Armo's attempted "bump" on Hille.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:You can't question Armo's hardness, or courage...

It was a judgement error thats all.

He chose to bump instead of tackle...no big issue imo.
Absolutely 100% correct.

Decisions are made in the heat of battle. Players have to make instant decisions eg do I try to mark or go the punch, do I tackle or put on a bump? If they stopped to think the contest would be over.

In this instance Armo made the wrong decision that's all. Querying his hardness or courage is simply laughable at best and libellous at worst.

Let's face it; you're either courageous or you're not. It doesn't change by the minute, or by the quarter, or by the week. And if you're not courageous, well you don't get involved in the stuff that 99.9999999% of all AFL players, including Armo, do. :evil:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo is proven as a tough hard tackling nut, so I don't care about the odd soft attempt. Let's question the team hardness rather than individuals

Beej
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Is this what we are up to now. Questioning a players courage. hahaha you guys are awesome. What did you want him to do to Mcveigh, wait till he picked it up and then ask him to fall over. Are you guys serious. You obviously arn't saints supporters because Mcveigh got pinned for jumping in on Dal Santos head and we got a goal out of it.
yeah dave a Mcq you guys are s*** for giving away a high tackle and us getting a goal out of it.
If they didn't go that hard I bet you punces would be questioning him then.As for Hill, I guess being wrong footed doesn't count for much.

I wander who else is in the leading tacklers for Saints.

I really hope Dave pays no atttention to some of you expert footballers or maybe he should. You guys seem to be able to do better. :roll: :roll: :roll:
A midfielder getting wrong-footed by a 7 foot tall lumbering ruckman with the turning circle of the Queen Mary and who's only recently back from a serious knee injury? Armitage is better than that.

It was a mistake - a bad one - that's what it was.
Well I'd like to question some other peoples soft attempts at tackling or even soft attempts at putting a players soft attempt in the spotlight.
Does it even bother you when we lose? As long as Armitage plays a good game, you're really not fussed are you?

If he left the club, would you continue to support us?
Are you serious you clown. You are having a go at a young players courage and opening it up to a public discussion to emphasise it.
Where you there when David went in with his head over the ball got knocked out and had to have his ear repaired and re-attached by a plastic surgeon. Where you there when a 110 kg monster elbowed him straight in the head and knocked him senseless.
If I didn't care whether Saint Kilda lost or won then why would I bother to get onto this site to listen to people like you. I actually Barrack for North Melbourne but because I have an interest in someone close to me I'm now not worthy of commenting on this forum. Good one
I'll back David to the end especially from people like you who start posts on his courage.
To be honest I'm not even sure why there are so many posts about David.
Why don't you find something useful to talk about like the lack of depth in the saint Kilda team at the moment and some of the players that are playing like they are in Under 17's.

If you'd like to discuss it further them PM me otherwise how about supporting your team and the PLAYERS that play for SAINT KILDA.

Absolutely Pathetic
Be honest. You couldn't care less whether we win or lose as long as Armitage plays a good game. If he left you would simply sign up on a fan forum of his next club and scan for posts about him making sure nobody has a pop exactly like you do on here.

You were probably barracking for Geelong in last year's grand final in the hope that your brother didn't miss out on a medallion.

What's pathetic is that you haven't even bothered to learn the correct spelling of the club your brother plays for. It's not and never has been SAINT Kilda.

I stand by what I said, whether you like it or not, IMO that effort on Sunday was soft.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:I actually think Armo is one of our more aggressive players, I wouldn't question his courage at all.

He made a mistake, I'd back him that he wouldn't make it again.
That was one instance from him and the first that I've seen since he joined the club where the hardness that he obviously has wasn't on display.

As I said above, Armo is nothing if not tough. He's as tough as they come, but that effort on Sunday was soft.
Very tough.

I opt for mistake rather than soft...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:I actually think Armo is one of our more aggressive players, I wouldn't question his courage at all.

That was one instance from him and the first that I've seen since he joined the club where the hardness that he obviously has wasn't on display.

As I said above, Armo is nothing if not tough. He's as tough as they come, but that effort on Sunday was soft.
Very tough.

Anybody who's played footy would know that, in that situation, you elect to bump when you don't feel like getting hurt.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Is this what we are up to now. Questioning a players courage. hahaha you guys are awesome. What did you want him to do to Mcveigh, wait till he picked it up and then ask him to fall over. Are you guys serious. You obviously arn't saints supporters because Mcveigh got pinned for jumping in on Dal Santos head and we got a goal out of it.
yeah dave a Mcq you guys are s*** for giving away a high tackle and us getting a goal out of it.
If they didn't go that hard I bet you punces would be questioning him then.As for Hill, I guess being wrong footed doesn't count for much.

I really hope Dave pays no atttention to some of you expert footballers or maybe he should. You guys seem to be able to do better. :roll: :roll: :roll:
A midfielder getting wrong-footed by a 7 foot tall lumbering ruckman with the turning circle of the Queen Mary and who's only recently back from a serious knee injury? Armitage is better than that.

Well I'd like to question some other peoples soft attempts at tackling or even soft attempts at putting a players soft attempt in the spotlight.
Does it even bother you when we lose? As long as Armitage plays a good game, you're really not fussed are you?

Are you serious you clown. You are having a go at a young players courage and opening it up to a public discussion to emphasise it.
Where you there when David went in with his head over the ball got knocked out and had to have his ear repaired and re-attached by a plastic surgeon. Where you there when a 110 kg monster elbowed him straight in the head and knocked him senseless.
If I didn't care whether Saint Kilda lost or won then why would I bother to get onto this site to listen to people like you. I actually Barrack for North Melbourne but because I have an interest in someone close to me I'm now not worthy of commenting on this forum. Good one
I'll back David to the end especially from people like you who start posts on his courage.
Why don't you find something useful to talk about like the lack of depth in the saint Kilda team at the moment and some of the players that are playing like they are in Under 17's.

If you'd like to discuss it further them PM me otherwise how about supporting your team and the PLAYERS that play for SAINT KILDA.

Absolutely Pathetic
Be honest. You couldn't care less whether we win or lose as long as Armitage plays a good game. If he left you would simply sign up on a fan forum of his next club and scan for posts about him making sure nobody has a pop exactly like you do on here.

You were probably barracking for Geelong in last year's grand final in the hope that your brother didn't miss out on a medallion.

What's pathetic is that you haven't even bothered to learn the correct spelling of the club your brother plays for. It's not and never has been SAINT Kilda.

I stand by what I said, whether you like it or not, IMO that effort on Sunday was soft.
What I find ammusing is that I rarely see many of your posts but you can come out and bag a young player playing AFL football.
Why wouldn't I stand up for him against a pathetic supporter like you.
Out of all the soft attempts that came out of that game you chose to open a discussion about one player.
You can say what you want about me and my supporting the Saints but quite frankly if supporting the saints meant having to listen to or stand aside someone like yourself I'd rather not bother.
As I said before I barrack for North Melbourne.
I didn't barrack for Geelong last year because they are a boring football team.

To be honest I hope Dave doesn't play anymore games this year because he obviously doesn't have the support of the SO CALLED saints supporters who are supposed to BARACKING for their team.

Why don't you get a petition together and see if Ross will take him out of the side for you. Or better yet why don't you go down to the ground and ask David if he would like to step aside for the next couple of games as you would like to have a go to show that you arn't just tough on a football website and can back it up.

I really couldn't be bothered with you. I've actually got some other posts to read that actually talk about football and are more interesting and constructive than your dribble.

Davids overall game at the moment is lacking in some areas. I agree but to come out and publicly question a young players hardness and courage while sitting behind a computer is the softest thing I have ever heard of

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He has my support, he is integral to us making anything of this season, and he needs to really win some contested ball and help out Lenny.

I thought something clicked in the last quarter against Freo, he needs to watch the replay and that should be his standard from here on in.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:

Absolutely Pathetic

What I find ammusing is that I rarely see many of your posts but you can come out and bag a young player playing AFL football.
Out of all the soft attempts that came out of that game you chose to open a discussion about one player.
You can say what you want about me and my supporting the Saints but quite frankly if supporting the saints meant having to listen to or stand aside someone like yourself I'd rather not bother.

To be honest I hope Dave doesn't play anymore games this year because he obviously doesn't have the support of the SO CALLED saints supporters who are supposed to BARACKING for their team.

Why don't you get a petition together and see if Ross will take him out of the side for you. Or better yet why don't you go down to the ground and ask David if he would like to step aside for the next couple of games as you would like to have a go to show that you arn't just tough on a football website and can back it up.

I really couldn't be bothered with you. I've actually got some other posts to read that actually talk about football and are more interesting and constructive than your dribble.

Davids overall game at the moment is lacking in some areas. I agree but to come out and publicly question a young players hardness and courage while sitting behind a computer is the softest thing I have ever heard of
Haha, you aren't half a drama queen, but I completely understand as you have an obvious conflict of interest here.

I'm a big fan of Armitage, in a previous thread I remember stating that he could be to us what Max Rooke and Campbell Brown are to their respective clubs. He's always more than willing to put in a good shift but that single effort was soft and very unlike what he has shown for us since he got to the club which is what I found most disappointing about it.

It's my opinion, deal with it and but if it upsets you I make no apologies.

Footballers will come and go and if you were a St Kilda supporter you would know that the club comes before any footballer regardless of whether he's a mate/brother/sister of yours.

TBH I couldn't care less who's in the side as long as long as the side is successful which is something you may not understand as you aren't a supporter of the club.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:

Very tough.

Anybody who's played footy would know that, in that situation, you elect to bump when you don't feel like getting hurt.
Really I reckon bumping hurts more then tackling

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Beej wrote:
What a load of crap!!

If you commit to bump someone who is nearly a foot taller and about 25 kgs heavier it hurts.

And IF you actually do play footy and get to contest like that and have enough time to decide if you want to get hurt or not maybe you should stop taking baby steps and attack the ball harder. Tackling or bumping is a split second decision which unfortunately Armo got wrong this time. Get over it, it happens.

It has nothing to do with being soft! Just a poor choice thats all.
Last edited by IluvHarvey on Tue 18 May 2010 2:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed clarky

just a split sec choice to bump or tackle.
he decided to bump, and running into a big bloke full bore is going to hurt more then trying to wrap him up imo.

armos a tough nut and i think he should be in our starting 22 tbh

DWOODROW
Club Player

Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:

Absolutely Pathetic

Haha, you aren't half a drama queen, but I completely understand as you have an obvious conflict of interest here.

I'm a big fan of Armitage, in a previous thread I remember stating that he could be to us what Max Rooke and Campbell Brown are to their respective clubs. He's always more than willing to put in a good shift but that single effort was soft and very unlike what he has shown for us since he got to the club which is what I found most disappointing about it.

It's my opinion, deal with it and but if it upsets you I make no apologies.

Footballers will come and go and if you were a St Kilda supporter you would know that the club comes before any footballer regardless of whether he's a mate/brother/sister of yours.

TBH I couldn't care less who's in the side as long as long as the side is successful which is something you may not understand as you aren't a supporter of the club.

I suppose I should take down the Saints jumpers I have framed and hanging on my wall then. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

The particular effort is not what I am getting worked up about. If I know Dave he would be absolutely beside himself and replaying it in his head over and over.
I am upset that you have opened it up and made an example of him to the Saints community. Do you think no one else saw the game.'
There is at least 2 other players that I could speak of and give you there names whose efforts would or should be made examples of. I won't and chose not to because what good does it do other thasn make yourself sound like you can do better.
I guess I should cancel my membership now as well.
Geez I'm going backwards here.
Not allowed to show my support for a young player.
Not allowed to comment on ST KILDA ( there you go ) because I am not a supporter
and not allowed because I might upset you.

People say things about David all the time and to be honest I really have no idea why.
He is still learning the game at AFL level.
He hasn't played to the level of Lenny Hayes or other midfielders in the team.
He has been givin an opportunity to play now that ball is gone and is doing just that having a go.

I don't care about your opinion, you are entitled to it, but I question your character for the post and just maybe Dave will provide you with something you are impressed with.

After all it's supposed to be a TEAM effort so if he was soft what is it saying about the team at the moment. Apart from Lenny Hayes who is an absolute champion I don't know who else is giving it there all.

Junior
Club Player

This thread is a joke.

David Armitage like most footballers may have some limitations to his game, lacking courage is not one of them.

Split second decision that he got wrong, have seen enough of the kid to know he has a heap of courage. When i saw it at the game was annoyed as it was the wrong decision never for a moment did I think I pulled out of the contest.

Always puts his head over the ball and this is true courage.

By the way not the first time this year one of our players has gone to bump when he should have tackled.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, particularly on a forum such as this.

However having read the various posts, IMHO some of the comments (some may refer to them as an attack) to DWOODROW are uncalled for.

A forum requires many, many OPs to feed the ferocious appetites of the members so it's natural that some will look for topics that have not already been done to death. However a thread totally dedicated to analysing the intent of one players particular action, in a particular quarter of a particular game, is probably a bit OOT.

And given some of the comments, it is to be totally expected that a member of that player's family would respond in the manner that DWOODROW did.

Once again, IMO, the Armo “incidentâ€

matrix
Saintsational Legend

luckily... we have a four colored pen and a green highlighter 8-)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:luckily... we have a four colored pen and a green highlighter 8-)

And some people say the cupboard is bare! :lol:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Did you see the hit on Mcveigh though, that was tough
is that tongue in cheek?
Mcveigh was head over the ball and got collected head high by Armo and McQualter(?) front on, then Mcveigh gets pinged.
I suggest you watch again.

McVeigh, Heyne and Armo all attacked the ball. McVeigh got there first and was immediately hit in the chest by Armo's shoulder coming the other way. Great footy.

McVeigh wanting to look tough, decided to go on jump on someone's back 30m out from our goal to demonstrate what a man he is.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Beej
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:The particular effort is not what I am getting worked up about. If I know Dave he would be absolutely beside himself and replaying it in his head over and over.

I am upset that you have opened it up and made an example of him to the Saints community.
I don't think you understand the whole point of a discussion forum. If you're here because you want to read nothing but praise for a footballer following a bad game, I suggest maybe this isn't the place for you.

If you can't handle anybody else's opinion but your own, what are you doing on an open forum?
Dr Spaceman wrote:However a thread totally dedicated to analysing the intent of one players particular action, in a particular quarter of a particular game, is probably a bit OOT.

And if we’re going to analyse all the errors made each week, well be prepared for some very, very long nights. :roll:
There have actually been countless threads in the past regarding a player's intent - whether it be an opposition player shirking a contest (Gibbs/Josh Hunt) or Lance Franklin/Matthew Lloyd v Cousins/Sewell last year.

I think what you meant to say was, "a thread totally dedicated to analysing the intent of one St Kilda player's particular action is OTT".

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:There have actually been countless threads in the past regarding a player's intent - whether it be an opposition player shirking a contest (Gibbs/Josh Hunt) or Lance Franklin/Matthew Lloyd v Cousins/Sewell last year.
Yeah, but they're funny :lol:

DWOODROW
Club Player

Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:The particular effort is not what I am getting worked up about. If I know Dave he would be absolutely beside himself and replaying it in his head over and over.

I am upset that you have opened it up and made an example of him to the Saints community.
I don't think you understand the whole point of a discussion forum. If you're here because you want to read nothing but praise for a footballer following a bad game, I suggest maybe this isn't the place for you.

If you can't handle anybody else's opinion but your own, what are you doing on an open forum?
Dr Spaceman wrote:However a thread totally dedicated to analysing the intent of one players particular action, in a particular quarter of a particular game, is probably a bit OOT.

And if we’re going to analyse all the errors made each week, well be prepared for some very, very long nights. :roll:
There have actually been countless threads in the past regarding a player's intent - whether it be an opposition player shirking a contest (Gibbs/Josh Hunt) or Lance Franklin/Matthew Lloyd v Cousins/Sewell last year.

I think what you meant to say was, "a thread totally dedicated to analysing the intent of one St Kilda player's particular action is OTT".
Oh I get it now. If I don't believe someone should be questioned over an incident that YOU have come up with as being soft and don't agree with YOU that it was soft then I shouldn't be on here.
You make it so clear.
Great to know you are out there licking windows and breathing air.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Really I reckon bumping hurts more then tackling
In regards to the player on the receiving end of a good bump or tackle, it definitely hurts more to be bumped. The hip/shoulder is a lot harder than the chest/stomach/arm.

However, for the player actually delivering a bump or tackle, it hurts a lot more to tackle, for the exact same reasons above.

This point is not even debatable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:

Oh I get it now. If I don't believe someone should be questioned over an incident that YOU have come up with as being soft and don't agree with YOU that it was soft then I shouldn't be on here.
You make it so clear.
I dont agree Armo was soft, he just made an error of judgement but DWOODROW you have got to just sometimes cop that Armo is going to get bagged occasionally just as he gets praise for at this stage and to be totally honest not really doing a lot. You had a go at me about 6 weeks ago because I said at this stage he is an average player. Well I dont want to be proven correct but 8 weeks in i have been. Hope in the next 16 weeks I am proven incorrect. I know it is hard but you cant take things personnally but if you are going to maybe, so you dont get upset, have a rest from SS especially when Armo doesnt have a great game.

Saintsfan
Club Player

This thread is garbage and Beej is picking on Droddrordoro. So why bother?

It's obvious the friend from north is Urqhart as well.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Beej
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:

You make it so clear.
Not quite, but you're almost there. My point is that you should just be prepared that some of us have opinions that you may not agree with so rather than having an almighty sook about it, which you have done (you are one world class drama queen btw), maybe just do your best to leave it.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Beej wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Beej wrote:

You make it so clear.
Not quite, but you're almost there. My point is that you should just be prepared that some of us have opinions that you may not agree with so rather than having an almighty sook about it, which you have done (you are one world class drama queen btw), maybe just do your best to leave it.
You labelled Armitage soft sunshine so maybe that is why he is annoyed at you.

So do yourself a favour and leave it sunshine.

The Saintsfan Cometh