Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon backs Raphael Clarke - Mike Sheahan

bigcarl wrote:good call. he had a crack and got a bit of the ball. the problem with him is that people remember only the mistakes and not the good things.

he has to learn to back his natural insticts and go with his first thought. i reckon he could be a surprise in the midfield. big bodied and quick hands.
his natural instintcs are to hold it on to it and have a leisurely stroll in the backline like a sunday picnic. he actually needs to forget his natural instincts. they are his problem. and play urgent footy where he chooses the best and quickest option of disposal.

his best is also not "very very good" anyway. to me "very very good" is kicking 5 in a quarter or doing a harbrow the other week against us off the back flank. hes never done anything close to "very very good" for a whole game.

the fact is hes our 19th or so best player week in week out and all the SS forum people can ever say week in week out is "oh he was better than so and so". cos hes usually better than our worst on any day. the issue is whoever our worst is on a particlular day (lets say mcqualter) also have the capacity to be in our best (mcqualtar against bullies) on another day whereas raph is consistently our 19th best.

when occassionaly he plays a normal game - like that expected of an afl player - SS forumites go nuts like hes had a pearler. then 99% of the time when he is our 19th best they point to the person who happened to be worse that week.

Im frickin so sick of reading these arguments re raph.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

At his best, he is in our best 22 imo... His best is not seen nearly enough..

The major problem is, when he stuffs up, like all players do at some stage or another, it always results in a goal with Raph...

His blunders are deadly....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:At his best, he is in our best 22 imo... His best is not seen nearly enough..

The major problem is, when he stuffs up, like all players do at some stage or another, it always results in a goal with Raph...

His blunders are deadly....
Agree.

He plays on the backline though, it's not uncommon for backline blunders to end up in a goal.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Disingenuous much?

One recent game as an example, and 2 finals. Decent examples, with no statement of exclusivity.

This is what happens with Raph - on Friday night (and the pictured tackle with the article is a good example) - Gwilt missed the ball, Carlton gathered it, and Raph layed a tackle.

It was Raph's fault.

Nick Dal Santo runs out of the backline, looks up, see's nothing forward and goes sideways to raph with a high arcing ball, forcing Raph to sit under it. A fast moving Carlton player spoils. Turnover. Goal.

It was Raph's fault.

The much made of grand final Max Rooke tackle. Max Rooke was tagging Sam Fisher. Fisher brought his tagger to the contest didn't shepherd, and didn't get clear for a handball. Somehow Raph is mown down by surprise, leading one to believe there wasn't even any talk...

That's right, it was (famously) Raph's fault.

Raphael Clarke makes visible clangers on the footy field. It's a problem. The extent to which he gets whipped is disproportional though, and generally displays as much context and understanding as the above - absolutely ridiculous - quote.

The guys who sit behind me swore that if Clarke was selected this week, they wouldn't show up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Raph is the common player in all the examples you detailed... Make the connection...

I am by no means a Raph basher, I have supported him for years, but this year my opinion has turned and I would prefer him out of the side...

The way Eddie Betts outmarked him going back with the flight on Monday night is indicative of his problem... He just approached the contest softly and didnt take the game head on and with confidence...

He has had years to gain the confidence and experience needed, yet he seems to be going backwards... There is only so many years one can be excused for being inexperienced and raw... He is now niether...

As for the Grand Final run down, putting the blame on Fisher is riduclous.. Raph had the ball in his hands for enough time to be able to make a decision or dispose... It was a Grand Final for crying out loud, the most urgent and pressured of all games, yet he was a deer in headlights... I didnt hang him for it at the time, but blaming Fisher is truely protecting a player in spite of the reality...
The point is this: if the coaching staff wants a different outcome in any of the situations above, Raph Clarke is not the one they need to speak to first.

A dropped mark from Gwilt, a poor decision from Dal Santo, a lazy play from Sam Fisher. Change those 3 things, and it changes the play entirely 3 times. The only one in which Clarke bears any responsibility is the run-down (as you say, he was holding the ball).

I have not issue with taking Raph to task for his clangers - and it's not like they're in short supply - but if you actually review any one of those 3 plays, don't blame Raph and then pretend you're not a "Raph basher".

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sobraz
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Disingenuous much?

One recent game as an example, and 2 finals. Decent examples, with no statement of exclusivity.

This is what happens with Raph - on Friday night (and the pictured tackle with the article is a good example) - Gwilt missed the ball, Carlton gathered it, and Raph layed a tackle.

It was Raph's fault.

Nick Dal Santo runs out of the backline, looks up, see's nothing forward and goes sideways to raph with a high arcing ball, forcing Raph to sit under it. A fast moving Carlton player spoils. Turnover. Goal.

It was Raph's fault.

The much made of grand final Max Rooke tackle. Max Rooke was tagging Sam Fisher. Fisher brought his tagger to the contest didn't shepherd, and didn't get clear for a handball. Somehow Raph is mown down by surprise, leading one to believe there wasn't even any talk...

Raphael Clarke makes visible clangers on the footy field. It's a problem. The extent to which he gets whipped is disproportional though, and generally displays as much context and understanding as the above - absolutely ridiculous - quote.

The guys who sit behind me swore that if Clarke was selected this week, they wouldn't show up.

Raph is the common player in all the examples you detailed... Make the connection...

I am by no means a Raph basher, I have supported him for years, but this year my opinion has turned and I would prefer him out of the side...

The way Eddie Betts outmarked him going back with the flight on Monday night is indicative of his problem... He just approached the contest softly and didnt take the game head on and with confidence...

He has had years to gain the confidence and experience needed, yet he seems to be going backwards... There is only so many years one can be excused for being inexperienced and raw... He is now niether...

As for the Grand Final run down, putting the blame on Fisher is riduclous.. Raph had the ball in his hands for enough time to be able to make a decision or dispose... It was a Grand Final for crying out loud, the most urgent and pressured of all games, yet he was a deer in headlights... I didnt hang him for it at the time, but blaming Fisher is truely protecting a player in spite of the reality...
The point is this: if the coaching staff wants a different outcome in any of the situations above, Raph Clarke is not the one they need to speak to first.

A dropped mark from Gwilt, a poor decision from Dal Santo, a lazy play from Sam Fisher. Change those 3 things, and it changes the play entirely 3 times. The only one in which Clarke bears any responsibility is the run-down (as you say, he was holding the ball).

I have not issue with taking Raph to task for his clangers - and it's not like they're in short supply - but if you actually review any one of those 3 plays, don't blame Raph and then pretend you're not a "Raph basher".
Ok, well Im not going to get into an argument on whether or not Im a "Raph basher"... I have made my position on him clear, both in the past and in my last post, but I have come to the conclusion that he is involved in more stuff ups, either directly or indirectly, than pretty much any other player, so his postion should be looked at...

The problem is, he is defended so vehemently by many on here that if a criticism is made about Raph, you are a "Raph basher"... Conversely, its clear he has been unfairly criticised in the past, however after watching and supporting him for 4 years, my mind has changed... I do however, still have faith that he can click, hopefully soon...

No more excuses or time imo... He lifts, or he's cut...

Gershwin
Club Player

Modern terminology really confuses me!
What does it actually mean if a player "has the ability to roll off his opponent"?

summertime and the living is easy ........
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
Ok, well Im not going to get into an argument on whether or not Im a "Raph basher"... I have made my position on him clear, both in the past and in my last post, but I have come to the conclusion that he is involved in more stuff ups, either directly or indirectly, than pretty much any other player, so his postion should be looked at...

The problem is, he is defended so vehemently by many on here that if a criticism is made about Raph, you are a "Raph basher"... Conversely, its clear he has been unfairly criticised in the past, however after watching and supporting him for 4 years, my mind has changed... I do however, still have faith that he can click, hopefully soon...

No more excuses or time imo... He lifts, or he's cut...
You're not wrong about the critics and defenders. Probably the nature of the whipping boy and the internet - both sides end up being over the top.

Blake was similar and has settled into a reliable tall defensive defender. Fiora was similar in the nature of the arguments (the games were worlds apart), and he's gone.

The truth is that by this stage, barring a Brennan-esque footy epiphany, Raph's probably an in (because he's much better than he generally gets credit for) and out (because he just makes too many errors on the defensive side of center) player just waiting for someone to steal his position.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
na exa
Club Player

his natural instintcs are to hold it on to it and have a leisurely stroll in the backline like a sunday picnic. he actually needs to forget his natural instincts. they are his problem. and play urgent footy where he chooses the best and quickest option of disposal.

his best is also not "very very good" anyway. to me "very very good" is kicking 5 in a quarter or doing a harbrow the other week against us off the back flank. hes never done anything close to "very very good" for a whole game.

the fact is hes our 19th or so best player week in week out and all the SS forum people can ever say week in week out is "oh he was better than so and so". cos hes usually better than our worst on any day. the issue is whoever our worst is on a particlular day (lets say mcqualter) also have the capacity to be in our best (mcqualtar against bullies) on another day whereas raph is consistently our 19th best.

when occassionaly he plays a normal game - like that expected of an afl player - SS forumites go nuts like hes had a pearler. then 99% of the time when he is our 19th best they point to the person who happened to be worse that week.

Im frickin so sick of reading these arguments re raph.
wow.

that was a read.

deadly.

The truth is that by this stage, barring a Brennan-esque footy epiphany, Raph's probably an in (because he's much better than he generally gets credit for) and out (because he just makes too many errors on the defensive side of center) player just waiting for someone to steal his position.
as what that summation.

c'mon raph.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Saintsfan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
kos wrote:Its funny ross can single out 3 good games and 1 is as far back as 08!

So that makes it 3 good ones out of about 30. Enough to hold a place?

Ask matt maguire if thats fair!
Certainly not. However this has nothing to do with Matt Maguire.

