GT again....this time on Milney...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lets deal with the facts.

1. Grant wanted to trade Milne = Mistake. Cats wouldve probably picked him up to sit under Mooney and co and hed be a Premiership player.......er...fail Grant (not to mention that right NOW hes our only go-to fwd......)

2. Grant admits Milnes improved in the last 4yrs = correct Grant and why does that coincide with you no longer being coach?....think about that....

3. Milne has yet to deliver in a finals campaign = well known fact.

4. Milne has copped enormous shyte this year (no doubt his family has heard/witnessed more)......yet still managed to deliver in the absence of Riewoldt and reach a great milestone of 200 games...so what does our "guru ex-saints man" do? -dump a bucket of shyte on him as he tries to celebrate that milestone, feigns admiration for the guy and manages to make the back page of the populist tabloid once again all about him. Its really always about Grant as Mark P rightly states.

Thank frk for Ross Lyon.

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintbrat wrote:just to break up your debate guys
new information
TJch9 grant thomas tells sport927 that he was miscquoted by sam edmund in the heraldsun this morning. NOT HAPPY!
I beleive they would have gone to him
But interesting to see if the herald Sun change their story tomorrow?

given their recent history on all thing s saintly
I knew it, the story HS is making a concious choice lately to misrepresent things and show things in the most negative light possible.

Similar when Cousins was OTC and spoke about so many different things, and they decided to run with a headline of "I thought the AFL was out to get me" which was such a selective quote and totally misrepresented what was a good interview.

GT made sure he clarified on both FC and in the Age a couple of days a go, that he concedes the growth in Milne as a footballer since his tenure.

Herald Sun is turning mega trashy mag lately. :?
Did you listen to the audio?

He couldn't really seem to decide whether he'd been misquoted or not (said he was up the country and not really aware of the article :?), but somehow knew that everything he said wasn't written....

An odd interview, during which he gave a good impression of a BS artist in full flight.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT again....this time on Milney...

bigred wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/steph ... 5878165783

Is it just me, or is this guy just dial a quote now or what...

Could have just said something like...."Grats on the 200 Milney. If I had my way you never would have made it".

But no....just a coupla cheap shots before his milestone...

Classy.
gotta agree ...pissed off with thomas this time...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:I still think GT cost us earlier premierships. The guy had no tactics. All he said to the guys was bomb it long to Roo and the G-Train.
Yes, well we've moved on from that tactic, haven't we? Now we just rely upon Riewoldt.........
Gee we must be going really crap then as Roo is not playing...

What are we 8 losses... 3 wins...???? :idea:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Seems it's not only GT who lacks class.... :roll:

The only decent thing to do would be to acknowledge you misquoted someone (though how the F*** you do it 'accidentally' like that is beyond me), apologise, and get on with it.
Trolling is not accidental...

...and RF got the "result" he wanted = successful troll.

Unfortunately for everyone else, successful troll = unsuccessful forum.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Image

Happy Days
That's Fat Bastard

Another opportunity awaits!
Face
Club Player

Compared to the most recent trade period, trading Milne would have hardly been seen as a c**k-up. Well that is if it were a trade.

Chirst, could you imagine the spam on this board if GT had traded for Lovett and let Ball walk for nix? :shock:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Face wrote:Compared to the most recent trade period, trading Milne would have hardly been seen as a c**k-up. Well that is if it were a trade.

Chirst, could you imagine the spam on this board if GT had traded for Lovett and let Ball walk for nix? :shock:
The fact that we traded for Lovett did not make it a bad trade at the time. What he did once at the club is a seperate issue.

I love this club
Face
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:The fact that we traded for Lovett did not make it a bad trade at the time. What he did once at the club is a seperate issue.
We gave up a first round pick, paid him he stack of cash, will never play a reserve grade game let alone a senior game.....

It's revisionist claptrap to suggest it was ever anything but a bad trade.

Spirit of Nikopol
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Image

Happy Days
That's Fat Bastard
Couldn't you find a pic from when he went on the juice diet...and nail bed guru phase?

:lol:

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Schillaci
Club Player

GT can say what he likes.
Fact is Milney has been a great and loyal servant of our club and I for one am glad he stayed and Ross is our coach...rather than the other way around.
Well done Tiprat on a great career.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Face wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:The fact that we traded for Lovett did not make it a bad trade at the time. What he did once at the club is a seperate issue.
We gave up a first round pick, paid him he stack of cash, will never play a reserve grade game let alone a senior game.....

'
I am referring to the trade itself, 16 for Lovett was a good FOOTBALL trade at the time, what went wrong happened after he got to the club and was a none football issue, nothing to do with the trade itself

Yes it did not work out well in the end but it is wrong to suggest that RL got it wrong on the day.

I love this club
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:GT can say what he likes.
Fact is Milney has been a great and loyal servant of our club and I for one am glad he stayed and Ross is our coach...rather than the other way around.
Well done Tiprat on a great career.
100% agree

I love this club
fingers
Saintsational Legend

It's not so much what he says but the way he says it. And the timing of this was shyte.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:It's not so much what he says but the way he says it. And the timing of this was shyte.
You have to think he has a list of these type of quotes and waits till the worst moment to put them out in public

I love this club
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Face wrote:

'
I am referring to the trade itself, 16 for Lovett was a good FOOTBALL trade at the time, what went wrong happened after he got to the club and was a none football issue, nothing to do with the trade itself

Yes it did not work out well in the end but it is wrong to suggest that RL got it wrong on the day.
I disagree.

You look at 'trades for older players' and it very rarely goes well.

Look at this year's crop:

1. Brisbane - Maguire (injured), Clarke (gameless), Staker (out), Buchanan (in and out), Raines (in and out)

2. Collingwood - Jolley (struggled for form), Ball (injured)

3. St Kilda - Peake (in and out), Lovett (enough said)

4. Essendon - Williams (reserves, disinterested)

5. Fremantle - McPhee (dud)

6. Bulldogs - Hall (only success story this season, in my opinion)

7. Carlton - McLean (in and out, struggling with injury)

Carlton could've had Jordan Gysberts. Surely the fact that the game is getting faster, the players are getting younger, then to trade first round draft picks on speculative mature age players is fraught with danger.

saintnick12
Club Player

I said in an earlier post that I hoped Caro, Lyon and Hutchy took Grant to task over this on Footy Classifieds on Monday night.
Well, an update on this
I was listening to Hutchy on "Off the Bench" this morning on my way to my son's sport. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the whole thing as we arrived at our destination and were running late. However, what I did hear Hutchy say was that he thought Grant's comments were "Ill timed", and that he was very disappointed that Grant had chosen to do that on the eve of someones Milestone game, and that he intended to confront him about it on Footy Classified on Monday night (and a quip that expected it to be fiery). I look forward to that. Lets hope Milney has a great game and more importantly, that the Saints win.
As most have stated, I don't begruge Grant his right to make his opinion known, I just thought he would have had more class than to bag someone on the eve of their 200th game, especially someone he professes to " still love the guy". Whatever your opinion of Milne, surely he has the right to enjoy his 200th, rather than have it highjacked by his dial-a-quote excoach he wants to make it all about him instead.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Nicky Winmore

Right up I have to declare I was a big fan of GT. Mainly for his honesty & his genuine love of st Kilda rather than coaching abilty, which was only average.

Having said that it was very disappointing to hear how he viewed Milney as a player & a person. Anyone can see that as a Player he is a star. This was even obvious back when he was playing for Essendon as a rookie. He does things on the park that no other player in the AFL can replicate. And he loves St Kilda to boot. The club song after a win would not be the same without his unbridled joyous tip rat scream. Yes, he has deficiencies & these are being addressed under Ross.

If GT felt that way about Milney he should have done something about it and supported & coached him to become the more complete player he is becoming today under Ross. Not cast him out or traded him.

Considering its was Milney's 200th game this weekend, GT should have passed on restating his negative views on Milney. Its not nice to rain on someone''s parade. especially a legend of Stkilda deserving of huge accolades on the eve of this great achievement.

I still get angry when GT is criticised for having an honest opinion. There is so much spin & fence sitting, in the media these days it is pathetic. GT is a refreshing change. You may not agree with what he says, (I usually do) but he says it straight.

Just listen to the radio any day you will hear the following. terms countless times.

1. "Maybe"
FFS have an opinion don't fence sit.
2. "It wasn't great"
I dont want to know what it wasn't tell me what it was. FFS just say it
was bad, poor or SH etc.
3. "Time will tell".
"Duh!" Yes time always tell but put your balls on the line and have an
opinion or just say i have NFI.

"Yee Ha" and have a great 200th Milney

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Nicky Winmore wrote:

I still get angry when GT is criticised for having an honest opinion. There is so much spin & fence sitting, in the media these days it is pathetic. GT is a refreshing change. You may not agree with what he says, (I usually do) but he says it straight.

