Milne article in The Age - Small Mercies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Milne article in The Age - Small Mercies

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

don't agree with this part-
he wasn't alone.......
St Kilda supporters bayed for his removal after the grand final defeat by Geelong last year, a game in which Milne kicked 0.2 from three shots.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:don't agree with this part-
he wasn't alone.......
St Kilda supporters bayed for his removal after the grand final defeat by Geelong last year, a game in which Milne kicked 0.2 from three shots.
There was certainly some on here. In some threads people had Milne out of the side completely and in others they said to play him but drop him for finals which made no sense at all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was upset with him on here after the finals, I'm not going to pretend I wasn't. Then I remember reading Mark Robinsons article 'wall of tears' about the Saints rooms after the GF, it mentioned Milney's reaction, and then I felt terribly sorry.

St Michele
Club Player

I just hope that drive around the MCG is not too soon and of course that he has a blinder on Sunday at Subi.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
roxanne
Club Player

I have written to The Age complaining about that article.
I felt it was nasty and grudging. A much better and more respectful one in today's Australian.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

God Milne is a hated character in the AFL world.

That article says "If he were a sensitive soul, he would have packed up the boots long ago."

So true.

Milnes mental toughness is something we should all respect. That guy has to run onto the ground every week and receive an endless tirade of vile abuse from opposition supporters. It is just vile, vitriolic abuse. In the dark ages those people would be watching his head being severed egging the executioner on with glee.

I'll say it again, that mental toughness is something to be well respected.

If he has a cracking finals series, we win the grand final. Simple as that.

Milne exploding in the finals series will be painful punishment for whoever we play.

All the best Milney.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think they got it right about what some people think about Milney. Good article.

saintnick12
Club Player

Although the article was mostly fact, I didn't like the tone of it either. Something a little more positive would be more befitting for a 200game celebration I would have thought.

Agree with SainterK that Mark Robinson's article about the Saints rooms after last years GrandFinal certainly gave some perspective after the disappointment of our loss. The part about Milne howling in the arms of his mother and wife has stayed with me to this day and over summer I was wondering how he would get over it. He has done exceptionally well. I hope he gets his chance at redemption. A great finals series this year would be a great reward for him and to stick it up all his critics, especially his ex coach.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

great article.

doesn't bag the player, but points out that others bag the player.

its right on the nail.

100% and a good read.

lifted straight from bigfooty, especially the stats.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I was upset with him on here after the finals, I'm not going to pretend I wasn't. Then I remember reading Mark Robinsons article 'wall of tears' about the Saints rooms after the GF, it mentioned Milney's reaction, and then I felt terribly sorry.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5780019696
"Stephen Milne, whose wretched second quarter will haunt him for some time, sobbed in the arms of his wife, Melissa, and mother Bronwyn.

He sobbed and sucked in air at the same time, making a truly a horrible sound.

Amid scenes of uncontrollable emotion, "Milney" would collapse to his knees, cry, stand up and cry again.

As a word, devastation doesn't do it justice."

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
missgez
Club Player

a) I am extremely impressed you guys were able to read articles post-GF I was under a self-imposed media ban for about six months and

b) These were my comments posted on foxsports about Milney on Monday:

Gez says: Speaking on behalf of all those who proudly wear a red, black and white number 44 I am happy to hear Milney finally get some of the accolades he deserves. Doing things your own way is rarely popular and despite the constant knocks from opposition supporters, the media, his own supporters and even his former coach, Milney keeps on keeping on in his unique way. I have a long held belief that he is the bellwether of the team - when Milney plays well St Kilda wins. Great efforts by the irreplaceable tip rat who stands up there with the likes of Goddard, Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo as the reason the Riewoldt-less Saints are still in the top 4.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Powerful article. The wall of tears.

yipper
SS Life Member

Having read that Herald sun article (Mark Robinsons') for the very first time ever - I am really just re-living that shattering day today. I had purposely avoided all media about that day, but I made myself read this article. It was tough. I feel for the players I understand that they were as much shattered as I was. They are driven men this season, Milne's efforts typical of this. I believe that they are re-loading now ready for another crack. We will soon have our tough leaders, both champions, back together again. Milne can stand with them. They are coming. With all that has happened this year, we are positioned beautifully. We are ready.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
St Michele
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:I was upset with him on here after the finals, I'm not going to pretend I wasn't. Then I remember reading Mark Robinsons article 'wall of tears' about the Saints rooms after the GF, it mentioned Milney's reaction, and then I felt terribly sorry.
"Stephen Milne, whose wretched second quarter will haunt him for some time, sobbed in the arms of his wife, Melissa, and mother Bronwyn.

Amid scenes of uncontrollable emotion, "Milney" would collapse to his knees, cry, stand up and cry again.

thank you, you have made me cry

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Beekay
SS Life Member

Could have used a mention as to his freakish skills.

