3 don't go into 2!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3:16
Club Player

3 don't go into 2!!!!!

It's time, one of the following 3 has to be dropped, #44, #13 or #32!!!!!

To carry all three is not working, can play 2 but not 3!!!!!

Better off dropping one and playing either someone with more leg speed or someone whom can gives us a medium sized 3rd marking target!!!!!

For what it is worth, golden handshake time for Mini, well done, got the best out of yourself, but to be fair game has gone past ya!!!!!

Stick with Heyne or play Stanley is a different type, but can create the same amount of forward pressure, but sadly for you has alot more wheels!!!!!

Thanks for PAA in 2009 Mini!!!!!
Last edited by 3:16 on Tue 25 May 2010 2:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
fingers
Saintsational Legend

PAA ?

Club Player

fingers wrote:PAA ?
Playing Above Ability!!!!!

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Playing Above Ability ?

Playing Above Average ?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree that the small forwards haven't been in good form, I even think Armo showed more form as a goal sneak against the Doggies.

However if I was to be fair, there has not been much opportunity over the past few weeks, and it has probably resulted in them being a bit stale.

2 goals from 3 crumbers was poor, and I think the finger should be pointed somewhat at them for the ball easily rebounding.

Not sure it's all over for Mini though, that is very extreme and a little harsh, and they wouldn't have made him a leader of the club unless they thought he was capable of a lot better.

Actually looking forward to Milne showing LeCras just how to be a small forward on Sunday.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Drop Armo

He's soft apparently

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I agree with the original post. I think Milne is pretty safe, but one or both of McQualter and Schneider may need a rest, or a different role elsewhere. Jack Steven and David Armitage have seemed more lively up forward, but personally I'd prefer a medium or tall marking option.

yipper
SS Life Member

Agree with ya stonecold, but not sure if the game has actually gone past mini yet..

He is certainly down on his 2009 output that is certain. Did he punch above his weight?? Time will tell.

Steven, Stanley and stick with Heyne are the go for now. Watch for Jesse Smith to slot back in later in the year and welcome back skipper in around 6-7 weeks.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
doppler effect
Club Player

Re: 3 don't go into 2!!!!!

3:16 wrote:It's time, one of the following 3 has to be dropped, #44, #13 or #32!!!!!

To carry all three is not working, can play 2 but not 3!!!!
I couldn't agree more. It's too many smalls.

I could understand having all three if they were a bit faster, but lets face it, they aint that quick.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I agree that the small forwards haven't been in good form, I even think Armo showed more form as a goal sneak against the Doggies.

However if I was to be fair, there has not been much opportunity over the past few weeks, and it has probably resulted in them being a bit stale.

2 goals from 3 crumbers was poor, and I think the finger should be pointed somewhat at them for the ball easily rebounding.

Not sure it's all over for Mini though, that is very extreme and a little harsh, and they wouldn't have made him a leader of the club unless they thought he was capable of a lot better.

Actually looking forward to Milne showing LeCras just how to be a small forward on Sunday.
I reckon it might be time to start planning for Mini to be a small defender rather than a defensive half forward?

We traditionally tend to struggle against small elusive forwrd flankers/pockets that are too quick for our 190cm defenders.
We basically play with one small defender (Bakes) adn an occasional assist from Geary.
Why not use Mini down back?
He can tackle
He can certainly pinpoint kicks to targets
He has enough pace to go with elusive forwrds (other than the absolute jets)
WHy not try adn turn him into a new Baker?

If that worked it would free up a slot on our forward line.

As it is, we have a vacancy in the midfield/hbf this week because it seems highly unlikely that Gram will play.

Why not rejig a little and see if ther is another altenative to teh current Mini/Milne/Schneider combo up forward, without losing Mini's value to the side?

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:I agree with the original post. I think Milne is pretty safe, but one or both of McQualter and Schneider may need a rest, or a different role elsewhere. Jack Steven and David Armitage have seemed more lively up forward, but personally I'd prefer a medium or tall marking option.
Schnadzo to HB......unleash that sithing Left Foot to set up play....Zone Buster.

Saintsfan
Club Player

People have been riding MCQ all season much to my disgust.

But then I realised I have not seen him all season apart from the goal he kicked in he last quarter on the weekend

To me...he has been invisible all year.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
SainterK wrote:I agree that the small forwards haven't been in good form, I even think Armo showed more form as a goal sneak against the Doggies.

I reckon it might be time to start planning for Mini to be a small defender rather than a defensive half forward?

We traditionally tend to struggle against small elusive forwrd flankers/pockets that are too quick for our 190cm defenders.
We basically play with one small defender (Bakes) adn an occasional assist from Geary.
He can tackle

As it is, we have a vacancy in the midfield/hbf this week because it seems highly unlikely that Gram will play.

Why not rejig a little and see if ther is another altenative to teh current Mini/Milne/Schneider combo up forward, without losing Mini's value to the side?
I like it MM, at least while we are only playing one tall in the forward line at the moment, 3 crumbers is probably just too many.

OTC last night highlighted Baker, Blake and Zac for being more likely to handball than kick.

Gwilt and Mini down there would do much to improve the backlines ability to hit a target, rather than always relying on a Gilbert to try and shimmy his way out of there.

If anyone needed a new role to freshen them up a little, it's Mini.
Last edited by SainterK on Tue 18 May 2010 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

He can tackle

Could be worth a look, cause one of the small forwards has to be left out of the forward setup, it just don't work any longer!!!!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
He can tackle
Disagree on the pace. Indeed this is one reason why Mini is struggling in 2010. Quick ball movement, and often open forward lines, is leaving him struggling.

Baker will not be dropped and so to also play Mini back would result in a real pace issue down back.

And on pinpointing. Yes last year Mini was good. This year unfortunately his passing and shots on goal have both been poor, as has his decision making.

Now yes right heere and now he probably would be more effective down back than forward. But what then of Baker?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 18 May 2010 5:06pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:I agree with the original post. I think Milne is pretty safe, but one or both of McQualter and Schneider may need a rest, or a different role elsewhere. Jack Steven and David Armitage have seemed more lively up forward, but personally I'd prefer a medium or tall marking option.
Goals are becoming difficult to find in this Rooless period.

Whilst all 3 players mentioned are not enjoying great seasons it is my view that:

Milne on any given day can light up and kick a bag
Schneider on any given day can light up and kick a bag
Mini on any given day can play well and kick a goal

So for me, if one needs to go this week it is #32.

I don't go along with the game passing him by, but he is nonetheless playing below his best and, IMO, other options should be explored.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Milne?? Seriously?? :roll: I can sort of see where you're coming though.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

milney score 7 points in sc this week

so i traded schneides as he was worth more :D

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Anyone got the stats on forward tackling between the three. Milne improved on this last year. Don't think he got a tackle Sunday. Alot of goals came from this 09.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
He can tackle
Diagree on the pace. Indeed this is one reason why Mini is struggling in 2010. Quick ball movement and often open forward lines is leaving him struggling.

Baker will not be dropped and so to also play Mini back would result inareal pace issue down back.

And on pinpointing. Yes last year Mini was good. This year unfortunately his passing and sots on goal have been both poor, as has his decision making.

Now yes right hear and now he probably would be more effective down back than forward. But what then of Baker?
I wasn't advocating Mini in place of Baker - I think Bakes has been great this year.

I was thinking of Mini in addition to Bakes, giving us another permanent small defender.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Anyone got the stats on forward tackling between the three. Milne improved on this last year. Don't think he got a tackle Sunday. Alot of goals came from this 09.
Milne had 12 disp / laid no tackles / 1 goal 2 behinds
Mini had 11 disp / one tackle / 1 goal
Schneider had 20 disp / 3 tackles / 1 behind

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I was thinking of Mini in addition to Bakes, giving us another permanent small defender.
That gives us two smallish defenders with pedestrian pace.

Bakes makes up for it with his judgment and aggression.

Geary may be a better bet, as his leap is better. ie spoiling ability is important fora backman.
This week Lyon could drop Zac and move Mini back...but I don't think he will drop Zac (though I would).

Damn shame that Miles is injured at present. A player of his size and pace is what you need down back.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 18 May 2010 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Anyone got the stats on forward tackling between the three. Milne improved on this last year. Don't think he got a tackle Sunday. Alot of goals came from this 09.
these aren't specifically forward tackles, but something like this:

2008: Milne 1.5, Schneider 2.3, McQualter 3.4 = TOTAL 7.2
2009: Milne 2.8, Schneider 4.8, McQualter 4.7 = TOTAL 12.3
2010: Milne 1.1, Schneider 3.0, McQualter 3.6 = TOTAL 7.7

pretty big difference between last year and the other two years, including so far this year - but in fact mini's been closer to the mark than the other two.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
He can tackle
Diagree on the pace. Indeed this is one reason why Mini is struggling in 2010. Quick ball movement and often open forward lines is leaving him struggling.

Baker will not be dropped and so to also play Mini back would result inareal pace issue down back.

And on pinpointing. Yes last year Mini was good. This year unfortunately his passing and sots on goal have been both poor, as has his decision making.

Now yes right hear and now he probably would be more effective down back than forward. But what then of Baker?
Have to agree about Mini's pace. We seem fascinated with players who should be dropped moving to another position where they are suited. Mini I think will get a rest this week if we decide to go for Steven again which IMO we should especially at subi.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:People have been riding MCQ all season much to my disgust.

But then I realised I have not seen him all season apart from the goal he kicked in he last quarter on the weekend

To me...he has been invisible all year.
Got us over the line vs Western Bulldogs, people have short memory although that is one game

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93