Teams. Ess v StK

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintsfan
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Since when were Mini, Schneider and Geary whipping boys?

Since about Round 5.
Well that is uniformed crap then if they are getting a bad run with supporters.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Ice Wolf
Club Player

ace wrote:
jimbob wrote:
Banger724 wrote:Backs: James Gwilt / Zac Dawson / Sam Gilbert
Half backs: Baker / Sam Fisher / Jason Blake
Centreline: Clint Jones / Nick Dal Santo / Farren Ray
Half forwards: Andrew McQualter / Brendon Goddard / Adam Schneider
Forwards: Jason Gram / Justin Koschitzke / Stephen Milne
Followers: Michael Gardiner / Lenny Hayes / Leigh Montagna
Interchange From: David Armitage / Raphael Clarke / Robert Eddy
Jarryn Geary / Nick Heyne / Ben McEvoy / Rhys Stanley

From Herald Sun

Out: Jack Steven, Steven King
In: Armo, Eddy, Heyne, McEvoy & Stanley

Will take a stab in the dark and say Eddy, Clark & Heyne will come out of that extended bench tomorrow.
clark wont ever get dropped ross lyons love child we be Armo, McEvoy in for king and stevens
The AFL has a secret rule that every team must play at least one indigenous player if fit.
Gwilt does not qualify due to his background being New Guinea.
I believe playing playing someone with a PNG parent gets us an exemption on that rule. We would also get an exemption is we played Walsh. Playing at least 5 New South Welshmen and/or Queenslanders also nets a exemption. It's the 'Growing the Game' clause.

So I think we are covered and wont cop a penalty from the AFL so long as Armitage comes in or Gwilt plays.

nobhead
Club Player

[
I agree. I think one of them will play which means either Clarke or geary will be out. I would prefer Clarke at this stage. We are to tall down back as it is.[/quote]hope your right would like to see ins being armo ,stanley ,macca out raph ,king,steven. steven unlucky leading goal kicker last week for us .bizzare i reckon ross likes dropping players who kick goals for us ie steven and armo the week before.got have 2 tall forwards makes us less predictable going forward and gives milne,shcnieds and mini some crumbs imo.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nobhead wrote:[
hope your right would like to see ins being armo ,stanley ,macca out raph ,king,steven. steven unlucky leading goal kicker last week for us .bizzare i reckon ross likes dropping players who kick goals for us ie steven and armo the week before.got have 2 tall forwards makes us less predictable going forward and gives milne,shcnieds and mini some crumbs imo.
I like the idea of:

INS - Armo, Mac, Stanley for Raph, King......but Id also like to keep Stevens as an in...BUT Im unsure if he has the defensive game to keep a Mqualter out.....I reckon IF he had that manic tackle aspect to his game Mqualter would go for mine....Geary was ok last week to me and has some zip we need.

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
nobhead wrote:[
hope your right would like to see ins being armo ,stanley ,macca out raph ,king,steven. steven unlucky leading goal kicker last week for us .bizzare i reckon ross likes dropping players who kick goals for us ie steven and armo the week before.got have 2 tall forwards makes us less predictable going forward and gives milne,shcnieds and mini some crumbs imo.
I like the idea of:

INS - Armo, Mac, Stanley for Raph, King......but Id also like to keep Stevens as an in...BUT Im unsure if he has the defensive game to keep a Mqualter out.....I reckon IF he had that manic tackle aspect to his game Mqualter would go for mine....Geary was ok last week to me and has some zip we need.
+1

Statsman
Club Player

Teflon wrote:INS - Armo, Mac, Stanley for Raph, King......but Id also like to keep Stevens as an in...BUT Im unsure if he has the defensive game to keep a Mqualter out.....I reckon IF he had that manic tackle aspect to his game Mqualter would go for mine....Geary was ok last week to me and has some zip we need.
Steven actually has a slight edge in tackles with an average of ,4.5 tackles in his two games while Mini has an average of 4 tackles per game this season. However there's more to the defensive side of the game than just tackling. There's also the chasing, pressuring, harrassing, spoiling, smothering, etc. Either way, I don't think Steven is that far off Mini's level, which has dipped a little this season.

