Armo out with a knee: 3 to 4 weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Armo out with a knee: 3 to 4 weeks

Reported in The Age today.

Grade 1 strain.

Major bummer.

He could've replaced Eddy.

saintkid
Club Player

Disappointing but could have been worse so a bit of relief. Might get back sooner than 3-4 weeks if minor medial strain.

Saintsfan
Club Player

If Armo gave the constant effort that Eddy does every game he plays he would be a star.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Not good news. At least the mid season break falls in between.

Sad about Goose too. Was starting to wonder whether we made the right decision letting him go but I guess the fitness staff knew better. Interesting that it happened on Etihad's surface.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Armo gives 100% effort every game....is 200% better than Eddy and not quite sure why Eddy is in the seniors and Armo is in the two's....Armo has been BOG in the seconds two week in a row (now injured) and won the B&F last year...Eddy has never been BOG in the twos.

He will go the way of X.Clarke, Ball, Maguire etc....and go to another club and do better given the opportunity....he has never been perseverred with

Some player and some coaches do not click....some do.

elvis lives
Club Player

couldn't agree more marto. Armo has performed better and has a tonne more upside than Eddy - or mcqualter o geary for that matter but just is not liked by the coach. Ross the boss clearly has a thing against clearance winning, goal kicking, contested possession getting, tackling machines. maybe the pies have got room on their list for another one - just a quicker younger version.

we on the other hand need to scour the VFL for more space fillers. as good as he is, Eddy can only fill so much space on his own.

I am marching in the Saints army
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Armo gives 100% effort every game....is 200% better than Eddy and not quite sure why Eddy is in the seniors and Armo is in the two's....Armo has been BOG in the seconds two week in a row (now injured) and won the B&F last year...Eddy has never been BOG in the twos.

He will go the way of X.Clarke, Ball, Maguire etc....and go to another club and do better given the opportunity....he has never been perseverred with

...just what i was thinking......ross has his favourites......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I wrote in another thread, it just seems bar this injury that its becoming obvious that hes not being played because of the gold coast, hope Im wrong

Before Im 85
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Get back Armo - Work your way into the seniors!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have been a big supporter of Armo, but to say he has given over 100% effort his last couple of games isn't accurate IMO. He has ability, puts his head over the ball, tons of courage....but I still feel something is missing, can't put my finger on it really.

I guess I want him to want that spot in the midfield, if that makes sense?

Maybe this injury will give him a chance to reflect a little, and he can push as hard as is humanly possible to make a case to be part of a finals campaign this year.

I am not sure we need to question other players commitment in this thread, because this is entirely up to Armo.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
BigMart wrote:Armo gives 100% effort every game....is 200% better than Eddy and not quite sure why Eddy is in the seniors and Armo is in the two's....Armo has been BOG in the seconds two week in a row (now injured) and won the B&F last year...Eddy has never been BOG in the twos.

...just what i was thinking......ross has his favourites......
any mail on a move north, perhaps? it could explain...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rexy
SS Life Member

I dont think he does enough in the defensive side of the game, great tackler at stoppages etc but doesnt get to enough contests or cover his man /space well, also often does not run and spread enough while we have the ball IMO.

The reason Mini gets a game every week is that he does this stuff very well, this is why he can get the easy marks at 35-40 metres out, he runs and spreads when we get the ball.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:I dont think he does enough in the defensive side of the game, great tackler at stoppages etc but doesnt get to enough contests or cover his man /space well, also often does not run and spread enough while we have the ball IMO.

The reason Mini gets a game every week is that he does this stuff very well, this is why he can get the easy marks at 35-40 metres out, he runs and spreads when we get the ball.
100% correct.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
rexy wrote:I dont think he does enough in the defensive side of the game, great tackler at stoppages etc but doesnt get to enough contests or cover his man /space well, also often does not run and spread enough while we have the ball IMO.

