Umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring

We complain when we get the short end of the stick, so it's only fair to acknowledge when we come out on top... which today we did. Kicking in danger, multiple out on the fulls paid as marks, etc. Eagles fans understandably upset, but after the last couple of weeks we were due some easy frees :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintTom
Club Player

You watch someone come on here and honestly think we got a raw deal today... There's always at least one!
Last edited by SaintTom on Sun 23 May 2010 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

we got caught holding the ball many a time when it clearly wasnt so fairs fair

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:we got caught holding the ball many a time when it clearly wasnt so fairs fair
OMG as my daughter would say.

battye
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:we got caught holding the ball many a time when it clearly wasnt so fairs fair
The only times we were hardly done by were the Hayes holding the ball decision and the Fisher ran too far call. Besides those two, I can't think of any given against us that weren't there.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Sam Fisher didn't run to far with the ball to be pinged, but for an interstate game where the home crowd are booing, umpires must have been doing the right thing.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
westy
Club Player

And Scneider even got a free!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
battye
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:And Scneider even got a free!
That free was there I think, although there is no doubt Schnadzo exaggerated the impact a tad.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring

battye wrote:We complain when we get the short end of the stick, so it's only fair to acknowledge when we come out on top... which today we did. Kicking in danger, multiple out on the fulls paid as marks, etc. Eagles fans understandably upset, but after the last couple of weeks we were due some easy frees :)

A couple of holding the man, and high tackles wernt paid to the Eagles too.

And we got a good run!

wasaintsfan
Club Player

im not saying we got a bad run... but it wasnt a great run... it was just a steady run.. for every easy free we got... they got one too

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Was that a goal by McKinley? Didn't look like he got any contact on the ball.

Frustrated me when the commentators refused to acknowledge that it was a close call as soon it happened. They just watched replay after replay in silence.

I don't think it was a goal.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

the soccer in the 2nd quarter? if so then yes it was a goal

battye
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Was that a goal by McKinley? Didn't look like he got any contact on the ball.

Frustrated me when the commentators refused to acknowledge that it was a close call as soon it happened. They just watched replay after replay in silence.

I think he instinctively would have made another attempt to try and kick it if he felt he did not get boot to ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:Was that a goal by McKinley? Didn't look like he got any contact on the ball.

Frustrated me when the commentators refused to acknowledge that it was a close call when it happened.

Look we got a poor run tonight but what do you expect. We played an interstate side and apparently they are always favoured and we always get a poor run whoever we play.

maz1685
Club Player

In full motion the 2 'out of bounds marks' did look out but in slow motion they actually looked correct, more so the Joey one I think was correct, McEvoy you could say that his arms were inside but also umpire was blocked by the runner.
I personally think the kicking in danger one was a bit soft, but then, as posted above, there was that goal that really didn't look like it touched his boot.

Anyway, fair few bad decisions but it was pretty equal for both sides, probably just favoured the Saints a little bit more.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:

I think he instinctively would have made another attempt to try and kick it if he felt he did not get boot to ball.
That's true but was the ball already over the line before he could make another attempt so decided he'd just celebrate anyway to con the umpire?

Couldn't see any clear deviation from the ball off the boot. May have got the slightest of contact but I didn't see it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
battye wrote:

That's true but was the ball already over the line before he could make another attempt so decided he'd just celebrate anyway to con the umpire?

Couldn't see any clear deviation from the ball off the boot. May have got the slightest of contact but I didn't see it.
I suppose the umpire being one metre away suggests he heard it hit the boot or at least saw it. It annoys me they dont use a camera a 100 metres away to see it.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:
battye wrote:

I suppose the umpire being one metre away suggests he heard it hit the boot or at least saw it. It annoys me they dont use a camera a 100 metres away to see it.
I don't think you could hear a slight touch of boot to ball like that with 30,000 people roaring him on to kick it.

I think the umpire saw McKinley's arms go up in the air so thought to himself, "he must've kicked it".

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I think the boundary umpire got BJ's point kick-in right.

Commentators were convinced it was out on the full, I didn't think it was so clear cut.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to the umps, no doubt.

We got the rub of the green when it counted.

No doubt next week will be a different story - boot on the other foot - us at home against an interstate team.

Perhaps the AFL/or the Geesh has directly spoken to the umps about avoiding bias at interstate venues.

Must admit, must be hard for the umps not to play to a crowd of 36K, or which 95% were Weagles fans!

derby Street
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:
battye wrote:

Correct decision by the goal umpire - not too sure he heard it hit the boot - not as if it was a full blooded 60 metre woof with a very quiet background and not 37,000 baying Eagle supporters

derby Street
Club Player

battye wrote:
The only times we were hardly done by were the Hayes holding the ball decision and the Fisher ran too far call. Besides those two, I can't think of any given against us that weren't there.
That's the way I saw it as well - no complaints from me about this weeks umpiring. It is good when it goes our way - because rest assured ..............

suss
Club Player

I don't care what anybody says, I still hate Glen Jakovich. :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Beej wrote:
battye wrote:

Or he just made a mistake. Only Healy asked when they were showing a replay at one of the quarter breaks "did he actually make contact with that"

The ball seemed to just drop on its end and went through the goal.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

THere was good and bad decisions both ways. No way did WC kick that goal and Lenny's holding the ball was just stupid, 2 quick ones off the top of my head.

Qld Saints Supporter Group