This Weeks Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Weeks Team

bergholt wrote:
Junior wrote:St Kilda
B: James Gwilt, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
HB: Steven Baker, Sam Fisher, Jason Blake
C: Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo, Farren Ray
HF: Nick Heyne, Rhys Stanley, Adam Schneider
F: Clinton Jones, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna
I/C (from): Raphael Clarke, Robert Eddy, Jarryn Geary, Andrew McQualter, Ben McEvoy, Brett Peake, Jack Steven

In: Clarke, Peake, Eddy, Steven, Stanley
Out: Jason Gram (groin), David Armitage
surely we ain't gonna see stanley, kosi, gardy and b-mac in one side, especially at subi. only one named in the seven on the bench so mcevoy seems to be on the way out again.

i'd be surprised if raph came in as we looked better last week with just the six regular defenders in the side, rather than seven defenders which we'll have if he plays, so i reckon he'll be an emergency.

robert eddy played the last interstate game and wasn't that bad, and he's been good at sandy, so he must have some chance of getting a game. but i think geary's been good and ross likes mcqualter, while the pace of peake and steven will be important, so i don't think it's eddy's day this week.

IN: Peake, Stanley, Steven
OUT: Armitage, Gram (groin), McEvoy
I don't think that's so extreme.

Stanley is pretty mobile remember.

Him and Kosi forward, Gardi and Mac forward.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

FFS why drop Armitage AGAIN???/

We got flogged by Carlton in the midfield because we had nobody willing to go in and under.

We are going to put in Steven and Peake to compensate?

God Flipping help us :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:FFS why drop Armitage AGAIN???/

We got flogged by Carlton in the midfield because we had nobody willing to go in and under.

I agree I am concerned. Massive role for Lenny. Maybe Eddy will come in?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
sax wrote:Would've dropped McQualtar before Armo!
He's done nothing all year!
Armo has done little when selected as well, but they are two different players IMO.

Armo is more of an outside player, whilst Mini is more of an inside player.

Peake come in as an outside player and has more pace than Armo, which is needed on a big ground.
I thought he was going to be our inside player.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah...I don't get it.

saintnick12
Club Player

Something certainly seems to be going on with Armo. He must be doing something they don't like. Maybe its an attitude thing. He has been dropped twice in three weeks now, and most of us here feel there are a few who could go before him. Maybe they think Steven is a better option in the same position. He was a little unlucky himself when he was dropped.
Anyway, this quote is from the article in THe AGE - "The kids are alright" which has its own thread, but thought this bit was topical to this thread
Armitage, the loping left-footer, and McEvoy, the stripling ruckman, are at the head of the crop. But the former has had to wait for midfield opportunities behind a group that includes Lenny Hayes, Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo, Jason Gram and Brendon Goddard. He is still to graduate. Just last year he was dropped a fortnight after a three-vote Brownlow game. St Kilda's coaching staff believe he will be a player; but they have ridden him hard. ''He's been spasmodic for a number of reasons,'' said Lyon. ''There's a spot for him. He's just been inconsistent. He's a really good kid. He's frustrated, too.''

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
rexy
SS Life Member

Think we will play Mcevoy and Geary, which leaves two spots between Peake Eddy Mini and Clarke, much of a muchness out of those 4 for me, Eddy gives you effort and i think he and mini understand the zone and positioning best for defensive forwards, Peake and Clarke probably both give you more pace. I would pick Eddy because even though he is not quick he will run all day, maybe Clarke as he is taller and more versatile, can play back forward wing etc? So for me big mac eddy geary and raph on the bench.

Dont think the height is an issue, in our best side we would have picked Gardiner King Roo and Kosi, thats four talls also?

A bit surprised that Zac wasnt named on the extended bench, thought after last week he was pretty close to being dropped, at least being part of a 7 man bench may have made him realise that he needs to lift even if the coaching staff feel that we dont have a real replacement for him? Presume he will get Q Lynch?

Maybe this year?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Maybe GC17 will give us pick 30 for him.

That's of course if we don't have tickets on him and think he's worth more!

elvis lives
Club Player

Armo dropped, what an absolute joke! Has performed better and adds more to the side than any of: mini, steven, raph, Geary. And don't even start me on eddy (marks space well) or peake who hasn't touched it at sandy.

