Jarryn Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn Geary

Where is he at? He got a rising star nomination 12 months ago and then faded. And I guess a lot of us thought he might rediscover thta form again this year. Doesn't seem to be happening.

Anyone got any theories on him ?

Maybe he just needs to be told to go out and play and have fun. Some guys need that from time to time. You cant harp on about "saints footy" week in week out. For some players thats like an anchor.

Just theory. I really have no idea. But hes not really stepping up and helping us win games. Hes just kind of battling his way through. I know he tries. But we need more than that to win games. We need some flair and run.

I guess in his defence he has only played 33 games and the conventional thinking tells us most players need 50 games to be any good. So maybe we just need to keep playing him and wait until 2011 for him to be a senior player (it took monty, grammy and bj about that long).

deadman walking
Club Player

he cost us a few goals on sunday

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

he's one of the few that has good kicking skills, can mark, run and tackle. I like him as a player and can see him becoming a good midfielder in time, maybe very good. You can't blame him for much

Another opportunity awaits!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarryn Geary

Con Gorozidis wrote:Where is he at? He got a rising star nomination 12 months ago and then faded. And I guess a lot of us thought he might rediscover thta form again this year. Doesn't seem to be happening.
really?

i think he's been good this year. playing a very similar role to nathan burke in the early years - back pocket/defensive mid. he's been very hard at it and generally very good without the ball. the only criticism could be that he hasn't quite got the ball enough and has made some mistakes - but not on his lonesome there.

i think he's developing well and still earning his spot in the side.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Jarryn is never going to be a star however he looks like a solid player and that is fine. I am not a fan of him defending one on one however with time he will develop into a role he should/will play most weeks.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Where is he at? He got a rising star nomination 12 months ago and then faded. And I guess a lot of us thought he might rediscover thta form again this year. Doesn't seem to be happening.
really?

i think he's been good this year. playing a very similar role to nathan burke in the early years - back pocket/defensive mid. he's been very hard at it and generally very good without the ball. the only criticism could be that he hasn't quite got the ball enough and has made some mistakes - but not on his lonesome there.

fair enough. lacks a bit of penetration in his kicking. but i do see him as long termer. i guess i am just impatient and anxious about winning a flag this year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
really?

fair enough. lacks a bit of penetration in his kicking. but i do see him as long termer. i guess i am just impatient and anxious about winning a flag this year.
I'm with you, I think he has been ordinary, but needs to be persevered with, as we have few on our list at his height and speed that can be defensive.

Legendary
Club Player

I think he has been pretty good, last year he was used in an offensive role as a wing/half-forward pushing into the midfield, and as a result his ball use was more noticeable.

He's winning the same amount of the footy this year, but he's been performing some important defensive jobs on opposition players - probably why he seems quieter, although IMO his contribution to the team has been pretty good.

SaintWal
Club Player

Team orientated Football.

I think Geary could be an absolute gun at some other clubs, say the Bombers, the team orientated defence of the Saints may not allow him to shine the way he may have done. This is not a slight on the Saints but more a pat on the back to Geary playing the team role.

Batnoe
Club Player

playing well. seems to play taller than his height

can he play forward after learning the backline?

Carn Saints
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:he's one of the few that has good kicking skills, can mark, run and tackle. I like him as a player and can see him becoming a good midfielder in time, maybe very good. You can't blame him for much
Are you talking about Jarryn Geary?
I think his kicking is his worst attribute.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Moccha wrote:he's one of the few that has good kicking skills, can mark, run and tackle. I like him as a player and can see him becoming a good midfielder in time, maybe very good. You can't blame him for much
Are you talking about Jarryn Geary?
I think his kicking is his worst attribute.

some people are a little carried away im afraid. his kicking is weak as p*ss.

saint58
Club Player

Anyone got any theories on him ?

Maybe he just needs to be told to go out and play and have fun. Some guys need that from time to time. You cant harp on about "saints footy" week in week out. For some players thats like an anchor.

Just theory. I really have no idea. But hes not really stepping up and helping us win games. Hes just kind of battling his way through. I know he tries. But we need more than that to win games. We need some flair and run.

I notice he has bulked up a bit dont know if that has affected it he allso doesnt attact the ball as hard as he did last year maybe injured slightly.!

I guess in his defence he has only played 33 games and the conventional thinking tells us most players need 50 games to be any good. So maybe we just need to keep playing him and wait until 2011 for him to be a senior player (it took monty, grammy and bj about that long).

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think he has been good for us

Banger724
Club Player

Legendary wrote:I think he has been pretty good, last year he was used in an offensive role as a wing/half-forward pushing into the midfield, and as a result his ball use was more noticeable.

He's winning the same amount of the footy this year, but he's been performing some important defensive jobs on opposition players - probably why he seems quieter, although IMO his contribution to the team has been pretty good.
+1.

Once he gets past that 50-game mark as was touched on, may well flourish into another quality midfield rotation, as Montagna did after a few years in the side.

derby Street
Club Player

I think you got 2 out of the 4. Surprised he hasn't copped a bit on this site as last game certainly wasn't one of his best - in fact very ordinary. I reckon he has dropped off a bit in last few games (and yes not on his Pat Malone) :) I suspect he will only be a GOP - nothing would please me more for him to get to the next level but be amazed.

eel33
Club Player

I sometimes wonder if we are too quick to judge younger players without knowing more facts, such as state of injuries, illness, etc. I'm not surprised Geary has been a little down on form the last couple of weeks. I saw him in the chemist in Cheltenham a few days before the Carlton game, where he was picking up a prescription. Looked and sounded sick as a dog with flu or similar.

I for one am expecting a much better game from him this week. And I like the way he goes about it - adds a bit of hardness which is good to see in a younger member of the team. We still need a few more to display that edge that keeps opposition players honest.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I like him for the things that he does, that shows he is a team player.

The human canonball against Freo
First to fly the flag for Jones when targetted by Harry O
A ripper smother that I cannot recall at this very moment

He will be good for us, I think what he lacks in silky skills, he makes up in other ways.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

eel33 wrote:I sometimes wonder if we are too quick to judge younger players without knowing more facts, such as state of injuries, illness, etc. I'm not surprised Geary has been a little down on form the last couple of weeks. I saw him in the chemist in Cheltenham a few days before the Carlton game, where he was picking up a prescription. Looked and sounded sick as a dog with flu or similar.
how can we possibly know more facts? it's not as if the club is exactly forthcoming with this sort of stuff.

if they pick him in the side and put him out on the field then we should judge him on that basis.

that said, i didn't think he was too bad last week, and against carlton he just needed to kick one of the two goals. he was quiet against the dogs, though.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I really like the way Geary plays and, this time last year, was inclined to believe Nettlefold when he talked him up as being "something special", "a beauty", etc (I think it was around the time of the Monday night game against the Pies, which was probably Geary's best for the club so far).

However, since then we have seen Geary's limitations come to the fore. He's really good at getting the ball, but not so good at doing something with it.

I guess this is what all the club talent scouts picked up about Geary when he was a junior and explains why he ended up on our rookie list rather than being picked up by someone in the regular draft.

I still think he is a potential long-term prospect for us, and wouldn't be surprised to see him play well over 100 games. But, if he reaches his full potential as a small defender/defensive midfielder, I suspect he's going to end up in the Baker/Blake category rather than in the top drawer with the likes of Aussie Jones and Luke Hodge.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I think he has been good for us

well i guess the coach agrees with me that hes not playing well.