Post Your Apologies to Raph Clarke here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Straight after the game on SEN some d**khead rang in to ask how Raph gets a game. Stupid people with loud voices make the rest of our supporters look dumb. Why after the best game he has played would you ring in to complain especially after a win?
I think if you read closely enough you will find that you have already answered your own question :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will never apologise.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I will never apologise.
that is because you've never been wrong ... not even once. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
I was once but it was so long ago I cant remember what it was.

loris
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Looks to play his best footy on the wider grounds, MCG and Subiaco.
Spot on "dcstkfc" that's always been my thoughts......plays Subi very well. Only need to refer back to last seasons match how he read the play across h/back line, first kept us in the game, then was the one who had the run in his legs to run the lines and start attacking moves......and his efforts at the "G" have been similar.

To me he seems to get locked in at times on the smaller grounds, then can tend to second guess himself and turn the ball over.

Great effort Raph...... I'm glad I only get to see the best of him at Subi :P and when I get to the MCG finals time, so I mainly see his better games and can see the talent he has on the wider grounds.

Keep it up Raph after all it's the game at the "G" in the last Sat in Sept we want your skills on show

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:best game of the year for Ralph, he's had games like this before it's now up to Ralph to do this week in week out not every 10 weeks.
Exactly. I was wrapt for him (and us), today, but he now needs to play like that consistently.
The fact that we can name the games in recent years when he played like that (the 2008 final against Collingwood and the end of the 2009 Prelim), just goes to show how rarely he's played as well as we know he can play, in recent years.
If you can play that well, but only do it once or twice a year, then I think you ought to expect to have folks on your back to produce.
Here's hoping we see a lot, lot more of the Raph we saw yesterday.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Looks to play his best footy on the wider grounds, MCG and Subiaco.
Spot on "dcstkfc" that's always been my thoughts......plays Subi very well. Only need to refer back to last seasons match how he read the play across h/back line, first kept us in the game, then was the one who had the run in his legs to run the lines and start attacking moves......and his efforts at the "G" have been similar.

To me he seems to get locked in at times on the smaller grounds, then can tend to second guess himself and turn the ball over.

Maybe, though as simplistic as it sounds, if he is given extra licence to run freely it will kick start him a bit on grounds like Etihad. His direct opponent is another story, but it may sort of simulate the larger ground type of feel for him.

Great effort Raph...... I'm glad I only get to see the best of him at Subi :P and when I get to the MCG finals time, so I mainly see his better games and can see the talent he has on the wider grounds.

Keep it up Raph after all it's the game at the "G" in the last Sat in Sept we want your skills on show

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Apologise??? You have to be kidding. I'll bag him when he plays crap , which has been a fair amount of the time and I'll give him his dues when he deserves them.
He deserves them after "This" game. He was solid last night and as I have been very hard on him I was rapt too see him do good as I am sure that most supporters are...so you can jam this apology crap where the sun doesn't shine.
Just hope he keeps it up.

PS I wonder if Coaches apologize to players that have been dropped and then do well?...... Think about it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is anyone apologising - he has played some poor games over the jouney, and consistently this season, infact some of his contributions have been deplorable...

Against the Eagles he was Excellent - and IMO was the key reason for the victory - Lenny was superb all day, but Raph turned it on and we turned it on (along with Dal and BJ)

No supporter has ever denied his talent (or shouldn't) it is obvious, and at times he has showcased his skill and teased...but not often. He can play, but has 2 major issues..

1) poor work ethic on the track - body lets him down due to this
2) Mental toughness - he lack confidence

Both Raph and Xavier are classy, gifted footballers and have the potential to be A-Grade AFL players....but a casual approach, and lack of desire to be elite has cost them....in the AFL all players have ability, and the talent they have always had is no longer just good enough to carry them....hard work is also required...drop off 5% and you get back to the pack...10% and you struggle...they struggle - not because of lack of talent..

