GT carrying on again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

GT carrying on again

Today's rant from GT in The Age:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... -v5lt.html

C'mon Grant, you had the team to go all the way in 2004 and blew it..enough mate!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Does he ever comment about other teams?
Or is he solely there to comment about St Kilda?

I must say I was surprized at his comment aout our game-style not being capable of winning a grand final against a team 'taking us on'?

I was at the GF last year and was sure we were leading until the last 5 minutes?
In fact I would argue that our inedfficiency in front of goals kept the Cats in the game, rather than a deficiency in our game style.

Maybe he's intimating that Geelong didn't 'take us on' in that game so that it wan't a 'true test' of his theory?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what GT is supposed to do if he is asked to comment. Say sorry no comment. He thinks the current game plan will not win a GF. He is right. Does that mean he is talking about last year. No i dont think so he is talking currently. As for Kosi in the ruck well I am not sure about that. Occasionally maybe but not full time.

There I have had my opinion surely he is entitled to his if asked.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure what GT is supposed to do if he is asked to comment. Say sorry no comment. He thinks the current game plan will not win a GF. He is right. Does that mean he is talking about last year. No i dont think so he is talking currently. As for Kosi in the ruck well I am not sure about that. Occasionally maybe but not full time.

Yes he is just as entiteld as you or I or anyone else to an opinion.

Do you recall any articles written about his opinion on anything other than St Kilda (post GT coaching era)?

HOw current is current?
Do you mean last week, this week, 5 weeks ago when Roo was playing?
Just exactly what is meant by 'current game plan'.

Maybe incorrectly I read the article an understood he was talking about the gameplan in use of the last season and 7 games?

saintnick12
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Does he ever comment about other teams?
Or is he solely there to comment about St Kilda?

I must say I was surprized at his comment aout our game-style not being capable of winning a grand final against a team 'taking us on'?

I was at the GF last year and was sure we were leading until the last 5 minutes?
In fact I would argue that our inedfficiency in front of goals kept the Cats in the game, rather than a deficiency in our game style.

Maybe he's intimating that Geelong didn't 'take us on' in that game so that it wan't a 'true test' of his theory?
Agree MrMagic. Saying that the style is not capable of winning a GF is laughable. We were minutes away from winning last year and had our own skill errors in missed shots at goal throughout the day to blame.
He is also quite selective in his memory saying the style always keeps the opposition close. I recall being at plenty of games last year where the opposition was miles behind and the game was over before half time, particularly in the first half of the year. I think the opposite has in fact been true. Our ability to lock teams down generally means we can keep them within striking distance and then come over the top of them. (Last week is an obvious exception to this). The two games we lost during the season last year we were down and were nealy able to come back and pinch them.

Although he is our previous coach, GT comes across to me as first and foremost a passionate St Kilda supporter, a saints tragic. This seems to be why he says he will never coach another team. He does not try to hide this bias in his media work. When we have been going well he has been quite complimentry, and like a lot of posters is nervous and critical at the moment with the way things have been going the last few weeks.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Sick of him now.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

He needs a few more string to his bow I reckon. On Footy Classified they always refer to him as former stkilda coach - well that title is starting to become a distant memory. People don't refer to spud Frawley as former Richmond coach all the time.

I didn't see GT say all this about our game style last year. IN fact he thought it was perfect to win a flag. Either he is just referring to the last 3 weeks (and I mean who wouldn't agree with him there) or he just writes things that suit the time of the day.

Would be nice to see him write an article giving some sort of analysis of some other team, or doesn't he know enough about them, or doesn't he think anyone would be interested in what he thinks of opposition clubs.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Classic case of a player trying to play in a style/position that does not suit

Kosi needs to mark the ball in motion...they need to kick the ball into space and allow him to run and jump at it..he is not Fraser Gehrig

or...B.Hall, W.Tredrea, J.Brown, T.Cloke, M.Lloyd, J.Roughead, Q.Lynch, Mooney or in the past times Loewe, Kernahan - who are all power fwds...we try to use Kosi like a PF

and Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Presti, Merrett, Lake, Jamison, Pears, Carlisle...easily combat his body work and are better than a Ruck/fwd at Ground level..

He is also not a leading fwd....like Bradshaw, Fevola, Podsiadly or Dunstall too slow off the mark.

He is a Ruck fwd....more like petrie, Hale, Tippett, Fraser, McPharlin, White...problem is that he has not got the athletisism now and is more like Hawkins...if he doesn't mark the ball he is a liability

Doesn't matter whether he is CHF, FF, Ruck...its how he wins the ball is the key....it would be like using Gram as solely an inside mid

The great fwds can move, lead, body and have several tricks to win the ball...like Franklin, Riewoldt, Brown, Richardson, Pavlich, Carey, Grant

..same with Gardiner and McEvoy - Ruckman generally don't mark the ball one out very well, or on the short lead....Riewlodt is not great one out either...unless he has an opponent smaller...

If playing fwd....Kosi should not start in the GS....but 30m out and allow him to lead in multiple directions...including back to goal....he needs to stay in motion and not lead from a standing start...

Reiwoldt can start from GS or 50 out....Goddard the same

the key with Kosi is the way he is winning the ball...atm it is not the right way.....and BTW - he is not fit enough!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Classic case of a player trying to play in a style/position that does not suit

Kosi needs to mark the ball in motion...they need to kick the ball into space and allow him to run and jump at it..he is not Fraser Gehrig

or...B.Hall, W.Tredrea, J.Brown, T.Cloke, M.Lloyd, J.Roughead, Q.Lynch, Mooney or in the past times Loewe, Kernahan - who are all power fwds...we try to use Kosi like a PF

and Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Presti, Merrett, Lake, Jamison, Pears, Carlisle...easily combat his body work and are better than a Ruck/fwd at Ground level..

