Players lose faith in Saints Footy - Tim Lane article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

backit
Club Player

Players lose faith in Saints Footy - Tim Lane article

An article from Tim Lane questioning Saints Footy.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... -w328.html

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

So we have a drugs issue and a gay issue this week, and good ol' Tim decides to put the boot into us instead.

Typical. :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:So we have a drugs issue and a gay issue this week, and good ol' Tim decides to put the boot into us instead.

A 'gay issue'?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Fair article up to a point. I don't know where he can allege the players have lost faith, IMO that's an indictment on the playing group.

He could just as easily potted the notion of 'Saints Footy' as a fallacy as observed from an outside observer. Or, as the basis of the article infers, 'Saints Footy' is 'Riewoldt Led Footy'. Seems an article written by a person enjoying the struggle Lyon and the players are facing.

A couple of minor tweaks over the coming weeks, something as simple as playing one on one and trusting the players to beat the direct opponent with the belief their collective talent can win the match once those minor battles are won.

Saints Footy is a brand and a structure, however a key piece is missing...a bit like taking the sugar out of coca cola or the spoilers off an F1 machine. We will prevail and come out of this better and stronger but it will take a lot of work and faith by the players in each other and the coaching staff.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:Seems an article written by a person enjoying the struggle Lyon and the players are facing.
Been my observation of the football public in recent weeks.

Saints are only everyone's second team when they're expected to be losers.

Bad management is bad management
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
St DAC wrote:So we have a drugs issue and a gay issue this week, and good ol' Tim decides to put the boot into us instead.

A 'gay issue'?
You living in a cave Rodger? Aka's article has sparked the death of many a forest this week; although in and of itself it's a storm in a teacup, the media have grabbed the issue and beaten it to death. Call it what you will, that's what i was referring to.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Aka tried to down play it after the North game like the smug cockhead he is. I'm glad he's not writing about Saints footy and how 'uncontrollably' we have 'plunged' in recent weeks. Article was missing the absent squad-influence of Xavier, Goose, Ball and big Max. Also injuries to Gram and Ray.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Fair call by Tim, he is on the money.

Tim Lane is a respectable person and journo......far more so than most.

His last line is most pertinent......win the next 3, and things may change.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

correct. Tims hates us always has and still cant get over Goddard not at the Blues.

I love his melodrama "rarely has a side stumbled...." I can recall many sides having form slumps and losing a few in a row???

What I never read from Tim was during our Carlton domination - a damning idictment on why the Blues have been so fragile for so long and why what they were doing has failed them......now that would require a BALANCED approach to journalism.....something Tim shies away from.

This is why the current football media needs fresh faces - needs more Clinton Grybas's and why both print/tv is deplorable in their coverage. Just have a look at how silent Quarterbrain is over a pathetic Hawthorn side who EVERYONE had as top 4.......but nup.........its the old "silence is golden". Except when it comes to St Kilda - Brereton (who has at least been critical of Hawks...but still reckons Clarkson has "browny points" so hes excused..) managed to say what a side of B Grade players we have at St Kilda. Thats ok, its an opinion but what about the clear B Graders at Hawthorn (who he wont name cause hes friends with) in the absence of 1 defender in trent Croad???

FFS the hypocrisy is startling. Sure the usual apologists will appear in this thread - but the facts are undeniable.

“Yeah….nah””
Statsman
Club Player

Tim Lane - meh! :roll:

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

correct. Tims hates us always has and still cant get over Goddard not at the Blues.

I love his melodrama "rarely has a side stumbled...." I can recall many sides having form slumps and losing a few in a row???

What I never read from Tim was during our Carlton domination - a damning idictment on why the Blues have been so fragile for so long and why what they were doing has failed them......now that would require a BALANCED approach to journalism.....something Tim shies away from.

This is why the current football media needs fresh faces - needs more Clinton Grybas's and why both print/tv is deplorable in their coverage. Just have a look at how silent Quarterbrain is over a pathetic Hawthorn side who EVERYONE had as top 4.......but nup.........its the old "silence is golden". Except when it comes to St Kilda - Brereton (who has at least been critical of Hawks...but still reckons Clarkson has "browny points" so hes excused..) managed to say what a side of B Grade players we have at St Kilda. Thats ok, its an opinion but what about the clear B Graders at Hawthorn (who he wont name cause hes friends with) in the absence of 1 defender in trent Croad???

