Robert Eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy

It seems quite a few posters have been disappointed with his inclusion however I think he is worth perservering with

Going back on some of Eddy's achievements as a junior he was an elite ball winner averaging 27 possessions for the Gippsland Power during his TAC year and was selected in the All Australian team

He has got fantastic endurance, his tackling pressure is a highlight, his willingness to work hard is well documented and going by the Port game his skills have looked to improved.

Given he is only 22 and he has only played 24 AFL games does anyone see him in the mould of a Michael Barlow - he has put some fairly good games together for Sandringham and maybe he is not too far from stepping up a notch

Would be interested to see how he goes playing as a pure midfielder upside Lenny Dal and Monty for a length of time ie: 6-8 games in a row

A lot of players take time to come to grips with the pace of the game but once they do they break out and flourish. Hopefully we saw this with McEvoy last sunday

So instead of bagging him out, lets get behind Rob and encourage him as who knows what might happen down the track

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I don't think people have a problem with Eddy just to us from the outside there are players that seem to have a much better upside and offer the side more than Eddy does

btw I now think Ross is spreading the game around deliberately to give these huys some experience.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Thu 27 May 2010 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

derby Street
Club Player

Re: Robert Eddy

Devilhead wrote:It seems quite a few posters have been disappointed with his inclusion however I think he is worth perservering with

Going back on some of Eddy's achievements as a junior he was an elite ball winner averaging 27 possessions for the Gippsland Power during his TAC year and was selected in the All Australian team

He has got fantastic endurance, his tackling pressure is a highlight, his willingness to work hard is well documented and going by the Port game his skills have looked to improved.

Given he is only 22 and he has only played 24 AFL games does anyone see him in the mould of a Michael Barlow - he has put some fairly good games together for Sandringham and maybe he is not too far from stepping up a notch

Would be interested to see how he goes playing as a pure midfielder upside Lenny Dal and Monty for a length of time ie: 6-8 games in a row

A lot of players take time to come to grips with the pace of the game but once they do they break out and flourish. Hopefully we saw this with McEvoy last sunday

So instead of bagging him out, lets get behind Rob and encourage him as who knows what might happen down the track
Not sure why Eddy should be given the luxury of 6-8 games in a row - if Ross is consistent and fair he should be treated like Armitage, Steven, Geary If he plays well he stays in - if not back to Sandy. Let's hope he can take his opportunity. Someone stated his kicking has improved - let's hope so and that he also manages to find the footy.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:It seems quite a few posters have been disappointed with his inclusion however I think he is worth perservering with

good sensible post.... :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junior
Club Player

Agree with what you are saying, but I still have a query on his skills and pace.

Believe others have more upside, but I would never question his effort as he has a red hot go.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Not sure why Eddy should be given the luxury of 6-8 games in a row
I'm not saying he should i just remarked that I would be interested to see how he went - some players take time to adjust - I think if given an elongated period of time in the senior league as a pure midfielder we might see Eddy break out
derby Street wrote:if Ross is consistent and fair he should be treated like Armitage, Steven, Geary If he plays well he stays in - if not back to Sandy.
I agree however unfortunately these guys when elevated hardly ever get to play in their true positions (pure midfielders) for them get to get a real chance they would need one or two of either Lenny, Dal, Monty or Jones to go down - these guys are being played out of their natural positions everytime they come into the side (except Armitage but I guess he has had a few things on his mind recently hence maybe his poor form)
derby Street wrote:Let's hope he can take his opportunity. Someone stated his kicking has improved - let's hope so and that he also manages to find the footy.
Yes lets get behind him

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Eddy just has nothing that makes him damaging. He'll never be the reason we lose, but doesn't do a whole lot towards helping us win either. There are plenty of players who can run all day and pressure but ultimately you need more from a player.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Would be a very nice player if he could kick, or have goal smarts. He can create turnovers from the opposition, however if it ends up in his hands he butchers it

Bring back the Lockett era
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

good sensible post.... :lol:
If I'm being honest I'm not a huge fan of Eddy and I see more potential in the likes of Steven, Armo & Geary.

Having said that, Eddy is the one who gets his chance this week and I for one wish him nothing but the best.

It's up to him to make the most of this opportunity. :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eddy had 15 disposals against Port, 5 tackles, played a part in a goal, had an inside 50....it was a low scoring game (STK 44) so not too bad all things considered.

They maybe want him for his pressure game?
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 28 May 2010 12:56am, edited 1 time in total.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Eddy just has nothing that makes him damaging. He'll never be the reason we lose, but doesn't do a whole lot towards helping us win either. There are plenty of players who can run all day and pressure but ultimately you need more from a player.
At the moment I wouldn't mind him in the team, but not when we have a struggling Mini as well.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Eddy had 15 disposals against Port, 5 tackles, played a part in a goal, had an inside 50....it was a low scoring game, so not too bad all things considered.

They maybe want him for his pressure game?

Probably right, however to my way of thinking he's a bit too McQualter like.

And I don't particularly want 2 McQualters in the team - not even if it's the 2009 version. :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I will probably get blasted for this but I actually thought McQualter started to show a bit last sunday - not a whole heap of possessions but 5 tackles and a couple of goal assists, 100% efficiency rating - Again another player being played out of his natural position

Obviously whatever role Lyon has McQ playing he must be doing something right to keep his spot - not every player can accumulate 20 + possessions during a game and McQ in his current role probably does not allow him to

Yes he might be in a mini slump (pardon the pun) but the whole team has been - he like the rest of the team may be struggling due to Roo's exclusion

This year he has averaged 14 disposals, 4 marks and 4 tackles per game in a forward position - less than a month ago against the Bulldogs he had a career high 22 disposals and 9 marks - however there is no denying his goal output has been down from last season (a sticking point with most people here)

roxanne
Club Player

Thanks for this post Devilhead. I am a Robert Eddy fan and you've given me more ammunition. I agree his kicking can be a problem but he's not Robinson Crusoe in our team! He does a lot of hard stuff that doesn't seem to get noticed by too many. I also agree Mini is coming good - players need time to turn their form around - look at Farren Ray over the last couple of weeks, back to his best.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy has a bit of Blake about him. He can play multiple roles and is a bit more flexible than Armo or Steven. He can play as an extra defender, forward or mid. He needs more games but he will be handy if he can get back to last seasons form.

DWOODROW
Club Player

He had an injury at the start of the year and has worked hard to get back to the required fitness level. I think Eddy is going to have a good game this weekend. He certainly has been champing at the bit to get back into the team and i reckon he is going to do all he can to stay there.
If he does what Lyon asks of him I think he will be there for a while.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think everyone can see Eddy's work ethic and total application - he's at it all day you'd be blind not to and it doesn't go unappreciated.

But we can't ignore our team balance and lessons learnt against the Blues and the Dons - we need more pace - that's what we should always aim to bring in - at every occasion.

We also needed a quick medium sized goal kicker for the last 15 years - but that's another matter... as long as we look for what's missing with team balance in mind and don't ignore the lessons learnt , we should be right.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I think he's a solid inclusion. He'll get a couple of games against Adelaide and Richmond, and his run and tackling is good enough to help with forward pressure.

It's interesting where he's at: at 22, with 24 games under his belt, many have given up on him - and I'll certainly admit that while I love the way he goes about it, I'm not a big fan. He's capable of either playing a HFF-forward pocket role a la McQualter (Mini uses it much better), or a defensive midfield role.

I suspect some of this selection is probably about giving hima chance to get a couple of games - a la Heyne and Steven (though he's not as Vogue as those 2, not being a touted prospect), but in reality he does add some flexibility to the side. It allows Lyon to move some players around - I'm specifically thinking of Ray (who's played some defensive roles this year) or Schneider (whose been showing some form) possibly getting a chance as a true midfielder.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think RL has cetain roles for players to carry out, and maybe those who have been dropped just haven't done as required. Eddy is a workhorse type of player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This was a SPACE to but robert eddy was 'ere. and the space has been BLOCKED.

So move on camry crow. Look for another space! this one is taken.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Robert Eddy has a bit of Blake about him. He can play multiple roles and is a bit more flexible than Armo or Steven. He can play as an extra defender, forward or mid. He needs more games but he will be handy if he can get back to last seasons form.
i agree
he gets given a task to do each game ... now the the average footy fan watching the game we might not see what that task is but the coaching staff sure do and he obviously fufills that task to a reasonable level hence why he keeps getting games .... honestly RL will know what he expects from whom what would seem like a fair game by one player might be doing the exact opersite of RL's instructions hence them being in and out of the side where as what seems like a player is not performing in our eyes might be following the instructions given to him perfectly hence he continues to be picked

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Fidelis
Club Player

I must admit I didn't understand what the coaches saw in Eddy until I watched a game from high on the wing at the G last year.

From there I was amazed at what an important role he played in the structures we used.

When we took possession, Eddy would bolt wide to the boundary line, dragging a defender away from the contest zone and opening up space. He is such a good athlete that he often had a yard or two on his opponent but was rarely used as an option unless his opposite number chose not to go with him.

When we lost possession, Eddy would be the player covering the bolter; an opposition player who spread wide to give a quick rebounding option. He was so effective in covering his player that he was rarely in the contest.

Got very few possessions and didn't use them particularly well but did play a critical role; one that many (including a recent Magpies recruit) didn't have the engine to fill.

I've had a new appreciation since and think that if his skills can develop to the point where his team mates have the confidence to use him, he may well bcome more prolific.

Faithful Even Unto Death
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just a good ordinary...at best.

Can play a bit, not a talent....I would like to see a kid with more talent in, even if he may not be as solid as Eddy and guarantee 15pos and 4t....

but may have a break out game, and take it to a level Rob will not get to...

Armo, Heyne, Steven, Geary, Smith - all better talents...Rob on par with them or even slightly better...but will always just be a GOP....one or two of those may end up stars...

ie/ Joey....did anyon think he was going to be a star in 2003...

Zippy
Club Player

BigMart wrote: ie/ Joey....did anyon think he was going to be a star in 2003...
I think Savatage and Solar had him picked for a brownlow since his first preseason game.

But I agree about the kids still being potential stars. I still have huge hopes for Jack Steven. And I like eddy & Armo a lot

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hmm..

I think that Ed has the potential to be more than a good ordinary.

Just my opinion, but like a few of our youngsters, he needs to take another step. As said above, his intensity and from all reports his application and prep are top notch.

We really need a couple of these guys to step up. We have a heap of potentials at the moment.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....