A confident Raph Clarke gives our side another dimension
a 6'2" running back with speed, game sense, defensive ability and able to play on talls and smalls..
This is why the Coaching staff stick with him - he can play, they know it....but it is also what frustrates supporters - the 'Girl with a Curl'

at his best - a flexible gun
worst - a costly liability

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Post Your Apologies to Raph Clarke here

Sam23 wrote:Expect this thread to have 100 posts.
You're only 15 away from getting 100 responses.

I will chime in by saying I will not apologise to the man since I was never a Raph hater.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
linz
Club Player

I'd like to apologize on behalf of the banchee behind me who screams "OH NO RAPH'S NEAR THE BALL; TAKE HIM OFF" everytime we play and Raph plays. Gawd spare me
:cry:

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bozza1980
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Why is anyone apologising - he has played some poor games over the jouney, and consistently this season, infact some of his contributions have been deplorable...
Although I might disagree with deplorable, you have put forward a rational appraisal of Raph's performance, most discussions regarding Raph are missing this.

A key memory for me was leaving the MCG after the Prelim Final and bumping into double figure number of St Kilda supporters who claimed his performance in the Prelim was terrible and he should be dropped.

Throw in the fact that for years if he kicks to a player and the kick is spoiled a great number of St Kilda supporters will use this as an opportunity to wax lyrically about Raph's lack of ability.

For those people who have rationally questioned his place in the side I can understand the frustration however the overwhelming majority of discussion has been neither considered or warranted.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
saint58
Club Player

Re: Post Your Apologies to Raph Clarke here

Sam23 wrote:Sensational today.

Expect this thread to have 100 posts.

He was good, but untill he is constantly good over a number of weeks(and after 62 games he should be) i will Apologise.

But let me do say he has started the year playing a lot better then he has in the past and i have held of critising him at this stage.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why is anyone apologising - he has played some poor games over the jouney, and consistently this season, infact some of his contributions have been deplorable...

Against the Eagles he was Excellent - and IMO was the key reason for the victory - Lenny was superb all day, but Raph turned it on and we turned it on (along with Dal and BJ)

No supporter has ever denied his talent (or shouldn't) it is obvious, and at times he has showcased his skill and teased...but not often. He can play, but has 2 major issues..

1) poor work ethic on the track - body lets him down due to this
2) Mental toughness - he lack confidence
ummm where you geting that from ?? i think its very poor form to attack Raph on his work ethic ... how many times have you trained with raph ?? how the hell would you know how hard he trains ?? people use to think the same about G train cause his relaxed attitude doesnt mean he has poor work ethic

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I am wondering if it's a coincidence that he has a good game away from the St Kilda fans? :?
maybe a factor also i did notice his sister was at the game on sunday so maybe having that kinda support lifted him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he needs to be 'away from fans' or needs his sister....he is really mentally weak....that is ridiculous...

Both Clarke's are exceptionally poor trainers...

I have this from
Watching several training sessions (watching Riewoldt, Hayes, Baker, Montagna, Jones train is awesome) - Raph, Kosi, Schnieder - not so good
Grant Thomas - frustrated him
Team mates - who castigate him for lack of intensity.....

Have a look at the development of their bodies after 7+ years in the system....and the soft tissue injuries....not fit or strong enough to cope with the demands of AFL footy - due to lack of WORK.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Definitely more impressively built this year. Bit poor to have a crack at Raph's condition and training after Sunday's premier display. You don't fluke that kind of fitness. The man's putting it in. GO RAPH!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he needs to be 'away from fans' or needs his sister....he is really mentally weak....that is ridiculous...

I have this from
Watching several training sessions (watching Riewoldt, Hayes, Baker, Montagna, Jones train is awesome) - Raph, Kosi, Schnieder - not so good

Have a look at the development of their bodies after 7+ years in the system....and the soft tissue injuries....not fit or strong enough to cope with the demands of AFL footy - due to lack of WORK.
But I thought you were bemoaning the fact we lost X Clarke, I'm confused?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Both Clarke's are exceptionally poor trainers.
if that is the case raph needs a massive rocket because we cannot afford a guy with his obvious ability not making the grade.

he was outstanding on sunday and i hope this is the start of a breakout season for him.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 25 May 2010 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:If he needs to be 'away from fans' or needs his sister....he is really mentally weak....that is ridiculous...

I have this from

So how many of those closed training sessions have you been to over the last few years??? When do these team mates castigate him? Havent heard anything like this happen otherwise we would have it plastered all over the papers to have a dig at the saints. So you have personally spoken to players, Lyon and Thomas and they have explicitly told you that Raph doesnt work hard enough?
How about you do the same amount of training and get back to us! How many games has he missed due to injury over the last 3 years?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:

I have this from

So how many of those closed training sessions have you been to over the last few years??? When do these team mates castigate him? Havent heard anything like this happen otherwise we would have it plastered all over the papers to have a dig at the saints. So you have personally spoken to players, Lyon and Thomas and they have explicitly told you that Raph doesnt work hard enough?
How about you do the same amount of training and get back to us! How many games has he missed due to injury over the last 3 years?
agreed, grant thomas has always been a big fan and suggests that lyons game plan actually works against clarkes natural game. Never heard him suggest that he is a lazy trainer. But to compare him to freaks like hayes and roo is stupid. Would rather see him in the professionals group like blake, chips etc. From the training sessions in the past 18 months they seem to tailor his training more then anything (maybe because of his back issues earlier in his career).

Have never heard any players take a pot shot at his intensity. I personally would like to see him more intense and run to contests more but this is not how he plays. It's more his ability to get up to speed with the game and his brain fades. When he can work off his player and mark in space (see MCG, subi etc.) he plays very well. When the game is less open he is forced into mistakes.

But to seriously have a crack at clarke over the idea that perhaps he plays better away from our supporters is crap. There is a reason why players and coaches tend to have a unwritten law not to read internet and facebook posts. But in addition it must dent your confidence to hear the rubbish that gets thrown his way from the so called "supporters". In every public job people can be torn down by things people say. Was reading a wonderful book about TV writing and how some very talented writers have been destroyed because their stories are torn to pieces by people who have nothing better to do then flame people on the internet. It's human nature to google yourself and NO-ONE is strong enough to cope with that kind of flaming

Of course this thread was not directed at you (but I did notice that you have softened your stance away from useless to gun when he performs.) marto but more at those who start every game looking for a chance to attack the likes of clarke.

I would love to see clarke build on this and become a first 18 player for the rest of 2010. I will be supporting him and the other 21 players on saturday.... unlike some others

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
I can remember some and here's another: "Some of things written here amaze me. Firstly it isnt a media beat up. It deserves media attention because players whether we like it or not are role models and this stuff is 1990's stuff. Secondly 2 of them. When will they learn. Whether she got pregnant or not why do 3somes. Always a chance to get out that sort of stuff. Also it is illegal if she is under 18 and is a virgin. Hard to prove but that is the law."

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how many AFL players over the years have been epileptic? I am sure it would take more courage for Raph to run out on the ground than most players show in a match.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I have this from

not saying he needs his sister there just comenting that he plays well when she is there its only human nature to want to impress when your family are watching nothing mentally weak about that at all ......

funny how you say you watch many training sessions and say how Raph and X were poor trainers .. how many time did you actually see X train without an injury ? i doubt RL had ever seen X doing training to his fullests as per the requests of the training staff all players with injury concerns are told to hold back at training .....

serioulsy i doubt you have even seen 1/8th of the training Raph does you get to see snippits of training that the club allows you to see so you are far from quallified to make call on his training ability ... as for GT being frustrated by him well GT also wanted milne gone he also wanted nothing to do with gardy ... he also rated ackland .... so GT's frustrations mean 2parts of stuff all to st Kilda today

stinger
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Also it is illegal if she is under 18 and is a virgin. Hard to prove but that is the law.[/u]"

where the f*** did you get that from......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.