cj in a bit of a flat spot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cj in a bit of a flat spot

he played superb football last year as a stopper. that is his main go.

perhaps he needs to be given a really tough assignment every week just to focus his mind ... and then the offensive stuff will come.

i don't think he's been awful. just not as influential as he was last season.

is our best tagger being tagged himself? opinions?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

THought he was pretty good last night. Got some really important touches in the 3rd quarter that got us back into the game. Obviously it's preferable for him to handpass rather than kick. Reckon he's been serviceable to good this year. No real stand out games though. Not sure who he was even on last night. Saw him running with Goodwin for awhile.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:THought he was pretty good last night. Got some really important touches in the 3rd quarter that got us back into the game. Obviously it's preferable for him to handpass rather than kick. Reckon he's been serviceable to good this year. No real stand out games though. Not sure who he was even on last night. Saw him running with Goodwin for awhile.
yes, like i said, he hasn't been awful by any stretch. just not as influential as last season and early this season.

i think he's an outstanding midfielder who is just in a bit of a flat spot and maybe needs to get back to what he does best ... stopping the opposition's best midfielder. then i think the offensive stuff will come.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:THought he was pretty good last night. Got some really important touches in the 3rd quarter that got us back into the game. Obviously it's preferable for him to handpass rather than kick. Reckon he's been serviceable to good this year. No real stand out games though. Not sure who he was even on last night. Saw him running with Goodwin for awhile.
yes, like i said, he hasn't been awful by any stretch. just not as influential as last season and early this season.

i think he's an outstanding midfielder who is just in a bit of a flat spot and maybe needs to get back to what he does best ... stopping the opposition's best midfielder. then i think the offensive stuff will come.
14 tackles against WC was pretty crucial in our comeback against them. Teams are aware of him now so he is also being tagged as well as tagging. Opposition teams are physically niggling him to put him off his game. He will overcome that with experience.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:14 tackles against WC was pretty crucial in our comeback against them. Teams are aware of him now so he is also being tagged as well as tagging. Opposition teams are physically niggling him to put him off his game. He will overcome that with experience.
it's funny, isn't it. no-one ever thinks of tagging ling when they play geelong.

that's because his primary role is as a stopper (at which he is exceptional) and his secondary one is offensive (where he is pretty handy, too).

i think that's also how to get the best out of cj.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He may be carrying an injury...

He may be carrying an injury...as he seems to be down a yard or two on pace. He has been marginal in his 'run down' tackling pressure and is getting run down himself.

His other issue for me is that his disposals at centre bounces are mostly from a stationary position. The opposition know he will handball and just shut down his targets, he needs to get his skates on to open up his targets and make his kicking more damaging.

His kicking from a stationary position usually go 30 metres up and 15 metres long so again the opposition are happy for him to kick.

Jonesy has to make a conscious decision to take off when he receives the ball.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Don't understand these posts. Think he's been outstanding and consistent this year, doing a great job, seems his disposals are smarter than last year and his hands seem more assured, unless anyone has any stats re his efficiency? Currently he's second in handballs and second in tackles and sixth in disposals for the team. Thought he was great last night. Clearly I'm a big fan.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Don't understand these posts. Think he's been outstanding and consistent this year, doing a great job, seems his disposals are smarter than last year and his hands seem more assured, unless anyone has any stats re his efficiency? Currently he's second in handballs and second in tackles and sixth in disposals for the team. Thought he was great last night. Clearly I'm a big fan.
i think you misunderstood what i was getting at in the OP. I am a big fan, also, but i think his best is better than what he has shown in the past month.

i regard him as one of our top 5 most important players and want to see him get back to his form of last season and early this season.

there is just a little spark missing and i wonder if it is because he's tagging less and attempting to create more.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'm a bit of a stats nerd and it's difficult to ascertain his effectiveness as a tagger unless you trawl back through the games and check the disposals of his opponents, which I don't know how to do. You can look at tackles a bit. But interesting to see his effective disposal % beats Lenny, Dal and Joey (he's on 71.8% which is a few better than those mentioned). For a mid this seems like a good percentage? He handballs (probably as directed) alot but so does Lenny.

God's is a bit of a freak sitting on nearly 80%. But he plays in back a bit.

As someone said, more I think about it, perhaps he needs a big scalp and a couple of goals to get back in the bests. Good challenge.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

CJ is very good at his craft and that is why 15 coaching panels spent some time over summer studying his work. Many of them have come up with strategies to restrict his effectiveness. I would suggest that CJ and our coaching staff have been working there way through this and have come up with some strategies of their own that aren't all that obvious just yet !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Like what? Tagging the blokes who are doing the tagging?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Like what? Tagging the blokes who are doing the tagging?
Or, taking an opposition tagger right out of the game. Sacrificing his game for the team !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

His last quarter last night was great.

rexy
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:His last quarter last night was great.
I think one of his strengths is his stamina, seems to keep on keeping on, right through the game. Hasnt taken a big scalp for a while. Mind you opp teams have done a good job of taking his man away from stoppages to free them up and get them a run at the contest, didnt notice a hard tag from him last night and thought he got plaenty of it offensively. Agree his ball use and decision making is greatly improved.

Maybe this year?