely strong club you are watching at the moment.

Huge challenges so far in 2010, and we've met EVERY one of them.

And Ross the Boss is sitting there with a smile on his face.

After all, if your side can go 9-3 having played 6 of the other 7 top 8 sides, and missing your BOG from the Grand Final, and your best player and captain ....

Why wouldn't you be smiling?

Get behind the Saints this year. We haven't even warmed up.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: How effing proud should we be of this club and its coach

what he said

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post, although you have missed:

(1) NRL salary cap scandal and implication that Waldron at the Saints may have cooked the books

(2) Geelong are so far ahead of us that even with Roo and Gram's return we'd still need to improve about 30% to 40% of where we are now to win the flag (based on current form).......possible but unlikely.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Legendary"]Let's get some context here.

Make no mistake, this is a genuinely good football side and a genuinely strong club you are watching at the moment.

Great post, and we are now a strong club on and off the field, never would have thought that possible in the dark days

I love this club
Legendary
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
(2) Geelong are so far ahead of us that even with Roo and Gram's return we'd still need to improve about 30% to 40% of where we are now to win the flag (based on current form).......possible but unlikely.
4 of Geelong's last 5 wins have been against bottom 8 sides.

This time last year St Kilda was 30% better than the rest of the competition.

You don't win premierships in June.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:(2) Geelong are so far ahead of us that even with Roo and Gram's return we'd still need to improve about 30% to 40% of where we are now to win the flag (based on current form) ... possible but unlikely.
disagree. we were the better team for most of last season and would have won the grand final but for poor kicking at goal.

at full strength we are very evenly matched.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
4 of Geelong's last 5 wins have been against bottom 8 sides.

This time last year St Kilda was 30% better than the rest of the competition.

You don't win premierships in June.
that is why I said "based on current form".

How the fork do I know what they (or us!) will be like in September???

saintharvs
Club Player

Great post. I totally agree with what you have said. I am very proud of the club and what they have been able to accomlish so far this year with all that they have had to face . Fingers crossed there are still bigger and better things to come this year.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Great post.

Don't forget the loss of Zac Dawson as well.

No matter what people say, he was part of the most frugal defence in 2009 and is part of the most frugal defence in 2010.

saintnick12
Club Player

Legendary wrote:

After all, if your side can go 9-3 having played 6 of the other 7 top 8 sides, and missing your BOG from the Grand Final, and your best player and captain ....

Great post. I've very proud of my Saints. Was wearing a saints pullover at the shops on Saturday and had 5 people comment positively about the saints while I was doing my shopping :wink: We are building and getting that "buzz" back. The players and coaches seem to be all committed to the cause and didn't panic when things were not going so well a few weeks ago. All the footy shows are saying we are clearly second best team at the moment (not that that means anything). Punters have backed us back in to second favourite.
As I've said before, I really think this year will be one for the "true believers" The "journey" will make the win all the more satisfying. I might be dreaming thats my thoughts and I'm sticking to it.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What's with all this coach worship?

First and foremost, I'm proud of the team. I'm impressed that the coach is doing his job pretty well in a difficult season.

I like to watch players playing football, not coaches and gameplans. The TV stations' obsession with cutting endlessly to the coach and his reactions give me the s***s.

Enough with the coaches already!!

I fear I am in a minority.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Yes, I am happy with where we are at and think we have handled adversity very well. You forgot to mention midfield coach resigning on the ever of interstate game.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saintsfan
Club Player

We have not won anything so I not proud. We have a good chance but until we actually win anything.

Pride is not created through half a season without the messiah and the messiah coach.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Now Saintsfan, I know how old you are, so you have not really been through the tough times with St Kilda, lucky you!!!!!!!!

But let me assure you, the way we have handled recent issues in the past would have seen us drop our bundle. So you have to take your hat off to them. Yes, of course we want the big one, but grand finals don't come easy and I for one will enjoy the journey and be proud of how we go about it.

lendog heaven
Club Player

and we lost an assistant coach (Elshaugh) last week

Tramps like us.............
Saintsfan
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Now Saintsfan, I know how old you are, so you have not really been through the tough times with St Kilda, lucky you!!!!!!!!

But let me assure you, the way we have handled recent issues in the past would have seen us drop our bundle. So you have to take your hat off to them. Yes, of course we want the big one, but grand finals don't come easy and I for one will enjoy the journey and be proud of how we go about it.
I know and appreciate the history et al. I didnt think the middle 90's were too enjoyable, neither 99-2003, 2007 was fairly average.

The history of the club does not bother me. Alright we have a pretty pathetic history however I do not expect history to repeat itself. Why should it? If the powers of the football club are worth their salt they should have chosen (and have done) the right people that should put us in a place to do well.

There is no reason why the club should have imploded due to an alleged rapist entering the football club for 2 months. It should not affect any of the players and I would be dissapointed if it were to considering the scrutiny that naturally comes with playing football.

Again with Roo's injury. Why should we drop our bundle? We haven't and I haven't expected us too. Simply put there is too much quality out of the park for us to have gone to poop without Riewoldt around.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with OP. Even Rodger Fox may have to dip his hat.
Say what u like about some of our recruiting which hasnt been flash. But sheesh our character,guts,effort and team bond is second to none and for 99% of us thats all we ever ask for.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Saintsfan wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Now Saintsfan, I know how old you are, so you have not really been through the tough times with St Kilda, lucky you!!!!!!!!

I know and appreciate the history et al. I didnt think the middle 90's were too enjoyable, neither 99-2003, 2007 was fairly average.

The history of the club does not bother me. Alright we have a pretty pathetic history however I do not expect history to repeat itself. Why should it? If the powers of the football club are worth their salt they should have chosen (and have done) the right people that should put us in a place to do well.

There is no reason why the club should have imploded due to an alleged rapist entering the football club for 2 months. It should not affect any of the players and I would be dissapointed if it were to considering the scrutiny that naturally comes with playing football.

Again with Roo's injury. Why should we drop our bundle? We haven't and I haven't expected us too. Simply put there is too much quality out of the park for us to have gone to poop without Riewoldt around.
Agree that the past is in the past where it belongs. But the fact is, off field trouble often affect on field performances in any club. I am proud of the way we have handled things with minimal fuss and the fact it hasn't hampered our on field performances.

You also said you are not proud. Have we don't nothing you are proud of?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon Geelong might just be a bit ahead of THEMSELVES - their own arrogance and over-confidence is probably their greatest weakness and when they get exposed like we did to them in both games last year - they start to panic and throw the dice.
It would not surprise if it happened to them again when we put on the choker hold. Even without Roo we should believe!!!
Go Saints!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Saintsfan
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:

Agree that the past is in the past where it belongs. But the fact is, off field trouble often affect on field performances in any club. I am proud of the way we have handled things with minimal fuss and the fact it hasn't hampered our on field performances.

You also said you are not proud. Have we don't nothing you are proud of?
I will be proud if the desired result is a premiership. Otherwise it has all gone to waste.

We have handled multiple situations as they should be handled. Pride (in my opinion) has nothing to do with this.

They are not children that can't run a business. The representatives of the club are and should be rational, mature human beings whereby fixing issues such as the previous are part of the position. It is expected, hence why I do not feel any pride towards the way the club has dealt with Andrew Lovett or Roo's injury.

They are all paid to do a job and they are doing it thus far.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nobody was ever going to burst my bubble 8-)

Buckets
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Let's get some context here.

We win 20-2 for the year in 2009 and lose the Grand Final by a kick after being the better side on the day.
Go out over summer to address our perceived weakness and give away #1 pick for Andrew Lovett.

He gets drunk and then gets accused of rape, and he's cut before we even play a game. Massive scandal around the Saints, and multiple legal cases developed around this issue.

We then start the footy year, and in Round 3 our captain, the AFL's best player and our leading goalkicker snaps his hamstring. Huge story, the one bloke who most people believe is THE reason the Saints were so successful in 2009.

Gone. For at least 4 months. Saints are gone. No chance without Riewoldt.

We start to look scratchy, Gram goes down, we can't kick goals, players are thrown forward to try and kick goals.

A scandal erupts with two St Kilda players implicated in a teenage pregnancy, which is all over the front of the newspapers for a week.

Things go from bad to worse.

Our coach has none of this. He knows we've had a shorter pre-season, trained harder in Feb and March than we did last year, and got more blokes coming off compromised preparation. He knows that we were always going to start slowly.

Ross the Boss knows you don't win a flag in May or June.

He knows he's got the most hungry, desperate and committed group of blokes in the competition.

He keeps them together, he keeps them believing in the plan. Together, they work on saints footy.

Things improve. The plan works. The backline is settled. Blokes get fitter. Some easier games, a few better victories. We score some goals.

Go over to the West and take on the #2 side and a genuine premiership contender.

Smash them. Make no mistake, we obliterated Fremantle.

We now sit 9-3 at the halfway mark, with Riewoldt back in 3 weeks, Gram in 2 weeks and 1 game clear of 3rd.

Building towards some great footy, getting fitter, getting our players back before the finals, showing in the last quarter against Fremantle HOW GOOD we are under pressure.

The sort of pressure than you need to thrive under to win big finals.

Huge challenges so far in 2010, and we've met EVERY one of them.

And Ross the Boss is sitting there with a smile on his face.

I have goosebumps!

Fantastic post!

CARN THE MIGHTY SAINTS!!!!!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MB....it is not coach worship. It is just recognition that we have a bloody good coach now.

Get any neutral to compare the Cat's 22 vs the Saints and they will rate them above the Saints.

Yet we are a chance to beat them. Why? Well IMO it is clear...it is the coaching. Lyon is our edge.

IMO Lyon knows the Cats are the team to beat and he has structured up the Saints player-wise and gameplan-wise to give us the best chance to beat them.

Cats are vunerable to pressure...but most teams cannot exert enough pressure for long enough. Lyon has built a team that can apply that pressure...and part of that is players with tough mature bodies.

This is what will give us a chance at a flag. The Cat's area truly awesome team...and Lyon through truly awesome team-play and discipline is giving us a chance to roll them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

a big old +1 for the OP

I think we have a right to be proud of the players and coach. Can only hope we go from strength to strength.

GO SAINTERS

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
ThePunter
Club Player

If Freo miss the finals, make no mistake, it was Sunday when the seeds of timidity were sown.

I was over there for the game, and for most of the first 2 1/2 quarters of the game, it was the fluffy Dockers.

St Kilda simply demonstrated to Freo how hard you need to work to be a premiership contender.

St Kilda hardly had a passenger, with only one or two beaten on the day.

Of the four wins on the trot, Sunday's was the best.

Nothing to lose against the Cats.