The one man team line irks me!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

The one man team line irks me!

I was reading an article in the Herald-Sun regarding the progress of Nick Reiwoldt and how well his recovery is going. What irked me was when I read some of the readers comments and several people put comments like we need Rooey because we are no good without him and we are a one man team Yada Yada Yada.
This annoys me because we lost Rooey before halftime in the game against Collingwood and still beat them, then we backed it up beating Fremantle. These two wins were against sides regarded as top 4 this year. I know we were poor against Port Adelaide and Carlton, but all sides have a bad loss every now and again.
We have also beaten the bulldogs who are regarded as another top 4 team and west coast in perth, which is never easy, all without Reiwoldt. We will probably win the next two games and be 8 and 3 with Rooey effectively only playing in two of those games, if you consider he was ineffective against collingwood because of his injury.
If you look at Carlscum without Judd at the start of the year they were useless, they would not be 8 and 3 if Judd was out for the time Reiwoldt has been, I would also like to see Geelong without Ablett for an extended period?
This will make us a better team and I think we will realise that we are still a decent team without Rooey and when he comes back and gets a bt of form, I think we will be a formidable team come finals!

Carn the mighty sainters! Stick it up em!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The one man team line irks me!

well i reckon the jury is still out on that one.

the challenge is there for our guys to show they are good enough to win without him.

the biggest concern is our inability to consistently kick winning scores/apply scoreboard pressure/mark inside 50, etc ... in other words to match all the qualities rooey brings to the team.

i think we have the players. it's just a matter of getting some real class closer to the goals.

i hope we are within striking distance of the top 4 when the skipper returns. he sure as hell deserves that ... and a whole lot more.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 26 May 2010 10:22pm, edited 3 times in total.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

What I find more interesting is that in all the losses, Gram was missing or clearly not right. Maybe we are a one man team and Gram is the one we miss..??

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:What I find more interesting is that in all the losses, Gram was missing or clearly not right. Maybe we are a one man team and Gram is the one we miss..??
agree that gram is an overlooked factor. very important player to us and one we need to get right for september ... if we are going to figure in it.

linz
Club Player

There's no doubt we are not as good without him.

Having said that we will be EVEN BETTER when he comes back (than we would've been had he missed no games) on the assumption he's fully fit.

More avenues to goal discovered.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:More avenues to goal discovered.
such as?

nah, i hear what you are saying. let's hope that we can turn a negative into a positive for later in the season.

saint3d
Club Player

I have a solution. It is a two step process.

1. Think about the mental capacity of the average person to post comments on a Herald Sun article. Genuinely give it a minute's consideration.

2. Stop reading the comments for reasons you discovered in step 1.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I hope it irks the players

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

We definitely don't look as imposing a team without Roo but the record speaks for itself.

We have effectively beaten 3 of the top 4 sides without the blonde bloke and we are still only game off top spot.

We still have a lot to be excited about.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:I have a solution. It is a two step process.

1. Think about the mental capacity of the average person to post comments on a Herald Sun article. Genuinely give it a minute's consideration.

2. Stop reading the comments for reasons you discovered in step 1.
Oh, I like the way you think! :lol: :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:We definitely don't look as imposing a team without Roo but the record speaks for itself.
we've lost three of our last five.

i don't want to be a wet blanket but i'm not getting too carried away with last week until we can consistently kick winning scores.