We are going to win this week because.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We are going to win this week because.....

Well, just because :wink:

Seriously though, some very good reasons why I expect this to be a win.

Sandilands has played something crazy like 90% TOG this year, and while his tapwork is still amazing, signs are that he is very tired around the ground. Confident that while our rucks may not be able to compete in pure tapwork, I'd back Gardiner and McEvoy to run this big guy of his feet and beat him around the ground. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I'd also rotate Kosi through there at signs of tiredness (similar to the move against Hudson when we played the Bulldogs)

Thought some of the kids were exposed a little under pressure against Adelaide, also some younger bodies must be feeling it about this time of the season.

Our running players, Joey, Peake, Raph (hope he plays) are all in some good form. Especially looking forward to seeing Joey running down the wing and combining some ripper goals with some beautiful inside 50 deliveries.

Think Freo expended a lot of energy to get themselves back into the game against Adelaide, and we are coming off a good break.

Finally, and in closing, I think our guys are pretty amazing.

PS - Could the guys doing the kickouts please refrain from kicking it long to a contest involving Sandilands this time, thank you :)

wasaintsfan
Club Player

we will win this week because i will be at the game.... singing and dancing... like vs the eagles will be trying my hardest to get the supporters and players up even if we fall a little bit off the pace

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Just out of interest K, when was the last time you thought we'd lose?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Just out of interest K, when was the last time you thought we'd lose?
Against Carlton, and everyone on here assured me I didn't need to worry because of our record.

St Michele
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:we will win this week because i will be at the game.... singing and dancing... like vs the eagles will be trying my hardest to get the supporters and players up even if we fall a little bit off the pace
Ditto and also my daughter is a Freo supporter so I don't want to have to deal with her next week :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

We will win because their kids look like they are limping towards the break.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We will win because Sandilands (best ruckman ever to play AFL) will be rubbed out and Lenny will get off :shock:

busso mick
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:We will win because Sandilands (best ruckman ever to play AFL) will be rubbed out and Lenny will get off :shock:
You are half way there.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Can't say I'm confidant this week. If I wanted to build the case, I'd do it this way:

1) We beat them last time we met.
2) Subiaco's a midfielders ground. We've got a better midfield.
3) Scoringwise, small keys have always performed well on the wide open spaces.

That said, they've got the best KPP (Pavlich), which is a big deal. If Tippett stretched our backline, Sandi's going to terrify them. They've got a young, hungry team - which may run out of gas by rd 22, but at this stage should come in very hungry for the scalp, not just the 4 points.

Our offense still has trouble after behinds, and going inside 50.

It will take big games from Goddard, Montagna, and Milne to put us over the top.

On a different note, be very curious to see how our Gardiner/McEvoy combo goes against Sandilands/whoever rucks while Sandilands scares the pants out of our defenders. They were supposed to get smashed by Cox/Nat, and turned the game in our favour.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Can't say I'm confidant this week. If I wanted to build the case, I'd do it this way:

1) We beat them last time we met.
2) Subiaco's a midfielders ground. We've got a better midfield.
3) Scoringwise, small keys have always performed well on the wide open spaces.

That said, they've got the best KPP (Pavlich), which is a big deal. If Tippett stretched our backline, Sandi's going to terrify them. They've got a young, hungry team - which may run out of gas by rd 22, but at this stage should come in very hungry for the scalp, not just the 4 points.

Our offense still has trouble after behinds, and going inside 50.

It will take big games from Goddard, Montagna, and Milne to put us over the top.

On a different note, be very curious to see how our Gardiner/McEvoy combo goes against Sandilands/whoever rucks while Sandilands scares the pants out of our defenders. They were supposed to get smashed by Cox/Nat, and turned the game in our favour.
Pavlich is the one. We roved Sandilands well enough last time. But Pavlich is red hot at present. Gwilt, IMO, has to do a real job on him and we have to absolutely dominate clearances.

All that said, I think this is a game we would have set ourselves for after two relatively softish ones and I believe our mids are good enough to pants theirs.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainterone
Club Player

There may be a chance that the players might step up a cog to pay tribute to the one, the only......

Stephen Milne

200 super games

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Big game for a simply terrific Saint.

Will he go missing?

I think not. Esp on Subie.

Another five for the rat. Ink 'em in.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Pavlich can only be in one place at a time, so when he's forward we should win the midfield battle even with Freo having Sandi, when he's in the middle they don't have another quality key position forward to kick it too.

He is the biggest concern though. All St Kilda players need to be aware that he often has shots from 60-65 metres out to avoid having to kick it into the congested forward line. We need to be on the ball with this one, he is a freakishly good long range shot for goal.

Stephen Hill also needs to be taken care of, he is amazing if you let him get his confidence up and find plenty of the footy. He needs to be tagged by CJ. Let Lenny go head to head with Barlow and teach him a very valuable lesson.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Cos we have Lenny and the Tiprat

I love this club
bigred
Saintsational Legend

But Pavlich is red hot at present
Pavlich hardly got a touch on the weekend.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Another five for the rat. Ink 'em in.
if the little fella kicks five then we'll win.

westy
Club Player

We will win this week because I bloodywell said so, that's why!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

OK, on watching the replay of when we played them last time, my only concern.

Armitage was so important to this win, in the last quarter he stepped it up another level and won so much contested ball. Actually, he was 4th in the comp that week for contested ball (Lenny, Judd, Watson)

Given we were poor in the midfield last week, I hope somebody is able to have a blinder.

In saying that, we only had 5 individual goalkickers last time, so I'd like to see the likes of Joey, Dal, Peakes continue to hit the scoreboard.

We will still win though.

JABBER
Club Player

we are going to win this week because

Fremantle cant win big games at home and the way we played in the second half against west coast on the same ground shows we can play at subi

trevor barker
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: we are going to win this week because

JABBER wrote:Fremantle cant win big games at home and the way we played in the second half against west coast on the same ground shows we can play at subi
conversely, freo won big games at home against geelong and west coast. and the way we played in the first half against west coast shows we can't play at subi.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

This game is huge in the context of things. I fear the Dockers are going to want to rectify the result of their last game against us. It'll be a close contest, that's for sure!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rumour over here is Pav might be carrying an injury into the game ... having said that i would be suprised if some of our guys are doing the same ....

this is a real big test this week !! win it and then our confidence will be sky high

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Im starting to hate these threads... We seem to lose after every one!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We'll win because their coach is more worried about how we got over there, than how we'll play.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

We'll win because Fish will got to Pav, won't he?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches