Heyne - what to expect?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Heyne - what to expect?

As I live close to the bottom of the earth, I don't get to see the Zebras play. And his few NAB Cup appearances made just about no impact on my consciousness.

Hence I really don't know what to expect from Heyne tonight and am looking for some hints.

He ha long been touted as a "third forward". Given that he's relatively short, do I assume that means he has a reasonable sort of leap and a good pair of hands??

Is he quick?

Is he an accurate kick on goal?

Can he tackle?

Please advise.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saint4Eva
Club Player

He's not the quickest bloke around but has ok speed

He is a very accurate kick and of course he can tackle, he plays saints footy!! :lol:

I think he will do ok today

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He isnt quick. Not slow either. Hands are good but dont expect any hangers. Not that type of player. Very good at keeping the ball in. Strange kicking style and I would say a 55to 60% shot at goal so no Plugger but probably not the worst either.

There is no in my mind he has been brought in for forward pressure he will provide as I think at the moment the ball is running out to easily.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: There is no in my mind he has been brought in for forward pressure he will provide as I think at the moment the ball is running out to easily.
Correct......the forward line is not performing..IMO even Richmond would decline that forward line if we tried to gift them with it....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Heyne is renowned for taking hangers....a critisism of him in the past is that he tries to hit the highlights reel a bit much....he has made an effort to change that attitude...and his second efforts have improved him..

Is pretty quick

Hit and Miss kick

Good overhead

Can go missing, or have a purple patch.....a little bit similar to Matthew Ferguson at 6'1" and strong overhead...and moves OK at ground level

Good luck to him....after watching him last year, he is not the player Lynch is in the VFL....but will have more Pace so may suit AFL better...

Lynch, Armitage, McEvoy are all good players...and are exc at VFL level....but all lack one thing which is vital in the AFL...

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I take it you are talking about pace Big Mart?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Heyne is renowned for taking hangers....a critisism of him in the past is that he tries to hit the highlights reel a bit much....he has made an effort to change that attitude...and his second efforts have improved him..

Is pretty quick

Hit and Miss kick

Good overhead

Can go missing, or have a purple patch.....a little bit similar to Matthew Ferguson at 6'1" and strong overhead...and moves OK at ground level

Good luck to him....after watching him last year, he is not the player Lynch is in the VFL....but will have more Pace so may suit AFL better...

Lynch, Armitage, McEvoy are all good players...and are exc at VFL level....but all lack one thing which is vital in the AFL...
Heyne is strong over head but definitely doesnt take hangers. Not sure when he has taken one let alone renowned for it and it has never been a criticism in the past . Maybe from you but not many if any others.

yipper
SS Life Member

I take it you never watch much Gippsland Power footy Plugger??

Heyne would take a hanger every week with them - sometimes it seems that is all he wanted to do. Has good hands and is tough. Reckon he will go alright at AFL level actually.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:I take it you never watch much Gippsland Power footy Plugger??

Heyne would take a hanger every week with them - sometimes it seems that is all he wanted to do. Has good hands and is tough. Reckon he will go alright at AFL level actually.
Dont give a stuff about Power. I am talking what he has done at VFL level. I take it you dont watch much of Sandy because he hasnt taken on in about 13 games I have seen him play. He is strong overhead but I am yet to see him take a hanger. Lets put it this way he doesnt jump anywhere near as high as Ferg did.

PJ
SS Life Member

Taking the odd hanger is OK but I seriously hope (if he does take hangers) he doesn't try and build a career on it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

this is all I could find on him, I realise it's U18 but it gave me a bit of an idea how he moves etc...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I know it's not probable but 6 goals would be nice.

His kicking action looks OK. I'd say that Brett Kirk has a strange kicking style

Another opportunity awaits!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thanks all for the preview.

Maybe in contemporary footy going for screamers is not the % play, but I'd love to see the lad take a couple up forward this evening, and then slot home the goals. It would fill the entire team with confidence.

I don't exactly know why, but I have an instinctive feeling that Heyne is going to be good.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Im expecting nothing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His role at Sandy is definitely different to his U18 days.....expected to be more a ground level player....with little ariel ball going to him in a contest...he was not used as a contested target...a lead up target/crumber at HF generally..

Sautner, Crowe, Lynch, Stanley, McEvoy, Maguire, Walsh - all 190+ players who have been used as targets at Sandy.

His general play footy has improved since becoming a sainter. He does have a bit of X-Factor

Sainterone
Club Player

From Saints.com.au

Another youngster Ross Lyon has targeted to make a senior breakthrough in 2010. A strong-marking player who can play a role up forward or on the wing, Heyne made his senior debut in the NAB Cup in 2009 and enjoyed a solid first season, making 16 VFL appearances across half-forward for Sandringham. Got better as the year went on, kicking five goals against Bendigo late in the season, and was named an emergency in round 19 against Hawthorn.

Draft history: 2008 NAB AFL Draft 3rd round selection (St Kilda) No. 48 overall.

From Snowy Rovers - they (used to) breed them tough up there, back of Gippsland.

Well good luck to him in his first game.

Hope he kicks a goal with his first kick in AFL.

...and gets three or four for the whole match.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Hope we win.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

What I'd like from him;

60%+ of game time

15 possessions at an effiency rate over 70%

3 tackles

1 goal

be part of a winning team

Am I expecting too much? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Will the commentators go with "hiyne" or "hayne" and just how is it pronounced?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:What I'd like from him;

60%+ of game time

15 possessions at an effiency rate over 70%

3 tackles

1 goal

be part of a winning team

Am I expecting too much? !!
add aother goal to that I it would be a nice start. Would love him to kick 5 and push for a rising star nomination. The kid has a x factor and coule kick bags.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Will the commentators go with "hiyne" or "hayne" and just how is it pronounced?
I think Hiyne is the correct pronounciation !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SaintSimmo
Club Player

A versatile medium forward/midfielder who can provide good run, Heyne is a strong mark and also possesses good goal sense.

What sort of player are you?
I’m a wingman/full-forward type of player. I’m pretty quick on my feet and fairly strong in the air.

Strengths?
I like to think I’m a fairly good running player both ways.

Weaknesses?
Ground balls with two hands … I can tend to go at them with one hand every now and again.

Which AFL player do you feel you most resemble?
Probably Andrew Embley from West Coast. He’s a tall wingman who runs pretty hard, so [he’s got] pretty similar attributes as well. I like to watch him mainly, so I try to base my game around his.

sounds good to me.

Sainter for life.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Im expecting nothing.

At least im not disappointed by my expectations.

Maybe I should have set the bar a little bit lower.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Spinner wrote:Im expecting nothing.

At least im not disappointed by my expectations.

Maybe I should have set the bar a little bit lower.
Surely he was played out of position? He was on the wing and half back most of the time it seemed. The only good thing he did all night was the one handed pick up at centre half forward.

I'm not defending his game by any means, there was one particular "chase" which should an extraordinary lack of effort. I don't think he should have been selected anyway, we need another tall forward who can take a grab - so Stanley is our manley.

McEvoy - geez, unsighted.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He was ok. Maybe some of you guys need to realise he was pick 48 not 4.