He is also not a leading fwd....like Bradshaw, Fevola, Podsiadly or Dunstall too slow off the mark.

He is a Ruck fwd....more like petrie, Hale, Tippett, Fraser, McPharlin, White...problem is that he has not got the athletisism now and is more like Hawkins...if he doesn't mark the ball he is a liability

Doesn't matter whether he is CHF, FF, Ruck...its how he wins the ball is the key....it would be like using Gram as solely an inside mid

The great fwds can move, lead, body and have several tricks to win the ball...like Franklin, Riewoldt, Brown, Richardson, Pavlich, Carey, Grant

..same with Gardiner and McEvoy - Ruckman generally don't mark the ball one out very well, or on the short lead....Riewlodt is not great one out either...unless he has an opponent smaller...

If playing fwd....Kosi should not start in the GS....but 30m out and allow him to lead in multiple directions...including back to goal....he needs to stay in motion and not lead from a standing start...

Reiwoldt can start from GS or 50 out....Goddard the same

the key with Kosi is the way he is winning the ball...atm it is not the right way.....and BTW - he is not fit enough!
How does any of this relate to GT commenting on our gameplan?

Have you posted in the wrong thread?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't he comment about Kosi in the article....and I was giving my opinion on Kosi as that seems to be his biggest bugbear...

Instead of whinging about a GT making a comment about StK....which of course he is allowed to do....and obviously does a bit, being a former coach he would get asked more to comment about them - yes...

I would rather discuss the article - not the writer..

The Game Plan will not win a GF at the G without Nick R....cannot kick the goals...and without clearance/pressure dominance - which we had in 09.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am curious who he would be playing in the forward line given he is staggered Kosi isn't in the ruck, and he isn't a fan of Milne much....

Hmm, what would you do Grant? :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I am curious who he would be playing in the forward line given he is staggered Kosi isn't in the ruck, and he isn't a fan of Milne much....

Hmm, what would you do Grant? :wink:
When did he say he wasnt a fan of Milne?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

nice work Rogerfox!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure what GT is supposed to do if he is asked to comment. Say sorry no comment. He thinks the current game plan will not win a GF. He is right. Does that mean he is talking about last year. No i dont think so he is talking currently. As for Kosi in the ruck well I am not sure about that. Occasionally maybe but not full time.

The difference being nobody asked for your opinion.

"He thinks the current game plan will not win a GF. He is right" - is he? I didn't think you could be right or wrong when having an opinion so why is he right?

Another opportunity awaits!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

that you grantly????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

"He thinks the current game plan will not win a GF. He is right" - is he? I didn't think you could be right or wrong when having an opinion so why is he right?
Had a bad night did you.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Had a bad night did you.
Not at all and you?

Another opportunity awaits!
spert
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Didn't he comment about Kosi in the article....and I was giving my opinion on Kosi as that seems to be his biggest bugbear...

Instead of whinging about a GT making a comment about StK....which of course he is allowed to do....and obviously does a bit, being a former coach he would get asked more to comment about them - yes...

I would rather discuss the article - not the writer..

The Game Plan will not win a GF at the G without Nick R....cannot kick the goals...and without clearance/pressure dominance - which we had in 09.
Apart from innacuracy, the gameplan worked OK in the 09 GF, without the inluence of Roo (not fully fit), Kosi (soundly beaten), Milne (soundly beaten). The problem this year is that many of the players (not all)have taken the foot off the accelerator a little compared to last season. Once that intensity returns, and it will, all will be OK for another crack at the flag.

na exa
Club Player

he is not fit enough!
not by a long shot.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: GT carrying on again

spert wrote:C'mon Grant, you had the team to go all the way in 2004 and blew it..enough mate!
Guerra was legged!

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Does he struggle to utter the words 'no comment'.

Unlike you or me plugger, GT knows his comments will be published in the media - and it always seems to be potting the club.

He needs to shut the f*** up, and stop pissing on the club. Oh thats right he loves the club....Lets give him the coaching position again.

He is a smart man - But when people think they know everything about everything coupled with being as stubborn as he - they become detrimental to themselves and the things they control.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He needs to earn money....'no comment' wont get him much...

Matthew Lloyd has no issue being brutally honest about Essendon...and giving his opinion....no issue there.

GT can have an opinion (right or wrong - he is entitled) and people do not have to agree....but to carry on and say he should not speak negatively (as a footy commentator) about his former club is ridiculous.

goodie
Club Player

He's turned into the ultimate armchair coach.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Does he struggle to utter the words 'no comment'.

Unlike you or me plugger, GT knows his comments will be published in the media - and it always seems to be potting the club.

He needs to shut the f*** up, and stop pissing on the club. Oh thats right he loves the club....Lets give him the coaching position again.

He is a smart man - But when people think they know everything about everything coupled with being as stubborn as he - they become detrimental to themselves and the things they control.
No comment from a media person. Surely you are joking. By the way GT may say a range of things and plenty could be positive but depending on what they write about only certain quotes may be used. Anyway why would anyone care what he or others not involved with the club say unless of course you secretly agree with him.

The Craw
Club Player

BigMart wrote: Kosi needs to mark the ball in motion...they need to kick the ball into space and allow him to run and jump at it..

Yep spot on St Mart, but disagree with not starting in goal square. Some of his best games have come playing in that position.

He is a contested mark player so needs to have crumbers at his feet which the saints have not been doing.

He does look unfit but it may be a confidence thing.

I would like to see him play out of the goal square and have BJ 50m out at CHF. Let him run into space to about 30m out and have Milne or Schnieder crumbing at his feet.

Keep the Back line settled with no rotation up to the forward line.

Needless to say I expect Kosi to have a big one today and if he does, hold to your hats.

Not Craw, CRAW!