Geary needs to tidy up his disposal. I think I read in the paper on Tuesday morning that his disposal effectiveness was only 50%. I don't think it's the first time he's posted that kind of number either.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't mean to bag the kid, but why exactly is Zac in the team

who's he going to play on...

I spy another week where he doesn't have an appropriate opponent down back and plays quasi everywhere but well no where.

Would much rather keep Steven instead.

Must say I find it frustrating that RL doesn't swing the axe a bit more or mix it up once in a while...

Guys like McQualter, Dawson, King, and to a lesser extent King, Geary and Clarke floundering whilst McEvoy, Stanley, Heyne etc barely get a look in.

Would also like to see Raph play in the middle for a change, see what he's got.

Statsman
Club Player

skeptic wrote:I don't mean to bag the kid, but why exactly is Zac in the team

I spy another week where he doesn't have an appropriate opponent down back and plays quasi everywhere but well no where.
Hard to disagree with that. Surely with Blake, Fisher, Gwilt, Gilbert and Clarke we have enough tall/tallish defenders to match up on most forward lines and therefore don't necessarily need Zac down there was well. However Ross obviously prefers to have Fisher and Gilbert play with freedom rather than having to lock down on an opponent. Having said that, it doesn't explain why Gilbert started on Waite last week.
skeptic wrote:Would also like to see Raph play in the middle for a change, see what he's got.
I'm not sure how Raph would go in the middle as he really needs time and space to be effective. He can be indecisive with the football and that spells trouble in close quarters. My worry is that he'd be caught with the ball far too often as he he often fails to take the first option and hangs onto the footy too long. His long, lean body is better suited to floating across half back rather than bustling around in the middle.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Why the hell has Steven been dropped..a goal kicker and has pace.. :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:So with Ben being an IN, that is three of:
David Armitage / Raphael Clarke / Robert Eddy
Jarryn Geary / Nick Heyne / Rhys Stanley
Ross also implied in the media today that we would go with a more traditional forward structure and stop robbing from the backline and midfield. That suggests to me that either Stanley or Heyne comes in a a marking forward to support Kosi.
Happy for either to come in however if it's Heyne I'm not sure the guy himself will solve any problems. He's only 187 cms and would be playing his first game so probably wouldn't be much help to Kosi.

We need a tall at CFH who can take a grab, whether that be Dawson, Stanley, Macca whatever. If it is Heyne playing alongside the likes of Milne, Schneider, McQualter etc then I don't think Kosi, or the team for that matter, will be much better off.

That aside I would be happy for Heyne to debut - I would just be wary of thinking of him in terms of a marking forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If it is Heyne then you would imagine that someone tallish besides Kosi will also play forward...ie BJ.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
skeptic wrote:Would also like to see Raph play in the middle for a change, see what he's got.
I'm not sure how Raph would go in the middle as he really needs time and space to be effective. He can be indecisive with the football and that spells trouble in close quarters. My worry is that he'd be caught with the ball far too often as he he often fails to take the first option and hangs onto the footy too long. His long, lean body is better suited to floating across half back rather than bustling around in the middle.
maybe he needs less time to think about it (which he would get in the middle). no time to second guess yourself there. it's first option or "B-A-L-L".

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:The whipping boys Zac, Raph, Mini, Schneider and Geary will be given every chance.
Most people would agree that Zac had a fantastic start to season 2009. Full of confidence and aggression. That has since dropped off and i personally would love to see him discover it again.

Mcqualter was also great for a lot of last year, a player who was a certain delisting about 2 years ago switched it around. He became a tough little goal sneak who appears from nowhere Tim Cahill style and slots one through.

Schneider thrives when everyone else does hard work and he can be lethal.

Anyway, the team is selected. We have to keep trying things until Riewoldt gets back. I am now of the belief without him we are back with the pack. So let us struggle on until he returns.

Go sainters!

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gumbleton or hurley? 197/90 or 193/92. not that no-one else could take them, but neither are that quick so both are reasonable matchups for zac.

or hille if he goes down there - 201/109. not sure how much he's been doing that though.

DWOODROW
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:The whipping boys Zac, Raph, Mini, Schneider and Geary will be given every chance.
Most people would agree that Zac had a fantastic start to season 2009. Full of confidence and aggression. That has since dropped off and i personally would love to see him discover it again.

