Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch

When is he due back?

What do people think of him?

Is he an AFL prospect and if so who is he most like?
What are his strenghts and weaknesses (bearing in mind he is still only a kid and will get much stronger)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think he will be back this week as will be Winmar for his first game. Dempster and McGrath are a chance as well.

Lynch looked good to me last year but has struggled through injury this year.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Showed a bit of class in the Nab cup. Good hands and a natural forward.

Should have a bright future, but really needs to string some games together to have any chance of cracking the firsts this year.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

more a midfield type forward in the o'keefe mould. Very clever in close and good skills. Question mark over contested marks and pace IMO

Looking forward to seeing him back this week.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
shmic_s
Club Player

Saw a bit of him last year at Sandy, and liked what i saw in the NAB cup this year.
A natural footballer, reads the game well, good hands. Should/hopefully make the grade.
A bit like Robert Murphy, with a bigger body. Could be anything thou from a key forward, Pavlich type or lead up O'Keefe style forward.
EDIT: Lets hope he plays this week for Sandy. Game will be televised on ABC for those who cant get down there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ok thanks guys. ill take an o'keefe anyday. and hes half as good as pav ill be rapt.

question mark over pace? sounds like a saints player then :-)

lets hope he strings some games together.

hes only 19.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure we need to worry about his pace. He may look kind of slow, due to his body type/shape, but from memory he did very well in the sprints, etc, at the draft camp, which was especially impressive given his height and size. I think he was one of the fastest over 10m, or 20m, or whatever it was, which you probably wouldn't think from looking at him.
Apparently he's also got great character (was captain of Vic Metro, in the U18 Championships) and is a "natural footballer". To me he's very similar to a Steve Johnson, just without all the "mercurialism". Reads the play well and does smart things. Foot skills are apparently middle of the road- not great not bad, but that pass he did in the NAB Cup was exceptional, so he may have improved his kicking, or that one may have been a "fluke".
Being a first round draft pick and from what I've seen so far, I'd be disappointed if he didn't play 180+ games for us, maybe as captain, down the road.
We knew we needed a "lead up forward"/3rd forward, which is apparently the main reason we went for him. Someone to play the Aaron Hamill, Ryan O'Keefe, Steve Johnson, Robert Murphy, Sean Dempster (ha, ha!) type role.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 25 May 2010 5:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Not sure we need to worry about his pace. He may look kind of slow, due to his body type/shape, but from memory he did very well in the sprints, etc, at the draft camp, which was especially impressive, given his height and size. I think he was one of the fastest over 10m, or 20m, or whatever it was, which you probably wouldn't think, from looking at him.
Apparently he's also got great character (was captain of Vic Metro, in the U18 Championships) and is a "natural footballer". To me he's very similar to a Steve Johnson, just without all the "mercurialism". Reads the play well and does smart things. Foot skills are apparently middle of the road- not great not bad, but that pass he did in the NAB Cup was exceptional, so he may have improved his kicking, or that one may have been a "fluke". Being a first round draft pick and from what I've seen so far, I'd be disappointed if he didn't play 180+ games for us.
interesting if he did do well in the sprints because he does not look like he is fast when he has the ball. Its important to note that the times I have seen him he has been working in packs. Looks like a smarter player then heyne but does the basics right (hence why I would lean more towards a o'keefe type). Needs to get his fitness up to be able to play the running half forward job (basically an extra midfielder) in the current AFL.

Also has alot of leadership ability, seems to control the play around his area.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Just had a look at the 2008 draft camp results and it was the beep test where he was in the top 10 (equal 6th).
Heyne was equal 7th for the 20m sprint, but Tom wasn't named in the top 12, so maybe his sprints weren't that good. His beep test results are a good sign, though.

saint58
Club Player

Re: Tom Lynch

Con Gorozidis wrote:When is he due back?

What do people think of him?

Is he an AFL prospect and if so who is he most like?
What are his strenghts and weaknesses (bearing in mind he is still only a kid and will get much stronger)
Well bluey is a good kid has a good pair of hands and is not a bad kick goes in hard for the ball.
But i havent seen much of him but liked what i saw.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Just had a look at the 2008 draft camp results and it was the beep test where he was in the top 10 (equal 6th).
Heyne was equal 7th for the 20m sprint, but Tom wasn't named in the top 12, so maybe his sprints weren't that good. His beep test results are a good sign, though.
You wouldn't be able to find Roo's beep test results would you?
I'm curious to know how he tested in comparison to becoming the most athletic KPP in the AFL?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That one is proving tough to find. This looked promising, but the link they added isn't working, so there's just what they said in general about Roo and Kosi:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/i ... 54477.html

And here's what was said about BJ, in 2002:
Round 1 1 St Kilda BRENDON GODDARD GIPPSLAND POWER 20/05/1985 189cm 82kg
Inside player who can play midfield, back or forward. Strong overhead, reads play well & excellent kick to position. Won Sheehan Medal in AFL U16’s in 2001 & member AIS/AFL Academy 2001/2002 where he captained the Aust U17 team against Ireland in one of the International Rules tests. All Aust in AFL U18’s in 2002. From Traralgon FC & Caulfield Grammar. Is an excellent all round athlete with his speed (2.96sec for 20 metres) impressive at the National AFL Draft camp.
Goodard barracked for Carlton as a kid, and was Blues bound until Carlton was stripped of the first selection.

And this one makes for some interesting reading, from the "super-draft":
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... draft+camp

And how about Steven Gaertner's results in this one! 10th in the agility, equal 6th for vertical leap and 2nd for the 20m sprint:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/archive/i ... 83836.html

derby Street
Club Player

Love to see Tommy string some games together - I believe that is what he needs to get to the next level. This year has been a tough injury wise for him.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

What do they do for the beep test?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
groupie1
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:What do they do for the beep test?
Sit in a corner in a box-shape and make high-pitched noises.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

millarsaint wrote:What do they do for the beep test?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Just had a look at the 2008 draft camp results and it was the beep test where he was in the top 10 (equal 6th).
i like heyne a lot. reckon hes the best of our kids.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We have never seen Winmar yet, have we?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
i like heyne a lot. reckon hes the best of our kids.
There's a lot to like. I just hope he has the application/drive, etc. If he does, we could be in for some fun, with he and Tom Lynch on the flanks and Tommy Walsh and Rhys also up there, or wherever they fit in.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I know the official injury list gets filed in the fiction section, but yesterday's listed him as a week away - anyone know if this is accurate - would love to see Lynch on the paddock for Sandy this week.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Tom has had a bad run with injuries so far this year.

He would have been ready to play last week except Sandy had the bye due to the VFL/WAFL game. He is absolutely raring to go and jumping out of his skin to get a chance in the forward line.

Because he had a broken hand his base fitness is excellent, he just may need a few weeks to get match fit.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Tom has had a bad run with injuries so far this year.

He would have been ready to play last week except Sandy had the bye due to the VFL/WAFL game. He is absolutely raring to go and jumping out of his skin to get a chance in the forward line.

Because he had a broken hand his base fitness is excellent, he just may need a few weeks to get match fit.
that sounds very definitive - thanks. And - source ??

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

True Believer wrote:

Tom told me.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Tom told me.
OK thanks - it doesn't get anymore reliable than the horses mouth - Gippsland boy isn't he?

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
Selhurst Saint wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Tom told me.

OK thanks - it doesn't get anymore reliable than the horses mouth - Gippsland boy isn't he?
Yeah, I would hate to think Tom was telling me fibs. Tom grew up in Sandy and was/is best mates with Jack Watts. He is a very mature young bloke and a thorough gentleman, I really hope he makes the grade.