Gram?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gram?

Clearly wasn't fit.

Why on earth was he allowed to start the game?

Then there were all the weird matchups. It was a pretty odd off-field effort tonight.

The players tried their guts out but were seriously let down by the coaching staff. I really don't get what's going on.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gram?

meher baba wrote:Clearly wasn't fit.

Then there were all the weird matchups. It was a pretty odd off-field effort tonight.

The players tried their guts out but were seriously let down by the coaching staff. I really don't get what's going on.
Was injured during warm up. Didn't expect to see him come on at all and was surprised that he did.

If you noticed him on the bench in the second half, you would have seen he was heavily iced up.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
DWOODROW
Club Player

What do you mean wasn't fit tonight. He wasn't fit against the blues either but was allowed to play. Lyon's paying for it now with another player down for the count :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:

What do you mean wasn't fit tonight. He wasn't fit against the blues either but was allowed to play. Lyon's paying for it now with another player down for the count :roll:
So we are playing injured players. Dont that very much.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:The players tried their guts out but were seriously let down by the coaching staff. I really don't get what's going on.
Couldnt have said it better. Im a big RL fan, but the last 4 weeks since Roo's injury, he's baffled me with some of his decisions and tactics.

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:

What do you mean wasn't fit tonight. He wasn't fit against the blues either but was allowed to play. Lyon's paying for it now with another player down for the count :roll:[/quo

Don't that very much. I don't doubt ti at all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:

What do you mean wasn't fit tonight. He wasn't fit against the blues either but was allowed to play. Lyon's paying for it now with another player down for the count :roll:[/quo

Well you are wrong.

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:

Well you are wrong.
Are you sure

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:

Well you are wrong.
Are you sure
Yes 100%.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

St Kilda Football Club
Unfortunately Jason Gram has injured his left hamstring which was why he was unable to participate for most of the game. Hopefully it's not serious and he'll be back playing soon...

Saints facebook...

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

saint75 wrote:
Was injured during warm up. Didn't expect to see him come on at all and was surprised that he did.

If you noticed him on the bench in the second half, you would have seen he was heavily iced up.
I am surprised more hasn't been made of this.

I was sitting above the players race and towards the end of the warm up I saw him come off the ground with the Physio (I think) prior to the main group.

I can't believe we sent him out there to play afew minutes and then sit on the bench most of the game.

I am sure it was a caluclated risk by the club but come on, this is what emergencies are for. I know Gram is important to us, but being able to play Raph Clarke for a full game is a lot better than playing with 1 down for most of the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

They confirmed in the SC after the game that Gram was injured.

If it is a hammy in the game he would not have gone in with a hammy.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:

I was sitting above the players race and towards the end of the warm up I saw him come off the ground with the Physio (I think) prior to the main group.

I can't believe we sent him out there to play afew minutes and then sit on the bench most of the game.

I am sure it was a caluclated risk by the club but come on, this is what emergencies are for. I know Gram is important to us, but being able to play Raph Clarke for a full game is a lot better than playing with 1 down for most of the game.
As if we would have played an injured player in the game. He hurt his hammy during the second quarter.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:

As if we would have played an injured player in the game. He hurt his hammy during the second quarter.
Yes, he hurt his hammy in the second qtr, but was clearly struggling with something in the warm up. Went off with two physios and I too was surprised to see him come on. The said the niggle then was in the groin. Even though he came off for good in the second qtr, he was coming off for treatment right from the first few minutes. I was listening to the radio at the game and he went down the race with the dr and physio within a few minutes of the game starting. Did this four or five times until they finally pulled the pin.

Calculated risk, but bad decision and now we have lost him for weeks again.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Yes, he hurt his hammy in the second qtr, but was clearly struggling with something in the warm up. Went off with two physios and I too was surprised to see him come on. The said the niggle then was in the groin. Even though he came off for good in the second qtr, he was coming off for treatment right from the first few minutes. I was listening to the radio at the game and he went down the race with the dr and physio within a few minutes of the game starting. Did this four or five times until they finally pulled the pin.

Calculated risk, but bad decision and now we have lost him for weeks again.
How do you know it was a calculated risk. Players go down the race with trainers and physios all the time especially at training and then come on 2 minutes later. Raph was in the rooms warming up and if there even a slight doubt about Gram he would not have played.

saintnick12
Club Player

Based on the look of concern on his and the two physios faces when he went past me down the race in the warm up and the fact he was off again within a couple of minutes. He struggled right from the first minutes of the game, which indicates he wasn't right given all the concern before hand. I was expecting a late change. I sit right near the race. He looked unhappy (stressed?) even running onto the ground. It was clearly a risk and didn't pay off. Having said that, AFL clubs and players take these types of risks every week. Just didn't pay off for us this week as put us a running player down right from the first minutes of the game really as he was never right, and now we have lost him for weeks.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

WEll I hope you're right plugger. Certainly wasn't a good look, and the way it ended up suggested that Gram would have been better off from the outset having a rest. I know everythings easy in hindsight, but the whole scenario smacked of desperation to me. I reckon last year they would have rested Gram for this game and made sure he was right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Based on the look of concern on his and the two physios faces when he went past me down the race in the warm up and the fact he was off again within a couple of minutes. He struggled right from the first minutes of the game, which indicates he wasn't right given all the concern before hand. I was expecting a late change. I sit right near the race. He looked unhappy (stressed?) even running onto the ground. It was clearly a risk and didn't pay off. Having said that, AFL clubs and players take these types of risks every week. Just didn't pay off for us this week as put us a running player down right from the first minutes of the game really as he was never right, and now we have lost him for weeks.
I agree they take calculated risks on players but the way you are describing it, it doesnt sound like a calculated risk. It sounds a stupid move. I just happen to think the medical staff at our club are better than stupid moves.

saintnick12
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Based on the look of concern on his and the two physios faces when he went past me down the race in the warm up and the fact he was off again within a couple of minutes. He struggled right from the first minutes of the game, which indicates he wasn't right given all the concern before hand. I was expecting a late change. I sit right near the race. He looked unhappy (stressed?) even running onto the ground. It was clearly a risk and didn't pay off. Having said that, AFL clubs and players take these types of risks every week. Just didn't pay off for us this week as put us a running player down right from the first minutes of the game really as he was never right, and now we have lost him for weeks.
I agree they take calculated risks on players but the way you are describing it, it doesnt sound like a calculated risk. It sounds a stupid move. I just happen to think the medical staff at our club are better than stupid moves.
I'm just going by what I saw. It always looks worse when you lose. Had he had a blinder and we won the game it would have been an inspired move. I'm no medical professional, but I was very worried when I saw him run out, that's all I'm saying. We will really miss him over at Subiaco next week.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Yes, I am aware that the actual injury occured in the second quarter. Lyon would not have sent him out with a significant hamstring injury. HOWEVER, it was mentioned that he MAY have hurt something prior to the game in the warm up and if you noticed he didn't come on until late in the 1st and when he did he couldn't run to his usual capacity.

Unfortunately, because he participated in the warm up, they were unable to replace him with one of the emergencies. Obviously Gram felt that he was fine to play as our medical staff don't usually let our players back on at all in this situation.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rexy
SS Life Member

I dont think he was right from the start either, I would say OP is the issue. Shows how important Grams role is to us that we are trying to manage it so that he can play, rather than give him a rest IMO.

I suppose BJ is the closest to a similar type of player that we have, but apparently he is also our best forward option and best HBFer and probably needs to pick up clearances and contested ball as well. We need more BJs or a couple of guys to stand up elsewhere?

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Yes, I am aware that the actual injury occured in the second quarter. Lyon would not have sent him out with a significant hamstring injury. HOWEVER, it was mentioned that he MAY have hurt something prior to the game in the warm up and if you noticed he didn't come on until late in the 1st and when he did he couldn't run to his usual capacity.

Unfortunately, because he participated in the warm up, they were unable to replace him with one of the emergencies. Obviously Gram felt that he was fine to play as our medical staff don't usually let our players back on at all in this situation.
That is actually untrue about the warm up issue. He can be replaced after the warm up with permission from the AFL which is always given. The ruckman from Hawthorn was replaced 10 minutes before the game just 3 weeks ago.

saintnick12
Club Player

Yep, and last week Stanley and ARMO were warming up in the race after the player had all ready run out through the banner. I always sit there but you don't usually see them in the race that late, they are usually still in the rooms, but both were fully ready except for the jumper and were fully warming up while the players had already run through the banner and doing that last warm up. Was actually expecting a late change when I saw that. No sign of Raph last night in the race.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

saint75 wrote:Unfortunately, because he participated in the warm up, they were unable to replace him with one of the emergencies. Obviously Gram felt that he was fine to play as our medical staff don't usually let our players back on at all in this situation.
In the past players have been replaced after participating in the warm up.

As far as I understand it, and as long as the rules haven't changed. Once the team sheets have been submitted a player can only be replaced if an injury occurs at any time up until the first bounce.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Saint_Ash wrote:
saint75 wrote:Unfortunately, because he participated in the warm up, they were unable to replace him with one of the emergencies. Obviously Gram felt that he was fine to play as our medical staff don't usually let our players back on at all in this situation.
In the past players have been replaced after participating in the warm up.

As far as I understand it, and as long as the rules haven't changed. Once the team sheets have been submitted a player can only be replaced if an injury occurs at any time up until the first bounce.
So obviously it was an insignifcant injury prior to the match, yet he could hardly run and didn't make an appearance until late in the first quarter and was iced up and finished after the second?

The fitness staff are not known for allowing players to go and play injured under this regime, so can we explain why we didn't replace him with an emergency?

Fortius Quo Fidelius