Our "floating" players never cement a spot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Our "floating" players never cement a spot

Armo, Mac, Eddy...3 blokes who alternate between the Saints and Sandy, but seem to do very little when coming into the side.

Thought Armo and Mac were both very quiet and offered very little...but what of next week? Steven, Eddy and Raph come back and do the same?

We seem to be gathering apool of blokes who are showing up the vast difference between VFL and AFL footy. Play great footy for Sandy, get their chance, then get 9 touches and 4 mark for the Saints, go back to Sandy..etc etc.

We BADLY need one of these blokes to grab their chance by the scruff of the neck and demand they keep their spot

I fear for Minis spot this week...lets hope hes not another one to add to this list

..and yes, four of the above are first round draft picks :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our "floating" players never cement a spot

saint66au wrote:Armo, Mac, Eddy...3 blokes who alternate between the Saints and Sandy, but seem to do very little when coming into the side.

Thought Armo and Mac were both very quiet and offered very little...but what of next week? Steven, Eddy and Raph come back and do the same?

We seem to be gathering apool of blokes who are showing up the vast difference between VFL and AFL footy. Play great footy for Sandy, get their chance, then get 9 touches and 4 mark for the Saints, go back to Sandy..etc etc.

We BADLY need one of these blokes to grab their chance by the scruff of the neck and demand they keep their spot

I fear for Minis spot this week...lets hope hes not another one to add to this list

Yeah it's tough. Like I said in the other thread, why can't we get just one of our newer draft picks so have a sensational match. It seems every other side can do it, but who was our last?

Sam Fisher? Sam Gilbert? This is going back a few years...

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Armo, Mac, Eddy...3 blokes who alternate between the Saints and Sandy, but seem to do very little when coming into the side.

Totally agree, and the biggest shame is that Armo (late last year and NAB Cup), Big Mac (late last year) and Eddy (2008) have shown signs that they will hold down spots, only to fall out of form quickly.

The sad thing tonight was that Lenny, Dal, Joey, BJ, Blakey, CJ, Gardi and Gilbo were our best 8 players, and we went down.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm concerned now that Armo and Mac won't make the grade,which puts us well behind the 8 ball.....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'm concerned now that Armo and Mac won't make the grade,which puts us well behind the 8 ball.....
Yep, still no sign of annoying little running shytes that most other clubs have....armo isn't fast enough, neither is Eddy or anyone young on our list.

Remind who West Coast have.

No doubt another loss coming up in the West next Sunday....

We are too slow and one dimensional at the moment.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

I still have faith these guys can come good. They are young and its early games. Remember Goddard when he first started.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:I still have faith these guys can come good. They are young and its early games. Remember Goddard when he first started.
Never understood this line when it is trotted out here. Thought he was a gun the very first time I saw him,and he always showed a hell of a lot more than what any of our youngsters have in the last 5 years

Bring back the Lockett era
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:I still have faith these guys can come good. They are young and its early games. Remember Goddard when he first started.
Never understood this line when it is trotted out here. Thought he was a gun the very first time I saw him,and he always showed a hell of a lot more than what any of our youngsters have in the last 5 years
Remember Jones when he first started?

And Gilbert?

Dare I say it Blake?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
repta
Club Player

Goddard was slow starting but had exceptional skills. None of these marginal players are showing anything but being average players, which will end up either in obscurity or being a list clogger.
We had a truelly truelly awfull off season, Maguire is now staring, Ball is staring, Lovett (nothing to be said), Peake is a list clogger.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:

Yeah it's tough. Like I said in the other thread, why can't we get just one of our newer draft picks so have a sensational match. It seems every other side can do it, but who was our last?

and both of them took their time to develop

Surely sometime soon its our turn for a Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich or Cyril Rioli?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
battye
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
battye wrote:

Surely sometime soon its our turn for a Joel Selwood, Daniel Rich or Cyril Rioli?
Hopefully through inspired trading or amazing luck in the draft, and not because of ladder position this year :shock:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
battye wrote:

Or a Nick Riewoldt. Or Luke Ball. Or Justin Koschitzke. All were excellent within their first two years.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I agree that there just don't seem to be any distinct attributes that will make Armo, Eddy, Steven, Heyne, McQualter, Geary etc ever really make a mark on AFL level. In a successful side when they are simply holding up team structures while a group of stars win the games these players can look fine, but are exposed when more responsibility is shifted to them.

I'm concerned that they are being trained too defensively and are having creative flair drilled out of them, though it might just be the mould of player we have been recruiting.

To manage a decent win/loss ratio until 'The Return Of Roo' we need some of these guys to step up. Unfortunately Gwilt seems to be the only player on the list who has improved on their 2009 form.

battye
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I agree that there just don't seem to be any distinct attributes that will make Armo, Eddy, Steven, Heyne, McQualter, Geary etc ever really make a mark on AFL level. In a successful side when they are simply holding up team structures while a group of stars win the games these players can look fine, but are exposed when more responsibility is shifted to them.
I know exactly what you mean.

Out of that group you listed, still I wouldn't write off Armitage or Geary just yet. They still have played a low number of games and seem to have something about them, particularly Armitage.

McQualter is a useful player who I think will continue to play a role for the club.

Steven and Heyne - too early to tell.

Eddy hasn't done anything to suggest he'll be the next... hang on, what position does he even play? I'd say "defensive roamer" for lack of actually knowing.

McEvoy really worries me. He's been on the list a few years, only 14 or 15 games that's true... but as a ruckman he seems out of his depth and too slow around the ground, and as a forward doesn't seem at all potent.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I agree that there just don't seem to be any distinct attributes that will make Armo, Eddy, Steven, Heyne, McQualter, Geary etc ever really make a mark on AFL level. In a successful side when they are simply holding up team structures while a group of stars win the games these players can look fine, but are exposed when more responsibility is shifted to them.
I know exactly what you mean.

Out of that group you listed, still I wouldn't write off Armitage or Geary just yet. They still have played a low number of games and seem to have something about them, particularly Armitage.

McQualter is a useful player who I think will continue to play a role for the club.

Eddy hasn't done anything to suggest he'll be the next... hang on, what position does he even play? I'd say "defensive roamer" for lack of actually knowing.

McEvoy really worries me. He's been on the list a few years, only 14 or 15 games that's true... but as a ruckman he seems out of his depth and too slow around the ground, and as a forward doesn't seem at all potent.
Jury is out on all. It took time for Gwilt, and it'll take time for them.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I know exactly what you mean.

Armo could be a very useful player if he just got more of the ball. He drifts in and out of games and just hasn't been reliable at all. Maybe it's a matter of experience or TOG, but the only change in his game since the early days is that he's kicking less goals.

McQualter's year probably wouldn't look much different to his last if he just converted his opportunities in front of goal. However, he had a very comfortable role in the Riewoldt-oriented forward line and this hsa been thrown out of order in his absence. Mini is now having to take more marks and making less tackles, which doesn't suit him at all. This combined with the fact that opposition teams are more aware of his role has resulted in an ordinary start to the season. His saving grace is probably that there is no one at Sandy pushing him out of the side.

I had very high hopes for Geary after seeing him in the VFL in his first year at the club. He was skilled, reasonably quick and very creative. Now it seems he's becoming a second-rate Steven Baker. He's going ok, but I think he could be a much more damaging player if used differently.

Steven has looked pretty good in the few times I've seen him, but again I don't want to see him become a second-rate tagger, which seemed to be his role in his couple of senior games this year. Heyne has never really done anything that makes me think he'll be an AFL player. Skills are hit-and-miss, not quick enough to be a crumber and not tall enough to be a KPP. Very much in the Matthew Ferguson mould for me. Then again, those two are still very young and should be given opportunities.

Eddy is another who has never looked like he'll be anything more than a backup GOP. I'd rather give someone with skill or pace matches than a guy who has been tried and shown that he's not quite good enough to hold a spot and has little scope for improvement.

I think McEvoy is coming along ok. He hasn't made any great impact but he's just slowly improving all the time. I noticed today that his composure under pressure with the ball is very good and always manages to get a handball away when tackled. His ruckwork was poor to begin with but with training, experience and strength it is slowly coming up to scratch. All throughout the juniors he would have had it easy being one of the few giants with any co-ordination and now playing against men he's realised he can't get by just being tall and able to kick.

Winmar
Club Player

A lot of players don't really come on properly until they've played 50 games or so. What's Armo up to now?

Goddard has always had great skills, but his decision making was horrid early in his career. Thankfully he's turned into a star.

Eddy was only a rookie list player, wasn't he? We perhaps shouldn't expect a massive amount of him compared to those first round picks.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:Eddy was only a rookie list player, wasn't he? We perhaps shouldn't expect a massive amount of him compared to those first round picks.
Once a player is in the team, draft position is completely irrelevant. There's no point in putting extra pressure on early draft picks who aren't all they're cracked up to be and there's no point in giving special rewards to rookies for 'ok' efforts because they were cheap.

There is nothing to be gained from judging a player because of how they were recruited.