Garbage from commentators

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

nobobdy. but NOBODY beats Tim Lame for all time worst commentator the world has ever seen. Does NOT know the rules, seriously, and is so full of 80's commentating cliches it makes me want to go out the front and nail my sack to the nearest tree.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:nobobdy. but NOBODY beats Tim Lame for all time worst commentator the world has ever seen. Does NOT know the rules, seriously, and is so full of 80's commentating cliches it makes me want to go out the front and nail my sack to the nearest tree.
You would solve the problem by nailing Tims lanes sack to the tree, not your own.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Compared to last year, which which was so biased towards the Weagles, I didn't think they were that bad.

A Jako's tone certainly turned maudalin when it was clear the Weagles had lost.

No need to send an email to Foxtel this year, about the bias of its commentators.

Still I do think of the late Clinton Grybas and how he would have called the game without any bias. :(

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Its amazing what we hear. I reckon they were great today but I suppose if you want to look for negative you will find them. You also probably reckon we were hard done by the umpires.
well...we were weren't we albert...?? :wink: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markp
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:nobobdy. but NOBODY beats Tim Lame for all time worst commentator the world has ever seen. Does NOT know the rules, seriously, and is so full of 80's commentating cliches it makes me want to go out the front and nail my sack to the nearest tree.
I honestly suspect he is suffering from the same degenerative brain condition that is afflicting Malcom Blight.

Or as the twelfth man (as Ritchie) said about Max Walker....

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
wraiyth wrote: Love listening to Tom Harley most across all channels right now.
Harley is excellent. Seems that the shorter time you are out of the game the better your comments.

His are very insightful and seem to be very very fair for all teams.
I agree, one of the very few that dont show over the top bias. Like his comments, total oposite to tospot lloyd and jackovich

I love this club
derby Street
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Its amazing what we hear. I reckon they were great today but I suppose if you want to look for negative you will find them. You also probably reckon we were hard done by the umpires.
You reckon they (commentators) were great today Plugger :shock: Doesn't leave you much room to move if you ever come across a good call. A simultaneous decision that was one minute apart - now that was pure gold :D The best special comments person (who is totally unbiased is Tom Harley)
In fact wouldn't it be grat if it became network policy that disallowed Darcy doing Bulldog games and especially Lloyd doing Bummer games.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
I did, the Lenny Hayes holding the ball was a disgrace....
disgusting
said "incorrect disp"
hayes said i handballed (and clearly did)
"took too long" was the next answer

clearly ffffed it up

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Actually didnt think the commentators were too bad yesterday.

If you want genuine bias commentating, have a listen to Alistair Lynch when the lions are playing !!

Elvis
Club Player

The tv commentators were well below par IMHO. Too much superfluous rubbish and fair weather opinion. One minute our season is over and the next we're all sweet!

If I wanted to listen about the way the grass was cut I'd go to the Lifestyle Channel. If I wanted to hear about the weather, which they rambled on about all afternoon then I'd go to the weather channel.

Jakovich is the biggest Captain Obvious since... and I'm sorry to say this, the days of SOS as Boundary Rider!!!

Best commentators are on NIRS, with Gilbert and Rocking Ronnie. They just cut out all the rubbish, throw in some emotion and call the game. Turn down your tv volume and when you can, just replace with Gilly and co.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garbage from commentators

ctqs wrote:What happened to all the decent footy commentators. So many are crap these days. According to those on Fox today, St Kilda's season was "on the line" in the third quarter when three goals down. WTF? We've beaten 4/6ths of the top-eight sides we've played. It was only the third quarter. We're in the top eight. And our best player is to come back. Oh, and we won easily.
Let's be honest all networks say that, they need to build it up for excitement value.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saintsfan
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Jackovich, Lloyd, Darcy...if their team is playing then they can dish out all sorts of fascianting trivia about that side...which is great if you follow that team, otherwise its just boring..or frustrating if you follow the other team.

IMO, have a special comments guy from each team, or one neutral one

There were two teams out there for the Dreamteam game..but all you ever heard about were the exploits and in-jokes about the Bombers players thanks to Harry High-Pants.
Maybe Im whinging but to me this has to be said.

How bloody boring and pointless was the pre-game 'entertainment'. It was a bunch of nothing and if I was actually at the ground I would have spent it at the bar.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Face
Club Player

Aussie rules has the best supporters in the world yet we receive the worst deal possible in broadcasting.

In fact it's not that surprising. It's actually probably an inevitable outcome.

Much like with the AFL - people will turn up or tune in regardless of how incompetently the game is presented.

So unless you're prepared to turn it off - learn to put up with it. Why would there be any incentive for the networks to improve their coverage when people still tolerate delayed telecasts?

ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:"Those two frees were simultaneous, within a minute of each other"

You wouldn't hear that on 3AW.
Jackass has no concept of time difference, he doesn't even realise he is 2 hours behind the times.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote:
You reckon they (commentators) were great today Plugger :shock: Doesn't leave you much room to move if you ever come across a good call. A simultaneous decision that was one minute apart - now that was pure gold :D The best special comments person (who is totally unbiased is Tom Harley)
In fact wouldn't it be grat if it became network policy that disallowed Darcy doing Bulldog games and especially Lloyd doing Bummer games.

Now, now, no need to attack Plugger.
He can't help it that he is deaf as well as blind.

And dumb too.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I loved BT's comment in the last 1/4 to Jackovich when he was complaining about the inconsistency of the umpiring - something along the lines of 'I can sense a disgruntled eagle' :)

I actually reackon BT is the best commentator by a mile, and Foxtel is the best coverage by a mile - No ads

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:In my usual style up the bush I was watching fox or whatever but had ABC Radio on... ...
This - yes I listened to Fox commentary for about 10 mins - and that was it, TV volume off, and over to ABC radio - even though they stuffed up some names, they were much better :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 24 May 2010 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No contact :shock:
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm the first to whack commentators but I had no problem with Jako. BT & Gerard yesterday.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
derby Street wrote:

Now, now, no need to attack Plugger.
He can't help it that he is deaf as well as blind.

And dumb too.
Your posts continue to be boring. You arent the joker you want to be.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Actually didnt think the commentators were too bad yesterday !!
Agreed; I even had a quiet chuckle when Taylor had a little dig at Jakovich for being biased !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Didn't mind BT yesterday, I'm sure I heard him refer to us at one point as "the reigning Premiers". :lol:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

ctqs wrote:What happened to all the decent footy commentators. So many are crap these days. According to those on Fox today, St Kilda's season was "on the line" in the third quarter when three goals down. WTF? We've beaten 4/6ths of the top-eight sides we've played. It was only the third quarter. We're in the top eight. And our best player is to come back. Oh, and we won easily.
I agreed pretty much completely with what they said, as far as our chances of winning the flag go. Sides that are losing to teams in the bottom 4 and are struggling to stay in the 8 don't usually win the premiership, unless I'm much mistaken.
At the time, we absolutely looked like we were going to go down and I felt that if we'd lost, our season could have very easily have gone into freefall. Because of how we were going at the time and recently, not what happened weeks ago. Thankfully we got fair dinkum and have averted that, though, for the time being.
We need to play with that sort of intensity each quarter of each match, though, not just when the s*** will hit the fan if we don't (like against the Bulldogs, in the last 15 mins, or yesterday, in the last 50 mins).
And I think we're kidding ourselves if we expect Roo is just going to come back and be in the sort of career-best form he was in early in the year. Hopefully he will, but it's a long-shot, considering he has a serious injury (and an area- the hamstring- that can easily be re-injured). The rest of our side needs to be in top form, including our "bottom 6", which did little again, yesterday.
Yesterday was great and a good step forward, but there's a hell of a long way to go, if it's a flag we're after. The Eagles are sitting third from the bottom, remember.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
I agreed pretty much completely with what they said, as far as our chances of winning the flag go. Sides that are losing to teams in the bottom 4 and are struggling to stay in the 8 don't usually win the premiership, unless I'm much mistaken.
And I think we're kidding ourselves if we expect Roo is just going to come back and be in the sort of career-best form he was in early in the year. Hopefully he will, but it's a long-shot, considering he has a serious injury (and an area- the hamstring- that can easily be re-injured). The rest of our side needs to be in top form, including our "bottom 6", which did little again, yesterday.
Yesterday was great and a good step forward, but there's a hell of a long way to go, if it's a flag we're after. The Eagles are sitting third from the bottom, remember.
Yes, you're correct.

But also remember that since Roo got injured we've managed to beat
2nd
3rd
4th

and we haven't played 1st yet.

Do you reckon when Roo comes back the opposition will think
'he's coming back from a serious hamstring injury and won't be at his best - no need to put as much time into him as normal, we can just ignore his significance'

If he does nothing else on his return he will cause the opposition to change the way they view their game plans against us - something none of them have had to worry about since half time of round 3.

I'm sure the plan at the moment is to try and stay close enough to have a real 'crack' at the flag when he gets back.

SaintTom
Club Player

I agreed with the comment about our season being on the line halfway through the third. Coming off a dismal month we didn't look promising that we'd get back in the game and that was very winnable. I started to wonder if that was how our season would end, not with a bang but a whimper.

Face
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:And I think we're kidding ourselves if we expect Roo is just going to come back and be in the sort of career-best form he was in early in the year. Hopefully he will, but it's a long-shot,
It's not a long shot at all.

Roo is a champion player for a reason. Sure he might be a bit rusty but he will impose himself on games. He will also draw additional defenders and help create opportunities for others.