Defenders of Raph continue to bring up those instances however that is two games last year and one the year before.

Great so technically we should get at least one good game out of him.
So Ross was supposed to reel off every one of Raph's good games for the team over the last 7 years to satisfy you? Get a grip.
Well apart from his 3 games I cannot remember many more where he has done anything.

The Saintsfan Cometh
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Raph cops warranted critisism....people don't just single him out for the fun of it.... he is bagged for a reason.

and that is

the fact he makes horrible mistakes, that result in goals...and he appears lazy and soft at times.

he is not performing well enough to be in the best 22 atm

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Raph cops warranted critisism....people don't just single him out for the fun of it.... he is bagged for a reason.

and that is

the fact he makes horrible mistakes, that result in goals...and he appears lazy and soft at times.

he is not performing well enough to be in the best 22 atm
But why are there so many threads started about him being no good and should be dropped. Look at the last thread you started on him. There was plenty as bad as him that night but you pick him out to start the thread.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Consistently bad. That is why.

and inconsistently good.

Dal - shocking last week.....dual all australian....5 times in the top 5 in the B&F....has credits in the ban

so has
Milne, Schnieder, Gilbert, Fisher (plenty), Jones, Blake, Baker, Ray, Gram

Some credits
Gardiner, Dawson, McQualter, Kosi, Gwilt (now)

Not many...which is why they are dropped after bad games
Armitage, Steven, McEvoy, Clarke, Peake, King (nearly gone), Eddy, Geary, Pattison

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lets hope that the PUBLIC SUPPORT shown by the coach gives Raph the confidence that sees his game lifted to another level. This Sunday would be an ideal time too !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:he actually needs to forget his natural instincts. they are his problem. and play urgent footy where he chooses the best and quickest option of disposal.
he should go with his first thought, which equates to his natural instinct. i think his main problem is that he second guesses himself.

i also don't think he's a defender. i'd actually give him a run on the ball as he's mobile for a guy of his size. wing or a hff would also be a possibility where he could create a bit more.

yes, he makes mistakes. the only people who don't make them are people who don't do anything ... we had a few of them on monday.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:One recent game as an example, and 2 finals. Decent examples, with no statement of exclusivity.

It was Raph's fault.

It was Raph's fault.

well said.

na exa
Club Player

King (nearly gone),
a third of the way through the season.

hows he gunna be as finals footy ramps up ?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
busso mick
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: i also don't think he's a defender. i'd actually give him a run on the ball as he's mobile for a guy of his size. wing or a hff would also be a possibility where he could create a bit more.
If we could use him like Essendon use Lovett-Murray with a licence to create and take on the opposition he could serve us better. He seems to be chained down by a defensive mindset and always trying to do the team thing as a defender. He has good evasion skills and if he does take the game on in the forward line then his mistakes can be less expensive.

With the emergence of Gwilt this year his place across half back is almost redundant and with our lack of penetration across half forward it is probably worth a try.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
bigcarl wrote: i also don't think he's a defender. i'd actually give him a run on the ball as he's mobile for a guy of his size. wing or a hff would also be a possibility where he could create a bit more.
If we could use him like Essendon use Lovett-Murray with a licence to create and take on the opposition he could serve us better. He seems to be chained down by a defensive mindset and always trying to do the team thing as a defender. He has good evasion skills and if he does take the game on in the forward line then his mistakes can be less expensive.
i think you've nailed it.

saintpeter
Club Player

Exactly right

IMHO Raph Clarke is not a defender. He is a natural wingman or half forward flanker, if I have ever seen one in the past 45 years following the game. Put him in either position and let him exercise his flair. Was the same with his brother.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Image

Was it Blake or Fisher who didn't give the Raph the kick the bloody thing call?
To blame Fisher for the lack of awareness and larconicness in the white hot heat of a grandfinal is laughable..I was there ..it was right in front of me and he just took to long to get rid of it regardless of any shepherd[shouldn't have been needed]..end of story.

MUST IMPROVE OR BE MOVED ON IN MY OPINION

:roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would love to see him play in the middle a bit more...

played some early footy there for the scorrps... looked ok

ace
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
kos wrote:Its funny ross can single out 3 good games and 1 is as far back as 08!

So that makes it 3 good ones out of about 30. Enough to hold a place?

Ask matt maguire if thats fair!
Disingenuous much?

It was Raph's fault.

It was Raph's fault.

DISINDIGENOUS

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
repta
Club Player

Raph just needs to stop thinking about what to do, and just go with his first instinct. He over analyses his options and gets caught in the headlights.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:To blame Fisher for the lack of awareness and larconicness in the white hot heat of a grandfinal is laughable..I was there ..it was right in front of me and he just took to long to get rid of it regardless of any shepherd[shouldn't have been needed]..end of story.
Well, don't break a rib, because it was Fisher's fault.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Why is he saying "Raf" not "Raph"?
Maybe he is saying 'Raph'.