Just listen to the radio any day you will hear the following. terms countless times.

1. "Maybe"
2. "It wasn't great"
was bad, poor or SH etc.
3. "Time will tell".

Ha ha I think you just summed up Garry Lyons 3 favourite phrases.

I agree with your post. I'm normally interested in what GT has to say and often enjoy his forthrightness. On this occasion I reckon he lacked class though. You need to pick your mark and occasion. Not every comment has to hard hitting.

Jesus - why couldn't he have said, 'My views on Milney are well known, and I've commented many times on the deficiencies in his game. This week though He needs to be recognised for what he's done well, and that is play 200 games in a difficult position. ANYONE who plays 200 AFL games deserves to be recognised in a positive light. Well done Steve.'

saintnick12
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Nicky Winmore wrote:

1. "Maybe"
2. "It wasn't great"
was bad, poor or SH etc.
3. "Time will tell".

Ha ha I think you just summed up Garry Lyons 3 favourite phrases.

I agree with your post. I'm normally interested in what GT has to say and often enjoy his forthrightness. On this occasion I reckon he lacked class though. You need to pick your mark and occasion. Not every comment has to hard hitting.

Jesus - why couldn't he have said, 'My views on Milney are well known, and I've commented many times on the deficiencies in his game. This week though He needs to be recognised for what he's done well, and that is play 200 games in a difficult position. ANYONE who plays 200 AFL games deserves to be recognised in a positive light. Well done Steve.'
+1. :)

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Schillaci
Club Player

Danny Frawley just teed off against GT in defence of Milney on MMM...along the lines of 200 games, 5th highest goakicker in club's history at average of around 2 a game...time to celebrate his successes...ill timed comments best saved for before the finals...

Exactly right.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i was one of the few remaining supporters of GT in his dying days as coach of st kilda. i was also dirty when we sacked him.
bring on ross the boss and now i know why i was wrong.
Ross has more coaching talent and ability than GT in his little finger nail.

GT CAN GO AND GET f***ed HE HAS LOST ALL CREDIBILITY IN MY BOOK.

MILNEY KICK A BAG AGAINST FREO MATE - YOU BLEED FOR ST KILDA AND WE LOVE YOU BUDDY!! YOU ARE A BLOODY LEGEND WHO IS TWICE THE PLAYER UNDER ROSS

#1 Ryder fan
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Face wrote:

'

I disagree.

You look at 'trades for older players' and it very rarely goes well.

Look at this year's crop:

1. Brisbane - Maguire (injured), Clarke (gameless), Staker (out), Buchanan (in and out), Raines (in and out)

2. Collingwood - Jolley (struggled for form), Ball (injured)

3. St Kilda - Peake (in and out), Lovett (enough said)

4. Essendon - Williams (reserves, disinterested)

5. Fremantle - McPhee (dud)

6. Bulldogs - Hall (only success story this season, in my opinion)

7. Carlton - McLean (in and out, struggling with injury)

Carlton could've had Jordan Gysberts. Surely the fact that the game is getting faster, the players are getting younger, then to trade first round draft picks on speculative mature age players is fraught with danger.
SEN

I basically agree with what you say. My point in regards to drafting Lovett was at the time he was 27 and he could have made a huge difference to us. To that point RL did nothing wrong at that time. What went wrong had nothing to do with his footy abiliity. It was a similar gamble to taking Gardi, both players were what we need at the time, just that one of them decided to commit a horrible crime. The end result was poor but the purly footy decision at the time was a good

Anyway thats my nuff nuff opinion :)

I love this club
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT again....this time on Milney...

bigred wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/steph ... 5878165783

Is it just me, or is this guy just dial a quote now or what...

Could have just said something like...."Grats on the 200 Milney. If I had my way you never would have made it".

But no....just a coupla cheap shots before his milestone...

Classy.
Grant Thomas has had/expressed this opinion on Milney for for a long time. He expressed it again on Footy Clasified on Monday night which must have prompted the grub from the Herald-Sun to ring him up knowing that he was going to get a headline out of it.

So, IMHO Thomas has an opinion (and an ego) that he has been consistent with all along. Remember, opinions are like arzeholes, everyone has one.

Then we have the grub from the Herald-Sun and his grubby sub-editor who showed no respect for a guy who is reaching/has reached a double of milestones very few have reached, 200 games & 400 goals

GO MILNEY

Up yours, Herald-Sun !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!