Lets be serious about Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Love Kosi,. will almost always stick up for him and DEARLY want him to be successful but it just isn't working at the moment.

i don't want to drop him because let's face it, who else do we have that can do his job that we KNOW will do better.

but I wish he could find an inkling of form.

As some others have stated, he just seems disinterested at the moment.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lets be serious about Kosi

plugger66 wrote:Last week at three quarter time we called Lenny best on the ground. I hate bagging one player but Kosi is just about worst again tonight.

What does the club do?
Drop him.

Skildir
Club Player

Thought he was ineffectual but really wish Saints fans would stop the ironic cheer when Kosi does finally take a mark / do something. If he is a confidence player like a lot of people say, having his own supporters take the mickey out of him probably isn't helping his confidence!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Skildir wrote:Thought he was ineffectual but really wish Saints fans would stop the ironic cheer when Kosi does finally take a mark / do something. If he is a confidence player like a lot of people say, having his own supporters take the mickey out of him probably isn't helping his confidence!
Agree completely. Makes you realise that for all the comments about opposition supporters and the way they carry on - saints supporters are no different at all. Can't bear watching any of our players ridiculed publicly. Ridicule them as a group if you must - but don't collectively turn on one of them. Embarassing.

Even Raph, for all the groans when he stuffs up (which is fair enough) I have never heard half the ground bronx cheer him when he handles the ball cleanly when he's having an off night. Leave that for the Collingwood supporters.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Skildir wrote:Thought he was ineffectual but really wish Saints fans would stop the ironic cheer when Kosi does finally take a mark / do something. If he is a confidence player like a lot of people say, having his own supporters take the mickey out of him probably isn't helping his confidence!
Although I know some supporters were giving the bronx cheer, some were cheering louder to try and get his confidence up , well all the ones around me were. We could see his confidence was shot and cheered louder for him, unlike the hero behind us who could only focus on the negatives.

At least Kosi will always get the best defender and last night that opened the door for others to kick goals.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

He takes the best defender each week & at times has 3 opposition players contesting the marking contest. Yes, he is down on form but dropping him isn't going to resolve that & there is no ready made replacement for him.

Before you all start saying bring in Tommy, have a serious think about it. The guy has played about 10 games of Aussie rules footy. In total, in his whole life & you're suggesting he would be a better fit than someone who has played over a 100 games at the highest level? Rhys Stanley hasn't set the world on fire in his 2 games in the seniors, how in hell is Tommy going to do it?

Leave Kosi where he is, the players aren't concerned & Ross obviously isn't concerned. Maybe, just maybe, he's doing exactly what he has been asked to do. :x

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I thought the cheer for Kosi sounded pretty supportive from where i was sitting. Might not have helped that he took the mark in front of a whole swag of Adelaide fans over on the 50m line on the Docks side

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
busso mick
Club Player

n1ck wrote:If I was coach, id probably rest Gardy (whos been fantastic so far this season) and play Kosi 1st ruck. Id tell him basically to run his arse off, from about the 30m mark from goal from end to end all night.

He needs to get his work ethic back up, because when hes constantly moving hes very dangerous. People seem to forget his best work is when he can move and run at or with the ball. He's not a conventional one-out, wrestling full forward.

He needs to work his butt off through the middle of the ground, to remember how to find his space in the forward half.

Gardy could either take his spot in the goalsquare, or we could give him the week off against Richmond, who really dont have a monster tall team...
Some good points there n1ck as it looks as though Kosi is not fit enough, even though he has played most games this year. He is a bit like a horse who is carrying some condition and needs to be worked hard to get in to shape. His second efforts look poor as I don't feel he is fit enough, maybe he has a niggle that restricts his training.

Getting him into the game as a "follower" would be one way of getting the feel of the game again. Unfortunately as we don't have may other options for key forward while Roo is out this is unlikely. A rotation system with him and McEvoy in the ruck through the forward area is another option. He looks like he is not enjoying his footy at the moment, maybe a run around the park chasing a few kicks like the juniors do could rejuvenate him.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote: I thought you were at the ground. I was, and live it looked like he was at least presenting, and making contests - Rutten's a decent FB if he was on him most of the nite
I better watch the replay......

