should saintsational have a media policy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

should saintsational have a media policy

I understand that posting information on the internet means that it can be read by ayone but perhaps it's time to create a media policy to stop the media from using our posts as conon fodder for their articles.

Perhaps something as simple as question on the intro page saying

"upon entering this site I state that I shall not re-produce any user content from saintsational in paid media without the permission of the site and user"..... or something similar. They have to say yes to enter the site. I would be happy to press yes to make this happen?

Just believe that people might not like their comments printed out of context or to a certain audience.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I like it!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
shmic_s
Club Player

I would support it.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Good idea.... but if they are of the ilk that they publish our stuff, it won't make any difference.

Unless you can get some wording off Stinger and get his agreement to act pro bono for us.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a plan. :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed.......

saint1974
Club Player

Re: should saintsational have a media policy

Solar wrote:I understand that posting information on the internet means that it can be read by ayone but perhaps it's time to create a media policy to stop the media from using our posts as conon fodder for their articles.

Perhaps something as simple as question on the intro page saying

"upon entering this site I state that I shall not re-produce any user content from saintsational in paid media without the permission of the site and user"..... or something similar. They have to say yes to enter the site. I would be happy to press yes to make this happen?

Just believe that people might not like their comments printed out of context or to a certain audience.
+1
Did not post on the issue for this very reason!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Great idea if it can be enforeced, but I have a feeling that not much would stop snakes like hutchy and robbo

I love this club
markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, then if we ever took any sort of action against them, they could just wait for someone here to illegally re-quote an article from their paper and sue the joint into the dust.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think so/ It is a public forum. Anyone can got onto another persons facebook page so I dont see why this is different. And yes I know somethings can be private on facebook.

I must say I dont see what is wrong with papers using quotes from a site like this.

Can I ask why does it worry anyone afterall anyone can get on this site to see them anyway.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its misquoting i think peeps might have a prob with

i mean a journo can cut n paste??....surely :?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I want to be quoted....it could be that 'foot in the door' opening I've been waiting for. A simple SS quote might lead to an appearance on dancing with the stars or something similar

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I want to be quoted....it could be that 'foot in the door' opening I've been waiting for. A simple SS quote might lead to an appearance on dancing with the stars or something similar
:lol:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think so/ It is a public forum. Anyone can got onto another persons facebook page so I dont see why this is different. And yes I know somethings can be private on facebook.

I must say I dont see what is wrong with papers using quotes from a site like this.

Can I ask why does it worry anyone afterall anyone can get on this site to see them anyway.

You don't see any problem with it plug because the media probably wouldn't quote you.

If they did the readers would all probably fall asle......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont think so/ It is a public forum. Anyone can got onto another persons facebook page so I dont see why this is different. And yes I know somethings can be private on facebook.

You don't see any problem with it plug because the media probably wouldn't quote you.

If they did the readers would all probably fall asle......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The media already quoted plugger yesterday, remember plugger is Adrian Anderson :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Thanks for those kind words but I have already been quoted quite a few times using my real name unlike some here who dont wanted to be quoted using nics.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Thanks for those kind words but I have already been quoted quite a few times using my real name unlike some here who dont wanted to be quoted using nics.
Sir, how dare you imply this is not my real name! :shock:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if youre on here as a poster with a username then your real name is known.

quote away all ya like...just dont say something i didnt say by changing the words around
its quite simple really

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:if youre on here as a poster with a username then your real name is known.

quote away all ya like...just dont say something i didnt say by changing the words around
its quite simple really
I dont understand your first line? Who am I ? I would like to know.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Great idea if it can be enforeced, but I have a feeling that not much would stop snakes like hutchy and robbo
besides, what will happen, if they say yes, and still post in the media.

we can't do anything about it, if they lie can we?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I think as long as the source (poster) is stated in the quote, it is open slather. We are just another form of media but we don't put our names to our posts here and are anonymous for all intents and purposes. Different to Facebook where people can access our name and personal details if necessary. Fine line though.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I want to be quoted....it could be that 'foot in the door' opening I've been waiting for. A simple SS quote might lead to an appearance on dancing with the stars or something similar
Love it, ambitious but courageous :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ohh ffs :roll:

if it turned into a legal battle over a comment you think you could hide behind a username???

unless you post in a cafe in the back streets of greenland on tuesdays only, then you might have a very slim chance of hiding.

the friggin defense dept/gov gave us the net

it aint called the INTER-NET for nuthin

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

It's common in forum to have some Ts and Cs in the user account signup - but barring reuse and reproduction and implying ownership of information might put an onus on the site to more diligently moderate that information.

On one hand, the reality is likely that it would have no impact whatsoever - case in point being yesterdays story. If Little onus is on true media, difficult to put it on a public site.

Typically where I've seen these discussions in the past though, the consensus from those who can talk to the legals knowingly instead of paraphrasing like I'm doing has been that there's far more benefit than detriment in being part of the public domain.

Personally, I'm I was more amused than otherwise by the age quoting this site and bigfooty during yesterdays hubbub... but I suppose that's easy to say when I wasn't being quoted.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St Michele
Club Player

I posted on this site for other members to read. I did not post for it to be used in a formal publication (I would have put references etc for that) I am contemplating writing to the editor of the Age as feel it was unethical but in reality they don't care they have people looking and reading that is all they care about.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!