100% correct.
this may be the reason he is out of favour, but for mine armitage just doesn't win enough of the ball. needs to lift his workrate, because he could be a damaging inside mid. he also has good goal sense.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

100% correct.
this may be the reason he is out of favour, but for mine armitage just doesn't win enough of the ball. needs to lift his workrate, because he could be a damaging inside mid. he also has good goal sense.
Can't argue with either of those statements. Armo needs to put his head down just like Mini did last year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
wasaintsfan
Club Player

armo has the ability just needs to use it... he tries hard when hes tackling as applying pressure but doesnt run and spread and looks to be applying heavy tags even when weve got the ball

i hope he starts to get a wiggle on because itd be a shame if they let him go because the talent and potential is there

elvis lives
Club Player

i love how we are getting smashed in the clearances by the tigers! and we are trading away clearances players (or not trading them more to the point) and leaving others in the reserves so we can have more players that don't get the ball but "spread well". ACE!

I am marching in the Saints army
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Was pretty hard to make out, but was it Armo slung to the fence by Tarkyn Lockyer on Saturday in the VFL?

I could've sworn it was him - was lucky to come off with just a knee if so

rexy
SS Life Member

elvis lives wrote:i love how we are getting smashed in the clearances by the tigers! and we are trading away clearances players (or not trading them more to the point) and leaving others in the reserves so we can have more players that don't get the ball but "spread well". ACE!
Think you are missing the point mate, modern footy relies on everyone to be a part, outside mids still need to win contested footy and tackle hard, inside mids still need to spread and get open, be an option. If not then you are one man short as the op players will be trying to do both.

No room to rest on your strengths and not work on your weaknesses in todays professional game.

Maybe this year?
lefty
Club Player

F***, at first I thought I heard he did his knee, and I was thinking "oh get farked..."

3-4 weeks is much better than a year.

It just makes me so angry that Eddy gets a game before Armo.

Who in our midfield is an in and under player?
Who in our midfield tackles harder than armo?

No one.

Total bs that he's not playing imo.

Eddy is way below Armo status.

Ross needs to stop picking his favourites... aka Eddy, aka Dempster (which im sure will be in soon enough)

rexy
SS Life Member

lefty wrote:F***, at first I thought I heard he did his knee, and I was thinking "oh get farked..."

3-4 weeks is much better than a year.

It just makes me so angry that Eddy gets a game before Armo.

Who in our midfield is an in and under player?
Who in our midfield tackles harder than armo?

No one.

Total bs that he's not playing imo.

Eddy is way below Armo status.

Ross needs to stop picking his favourites... aka Eddy, aka Dempster (which im sure will be in soon enough)
Hayes Jones Montagna DalSanto Goddard all play in and under when needed, all tackle as hard as possible as well, When Armo runs to make himself an option as hard as he cans and chases and runs to fill space or get posessions as hard as he can then he will get a game.

IMO

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

With so many possible reasons why Armo may not be in the side, just wondering why it's assumed that it's down to a case of coaches favourites?

There is currently a place for a clearance midfielder in the St Kilda side, Luke didn't want it, Armo certainly doesn't get it by default...

Someone needs to stand up and take it IMO.

rexy
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:With so many possible reasons why Armo may not be in the side, just wondering why it's assumed that it's down to a case of coaches favourites?

There is currently a place for a clearance midfielder in the St Kilda side, Luke didn't want it, Armo certainly doesn't get it by default...

Someone needs to stand up and take it IMO.
Spot on, Eddy Geary Steven Heyne and Armo all had a shot, not one of them has put their stamp on it, not one of them has stood up and said, now that i am in i will not be going out.

Professional football coaches dont have favourites, they may have some that they put more faith in than others, but not favourites.

Maybe this year?
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

As much as I love Armo - He performance before getting dropped was worthy of being dropped.

Much like Ball's last year.

But I still love Armo - And thought he dominated last week!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spot on.

great being in and under.

not so good if you get it only 12 times and you cant run to cover your opponent or get to a contest.

IF Armo could balance winning the hard ball with getting on the end of some outside ball more I reckon hed be a walk up.

very ball like right now.

“Yeah….nah””