FFS the hypocrisy is startling. Sure the usual apologists will appear in this thread - but the facts are undeniable.
Which StKilda players would be classed as B Graders....that's the part of your post that has me thinking...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Good article. Tim Lane hates us. Persecution complex to me. Surely after 3 of our last 4 and starting the year as equal flag favourites we should only have super positive articles.

saintnick12
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:Seems an article written by a person enjoying the struggle Lyon and the players are facing.
Been my observation of the football public in recent weeks.

Saints are only everyone's second team when they're expected to be losers.
Agree. There seems to be a lot of people enjoying the stuggle. Like it proves some sort of point of theirs - "that we were never really that good last year, and were just lucky (no injuries etc). ". I seem to be coming across that opinion quite a lot both media wise and amongst people that chat to me about footy etc.
What really annoys me is how the footy media seem to focus on the immediate past couple of games and go crazy over teams that are winning or losing based on that. We win against Collingwood, we are the best team ever. Geelong loses a few - their run is over. They smash a few teams, they are the best thing ever again. Pies beaten by us - strugglers, win a few - they are premiers, lose again - they are pretenders. The hype over one or two results is quite frustrating. Yes the StKilda losing a couple of games is cause for concern and we should probably expect these kinds of articles. Its more the way we have lost rather than the losses themselves which is the big concern. But the articles and hysteria started after one loss....thats the fickle nature of the media. Its almost like they back a team, get annoyed when they are let down by that team, so they stick the boots in. Not only to us, but all the teams in consideration. If we win the three against the bottom teams, they'll be writing articles about us ressurecting our season and starting the "what if" senarios re Riewoldt coming back - I can see it now. Lose today, and I can only imagine the headlines tomorrow.
Lets hope it doesnt' come to that. Go Saints!!!

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Saintsfan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Good article. Tim Lane hates us. Persecution complex to me. Surely after 3 of our last 4 and starting the year as equal flag favourites we should only have super positive articles.
To question players doubting the coaching staff after 3 losses in a month is a bit far in my opinion.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Face
Club Player

I was going to post a list of Tim's hypocritical positions over the years but decided I had better things to do with the next 6 hours.

The bloke is a straight up knob.

All that article indicates to me is that he has no idea what is meant by "Saints Footy'.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

No inside observations, no quoted unquoted sources, it's just Tim's view from outside.

An opinion, nothing more.

Play on.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
An opinion, nothing more.

Play on.
He seems to be gloating as well, for some reason

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

He says Riewoldt must now be classified in a different category to the Carey discussion... "influence on his own team" or words to that effect.

Im sorry. Take Carey out of the 90's North Melbourne team and they were nothing.

NOTHING.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Public loses faith in Age footy journalism.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Good article. Tim Lane hates us. Persecution complex to me. Surely after 3 of our last 4 and starting the year as equal flag favourites we should only have super positive articles.
To question players doubting the coaching staff after 3 losses in a month is a bit far in my opinion.
i reckon he's right. the players have lost confidence and that's why they're playing badly. the job of the coaching staff is to get their confidence back. it's really that simple.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Serial St Kilda hater - wouldn't bother reading what he writes

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Difference between down on confidence and losing belief in coaching staff. Where's the evidence? Plucked out of Lane's knobhead ass.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Tim Lame is a Carlton supporter who sticks the slipper into us whenever he can regardless if is the feces he smears on papar and calls an artical or the verbal diahorrea he spews over the airwaves.

Less than no intrest in what this scum fan has to say

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Then reality bit. Three defeats, and a fortunate win, stolen from a frozen opponent, have been the result. None of the teams to which the Saints have bowed is in the top four. Suddenly, this appears to be a middle-ranking team at best. Without the reliability of its champion target-forward, the delicate balance between attack and defence has been thrown out of kilter and the scoring has dried up.
Good article - the bolded bit was unfair though.

We did not win because of a "frozen opponent".

We won because the team was too cowardly to take us on with their gameplan, tried to play OUR gameplan, failed and we capitalised - FWIW, I thought that win was very impressive in showing our determination and resolve - the last ten minutes anyway.

Apart from that, a fair balanced, not biased point of view.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Serial St Kilda hater - wouldn't bother reading what he writes
Ditto!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!