8-3 is pretty good but the next 5 games are gonna test us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Next 5 doesnt matter. Lose next week and top 2 in just about done. We need to win next week so we dont play Freo there again in the finals.
completely disagree

Group of young player, long season, a couple of injuries, a couple of shock loses (have not tipped it but would not be suprised to see the crows upset them) and freo are back in the pack. Their % is not great (about the same as ours) so it's more banking the points that is important.

Even if they get a final at subi I back the saints, pies or cats to beat them in a final.
We win next week and we can get second. If we lose we are probably 2 games behind and they have a much better run than us. Dont know about you but playing them in a final at Freo after losing to them at the same place earlier in the season isnt an ideal preparation. We need to win this week.
cats played us in a grand final after losing to us during the season, pies beat us a cuple of years back and we pumped them in the finals, we beat the hawks in 08 and the game was over by quarter time in that prelim.

I get what your saying but I still have HUGE doubts over them in finals. Can see them losing a qualifying final at home, win the semi and then lose to the cats in a prelim.

Too hard to call at this stage, ask me in round 20 :D
Why dont we just beat them this week.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Next 5 doesnt matter. Lose next week and top 2 in just about done. We need to win next week so we dont play Freo there again in the finals.
completely disagree

Group of young player, long season, a couple of injuries, a couple of shock loses (have not tipped it but would not be suprised to see the crows upset them) and freo are back in the pack. Their % is not great (about the same as ours) so it's more banking the points that is important.

Even if they get a final at subi I back the saints, pies or cats to beat them in a final.
We win next week and we can get second. If we lose we are probably 2 games behind and they have a much better run than us. Dont know about you but playing them in a final at Freo after losing to them at the same place earlier in the season isnt an ideal preparation. We need to win this week.
cats played us in a grand final after losing to us during the season, pies beat us a cuple of years back and we pumped them in the finals, we beat the hawks in 08 and the game was over by quarter time in that prelim.

I get what your saying but I still have HUGE doubts over them in finals. Can see them losing a qualifying final at home, win the semi and then lose to the cats in a prelim.

why suggest that it's the end of the world if we don't?? Thats the point I am arguing against. I would hope we throw everything at them next week as this is the second biggest challenge in AFL footy (currently, at this moment). But nohing more then getting the 4 points and denying another top 4 side the points.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
completely disagree

why suggest that it's the end of the world if we don't?? Thats the point I am arguing against. I would hope we throw everything at them next week as this is the second biggest challenge in AFL footy (currently, at this moment). But nohing more then getting the 4 points and denying another top 4 side the points.
Not sure I said it was the end of the world. Said it was a huge game for us. Pretty sure most people would agree with that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Everyone says Freo has a good run home, but have a look, they are going to be playing teams desperately fighting for the eight....

I wouldn't pencil in a win for them in their last 3 rounds against Carlton, Sydney and Hawthorn, all of who may be desperate to play finals and fighting for a spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Everyone says Freo has a good run home, but have a look, they are going to be playing teams desperately fighting for the eight....

I wouldn't pencil in a win for them in their last 3 rounds against Carlton, Sydney and Hawthorn, all of who may be desperate to play finals and fighting for a spot.
They could easily lose form but on their current form 2 of those are pretty much certain wins and the Hawks game they would be clear favourites. They have clearly the best draw left of the current top 8 sides.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:
completely disagree

Agree. Last year, we did not blood a lot of younger players and we were lucky enough not to score many injuries. We relied on the experienced tougher bodies. Freo will fade toward the end of the season due to the toll on some of their younger players bodies.

Re-Crows, I have actually tipped it for this week.

The Geelong game I have pencilled in for a lost. The old 'win in the H&A and lose in the GF' hoodoo proved itself true yet again last year, even though I scoffed at it at the time when it was mentioned on the forum. This year I won't be messing with the footy gods!

I don't want winning streaks or minor premierships. I just want us positioned somewhere between 1-4 on the ladder when the season ends. The rest will sort itself out at the pointy end of the season. A team with Gram, Roo and Zac fit and firing will make one hell of a difference. Games into young bodies now will pay dividends next year or later this year if we should have any injuries.

Make no mistake, we WILL be going deep into the finals. This team WINS when it matters. They did what they needed to last night, no more, no less. 2 hard games coming up so why kill yourself against Richmond (who must be said are improving so it was not going to be a slaughter anyway).

Fortius Quo Fidelius
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

We can speculate, ruminate, articulate, and cogitate all we like about future fixtures and their likely/unlikely outcomes. BUT, of course the games in question still remain to be actually PLAYED and while its fun and interesting to make predictions etc these pursuits have no bearing on the games themselves, so I'll just continue to hope we can win each game as it comes up and get enough wins to qualify for the top eight, followed by enough wins to get us a top four spot, and then to win every final.
By the way, I went over to Dockerland to vist their forum, and boy have they got ahead of themselves! Talking of booking flights for the GF!!!!
and beating Geelong in the GF by 5 goals! (All based on their win in round three!)
We can win at Subiaco, the pressure is on the Dockers and we saw how they handled that pressure when they met Collingwood. On the other hand, they seem to get on the right end of some pretty bizarre events when we play 'em!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saintsfan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
completely disagree

I guess that makes sense.

The Saintsfan Cometh
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

It's simple, we have to keep winning and we will make our own fate and create our own luck and not have to worry about other results.
I was really amazed that some people here on earlier threads weren't concerned about losing in round 12 or 13.
You can't afford to lose any week whether it be round 1 or 22 if you have ideals of winning a premiership.
Whilst we may say that we want a top 4 position, be in no doubt that Ross & co will really want a top 2 spot, because it is from there that you have the best chance of launching a succesful premiership campaign.
Personally I was a bit disappointed in them last night, because I believe we never really got out of second gear last night and we could have, and really should have won by a fair bit more last night.
But, it's over, and I just hope they can steel themselves to beat Freo at Subi.
That will be a big win if they do it and give them confidence to take on Geelong in 3 weeks.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

3 week till we play the cats ! gee it would be nice to see roo and gram back for that ! I know im being optimistic about roo , but i have heard he's back kicking the ball

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:3 week till we play the cats ! gee it would be nice to see roo and gram back for that ! I know im being optimistic about roo , but i have heard he's back kicking the ball
I did hear on the radio last night that Roo could be back by next month.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

I reckon we can win:
Freo - Sandipants may be rubbed out.
Melbourne - should go without saying
Brisbane - way out of form (lost to NM)
Collingwood - ROO WILL BE BACK!! :)

Sainter for life.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:I reckon we can win:
Freo - Sandipants may be rubbed out.
Melbourne - should go without saying
Brisbane - way out of form (lost to NM)
Collingwood - ROO WILL BE BACK!! :)
We can beat Geelong too and why shouldn't we. It's about time we stopped putting them up on a pedestal. Let's smash Geelong and that is my 5000th post.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 06 Jun 2010 2:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

PakenhamSaint wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:3 week till we play the cats ! gee it would be nice to see roo and gram back for that ! I know im being optimistic about roo , but i have heard he's back kicking the ball
I did hear on the radio last night that Roo could be back by next month.
No need to rush him back. Get him right.

derby Street
Club Player

I am sure someone has this information (I am too lazy to look it up) Of the top teams how many play current top 8 teams for the rest of the season ???
Sorry to be a pain
:D

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:I am sure someone has this information (I am too lazy to look it up) Of the top teams how many play current top 8 teams for the rest of the season ???
Sorry to be a pain
:D
At the moment, the bottom part of the Top 8 is wide open so even if you are playing 11th, you may end up with Brisbane at the Gabba which I wouldn't call an easy game, or Hawthorn at the G.

Probably the Top 6 is starting to settle, but Adelaide (15th) beat Freo and WC (14th) nearly beat Geel.

We have some tough games and a lot of them are so called 8 point games. Coll, Geel, Freo and our bogey side Brisbane at the Gabba.