Armo clearly gets too many contested possessions, kicks too many goals and lays too many tackles. He should concentrate more on marking space, getting caught running with it in the backline or generally having no influence. Either that or pay someone to get on the favourites list.

Maybe the pies have got room for another tough, in and under, clearance winning, tackling machine - clearly we are covered in that department. I mean there's Lenny and.... Ah well let's just rely a bit more on Lenny.
Last edited by elvis lives on Thu 20 May 2010 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am marching in the Saints army
busso mick
Club Player

Apart from Waters & Hurn that is a fairly inexperienced back-line and should suit Stanley for his debut. With Glass out it should help Kosi as well so we might be able to kick start our scoring this week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Happy to see Stanley get a run.

Not happy Armitage is out - if we are gonna get some synergy between inside mids and I count Hayes/Armoo as our 2 prime movers here they need to play consistently for mine.

Mqualter is a very lucky boy for mine. NEEDS to have an impact.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Happy to see Stanley get a run.

Not happy Armitage is out - if we are gonna get some synergy between inside mids and I count Hayes/Armoo as our 2 prime movers here they need to play consistently for mine.

Mqualter is a very lucky boy for mine. NEEDS to have an impact.
Agree with all you say, however people shouldn't assume McQualter won't be missing from the final 22.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Any chance Armo will be a late inclusion given they are predicting rain, maybe go one less tall?

I can't work out if it's an Armitage v Steven battle for the same role, or perhaps they are trying to send a message that no spot is a given?

Not sure, hopefully it doesn't leave too much to Lenny. :?

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

last year on a couple of occasions Armo was dropped for an interstate game. I dont know that he has ever played an interstate game for us.

Anybody think there's anything to this?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:last year on a couple of occasions Armo was dropped for an interstate game. I dont know that he has ever played an interstate game for us.

He played in Tassie though...unless you call that oversea's :)

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:last year on a couple of occasions Armo was dropped for an interstate game. I dont know that he has ever played an interstate game for us.

Yes, I recall he did... but being in Launceston I would imagine they take the boat over rather than fly?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Any chance Armo will be a late inclusion given they are predicting rain, maybe go one less tall?

I can't work out if it's an Armitage v Steven battle for the same role, or perhaps they are trying to send a message that no spot is a given?

Not sure, hopefully it doesn't leave too much to Lenny. :?
He won't be a late inclusion, he won't be an emergency as he isn't in the 25 man squad.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:...maybe Clarke as he is taller and more versatile, can play back forward wing etc?
really? i've never seen him do anything in the midfield, and despite our forward crisis he's barely been tried down there. nah, i think he's really just a running half-back and can only play in that position.

St Michele
Club Player

I think it will be intersting to see how the talls go we are expecting a good belting of rain between now and the game so the ground will be pretty wet.

Might netralise Natinui and the other talls.I think we might have a scrappy game so the little blokes should get a good chance to play well.

Michele

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

A very strange foriegn land :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Armitage's performance on Sunday was in my opinion his least effective for the club. His attack on the man and ball was well below his usual standards and he would no doubt be very disappointed with his game. Obviously Ross Lyon and the coaching staff thought the same. Unless you're certain starter every week (which Armo is not yet) you can't be rewarded with another senior game after such a poor performance. He just doesn't have the runs on the board yet to hold his spot after less than acceptable performances. He was stiff to be dropped after the Bulldogs game but his game on the weekend really did little to show that he'd learnt from it.

At his best I'd have him in the side every week, but his consistancy is an issue for him at the moment.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

When does final team get announced is it today or tomorrow.
Sorry for the noob question, its just been so long since we played on a Sunday. :wink:

ThePunter
Club Player

Geary out with Armitage and Gram.

Peake and Clarke in with Stanley.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Pretty pleased with that. Good game to bring in young Stanley as he can present as a target in all that space at Subi.

Also think it a good intention to utlize Peake's run on a ground he's familiar with. Is he the obvious Gram replacement now?

I'm a Geary fan but don't think a spell away from the team will do him any harm. Mini escapes another weekend on the out.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches