I really am stupid...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I really am stupid...

Here I am writing off the Geelong match because our captain is out, we're in shaky form and Geelong just look unbeatable...

I watched the game tonight and to be honest West Coast should be bloody proud of themselves. They lost tonight purely because they made so many crucial errors in the final few minutes. If a more skilled team was playing them, they may well have beaten the Cats.

I think we can bring that style of footy and we should actually have a chance to win this game. West Coast have shown that Geelong certainly are vulnerable if they have a bad night. There's absoltuely no reason why they wouldn't be able to have a bad night in round 13.

But I've been made to look like a complete idiot now. Any team can beat any other team on the day - that's all it comes down to. Still won't be going in confident or anything but someone has to beat them sooner or later. Why not us?

Of course we have to worry about Freo next week first - massive test, and I'm well aware of that. The thing is I almost drew a linethrough this Geelong match pre-season, I did when Riewoldt went down and then I scribbled it out after we were 5-3 after round 8. Now I'm starting to realise anything can happen.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Fair and understandable call.

However...

I think the cats are really limping into the break atm....West coast should have won. They really are looking vulnerable imo.

Freo first.

Remember, beating the cats at their best in the H & A means sweet FA.

I wouldn't give a damn if we rested players against Geelong.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

they are people, players, nothing more.

you have to go in with the right attitude.

Essendon were unbeatable in 1999.

essendon were the 'best team' in 2001.

If anyone saw the blood bath at telstra dome when a young st kilda side won by less than a goal again the great brisbane team in what 2002 or 3? I forget, but we were not on the radar even then (the one where knobel was stretchered off)

we are certainly good enough, though I'm not sure our players minds are where they should be atm.

We are coming into focus for 20 mins, 30 mins etc, when we should be in focus for 80 to 100 minutes.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Agree with that as well.

I don't think our headspace has been right since half way through the Collingwood game. I think there is some self doubt floating around.

We have only been 100% switched on against North.

Still, we are doing enough. After losing Roo, I was really thinking that we were screwed but our TEAM has performed very well indeed.

These upcoming games are both winnable. If we beat Freo, and go into the break in second spot, that would be an exceptional result considering what has happened in the first half of the year.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Geelong are FAR from unbeatable.

1. They've lost 2 games already this year.
2. They were very much challenged against Essendon, Hawthorn, Collingwood and West Coast.
3. Of their 5 massive wins this year, 4 have been at Kardinia Park, where they are far better and utilise their knowledge of the ground and conditions.
4. We beat them last year, and so nearly won the Grand Final against them despite minimal impact from Riewoldt.

Realistically they are slightly ahead of the pack, but not very far, and we head the pack. We are better than the Dogs, Pies and Freo without Roo, we are well in the flag hunt, we can definitely beat Freo and Geelong, and we are definitely second-best placed out of 6 genuine flag hopes to win the whole thing in 2010.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I don't think our headspace has been right since half way through the Collingwood game. I think there is some self doubt floating around.
rooey needs to look everyone of them in the eye this week and give them a rev up about what needs to happen in the coming month.

it's his leadership as much as his football that we're missing, i think.

lenny's also a marvellous captain, but rooey is the acknowledged leader.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Agree with that as well.

I don't think our headspace has been right since half way through the Collingwood game. I think there is some self doubt floating around.

We have only been 100% switched on against North.

Still, we are doing enough. After losing Roo, I was really thinking that we were screwed but our TEAM has performed very well indeed.

These upcoming games are both winnable. If we beat Freo, and go into the break in second spot, that would be an exceptional result considering what has happened in the first half of the year.
Today and possibly tomorrow, have and maybe will show that this is not 2009. Last year 2 teams had won 11 games. This year the best is 9 and 2, and only just. WC should have beaten Geelong tonight, you don't need to play on quickly when you mark in the forward 50. They panicked but really rattled Geelong. We are right in the thick of it and I think we will throw our best game at Freo next week. With two weeks break, this is possibly the most important game of the season for us.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Problem is, we dont play them last night. We play them in the future.

IOt is exactly like the usual call we hear when we win against a lowere team like Richmond - "we wont be Geelong if we play like that". Maybe, but we dont play them until another time.

Comparing how Geelong play last night compared to how they will play in the future is futile.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
na exa
Club Player

gilbert was 'dropping his mojo' in that game , thats when it started alright.

one of our greatest wins but the rot was taking hold ... strange.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Problem is, we dont play them last night. We play them in the future.

IOt is exactly like the usual call we hear when we win against a lowere team like Richmond - "we wont be Geelong if we play like that". Maybe, but we dont play them until another time.

Comparing how Geelong play last night compared to how they will play in the future is futile.
I get where you're coming from but what I meant was I never considered that Geelong could have an off night until I saw last nights game.

They won't play the same way against us in two weeks time and I'm certainly not stupid enough to suggest that for even a second, but if they have another off night and we play out of our skins, there's no reason why we wouldn't win.

howlinwolf
Club Player

They were missing, Ottens,Hawkins,Scarlett, Ling and Corey.

We will do very well to beat them in round 13.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
quidnunc
Club Player

I have to agree with the title of your thread ..................

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Geelong are much better this year than last, when you take into account the five premiership players that are missing.

They can be beaten, but I wouldn't get carried away with how they played this week. They won, as we did, and that's all that matters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Geelong are infinitely more organised than anyone else at the moment.

I don't think we are in their zone YET. But I don't want us to be. Happy to scrap our way to somewhere higher than fifth and hit our straps in Rd 22 in advance of finals to be honest.

When we start more kicking goals from general play and are less reliant on turnover goals I'll be convinced we are on our way.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'