How is raph going?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

How is raph going?

Ok I have two reasons for asking

first is I want to get him into my dreamteam on the bench as I think he is getting into some great form. Also I blieve his form on open grounds is awesome.... so anyone know is raph's hammy has come up?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Not bad

Another opportunity awaits!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

good to see him in the side, hopeflly he stars :) go raph!

FQF
In richo I trust

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was listening to SEN after the Richmond game and some turd rang in bagging him saying that he was Lyons love child and wouldn't get a game anywhere else. Mark Fine gave him a bit of a spray and said that he felt that Raph was there because he runs and carries and that the mistakes where there because he took the game on. I can't believe people expect players to never make mistakes. Geelong players make mistakes and don't cop the criticism guys like Raph and Gram do.

The guy has been in really solid form in the last few weeks and I would back him in for the rest of the year.

I can't help but think if he wasn't Aboriginal he would not be attacked so much. We all pretend the AFL is full of open minded supporters but I remember our fans out at Moorabbin and Waverly bagging Winmar if he did something wrong using language that would get you arrested now. I think some of those people don't get to express their racism openly and go after indiginous players in more subtle ways now.

My cousin is part aboriginal so I am more aware of it's effect on people and may be overly sensitive but I can't see why after the way he is playing people cant let go of bagging him.

roxanne
Club Player

I think you're on to something.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

roxanne wrote:I think you're on to something.
No he f****** isnt, thats total bulls***! Jesus H....what is with pulling the race card because someone is upset with Raphs performance? Its total garbage., and happens far too often.

AND...

Who the hell would bag WInmar? World has gone to hell in a hand basket.
Last edited by iwantmeseats on Fri 11 Jun 2010 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I know he's on to something.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:I was listening to SEN after the Richmond game and some turd rang in bagging him saying that he was Lyons love child and wouldn't get a game anywhere else. Mark Fine gave him a bit of a spray and said that he felt that Raph was there because he runs and carries and that the mistakes where there because he took the game on. I can't believe people expect players to never make mistakes. Geelong players make mistakes and don't cop the criticism guys like Raph and Gram do.

The guy has been in really solid form in the last few weeks and I would back him in for the rest of the year.

I can't help but think if he wasn't Aboriginal he would not be attacked so much. We all pretend the AFL is full of open minded supporters but I remember our fans out at Moorabbin and Waverly bagging Winmar if he did something wrong using language that would get you arrested now. I think some of those people don't get to express their racism openly and go after indiginous players in more subtle ways now.

My cousin is part aboriginal so I am more aware of it's effect on people and may be overly sensitive but I can't see why after the way he is playing people cant let go of bagging him.
People bag him ,baecause he does one good thing, one bad thing, one good thing, one bad thing...

And his turnovers often result in goals . Additionally, he probably suffers from being aboriginal ONLY in so far as he natuarally is held to the standard these guys set which is often very high. Indiginous players are as a general rule freakishnly talented and exceptionally footballers.

To just call the race card would be funny if it wasnt so wrong.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

was only wondering how his injury concern was going :roll:

FQF
In richo I trust

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:was only wondering how his injury concern was going :roll:
Id like to know as well. :D

saint tezza
Club Player

What a load of rubbish .....the race card.

Fact is people bag Raph because his turnovers invariably result in goals to the opposition because they more often than not happen in defence .

When he turns over the ball in defence often other defenders have zoned off to give him someone to kick to and when the turnover happens there are free opposition forwards.

This has nothing to do with his color , race , religion or any other meaningless statistic . It has all to do with finding another player wearing a stkilda jumper with the ball.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint tezza wrote:What a load of rubbish .....the race card.

Fact is people bag Raph because his turnovers invariably result in goals to the opposition because they more often than not happen in defence .

When he turns over the ball in defence often other defenders have zoned off to give him someone to kick to and when the turnover happens there are free opposition forwards.

This has nothing to do with his color , race , religion or any other meaningless statistic . It has all to do with finding another player wearing a stkilda jumper with the ball.
only problem with that theory is that the likes of gilbert turn it over if not just as much but sometimes more..... yet escapes the abuse raph gets.

People like having someone to abuse and hang it on. Scapegoating is easier then thinking about whats going on.

FQF
In richo I trust

saint tezza
Club Player

well yes gilbert does turn over the ball ....
more than raph? that is highly questionable

with the same ramifications as raph i.e goals to the opposition .

again highly questionable.

its the quality of raphs turnovers that burn into the viewers consciousness...

some of them are so basic sometimes.....

dont get me wrong i think raph has some great qualities.....

can never be accused of not going in and putting the body on the line....

but certainly his decision making skills leave a lot to be desired sometimes....

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saint tezza wrote:well yes gilbert does turn over the ball ....
more than raph? that is highly questionable

with the same ramifications as raph i.e goals to the opposition .

again highly questionable.

its the quality of raphs turnovers that burn into the viewers consciousness...

some of them are so basic sometimes.....

dont get me wrong i think raph has some great qualities.....

can never be accused of not going in and putting the body on the line....

but certainly his decision making skills leave a lot to be desired sometimes....
you can't be serious, gilberts kicking during the year has been terrible at times. Of course raphs decision making is a work in process (and yes he might never make it), which is why he is on the bodrline still in the 22 but the one eyed view people have regarding this guy is beyond belief. I have seen alot of people start abusing him before the game has started, almost willing him to fail. Closest I have seen to this is peoples abuse of zacbut at least this only happens after a mistake.

FQF
In richo I trust

gringo
Saintsational Legend

You obviously didn't want to remember the bad old days when indigenous players were called black c&*%s by our own fans every time they stuffed a kick or lost their temper. It was very common to have people swearing and pointing out the colour of the skin instead of their name. I was there to see all the racism first hand, most of us want to forget it was only 15 years ago that it was the norm. Can't help but sense it toward Raph. If a player is gifted they are treated as freakish not hard working as Goodes said. But if they struggle they are a liability.

saint tezza
Club Player

well im not an abuser of stkilda players.....but i do have my heart in my mouth whenever raph has the ball in heavy traffic .

Sometimes Gilbert too especially if he is coralled on his right side....

But I think Gilberts strengths far outweigh the negatives so people tend to accept that he will butcher the ball sometimes....

But he is just as likely to pull down half a dozen contested marks or springboard half a dozen genuine scoring opportunities.

Anyone can turn over the ball with an errant kick

Actually lenny does it regularly but the strengths far outweigh the turnovers.

Im not so sure with Raph....I hope to be proven wrong but am still worried that his decision making is not taking the leaps that we hoped.

AlpineStars
Club Player

I took Raph in the Pro Dreamteam draft and my mate txt me "waste of a pick" when Raph got 107 points last week and I was playing my mate do you reckon he copped a few texts.

Wake me up when September ends.