Finally Stanley to Debut

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lmao

under his hat all along......

lol

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Leo.J wrote:His nickname would have to be Flash...wouldn't it?
rhys lightning
Nice work.
Well this kid is electrifyin, he's terrifyin, he's mystifyin
Why it's Rhys lightnin'!

We'll get some forward problems, and four quarters to play, oh yeah
Keep talkin', whoah keep talkin'
Roo injection cut off, and no mature-age Pods, oh yeah
I'll get the kid from Sandy, I'll send him up from Sandy
With small forwards on the floor, they'll be waitin' at the door
You know that special glint when he won the GF sprint ye Rhys lightnin

Chorus:

Go, Rhys lightnin', you're burnin' up the V.F.L.
Rhys lightnin', go Rhys lightnin'
Go, Rhys lightnin', we need you during Kosi's bad spell,
Rhys lightnin', go Rhys lightnin'
You are supreme, you're in the team, ye Rhys lightnin'

We'll get Hayes and Dal Santo to spot you up all day long, oh yeah
Soon you'll be the new king of our struggling forward throng, oh yeah
Take some hangers, kick some goals, we can win games again
You know you'll be a star, you've got the skill of Mark Le Cras - Rhys lightnin'

chorus repeats 2x
Classic! Made me smile at work.

Beekay
SS Life Member

dcstkfc brilliant mate.

Rhys Lightning. That's surely gonna stick.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

McQueen......

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

This is greta to see first Heyne and now Stanley getting a run. Hopfully we can see the defenders remain in defence

I love this club
shmic_s
Club Player

Statsman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:However this weeks "article" was all about Roo coaching Fisher on how to play CHF, and now Stanley is selected. :wink:
Any chance Fisher does actually play CHF with Stanley brought in, at the expense of McEvoy, to ruck against Naitanui with Gardiner going up against Cox? On the wide open expanses of Subiaco, they may be concerned that the mobile of Cox and Naitanui would expose McEvoy. Stanley's recent good form at VFL level was in the ruck after all. Just a thought.....
Also with Glass out, the ability to have Stanley, Kosi & Gardiner push forward could work to our advantage. They are all quite tall and can kick a goal. Make Nic Nat and Cox more accountable.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
Statsman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:However this weeks "article" was all about Roo coaching Fisher on how to play CHF, and now Stanley is selected. :wink:
Any chance Fisher does actually play CHF with Stanley brought in, at the expense of McEvoy, to ruck against Naitanui with Gardiner going up against Cox? On the wide open expanses of Subiaco, they may be concerned that the mobile of Cox and Naitanui would expose McEvoy. Stanley's recent good form at VFL level was in the ruck after all. Just a thought.....
Also with Glass out, the ability to have Stanley, Kosi & Gardiner push forward could work to our advantage. They are all quite tall and can kick a goal. Make Nic Nat and Cox more accountable.
Agree.

Hopefully the weather doesn't play a negative role in all this.

busso mick
Club Player

Just a bit of trivia about Stanley - he will make his debut at Subiaco - just like Sam Fisher in 2004 - both boys are from West Adelaide. For the record we won against the Dockers in Sam's debut.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

always had to debut at CHF. the club has erred all year playing him at FF and Ruck at sandy. He is undersized for both and not a crash bash wrestling type. hes a giraffe not a monster. let him run free. those calling for him to be pikced at FF or ruck in the seniors have NFI.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our forward line is the weak link - we need speed , forward pressure another tall and ideally a medium sized player.
We have 4 players we could try there this year , maybe 2 at a time - until we get it right - Walsh, Stanley, Lynch and Heyne.

The important thing at least is St Kilda is recognising the weakness and trying to do something about it.

If the experiment fails - our forward line will still suck (it wont get worse), but at least we are finally not weakening our defence by playing our defenders forward, so we will be better off in that sense anyway.

We are also finding out about our kids.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 23 May 2010 1:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Our forward line is the weak link - we need speed , forward pressure another tall and ideally a medium sized player.
We have 4 players we could try there this year , maybe 2 at a time - until we get it right - Walsh, Stanley, Lynch and Heyne.

The important thing at least is St Kilda is recognising the weakness and trying to do something about it.