Anyway I reckon there's no way in the world they would tip Kosi out.... :shock:
I was at the game too MCG. Got to say I thought it was just about the worst game I have ever seen Kosi play. His effort in the ?1st quarter when he picked up the ball around 55 out then kicked a behind from just inside 50 was indicative of the lack of confidence. He could easily have run on another 10m but seemed to be worried that he would get run down or not have the skill to handball off to another player.

He is incredibly low on confidence, and like others suggest, I don't think he will be dropped as I can't see that there is any other Tall forward option. But I'm buggered if I know what can be done to help him turn this slump around.
Yes Kosi's down that's for sure, as I said in an earlier post, with Riewoldt out, he gets the best defender and generally another playing dropping back
Maybe they could have started him in the ruck to get him into the game :shock:

Statistically he had roughly the same output as Stanley (only a 2nd gamer, I know) yet it's the expectation placed upon Kosi that makes him marked much harder

There are no other realistic options for the tall KPF role

Stand your ground :shock:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is seriously out of form and confidence.

I don't think he has ever really beena 4 quarter player and has always been prone to drifting out of the game. But last night was one of his worst after a pretty ordinary year in general.

Kosi's other problem is that the game has evolved awy from what he is best at...the contested pack mark. Can you select palyer for an instance that might only now occur several times a game? Once the ball hits the ground Kosi is a liabilty.

N1ck has some good points...but you need to be careful about not direspecting your opposition.

Dropping Kosi might be the best thing for him. He needs a game or two of bagful of marks.

Aginst this the options are a bit thin at present.

While Tigers are not too much a worry. Our run of games after that are:

Freo
Cats
Lions
Pies
Hawks
Now some where in the latter part Roo may re-emerge. But in those other games we really need a sold contrubution from Kosi.

So IMO now is the time to act.

While N!ck does makea good case...do we really want to impare Ben's development here and no? Growing Ben into a better play is for me a priorty for sept success.

Against dropping Kosi, the cupboard is quite thin for alternative options.

1/ Play a smallish forward line for the Tigers game with maybe Heyne in. This puts a lot of load on the inexperienced Stanley. However Ben and Gardi can be rotated forward rather than benched.

2/ Bring in Patto. form maybe not the best, but at present is likely to contribute more than Kosi. His one senior appearance while not fash was ok. Would give you a big mature body to go with stanley and keep preferred forward structures.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I have backed him as you can see by my signature but every week we seem to be waiting for that performance.

Ultimately you want to forward to provide a target, take a couple of marks inside 50, provide a bit of crumb, hold the ball in the 50 with second efforts and kick a couple of goals.

I can't see Kosi doing any of those things. He caused confusion for other forwards, he spoilt his own player taking an uncontested mark, he just didn't come up the ground enough when the half backs needed a link man up the ground, he is just not performing. With Roo out, he should be thriving with the responsibility of being a leader. He's not 21 anymore. Look at BJ, Lenny, Dal and Joey. They are showing leadership. Milney was superb last night and his work rate is terrific, he wants to kick a goal. Heck, Schneider and McQualter played well. Stanley is showing more initiative after a handful of games.

I do confess to yelling at him last night, and no I wasn't drunk Snoopygirl or even drinking (I know I accidentally spilt my brother's beer on the little boy).
I do apologise for losing it and yelling at Kosi but it is the look on his face. I put the binoculars on him and he looks depressed.

I am loath to drop him (even thought I posted that earlier) mainly because of plugger's rationale of keeping the structure right and the hope that he does fire. He did take Rutten last night which was good.

All I can say is that as per my amended signature, time is running out for him. We all want him to do well.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:2/ Bring in Patto. form maybe not the best, but at present is likely to contribute more than Kosi. His one senior appearance while not fash was ok. Would give you a big mature body to go with stanley and keep preferred forward structures.
I watched Patto in the VFL yesterday. With respect to that point, if anyone is worse than Kosi, it's him. The commentators had a field day with his disposal yesterday against North Ballarat.

There is a challenge for the coaching staff. Interestingly, Tommy Walsh played a very good game for Sandy.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Sun 30 May 2010 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Interestingly, Tommy Smith played a very good game for Sandy.
Did you mean Walsh?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:Interestingly, Tommy Smith played a very good game for Sandy.
Did you mean Walsh?
Oops yes, not the horse trainer. Tommy Walsh. :oops: Re-edited post.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
I watched Patto in the VFL yesterday. With respect to that point, if anyone is worse than Kosi, it's him. The commentators had a field day with his disposal yesterday against North Ballarat.