Put his highlights package together, and I bet you it topples any small forward to have ever played the game.... even Daicos. Remember how much more defensive pressure is on forwards in Milney's time also.

saintnick12
Club Player

St Michele wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

thank you, you have made me cry
I read the article at the time and it made me cry then. Read it again today and had another little cry . Just a reminder of how deeply they all felt it. The article paints a picture and you can visualize the boys sobbing in the arms of their parents. Not a pretty sight to have in mind. It was a stark reminder for me at the time it was published how as much as we were all hurting, they were hurting the most.

Is it just me, or was the emotion of our players out on the ground and reading about it more than usual?? Maybe I was paying more attention because it was us, or maybe because they had such a good year and got so close...For some reason grandfinals are rarely so close (the two westcoast/sydney ones the obvious exception). The emotion just seemed to be more obvious publicly than is the norm.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
I read the article at the time and it made me cry then. Read it again today and had another little cry . Just a reminder of how deeply they all felt it. The article paints a picture and you can visualize the boys sobbing in the arms of their parents. Not a pretty sight to have in mind. It was a stark reminder for me at the time it was published how as much as we were all hurting, they were hurting the most.

Is it just me, or was the emotion of our players out on the ground and reading about it more than usual?? Maybe I was paying more attention because it was us, or maybe because they had such a good year and got so close...For some reason grandfinals are rarely so close (the two westcoast/sydney ones the obvious exception). The emotion just seemed to be more obvious publicly than is the norm.
It was my First LIVE grandfinal but to me the emotion shown by the Saints- devastation and perhaps thinking about it even the elation shown by the cats was heightened... maybe it's the intensity of the game these days.... but
certainly it continues to 'haunt' them as Lenny said just a week or so ago..... I read the article then as I was graving information on how they were coping and felt that Mark Robinson managed to keep it simple but explain how it was....

as someone above said- it does show there is much more depth than many expect of Milney that he can rise above as he has done and is producing one of his great years on and off field.... Like hearing how moving his speach about Kosi ws pregame on Friday.
I wonder if Bakes will get the Honour this week would love to have Ross let us know.
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 10 Jun 2010 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintnick12
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

It was my First LIVE grandfinal but to me the emotion shown by the Saints- devastation and perhaps thinking about it even the elation shown by the cats was hightened... maybe it's the intensity of the game these days.... but
certainly it continues to 'haunt' them as Lenny said just a week or so ago..... I read the article then as I was graving information on how they were coping and felt that Mark Robinson managed to keep it simple but explain how it was....

as someone above said- it does show there is much more depth than many expect of Milney that he can rise above as he has done and is producing one of his great years on and off field.... Like hearing how moving his speach about Kosi ws pregame on Friday.
I wonder if Bakes will get the Honour this week would love to have Ross let us know.
It was my first LIVE GF for my own club too Saintbrat. I've been once before to the infamous 91 Hawthorn West Coast one at Waverley...the one with Angry Anderson and the batmobile. Managed to get there with a free ticket from a friend who was a Hawthorn member.

On Milney's 200th, I would think Ross or one of the players will let us know after the game of any special speech had for Milne. Ross has been great in talking about him this week so I'm sure there is something planned.

I didn't see any reference to Lenny saying it still haunts them, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. There are some terrible photos of some of the boys immediately after the game and you can only imagine after reading the article what it would have been like in there. One of the things I liked post match was how Ross referred to them as "my boys are hurting" - almost in a fatherly way. He was proud of them, wasn't laying blame on anyone - win as a team, lose as a team." We can only hope this is giving them strength this year as there has been no shortage of issues and dramas at the club since the start of the preseason and we have already been written off by many in the footy world a few weeks ago, but here we are at 8-3 with Nick having only played in 2 and a bit of those games. We have beaten all the top teams we have played so far, and done so without Nick. We have dropped a couple when we shouldn't have, but overall are doing exceptionally well.
How many of us if we are honest when we were at the NAB GF and got smashed by the Dogs, thought that we would be where we are now without Riewoldt and that they would be where they are - really struggling and having been beaten by all the top teams. I certainly take our spot right now rather than theirs and it didn't look like that back then. It sounds like a cliche, but a win this year would be all the sweeter for all that the boys have been through. While they are still a chance I'll be there supporting them no matter what. As I said before, this year could be one for the "true believers".

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:[
I didn't see any reference to Lenny saying it still haunts them, but it certainly doesn't surprise me. There are some terrible photos of some of the boys immediately after the game and you can only imagine after reading the article what it would have been like in there. One of the things I liked post match was how Ross referred to them as "my boys are hurting" - almost in a fatherly way.
I noted at the time that comment- and made me proud of them all and that Ross really was 'one of the team"

it was interview last week on SEN
http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio ... -Hayes/501
St Kilda star Midfielder Lenny Hayes
Lenny Hayes joined Tim, Andy and Matthew Lloyd to discuss his form as well as the position of the Saints after round 10.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

One of the best footy articles I've read this year. Struck a good balance between praising Milney's ability to defy the critics and reach 200 games, whilst highlighting why the critics have been critical of him

Sainterone
Club Player

today is MILNE day - bump

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think they got it right about what some people think about Milney. Good article.

you obviously have a connection with journo's.......clean their offices do you....? :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.