You're Ross Lyon - What do you do?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:hey!
stop getting off topic!!!

:twisted:
Sorry dude...

My favourite pen... and if you look closely you'll see the red, white and black!

It is definitely part of the answer.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

markp wrote:

Sorry dude...

My favourite pen... and if you look closely you'll see the red, white and black!

It is definitely part of the answer.
Oh My god, you're so right.... how did none of us think of that?!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Exactly!

Move BJ here; move Fisher there. As if that's going to improve things!!!

Now back on topic, I think when it comes to the grand plans you have proposed there can be only 1 answer:

BUTCHER'S PAPER

That's where all good ideas begin 8-)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we have a winner 8-)

stairwaytoheaven
Club Player

My thoughts would be to bring in stanley and alternate Kosi and gardiner ruck and full forawrd.
Stanley is quick and tall and kosi gets into the game more when he plays in the ruck.
Send fisher back to the backline he really helps our back strcture.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

In case you're late to the thread I've tried a visual summary of what we need to do.

After dropping several players and putting Walsh in the centre of our defensive flood, we play through the corridor to the mega mobile Stanley (who we know will out run the rest of the AFL), who carries it 100m all the way to Goddard and Gilbert, who are both released up forward under Ross' new "green pen" strategy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

That's the sort of fancy presentation that makes unbelievers believe... well done!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:In case you're late to the thread I've tried a visual summary of what we need to do.

After dropping several players and putting Walsh in the centre of our defensive flood, we play through the corridor to the mega mobile Stanley (who we know will out run the rest of the AFL), who carries it 100m all the way to Goddard and Gilbert, who are both released up forward under Ross' new "green pen" strategy.

cowboy, Tommy has only played about 5 or 6 games of Aussie Rules in his life :shock:

Give him another week at Sandy for God's sake!

After that, your plan should work a treat. 8-)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

cowboy18 wrote:In case you're late to the thread I've tried a visual summary of what we need to do.

This post is so full of win!

I think I lost my job for laughing on the phone to a customer!!!!

Saints43
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Robbing Peter to pay Paul IMO.
Why don't we rob Peter and Paul?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

cowboy18 wrote:

A true visionary. This will revolutionise AFL coaching for the next 10 years.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Now we just need that in powerpoint format and we may be able to sell it to the masses.

Along with nail beds and all juice diets.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:Now we just need that in powerpoint format and we may be able to sell it to the masses.

Along with nail beds and all juice diets.
We'll be rich!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If I were Ross I would think about the following...

The fact teams are successfully cutting up his zone with handball from HB into the centre and kicking long into an open 50 and winning the footrace back towards goal...

Why our footskills are so disgusting....even from Lenny...who was extremely wasteful in his kicking over the last two weeks...we have the most goals from turnovers in the AFL...

Why our shots on goal are so poor....Even Goddard is now missing..last two weeks accuracy????

Why we are getting beat in contested ball and tackles weekly...

Why we have the biggest/slowest backline ever known...land of the lumbering unskilled giants...

Why Kosi tries to bring the ball down (he purposely does this) and we have zero crumbers...even though we are meant to have three..

Why he let go three good players and has to deal with gumby's instead....

StSteven
Club Player

If I was Ross the first thing I would do would be to lock up all the sharp objects around the house......

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I wrote this on another thread, but it's appropriate here, so here it is again:
I think one thing may be to forget about the results for the time being and just get our ship back in order.
When this great run of ours started, it was all about the "process" and "the results would take care of themselves", and they did, but that seems to have changed. The sole focus (and it certainly is of many on here) seems to be on winning, but that doesn't usually happen unless you PLAY WELL. That needs to be the focus.
Time to forget about the scoreboard and the ladder and just learn to play well and with our 2009 intensity (or better), again. Then the wins will tick over. We'll win very few if we don't play well and we won't play well if we don't focus on doing so.
Something else that focusing so much on the scoreboard does, is mean we play "stop-start footy". We've done this an awful lot in the past 12 months. ie. we get in front and then stop attacking. This lets them back in, much too often. I'd much prefer we focused on playing "4 quarters of our 100% best footy" again, which again was a major focus a year or so ago. Geelong do this and they've been quite successful. When they get in front, they generally keep on going and smash whoever they're playing, while we generally stop attacking and very often let them back in.

As far as set-up goes, I'd be looking at what's worked best over the past 5 weeks and applying those things again and basically STICKING WITH THEM. Not chopping and changing every 5 minutes, which is killing us.
Of all those who've been tried forward, BJ and Sam Fisher have pretty clearly shown the most, so I'd be playing at least one of them forward most, if not all the time. I'd also be playing Kosi in the ruck more and asking him to push hard forward, when he does, and the same with Gardi.
We need to do what we know works and generally stick with it. Not find something that works and then change it ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it").
Another reason I'd be playing BJ forward (more than Fisher) is that I think Fisher is just "filling in" for Roo, while he's out. I expect he'd be going back to defense as soon as Roo returned. I'd rather have Goddard there and getting used to playing forward, so that he's able to continue playing forward (although further out- across half forward), when Roo comes back. This whole experience has shown us that we need to be much less reliant on Roo and I believe if we're to win this year's flag, we need someone like Goddard playing across half forward, with Roo and Kosi playing deep. Especially if Roo does not get back to playing his best this year.
Even with pretty much everything going our way, the set up we had didn't win us a flag last year (when Roo had a quiet granny) and I think it's even less likely to do so this year, since Geelong and Collingwood are even better and most teams have better worked out how best to play us.
So we need another major string to our bow and Goddard in a roaming role across half forward/pushing into the midfield would certainly give us that and take a load off Roo.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 19 May 2010 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
bigcarl wrote:we would have won on sunday with just one potent key forward.

you've got to give them a dangerous target to kick to. kosi and fisher do not provide that.

riewoldt did, but he will not be back for a couple of months. i'm wracking my brain to think of someone who might :wink:
They were dangerous. Both of them (or one) kick straight and we win. .

not dangerous enough to my mind. we had a fair bit more of the ball inside 50 than essendon and still couldn't kick a winning score.

also, if you can't kick straight you are not a dangerous forward.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

ah f*** I dunno. go the knuckle?

Nah. its frustrating, I dont have the inclination to go all analytical on the situation, but for christs sake, could we start with some sort of stability in the "structures". By the way, rule change for next year, that word should be banned.

And while were at it "shot on goal" as well.

Meh, Im off topic, and off to bed.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote: that word should be banned.

And while were at it "shot on goal" as well.
Right with you there. What the hell is a "Shot on goal"?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

rob peter AND paul??

stuff that put em in the pockets they might kick some friggin goals

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I think Ross finds the structure very pleasing. Espeically when our forwrads take a shot on goal. Wouldn't you agree, iwantmeseats?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Well, here we are again....

The last time we were in a real slump I posted this and many came up with some good ideas of what to do.....

Now we find ourselves in a similar position and once again it is up to the coach to work out how they will get us out of the mess..

One thing which I really like is he acknowledges and the players too acknowledge there is a real problem. They know what is going wrong and they know they need to rectify it. The first step is admitting you have a problem or in this case realising something isn't working.

Only once you know where you're going wrong can you work out how to fix it.

With four weeks left of the season that is enough time to get ourselves back into good form.

So what do we do now?

saint3d
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Well, here we are again....

The last time we were in a real slump I posted this and many came up with some good ideas of what to do.....

Now we find ourselves in a similar position and once again it is up to the coach to work out how they will get us out of the mess..

One thing which I really like is he acknowledges and the players too acknowledge there is a real problem. They know what is going wrong and they know they need to rectify it. The first step is admitting you have a problem or in this case realising something isn't working.

Only once you know where you're going wrong can you work out how to fix it.

With four weeks left of the season that is enough time to get ourselves back into good form.

So what do we do now?
I started reading this thread without looking at the date. It wasn't until I read a post about dropping Raph that I realised it was two months old.

So I would suggest doing the same thing they did back then to start a seven game winning streak.

markp
Saintsational Legend

We need to go like the clappers until top 4 is a lock.

For now, that is everything.