Premiership Window

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Premiership Window

Got another email through my footy contacts. Someone has put together a ladder based on current premiership windows, in his opinion. Interesting reading, not that I agree.

I believe the criteria was based on 2010 alone. The higher the ranking, the higher the chance of both a premiership this year but also I guess, that the window is closer to closing than opening.

Western Bulldogs
Brisbane
Collingwood
Geelong
St Kilda
Sydney
Fremantle
Carlton
Port Adelaide
Melbourne
West Coast
North Melbourne
Essendon
Hawthorn
Richmond
Adelaide

Comment: Interesting call on Brisbane. Obviously, with their recycled list, this year is seen as make or break. Carlton & Melbourne are higher than I would've thought. Would've thought our window would be more open than Collingwood's or the Bulldog's.

Discuss.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Which one is ours?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

The third one.

It looks like a handball target.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Where's the diamond window?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Premiership Window

SENsaintsational wrote:Got another email through my footy contacts. Someone has put together a ladder based on current premiership windows, in his opinion. .
How are teams ranked on this ladder? ie what is the basis?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Got another email through my footy contacts. Someone has put together a ladder based on current premiership windows, in his opinion. .
No idea. Probably just his opinion.

He actually works at the AFL, so it could come from Adrian Anderson for all I know!! :shock:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Dogs have old forwards,Johnno,Aker,Hall,Eagleton. A lot of goal kicking power to be replaced once they are gone. This is there best chance this year before they have to find some new goal kicking options

Hate to say it,but Collingwood look to have a list that will contend for 3-4 years.We will count ourselves lucky if we don't see them win one in the next few years

Geelong- Depends who stays,who go's. Ablett go's then they obviously aren't the side they are now. Scarlett leaves them vulnerable down back also,and he is about to go on the decline,Milburn coming to the end. Pods has added to there list,but Mooney will retire at years end from all reports. I'm assuming Ablett leaves,then I think Collingwood go ahead of them next year

Brisbane- No chance this year,or next. Too many injury prone players,Black/Power coming towards veteran status. Brown/Fevola only have a couple left

Stkilda- Depth is the issue,or lack of. Looks to be virtually no gun talent coming through. Lendog is getting older. Will need to recruit well at years end I feel,something we did horrendously bad at the end of last year

Sydney- Think they're at there peak now. Goodes,Kirk,Bolton,Bradshaw,will start to decline,if they aren't already. Some good kids coming through,but some very good ones on there way out also

Fremantle- Excellent group if they hang onto them all. Looks like they'll contend seriously in the coming years

Carlton- Midfield is excellent,and will get better with the improvement of Gibbs,Murphy,Lucas. They look like becoming a powerhouse again in the next few years. They just need a power forward

Melbourne- Too early to tell I think. Future looks very promising though. Depends how Watts comes on.

Port- Not much to see here

West Coast- Don't see them contending in the near future. Couple of good ones coming through,some good one's going out also. Cox,Kerr,Embley

North- A fair way off yet

Essendon- They've got a good crop of youngsters,think they need to find a bit more yet though to become future contenders

Hawthorn- Current list is too injury prone.

Adelaide- Best players are all old. Bleak future

Richmond- There life is a living hell. Martin,Cotchin....not much else

Bring back the Lockett era
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

He actually works at the AFL, so it could come from Adrian Anderson for all I know!! :shock:
Ta.

I cannot see a pattern for his reasoning...and so cannot really comment on his order. I mean Lions at No 2???

One can say that teams could be grouped in:

* Teams in their window (ie can win it). He might have Dogs at No 1 as with three old important forwards in Hall, Aka and Johnno that things may suddenly slip for them?

* Team just short of Premiership Window..but who might not actually get there

* Teams on the rise with their window coming. ie Dees

* Teams on the slide
* Teams in limbo: Tigers.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PLUGGER14
Club Player

Pwoit wrote:Which one is ours?

There's a Bear in there :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hehe...so your mate got the current premiership ladder, moved some of the teams around and renamed it. Who is he, Mike Sheahan? :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

No I didnt send it.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 13 May 2010 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Hehe...so your mate got the current premiership ladder, moved some of the teams around and renamed it. Who is he, Mike Sheahan? :lol:
Funnily enough, that is nearly word for word my sarcastic reply back to him!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:Hehe...so your mate got the current premiership ladder, moved some of the teams around and renamed it. Who is he, Mike Sheahan? :lol:
I hope it...made his day. :D

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
I hope it...made his day. :D
Well it definitely had a sudden impact. He wasn't happy with my questioning of his reasoning.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Dogs have old forwards,Johnno,Aker,Hall,Eagleton. A lot of goal kicking power to be replaced once they are gone. This is there best chance this year before they have to find some new goal kicking options

Hate to say it,but Collingwood look to have a list that will contend for 3-4 years.We will count ourselves lucky if we don't see them win one in the next few years

Geelong- Depends who stays,who go's. Ablett go's then they obviously aren't the side they are now. Scarlett leaves them vulnerable down back also,and he is about to go on the decline,Milburn coming to the end. Pods has added to there list,but Mooney will retire at years end from all reports. I'm assuming Ablett leaves,then I think Collingwood go ahead of them next year

Brisbane- No chance this year,or next. Too many injury prone players,Black/Power coming towards veteran status. Brown/Fevola only have a couple left

Stkilda- Depth is the issue,or lack of. Looks to be virtually no gun talent coming through. Lendog is getting older. Will need to recruit well at years end I feel,something we did horrendously bad at the end of last year

Sydney- Think they're at there peak now. Goodes,Kirk,Bolton,Bradshaw,will start to decline,if they aren't already. Some good kids coming through,but some very good ones on there way out also

Fremantle- Excellent group if they hang onto them all. Looks like they'll contend seriously in the coming years

Carlton- Midfield is excellent,and will get better with the improvement of Gibbs,Murphy,Lucas. They look like becoming a powerhouse again in the next few years. They just need a power forward

Melbourne- Too early to tell I think. Future looks very promising though. Depends how Watts comes on.

West Coast- Don't see them contending in the near future. Couple of good ones coming through,some good one's going out also. Cox,Kerr,Embley

Essendon- They've got a good crop of youngsters,think they need to find a bit more yet though to become future contenders

Sounds pretty right to me. Damn Collingwood.

I think Melbourne are clearly very promising and if Watts turns out to be a gun then they will rise very quickly, make the finals next year and be a genuine contended for a while after that. Defence is very solid.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintly
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Dogs have old forwards,Johnno,Aker,Hall,Eagleton. A lot of goal kicking power to be replaced once they are gone. This is there best chance this year before they have to find some new goal kicking options

the problem with stkilda's recruiting is that hey have not picked up fast young players, forget lovett. it was the right idea but they should have donoe it for rookies. if the saints don't win the premiership this years then i believe the saints will pay badly.

esseondon, carlton, melbourne, port, all have fast youngsters.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:esseondon, carlton, melbourne, port, all have fast youngsters.
They're hardly the top 4 sides. Pace isn't everything.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
not top 4 yet, but they will be, and pace may not be everything, but it sure helps!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
degruch wrote:
not top 4 yet, but they will be, and pace may not be everything, but it sure helps!
Hmmm, maybe. IMO Port and Carlton may have peaked, Essendon still have some development and Melbourne have heaps. Of course, we could have rigged the draft for 3-4 years, so we could be proud of our teams list development...Dean Bailey.

na exa
Club Player

this wont be the first time 'the mosquito fleet' have been in favour.

catch em and smash em.
get the pill and kick it in the air to your tall guys.

whats hard about that ?

besides catching em.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
degruch
Saintsational Legend

na exa wrote:this wont be the first time 'the mosquito fleet' have been in favour.

catch em and smash em.
get the pill and kick it in the air to your tall guys.

whats hard about that ?

besides catching em.
Bit of Pea Beau will fix 'em up.

na exa
Club Player

seriously.

i think we neeed to add some mongrel.

na exa
Club Player

there too light to hit ya back.
smash em.

and while your at it , plant gardy at full forward.

with an eye to taking marks , kicking goals and scaring backmen.

yapper would help.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I reckon we're still in this season up to our ears, but I do believe we may be better placed next year. The reason for this is that (aside from Roo hopefully being fully fit again), I expect we'll have much more depth and pressure being put on the "best 22". Guys like Lynch, Walsh, McEvoy, Stanley, A and J Smith, Gaertner and Heyne will hopefully all be banging on the door to play seniors (being in at least their 3rd season's at the club), whereas at the moment they're basically not yet.
Our forward line especially will hopefully have some more options, to take the load off Roo and make us less predictable.
I certainly agree that we've definitely missed a trick by not going after pace in the recent drafts, though. I'd have made it my priority about 3 drafts ago, as it was clear that we were lacking in that area, probably since Aussie Jones left. I'd have sent scouts to all parts of the NT to find us some guys with extreme speed and great skills.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

just read jonesy's post. spot on.

i think the origina ladder is saying - dogs and lions have to win 2010 or theyll never win. pies clearly still moving up ladder. and freo and demons with upside. saints have maybe 2 years then we are screwed.