Genuine premiership contenders?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

SaintTom wrote:
Certainly not writing collingwood off or suggesting they're stuggling, just won't be convinced that they're the real deal until they win some games such as freo over there, Brisbane up there and Geelong in round 9, if they win at least 2 of those then I'll see them as a serious contender. They won easy games last year, just as they're doing this year, and I haven't seen anything yet to show that they've really improved.
the funny thing is (sort of) if you applied the same criteria to the Saints it would have read the same, Us against Freo over there most likely would have gone the same way as geelong, we dont play the gabba well, and we are no where near Geelong.
I think the collingwood arrogant swagger is back

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:I don't think anyone can seriously rate Collingwood. They couldn't get within 3 goals of us without Roo despite being March premiers, they beat up the weak teams and never travel...shown nothing much IMO.
Totally agree. If you have only won 6 out of 7 and the other you were clearly better for the half but kicked poorly suggests you are going to struggle. As I have suggested before MM is in real trouble by round 10.
Completely clueless.

SaintTom
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
SaintTom wrote:
Certainly not writing collingwood off or suggesting they're stuggling, just won't be convinced that they're the real deal until they win some games such as freo over there, Brisbane up there and Geelong in round 9, if they win at least 2 of those then I'll see them as a serious contender. They won easy games last year, just as they're doing this year, and I haven't seen anything yet to show that they've really improved.
the funny thing is (sort of) if you applied the same criteria to the Saints it would have read the same, Us against Freo over there most likely would have gone the same way as geelong, we dont play the gabba well, and we are no where near Geelong.
I think the collingwood arrogant swagger is back
I'm only using those examples because they are the difficult games that the Pies have coming up. I wouldn't say we were no where near Geelong, I'd still rate them ahead of us, but the last two games we played against them could both have tipped either way. I can't see there being too much separating the two.

eppo67
Club Player

As of Today Saints have beaten
1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 11th

Collingwood have Beaten
7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th.

Hello!! How could anyone be possibly convinced Collingwood is genuine just yet.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Geelong
Saints

Dogs,Pies,
Swans, Freo
Lions

Geelong have improved, I think Podsiadly is a great pick up.

IMO.

Wake me up when September ends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:I don't think anyone can seriously rate Collingwood. They couldn't get within 3 goals of us without Roo despite being March premiers, they beat up the weak teams and never travel...shown nothing much IMO.
Totally agree. If you have only won 6 out of 7 and the other you were clearly better for the half but kicked poorly suggests you are going to struggle. As I have suggested before MM is in real trouble by round 10.
Completely clueless.
Yes your comment makes plenty of sense. As long as the pies only beat who they are playing what hope have they got.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Completely clueless.
Yes your comment makes plenty of sense. As long as the pies only beat who they are playing what hope have they got.
Idiot.

The Pies, as has been noted above, have had an easy start to the year. Notorious downhill skiers, having rarely left the safety of their home ground, they are off to a flier. Good on 'em.

In an attempt to deride the only team who've defeated them (St Kilda), you suggested that Collingwood's inability to kick straight lost them the game. What a brilliant conclusion. Do you believe is it a coincidence that every team St Kilda play cannot kick straight, or have you heard of the concept of forward 50 pressure? The opposition must either hurry their kick under pressure, or break several lines before having the opportunity...in short, St Kilda forces the opposition into poor disposal in front of goals. Mind blowing, I know.

So, there may be posters here that believe Collingwood are genuine contenders, are closing the gap, etc., that's their opinion. However, to claim we were lucky to win against them, and that they've fought a hard earned 6-1 start to the season is blithering idiocy.

Genuine contenders, like St Kilda and Geelong, can still function under the toughest conditions whilst missing key players...I'd like to see Collingwood win without players like Cloke (for Kosi), Shaw (for Fisher), Pendlebury (for Gram), plus whoever you'd like to believe may be their Riewoldt equivalent. The next few weeks should show them up, or prove me wrong.

Now go read the HUN and believe the hype.

Statsman
Club Player

AlpineStars wrote:Geelong have improved, I think Podsiadly is a great pick up.
Agreed. One of Geelong's few weaknesses was quality key forwards. Mooney is serviceable while Hawkins hasn't lived up to expectations. Fortunately for Geelong, and unfortunately for everybody else, they've been able to overcome that weakness through the goal scoring ability of their small and mid-sized forwards and their elite midfielders.

Scarily, they've now added Podsiadly to fill that gap and give them another viable key forward.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Saintsfan
Club Player

Statsman wrote:
Agreed. One of Geelong's few weaknesses was quality key forwards. Mooney is serviceable while Hawkins hasn't lived up to expectations. Fortunately for Geelong, and unfortunately for everybody else, they've been able to overcome that weakness through the goal scoring ability of their small and mid-sized forwards and their elite midfielders.

Scarily, they've now added Podsiadly to fill that gap and give them another viable key forward.
He is Geelong's most dangerous tall already after 5 games.

When we play the Cats we have to figure out if he can run the other way and apply defensive pressure as like Mooney they could be exploited. However who knows as the average football follower has not seem him (just heard) before...

The Saintsfan Cometh
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:

He is a good pick up, I'd like to see him kick a few outside of Kardinia Park...on the big stage with a massive opposition crowd.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Statsman wrote:

He is Geelong's most dangerous tall already after 5 games.

When we play the Cats we have to figure out if he can run the other way and apply defensive pressure as like Mooney they could be exploited. However who knows as the average football follower has not seem him (just heard) before...
strange thing is that it makes geelong more dangerous to everyone but us IMO. Having a couple of fast smalls and lots of medium forwards were one reason they beat us in the grand final. At least with three talls we match up a little better. On the otherhand it means chapman and ablett are pure midfielders now who go forward occasionally.... god they were good today.

We will learn alot about the pies in the next month. In fact by round 11 we might know who is pushing top 4.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Completely clueless.
Idiot.

The Pies, as has been noted above, have had an easy start to the year. Notorious downhill skiers, having rarely left the safety of their home ground, they are off to a flier. Good on 'em.

In an attempt to deride the only team who've defeated them (St Kilda), you suggested that Collingwood's inability to kick straight lost them the game. What a brilliant conclusion. Do you believe is it a coincidence that every team St Kilda play cannot kick straight, or have you heard of the concept of forward 50 pressure? The opposition must either hurry their kick under pressure, or break several lines before having the opportunity...in short, St Kilda forces the opposition into poor disposal in front of goals. Mind blowing, I know.

So, there may be posters here that believe Collingwood are genuine contenders, are closing the gap, etc., that's their opinion. However, to claim we were lucky to win against them, and that they've fought a hard earned 6-1 start to the season is blithering idiocy.

Genuine contenders, like St Kilda and Geelong, can still function under the toughest conditions whilst missing key players...I'd like to see Collingwood win without players like Cloke (for Kosi), Shaw (for Fisher), Pendlebury (for Gram), plus whoever you'd like to believe may be their Riewoldt equivalent. The next few weeks should show them up, or prove me wrong.

Yes idiot. Very good. Lets look at facts and not something that hasnt happened. They have won every very impressively bar the Melbourne. They have lost to us but did kick very poorly. That is a fact. Who knows what would have happened if they kicked well. You can only win games and only win with the players who are playing. Not fantasising what would happen if he was out or not out of the side. IMO they are going very well. Maybe you will not admit they are going so well as you were probably one of many who said MM would be gone by seasons end if not earlier because the Pies are shocking after they lost to us in round 3.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Completely clueless.
Idiot.

Yes idiot. Very good. Lets look at facts and not something that hasnt happened. They have won every very impressively bar the Melbourne. They have lost to us but did kick very poorly. That is a fact. Who knows what would have happened if they kicked well. You can only win games and only win with the players who are playing. Not fantasising what would happen if he was out or not out of the side. IMO they are going very well. Maybe you will not admit they are going so well as you were probably one of many who said MM would be gone by seasons end if not earlier because the Pies are shocking after they lost to us in round 3.
No-one's fantasising on my side of the fence. Here are some more facts for you:

Collingwood are going well for a side who are having a soft start to the year - FACT.

They lost to us because they were not good enough and couldn't squeeze a straight kick out to save themselves. This was brought about by St Kilda's pressure in their forward line - FACT.

I have never made a comment about MM's coaching on this forum and couldn't care less if he continues to coach for another 10 years - FACT.

EDIT: Torrents of abuse removed for the sake of others using this site. Needless to say it did involve mention of the FACT that your posts are as humorous and informative as a Tony Abbott policy speech.

So, you are following me around to bait me for comments I never made? Bravo idiot. Why are you here except to hassle other forumites and destroy threads? Get lost.

Have a nice day.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I saw a bit of the Woods v North.. a pity the Woods had no real opposition and I'm sure they were surprised at the lack of pressure by North

markp
Saintsational Legend

Tony Abbott has policies?? :shock: :wink:

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Apart from the Dogs, Collingwood have not beaten anyone important yet. We have had a much tougher run & yet the media still talk up Collingwood, over the next couple of weeks the pies draw gets tougher, while ours gets eaiser. Be interesting to see how the media handle this.

Remember Collingwood wining = more paper sales, so they (the media) have a "duty" to talk them up.

I am far from convinced with them & I think the woods are ahead of themselves.

In 2009 at this stage we were flying, by the end of the year we were scrapping through games, not flowing like we did earlier in the season.

If we click by the season's end, coming into finals we won't be stopped. I would rather us play better at the end of the year than now. Having said that, we are still wining.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I did not have them amonst my 2010 Premiership contenders anyway, but Lions and PA have suffered some real body blows this weekend with injuries to Drummond, Brennan and Tredera.

Drummond I really rate and losing him loses a lot of drive.

These two teams were helping to shape the Top 4 and their loss of these players may help some of the teams who are yet to play them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gogs with their season teetering will be very happy that both Mumford and Seaby are out against them. Ruckman are very importnat to the Swans and against the Dogs will now have to play a poor ruck division againt Hudson who has been in sold form.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Hughjarce
Club Player

A loss to Carlscum would put a dent in our standing as a genuine Premiership contender.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
StSteven
Club Player

Hughjarce wrote:A loss to Carlscum would put a dent in our standing as a genuine Premiership contender.
woops!