At least he was getting disposals!!! :idea:
But yes he was butchering his hanballs.

However my main point is that I think it is worth dropping Kosi now to try and jolt him back into ok form. otherwise he may get dropped anyway in time. This week is a good week to do it as the Tigers defeners are not the best (which can also be an argument to keep Kosi hoping he will click against them).

If you want to keep a structure with 2 tall forwards there are not a lot of options. our 3 smalls work better IMO when there are 2 talls down there as well.

Tigers is also Patto's old team and so he would be keen do well against them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote: Interestingly, Tommy Walsh played a very good game for Sandy.
As I posted in the Sandi thread I thought TW showed great signs for the future. He looks like he will be a player once he learns to read the play better, and once he learns when and where to run to better.

However apart from intraclub it was his first game as forward and he played like it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If you want to keep a structure with 2 tall forwards there are not a lot of options. our 3 smalls work better IMO when there are 2 talls down there as well

i still think goddard at ff. he can bring the smalls into the game with equal if not greater effectiveness than kosi because he is just a really smart footballer.

i thought his mark and goal was the real game-breaker last night.

give kosi a spell at sandringham in the ruck ... and then bring him back as a ruckman (depending on the form/fitness of gardy and mcevoy).

Four ruckman is possibly one too many (though Stanley being so quick and mobile hardly qualifies as a ruckman).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:However apart from intraclub it was his first game as forward and he played like it.
he had a few shots at goal and kicked a couple didn't he? i read 2 goals and 3 behinds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
If you want to keep a structure with 2 tall forwards there are not a lot of options. our 3 smalls work better IMO when there are 2 talls down there as well

i still think goddard at ff. he can bring the smalls into the game with equal if not greater effectiveness than kosi because he is just a really smart footballer.

i thought his mark and goal was the real game-breaker last night.

give kosi a spell at sandringham in the ruck ... and then bring him back as a ruckman (depending on the form/fitness of gardy and mcevoy).

Four ruckman is possibly one too many (though Stanley being so quick and mobile hardly qualifies as a ruckman).
BJ will never play FF so you need to come up with another option. Kosi will never ruck so he either plays FF or doesnt play.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Center. Half. Back.

Give him a job down there. He will dictate the game from one of the most underrated positions on the ground.

I personally have never liked the super tall FF. Ruckmen/blokes over 196cm can dominate from time to time from the square - But rarely do it consistently.

Full Forwards need to be strong leaders to the ball IMO.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote: Interestingly, Tommy Walsh played a very good game for Sandy.
As I posted in the Sandi thread I thought TW showed great signs for the future. He looks like he will be a player once he learns to read the play better, and once he learns when and where to run to better.

However apart from intraclub it was his first game as forward and he played like it.
Yep, true sRr. Wouldn't be saying pick him but just observing that it's good to see that he moves well. He can take a mark. Solid build. Was pretty gusty at Sandy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:BJ will never play FF so you need to come up with another option. Kosi will never ruck so he either plays FF or doesnt play.
BJ's the best goal-kicking key forward option we have in riewoldt's absence. Name one who is better.

He kicked five in a half against Fremantle, comparable to Kosi's output for the season. I thought his stint forward last night really got us going.

Kosi can ruck and will later in the season.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 30 May 2010 1:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:BJ will never play FF so you need to come up with another option. Kosi will never ruck so he either plays FF or doesnt play.
BJ's the best goal-kicking key forward option we have in riewoldt's absence. Name one who is better.

kicked five in a half against fremantle, comparable to kosi's output for the season. i thought his stint forward last night really got us going.

That is all good but RL has shown it isnt going to happen so what are the other options for those 2 players.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

He kicked five in a half against Fremantle, comparable to Kosi's output for the season. I thought his stint forward last night really got us going.

Our midfield is not strong enough to have BJ in the forward line.

Not even close to strong enough.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

kicked five in a half against fremantle, comparable to kosi's output for the season. i thought his stint forward last night really got us going.

That is all good but RL has shown it isnt going to happen so what are the other options for those 2 players.
i'm glad you agree with me.

ross has shown himself to be flexible in the past and i would expect him to go with whatever works. he's not a moron.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 30 May 2010 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.