Mcqualter was also great for a lot of last year, a player who was a certain delisting about 2 years ago switched it around. He became a tough little goal sneak who appears from nowhere Tim Cahill style and slots one through.

Schneider thrives when everyone else does hard work and he can be lethal.

I would have to say that all the boys are down from last year. It's still early and maybe they are waiting till the season gets a little bit further in but the Saints footy of last year is definitely half of what is was last year.

Hopefully by plugging away we can still come away with some wins and get back to way we play best near the finals.
Here's hoping

Anyway, the team is selected. We have to keep trying things until Riewoldt gets back. I am now of the belief without him we are back with the pack. So let us struggle on until he returns.

Go sainters!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

gumbleton or hurley? 197/90 or 193/92. not that no-one else could take them, but neither are that quick so both are reasonable matchups for zac.

or hille if he goes down there - 201/109. not sure how much he's been doing that though.
I think Ryder has been pushing up forward a bit recently as well?

Saintsfan
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Well Ryder is too big, strong and plain better so he is going to have an easy evening.

Hurley is a gun. I don't want this match up.

This could be the making of Scott Gumbleton. His first major haul.

We will still win easily however. Again the cracks re Zac will be papered over.

The Saintsfan Cometh
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:We will still win easily however. Again the cracks re Zac will be papered over.
i dunno, but i think ross wants a big, strong, tall full-back. he hasn't got a ready made one so he's building one from scratch. it's taking time but the kid has shown that he's about half-way there, just that he's inconsistent and lacking in confidence. get him over the line, though, and he'll be a serious asset to the side - i think that's what ross sees.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
SainterK wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Well Ryder is too big, strong and plain better so he is going to have an easy evening.

Not sure if Hurley will play forward, they are missing Pears down back and I think he will at least start there?

Saintsfan
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
SainterK wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Not sure if Hurley will play forward, they are missing Pears down back and I think he will at least start there?
With Fletcher and Hooker I don't think they will need a third tall defender considering the work and output Hurley can give playing forward.

Hooker to Kosi, Fletcher to play on our rotating second tall forward/never pick up an opponent tough-man Nick Maxwell style.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Personally I would like to see both Heyne & Stanley in, if they don't play then it's same same and no real difference or challenge to the opposition. With them in means that one of Schneider, Goddard or Heyne can be lead up forwards allowing for marking targets like Kosi, Stanley or Goddard (if not leading up) to remain inside 50.

I think Ross has hinted that he'll keep the mids and defence as our backbone and work on creating a workable forward line from those remaining.

We really have nothing to lose, if it works we win, if it doesn't then two young players get valuable exposure and experience.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Personally I would like to see both Heyne & Stanley in, if they don't play then it's same same and no real difference or challenge to the opposition. With them in means that one of Schneider, Goddard or Heyne can be lead up forwards allowing for marking targets like Kosi, Stanley or Goddard (if not leading up) to remain inside 50.

I think Ross has hinted that he'll keep the mids and defence as our backbone and work on creating a workable forward line from those remaining.

We really have nothing to lose, if it works we win, if it doesn't then two young players get valuable exposure and experience.
This place is gonna explode :shock:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Andrew McQualter should count himself very lucky to stay in the side. Jack Steven has done a reasonable job in the same role and probably deserves more of a go. Steven averaged more tackles and goals than McQualter while in the side.

McQualter kicked 22.9 last year, 0.9 goals a game. This year he's kicked only 2.4 for the season. That's very poor for a bloke who spends a lot of time in the forward line. Jack Steven kicked 3 goals in his two games.

noob
Club Player

armo had 2 goals the other week and got dropped same with steven. so if someone gets a couple of goals look out :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Andrew McQualter should count himself very lucky to stay in the side. Jack Steven has done a reasonable job in the same role and probably deserves more of a go. Steven averaged more tackles and goals than McQualter while in the side.

McQualter kicked 22.9 last year, 0.9 goals a game. This year he's kicked only 2.4 for the season. That's very poor for a bloke who spends a lot of time in the forward line. Jack Steven kicked 3 goals in his two games.

mini won us the game against the doggies...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.