Best 22, if everyones up and about come final's time!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:The topic says if everyone is up and about, if Jesse Smith is up and about he's not only in our best 22, he's in our best 10.
Not saying you're wrong but that's one very big call!

I assume you're basing your comment on the 2007 North Melbourne model Jesse Smith.

If you are in fact basing it on the 2010 St Kilda model Jesse Smith, then that is an enormous call.

Injury and fitness concerns aside, the bloke's played some minutes in 4 Sandy games and is yet to really stamp himself on the game.

I hope he's everything we dream he will be but the jury is well and truly still out at the moment.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
#1GILL wrote:The topic says if everyone is up and about, if Jesse Smith is up and about he's not only in our best 22, he's in our best 10.

I assume you're basing your comment on the 2007 North Melbourne model Jesse Smith.

If you are in fact basing it on the 2010 St Kilda model Jesse Smith, then that is an enormous call.

Injury and fitness concerns aside, the bloke's played some minutes in 4 Sandy games and is yet to really stamp himself on the game.

I hope he's everything we dream he will be but the jury is well and truly still out at the moment.
I am basing it party on his 2007 season, but mostly on one game in particular. The 2007 semi V Hawthorn. He was amazing.
Anyone who would like more of an idea of how Jesse goes about his business should watch this game.

It is available on the AFL website:
http://www.afl.com.au/full%20match%20re ... fault.aspx

Just go to season 2007, then semi finals.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I am basing it party on his 2007 season, but mostly on one game in particular. The 2007 semi V Hawthorn. He was amazing.
Anyone who would like more of an idea of how Jesse goes about his business should watch this game.

It is available on the AFL website:
http://www.afl.com.au/full%20match%20re ... fault.aspx

Just go to season 2007, then semi finals.
Fair enough.

But he's got/had a very bad injury, the game has changed a lot and he's played very little football in the last 2 years.

Unfortunately there's no guarantee he can get back to that 2007 level, or if he can, that he can maintain it over a period of time.

Like you, I hope he can. I really, really do.

But until he does it's hard to pencil him in to our best side with any certainty.

groupie1
Club Player

saintbob wrote:
The Sainter wrote:Looks fairly good to me, my worry is Gwilt strong enough in contested situations plus would prefer Blake on the half back flank because the odd free kicks he gives away by holding on in marking duels could be more costly close to goals. I still believe Kosi should be given a run on the back line when Roo comes back as Kosi is such a strong body in marking contests.
I remember Gwilt playing on Jonathon Brown one time and holding his own so I'd say that he would be strong enough.
Agreed. To say Gwilt is not 22 material, you're kidding me! On this year's form, he's in our top 10. Far better footballer than Zac. He can kick it, he can compete one on one, in great physical shape. I've argued for a Zac or Blake-less backline this year with the emergence of Gwiltonomics. He is easily now our second best one-on-one contester behind the Fish.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Re: Best 22, if everyones up and about come final's time!!

saintbob wrote:FB: Bakes Gwilt Blake

HB: Gilbert Fish Raph

C: Monty Lenny Gram

HF: Ray Roo Schneider

FF: Milne Kosi Stanley

R: Gardi, BJ, Dal

Int: CJ, Geary, Mac, Jessy

Emerg: Steven, King, Dempster, Mini
Like it, would change one thing:

B: Bakes Gwilt Blake

HF: Ray Roo Walsh

Int: CJ, Mini, Mac, Jessy

Emerg: Steven, King, A Smith, Geary

Schneider doesn't do enough. Lacks a bit too much basic class. Put Mini so we can mix up Kozi in the ruck, and another runner, gives more flex forward (wanna go short we use Ray and Mini, taking Walsh off for spells)

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Best 22, if everyones up and about come final's time!!

groupie1 wrote:
saintbob wrote:FB: Bakes Gwilt Blake

HF: Ray Roo Schneider

Int: CJ, Geary, Mac, Jessy

Emerg: Steven, King, Dempster, Mini
Like it, would change one thing:

B: Bakes Gwilt Blake

HF: Ray Roo Walsh

Int: CJ, Mini, Mac, Jessy

Emerg: Steven, King, A Smith, Geary

Schneider doesn't do enough. Lacks a bit too much basic class. Put Mini so we can mix up Kozi in the ruck, and another runner, gives more flex forward (wanna go short we use Ray and Mini, taking Walsh off for spells)
That is the tallest forward line I have ever seen. Never going to happen. I dont think Stanley will play once Rooy comes back let alone a guy who has played 10 games of footy. Unless Schneider is injured he is 99% certain.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else find it really disappointing that Armo isn't in the best 22 for a potential finals series, when a few months ago people many people were saying that we'd have been better going into last years GF with him?

Unless this injury causes him to be reflective of his efforts this year, and somhow inspires him to fire up and do all he can to push for selection on his return, you can't help but feel he will regret taking this season for granted when he looks back in a few years.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Anyone else find it really disappointing that Armo isn't in the best 22 for a potential finals series, when a few months ago people many people were saying that we'd have been better going into last years GF with him?

Unless this injury causes him to be reflective of his efforts this year, and somhow inspires him to fire up and do all he can to push for selection on his return, you can't help but feel he will regret taking this season for granted when he looks back in a few years.
SainterK, several comments such as this are regular posted regarding a few players on our list.

But, with the greatest respect, how can we say about someone that we may see from a distance, for a couple of hours a week, that they are taking things for granted.

For all we know Armo, and others that are regularly mentioned, are busting their humps.

I believe Armo is trying his hardest to establish himself in the senior team. But that can only be done by a combination of application, talent, luck & opportunity.

And until someone proves otherwise, I'm not prepared to slag him for a lack of that first factor.

JABBER
Club Player

best 22,if fit for the finals

B BAKER DAWSON BLAKE

HB CLARKE FISHER GILBERT

C PEAKE HAYES GRAM

HF SCHNEIDER STANLEY MONTAGNA

F KOSI ROO MILNE

R GARDINER GODDARD DAL SANTO

IF GWILT JONES RAY MCQUALTER KING DEMPSTER GEARY

trevor barker
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

rexy wrote: HF Montagna Reiwoldt Mcqualter
F Schneider Koschitzke Milne
That's 4 smalls !

I'd worry about the balance in our forward line .. with 4 genuine smalls - who are likely to get outmuscled/outmarked in the finals.

We need 2 mid sized forwards in there - I don't know who at this stage - perhaps Heyne and Ray ?(if we can afford to shift Ray forward as he's a strong mark).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Anyone else find it really disappointing that Armo isn't in the best 22 for a potential finals series, when a few months ago people many people were saying that we'd have been better going into last years GF with him?

SainterK, several comments such as this are regular posted regarding a few players on our list.

But, with the greatest respect, how can we say about someone that we may see from a distance, for a couple of hours a week, that they are taking things for granted.

For all we know Armo, and others that are regularly mentioned, are busting their humps.

I believe Armo is trying his hardest to establish himself in the senior team. But that can only be done by a combination of application, talent, luck & opportunity.

And until someone proves otherwise, I'm not prepared to slag him for a lack of that first factor.
DS, I honestly don't form my opinions lightly...

I am convinced he has the talent and ability, I have seen it too often to doubt it, and have praised his game against Freo many times because it looked like it was going to be the start of something great.

He certainly has had opportunity, but let's be entirely honest here, it's round 11 and there is still a spot open in the Saints best 22 for a tough in and under player....can you believe it!

If you think he has made every effort to make this his spot his own, then you a lot more forgiving than me.

rexy
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:
rexy wrote: HF Montagna Reiwoldt Mcqualter
F Schneider Koschitzke Milne
That's 4 smalls !

I'd worry about the balance in our forward line .. with 4 genuine smalls - who are likely to get outmuscled/outmarked in the finals.

We need 2 mid sized forwards in there - I don't know who at this stage - perhaps Heyne and Ray ?(if we can afford to shift Ray forward as he's a strong mark).
I agree, but no medium size player has stood up in this spot, I think I said at the bottom of my post that i would like to see at least one small forward replaced but at he moment none of Lynch Heyne Eddy have shown that they are best 22.

My biggest hopes for the second half of the year are that someone stands up as a medium marking forward and that big Mac settles into second ruck as a certainty.

Maybe this year?
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I think 21 players are in our best 22 so far.

Backs: Blake, Dawson, Gwilt
Half Backs: Gilbert, Fisher, Gram
Centre: Montagna, Hayes, Ray
Half Forwards: Goddard, Riewoldt, McQualter
Forwards: Milne, Kosi, Schneider
Following: Gardiner, Dal Santo, Jones
Bench: McEvoy, Clarke, Baker

+ one of: Armitage/Geary/Steven/Heyne/J.Smith

The team picks itself really.

'Because we've got unfinished business'
....................Official Saintsational Banner Designer....................
saintnick12
Club Player

Moorabbin Saints wrote:I think 21 players are in our best 22 so far.

Backs: Blake, Dawson, Gwilt
Half Backs: Gilbert, Fisher, Gram
Centre: Montagna, Hayes, Ray
Half Forwards: Goddard, Riewoldt, McQualter
Forwards: Milne, Kosi, Schneider
Following: Gardiner, Dal Santo, Jones
Bench: McEvoy, Clarke, Baker

+ one of: Armitage/Geary/Steven/Heyne/J.Smith

The team picks itself really.
This team wil do me :wink:

I agree that last spot really is up for grabs. Geary seems to have it at the moment and any of the others you mentioned could slot in. I agree the other 21 are clearly in our best 22 when all fit and firing. Agree Stanley will miss out once Roo comes back, but the experience he's had will be invaluable for the future, or if god forbid we end up with an injury to a tall later in the year. Dont think Baker would start on the bench, but in this day and age it doesn't really make much difference. Certainly agree with the 21 as you have chosen it. I would like to see Amitage force himself into that 22nd spot, but sadly I don't think it will happen this year. I would be happy to see Steven or A Smith force their way into that last spot too.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

B: BLAKE - DAWSON - BAKER

HB: GWILT - S.FISHER - R.CLARKE - GILBERT

Ruck: M.GARDINER

C: MONTAGNA - HAYES - DAL SANTO - JONES - GRAM

HF: SCHNIEDER - GODDARD

F: KOSCHITZKE - RIEWOLDT - MILNE

INT: RAY - McQUALTER - PEAKE

AND ONE OF.....

Emerg: McEVOY - GEARY - EDDY - ARMITAGE - LYNCH - STANLEY - J.SMITH - DEMPSTER - KING - HEYNE

This is Ross Lyons preferred team IMO.....depends whether he wants two Rucks (his preference) or another Mid/for fwd and Kosi backing up...

I would suggest King would be favourite if fit....Dempster is a favourite also'''