If the experiment fails - our forward line will still suck (it wont get worse), but at least we are finally not weakening our defence by playing our defenders forward, so we will still be better off in that sense anyway.
i still think goddard must play forward during riewoldt's absence and the rest of the midfield will need to lift to cover him. raph could be added to the mids rotation where i think he could surprise a few.

however i will be delighted to be proved wrong if one of the kids can step up and kick us a winning score.

our forward efficiency has been dreadful since riewoldt went down and unless we can apply some scoreboard pressure we will not win today either.

kosi is not a good enough forward to lead the attack imo. he is a useful secondary target or second ruck.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
samoht wrote:Our forward line is the weak link - we need speed , forward pressure another tall and ideally a medium sized player.

If the experiment fails - our forward line will still suck (it wont get worse), but at least we are finally not weakening our defence by playing our defenders forward, so we will still be better off in that sense anyway.
i still think goddard must play forward during riewoldt's absence.

however i will be delighted if one of the kids steps up and kicks us a winning score.
Goddard could be a matchwinner as a forward no doubt.

But the dilemma is ..
There will be times when Goddard playing forward will work - and work well... say 30% of the time.
But we know Goddard playing down back and in the midfield always works...or works say 99% of the time.

.. maybe Goddard could be tried forward at least in stints - to test the water see if it's going to work out.
The good thing about Goddard is he has an immediate impact up forward if it's working out - if he's not producing after 1 quarter I reckon you send him back.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:There will be times when Goddard playing forward will work - and work well... say 30% of the time.
But we know Goddard playing down back and in the midfield always works...or works say 99% of the time.
you just plucked those percentages out of thin air with nothing to base them on.

Goddard has spent ONE HALF of one game this season in the forward line. he kicked five, which is one fewer than kosi has for the SEASON.

we need a potent forward and kosi isn't providing it. stanley has just a handful of goals for sandringham this season (maybe fewer).

forward inefficiency cost us the game last week. we went in a lot more often than essendon but couldn't kick goals.

i still think bj, but will be delighted to he proved wrong if stanley kicks a bag on debut.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
samoht wrote:There will be times when Goddard playing forward will work - and work well... say 30% of the time.
you just plucked those percentages out of thin air with nothing to base them on.

Goddard has spent ONE HALF of one game this season in the forward line. he kicked five, which is one fewer than kosi has for the SEASON.

we need a potent forward and kosi isn't providing it. stanley has just a handful of goals for sandringham this season.

i still think bj, but will be delighted to he proved wrong if stanley kicks a bag on debut.
Goddard has had a few stints up forward this year... since Roo's absence.

I guess RL must think that he's robbing Peter more than he's paying Paul - otherwise he'd always be playing him forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Goddard has had a few stints up forward this year ... since Roo's absence.
In two minute bursts, though.

There has been no continuity apart from the Freo match (where he had a half to prove himself).

Question: What is the difference between us last season and us since Riewoldt went down?

Answer: We don't have a reliable and potent key forward.

I think we have to rob Peter because no Paul is costing us games.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

This year our forward pressure is also down.

I don't expect Stanley to kick goals ..

What I hope he can do is take a tall defender - and more importantly provide that forward pressure and chase that's lacking - and cause the opposition to miskick - not get that easy, accurate rebound.

If he can do that - provide the forward pressure, take a tall defender - then our other midfielders and forwards (maybe even goddard playing on a hff) can hopefully capitalise on his hard work to kick goals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:(maybe even goddard playing on a hff).
i reckon ff and give him some space. a very difficult player to beat one out as he can get you in the air or on the ground. knows where to lead and knows how to use his body.

also has a goal-kicking nous that kosi and others don't have and never will develop.

anyway, let's hope we can turn it around and kick some goals today or that premiership dream is slipping into the realms of fantasy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you want him at FF.

His weapons are his pace and athleticism....so keep in space on the big ground where he can run and present and be a linking target when required. Hopefully his size will causea math up problem.

Even with Glass out I don't think you want him in a FF role as he is so lightly framed.

Also with Glass out there is a bigger chance for Kosi to exploit FF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I don't think you want him at FF.

His weapons are his pace and athleticism....so keep in space on the big ground where he can run and present and be a linking target when required. Hopefully his size will causea math up problem.

Even with Glass out I don't think you want him in a FF role as he is so lightly framed.

Also with Glass out there is a bigger chance for Kosi to exploit FF.
i'm talking about bj, not stanley sRs.

as for kosi, if he's to remain a key forward I hope he starts watching the ball as it is coming towards him. for a bloke with good hands he's spilling far too many easy marks and i reckon this must be a factor.

zac is suffering the same fate at the other end. he's an excellent defender when he plays the ball and a poor one when he's sucked into the body on body stuff.

watch the damn ball, boys.