If Zac's slump continues...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Firstly I think Lyon is going to give him every chance to re-discover his form as Zac is really our only "big" defensive option. Though with his reported weight loss he is not so big at present.

But if his form of last year does not return, what do we do?

Reading one of the Sandi threads there was a suggestion about playing Demspter as a key defender.I had similar thoughts while watching the game.

Dempster is an ok height, but lightly framed. He can however play on small, mediums and the right tall.

On the plus side he is versatile as can also be a run-with tagger if for example CJ is copping a hiding.

In terms of being key defender he may not in himself be that , but he would free Blake up to be.

A backline of say say:

Baker Blake Dempster
Gwilt Fisher Gilbert

...has a bit to like about it and is quite versatile. The two Sam's for run and attack....which the long-kicking of Gwilt and Dempster can add too.

Mr Utility BJ can drift back when required.

Now either of the two Sam's could play FB, but the main problem with that is we lose a lot of attacking drive in doing so.

Now Blake may not be the perfect FB, but he is very experienced, is an underrated spoiler and while not quick as ok pace and is an enormous runner. Potentially giving him the role keeps our two Sam's free.

MEANWHILE:

* In the background Jesse Smith is lurking and if he gains form and fines could well be a better option than Dempster.
* Geary continues to have his chance to improve and play as a second small defender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

?????????? Arguably our best defender for the past 2 weeks has been Raph Clarke. NO MENTION??????????? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Slump?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

His slump is so bad I bet he doesn't even get a kick tonight!! :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Slump?
Dr. Spaceman MD: "You know, I'm a brilliant surgeon, perhaps I could fix your slump?"

Z-gor: "What slump?"

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:?????????? Arguably our best defender for the past 2 weeks has been Raph Clarke. NO MENTION??????????? !!
Agreed!!!

Raph has been one of our best in each of the last 2 games. There is no way he loses his place.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

#1GILL wrote:
Eastern wrote:?????????? Arguably our best defender for the past 2 weeks has been Raph Clarke. NO MENTION??????????? !!
Agreed!!!

Raph has been one of our best in each of the last 2 games. There is no way he loses his place.
Can't quite believe it but I'm agreeing with this comment.

We would have to be one club with so many fringe players who could play a similar role, Geary, Smith, Heyne, Mini, Smith, Gwilt, Armo, Steven, even Clarke. Its good to have depth but please can a couple of them please step up to the plate and reach that next level (maybe being a bit harsh to Gwilt, Mini and Clarke on recent form but you know what I'm saying.)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Raph well ahead of Dempster in that role and Smith should be the next given a chance. Dempster was poor in his return game and hasn't done anything since his ACL to suggest he deserves a spot in the 22.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We normally play a 4 man HB line....we always have a spare down back.

B: Blake -- Dawson -- Baker

B: Gwilt -- Raph -- S.Fisher -- S.Gilbert -- any of them freed up

C: Montagna (out) -- Gardiner (r) -- Hayes (ins) -- Dal Santo (in/out) -- Jones (t) -- Gram (out)

HF: Schnieder -- Goddard

F: Koschitzke -- Riewoldt -- Milne

Int: McEvoy -- Ray -- Peake -- McQualter

Emerg: Armitage -- Geary -- Dempster

----------------------------------------------------------------

Others in consideration: Eddy -- J.Smith -- J.Steven

Depth only: S.King -- A.Pattison -- L.Fisher

Still Developing: Heyne -- A.Smith -- R.Stanley -- T.Lynch - may play in 2010

Still way off: Walsh -- Gaertner -- Johnson -- Winmar -- Archer -- Hutchings -- Cahill -- McGrath - wont play in 2010

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How did Zac's slump look tonight?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: If Zac's slump continues...

[quote="saintsRrising"]If Zac's slump continues...

I guessing we won't really care as he will be playing with Sandringham, won't be an automatic selection once he's over his current injury.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:If Zac's slump continues...

I guessing we won't really care as he will be playing with Sandringham, won't be an automatic selection once he's over his current injury.
How did our full backs go last night?

saintbob
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saintbob wrote:

Once they put the bloke on Jack who should have started there, Sam Fisher, I think they went quite well.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Thought we could have done with Zac's slump last night.

Anyone know how many times they kicked it to Reiwoldt?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I remember on at least one occasion the ball was passed to a Saints defender but Jack intercepted it for a goal. Jack was very good tonight, unfortunately.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Thought we could have done with Zac's slump last night.

Anyone know how many times they kicked it to Reiwoldt?
He was their inside 50 target 10 times.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I remember on at least one occasion the ball was passed to a Saints defender but Jack intercepted it for a goal. Jack was very good tonight, unfortunately.
McEvoy, and Goddard was filthy :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbob wrote:

Once they put the bloke on Jack who should have started there, Sam Fisher, I think they went quite well.
If 2 goals in 10 minutes satifies you then you are easliy pleased. Also just one thing on Fisher playing FB. It completely cuts out his run. He had to play there this week but will not ply there if there is another option like Zac.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It might have been a blessing for Zac that he didn't play last night, as Riewoldt, in the form he was in, may have ripped him a new one. With his loss of strength since last year, I expect Jack would have thrown him around like a rag-doll, especially since Sam and Blake were unable to match his strength. It could have sent his confidence to new lows. He may have been very glad to have been sitting in the stands.
It's a pity they didn't get the ball down to Riewoldt in the last couple of minutes, as I would have liked to have see how Rhys would have gone. He clearly wouldn't have had the strength, but he'd have had the reach, leap and speed to get a spoil in. Dustin Fletcher like.
As for Zac, I don't think I'd play him on Pavlich, so unless there's someone tall for Zac to play on, for most of the game, I wouldn't be taking him to Perth next week. When we went over there a couple of weeks ago, he sat on the pine for 40% of the game and we don't need that again. We're likely to need plenty of speed and run and he doesn't give us that. I'd rather they give A Smith, who has heaps of speed and skill, a game, in his home state, in place of R Eddy. Or hopefully they'll give Tommy a game, after he kicks 8 today. :wink:
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 05 Jun 2010 12:33pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No coincidence, Zac off the field last week injured Adelaide played alright, last night the opposition key forward managed to do alright.

He is important to our structure, and even though I have been critical of him in recent weeks, I believe I have undervalued the importance of his 'role' and put to much emphasis on his individual form.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It might have been a blessing for Zac that he didn't play last night, as Riewoldt, in the form he was in, may have ripped him a new one. With his loss of strength since last year, I expect Jack would have thrown him around like a rag-doll, especially since Sam and Blake were unable to match his strength. It could have sent his confidence to new lows. He may have been very glad to have been sitting in the stands.
It's a pity they didn't get the ball down to Riewoldt in the last couple of minutes, as I would have liked to have see how Rhys would have gone. He clearly wouldn't have had the strength, but he'd have had the reach, leap and speed to get a spoil in. Dustin Fletcher like.
As for Zac, I don't think I'd play him on Pavlich, so unless there's someone tall for Zac to play on, for most of the game, I wouldn't be taking him to Perth next week. When we went over there a couple of weeks ago, he sat on the pine for 40% of the game and we don't need that again. We're likely to need plenty of speed and run and he doesn't give us that. I'd rather they give A Smith, who has heaps of speed and skill, a game, in his home state, in place of R Eddy. Or hopefully they'll give Tommy a game, after he kicks 8 today. :wink:
Zac will play if fit. Important for structure.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: If 2 goals in 10 minutes satifies you then you are easliy pleased. Also just one thing on Fisher playing FB. It completely cuts out his run. He had to play there this week but will not ply there if there is another option like Zac.
It seems to, but does it have to? It doesn't seem to stop Scarlett, or Brian Lake from getting a hell of a lot of it and providing great run.
As for Sam's effort, I'm obviously easily pleased as well, because I thought he did about as well as anyone would have at that time. Riewoldt was on fire like no-one I've seen for a while and the ball was going to him almost every minute, at that point. He may have kicked two in that time, but Sam did a great job in the other contests in that period. Better than just about, if not anyone else in the comp would have. And I just saw the replay and Sam moved onto him about 10 mins into the third and looked to still be on him about half way through the last, so he was probably on him for more like 40 minutes than 10. He may have been on him till Rhys went there in the last 3 or so minutes.
As for this week, we need to flexible and that may mean leaving Zac home. It's going to be a hell of a tough game to win and we don't want to be "top heavy" on the big ground. Especially when two of those "top heavy" guys are so out of form. Raph, Gilbo and Gwilt are providing great run, so Blake could get first crack at Pav, with Fisher to go there if that doesn't work. And Pav will probably spend a fair amount of time on the ball, too.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 05 Jun 2010 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
derby Street
Club Player

Firstly I think Lyon is going to give him every chance to re-discover his form as Zac is really our only "big" defensive option. Though with his reported weight loss he is not so big at present.

But if his form of last year does not return, what do we do?

Reading one of the Sandi threads there was a suggestion about playing Demspter as a key defender.I had similar thoughts while watching the game.

Dempster is an ok height, but lightly framed. He can however play on small, mediums and the right tall.

On the plus side he is versatile as can also be a run-with tagger if for example CJ is copping a hiding.

In terms of being key defender he may not in himself be that , but he would free Blake up to be.

A backline of say say:

Baker Blake Dempster
Gwilt Fisher Gilbert

...has a bit to like about it and is quite versatile. The two Sam's for run and attack....which the long-kicking of Gwilt and Dempster can add too.

Mr Utility BJ can drift back when required.

Now either of the two Sam's could play FB, but the main problem with that is we lose a lot of attacking drive in doing so.

Now Blake may not be the perfect FB, but he is very experienced, is an underrated spoiler and while not quick as ok pace and is an enormous runner. Potentially giving him the role keeps our two Sam's free.

MEANWHILE:

* In the background Jesse Smith is lurking and if he gains form and fines could well be a better option than Dempster.
* Geary continues to have his chance to improve and play as a second small defender.

Surely they must have been talking about Dempster for the Zebras
:roll: Heaven help us if they meant him for the Saints.
Zac rarely gets one ripped for him - still our best option for F.B as it allows us to play everyone in the position that best suits.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think people need to remember Zac still only has under 50 games under his belt ...people who compair him to seasoned veterans like Maxy and expect the same kind of results need to be mindfull of where Zac is in his footy life

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ace
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:His slump is so bad I bet he doesn't even get a kick tonight!! :roll:
Played a shocker, unseen all night.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA