Jack Steven, just a question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Jack Steven, just a question

Has he lost a yard of pace since the Hawks game last year? Looks really big in the upper thighs?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I've noticed this with a lot of our young players. Geary was also very quick when he started out with Sandy, not to mention much more attacking and creative. I fear our kids are being developed into hard working GOPs and having creative flare stamped out. Geary, Steven, Armo and Eddy are all now hard working, defensive-minded guys with ok skills and average pace. Compare that to some of the kids tearing it up at other clubs and you wonder if it's how they're developed, who we're drafting or who we're giving games to.

avid
Club Player

I'm hyper-excited about him being in the team.
But he does seem to have lost a little of his zip maybe.
And his run / tenacity -- did you see him pull out of one long chase along the wing -- 3rd 1/4 I think? If he had have persisted, he would have got to the middle of several tackling opportunities, but the Carlton player got away with a fumble or two.
Really worried me. (I've got a lot of faith invested in Steven.)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He is and never was quick. Nothing has changed.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i watched him very very closely tonight.

either he is injured and very ginger/proppy (why did he play?)

or he just plain cant run.

his running action is almost a joke. a real shuffle. watched him attempt some chases. was almost comical. if hes not injured, hes in big trouble in modern day footy. just got burnt off too many times.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I'm hyper-excited about him being in the team.
But he does seem to have lost a little of his zip maybe.
And his run / tenacity -- did you see him pull out of one long chase along the wing -- 3rd 1/4 I think? If he had have persisted, he would have got to the middle of several tackling opportunities, but the Carlton player got away with a fumble or two.
Really worried me. (I've got a lot of faith invested in Steven.)

i saw it completely and commented at the time. one guy burned him off and handballed to judd and then it got embarrasssing and JS just stopped to stop himself looking silly. in fact i chuckled. worrried the hell out of me. either the club come out this week and say he played with an injury and could not run or, if not, he simply CANT RUN AT ALL.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of how fast he is, he's getting in some good places at the right time. I've also noticed (perhaps not last night?) that he lays a terrific tackle!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i watched him very very closely tonight.

his running action is almost a joke. a real shuffle. watched him attempt some chases. was almost comical. if hes not injured, hes in big trouble in modern day footy. just got burnt off too many times.
Has always had that running style. Looks exactly as he always has.

backit
Club Player

I looked at his running against the dogs and noticed that he has a shuffle with small steps, he does not have a stride which makes him possibly look slower than he is. I do think that we don't have much pace in our younger players when you compare them with other lists, we don't seem to have the lean, wirey types like the Jettas, the Hills etc.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

backit wrote:I looked at his running against the dogs and noticed that he has a shuffle with small steps, he does not have a stride which makes him possibly look slower than he is. I do think that we don't have much pace in our younger players when you compare them with other lists, we don't seem to have the lean, wirey types like the Jettas, the Hills etc.
looks slow and IS slow.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wonder why we did not persevere with Choo Choo. He had lots of genuine pace.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I wonder why we did not persevere with Choo Choo. He had lots of genuine pace.
Rather he did not persevere with us. Unfortunately he got homesick and returned home.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:I wonder why we did not persevere with Choo Choo. He had lots of genuine pace.
He weighed about 45 kgs dripping wet.
The guys mentioned earlier have never been super quick. Gery and Eddy had got good endurance rather than pace. It's why we took the risk with Lovett.
Mind you you don't need to be that quick to wina clearance. And when the opposition has the ball you always seem to look slower.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
lefty
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:Regardless of how fast he is, he's getting in some good places at the right time. I've also noticed (perhaps not last night?) that he lays a terrific tackle!
Meh, if you watch the second quarter (fairly sure it wasn't the first) his opponent - simpson, runs away with the ball, has plenty of time to fiddle with it, gives it to judd, who then runs sideways then forwards, and you can see Stevens stops running/chasing.

He basically gave up chasing after Simpson, if he continued to run, he would of got Judd, instead of him kicking it into their forward line.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Regardless of how fast he is, he's getting in some good places at the right time. I've also noticed (perhaps not last night?) that he lays a terrific tackle!
Meh, if you watch the second quarter (fairly sure it wasn't the first) his opponent - simpson, runs away with the ball, has plenty of time to fiddle with it, gives it to judd, who then runs sideways then forwards, and you can see Stevens stops running/chasing.

He basically gave up chasing after Simpson, if he continued to run, he would of got Judd, instead of him kicking it into their forward line.

i was watching that. he was running backwards. ur kidding me right?
simpson burned him off. then judd put a grand canyon in between him so he gave up. he cant run.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Has he kicked a goal in every senior game he's played for St Kilda?

I'm not quite sure what his position is; small forward, flanker, mid-fielder?

Regardless, he looks promising. Not sure he is a better option than Armitage though - at present.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Has he kicked a goal in every senior game he's played for St Kilda?

Regardless, he looks promising. Not sure he is a better option than Armitage though - at present.
promising as what? has to be inside mid i think.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
battye wrote:Has he kicked a goal in every senior game he's played for St Kilda?

promising as what? has to be inside mid i think.
I'm not sure... just promising.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Saintsfan
Club Player

So he kicked two goals however what is his position? Or what is he meant to be doing out there?

The Saintsfan Cometh
ThomasR
Club Player

accountability is a problem - does not work hard enough up the ground and leaves his man free.. i don't think this is part of the zone. good for him because he can get a couple of cheapies over the back, but not so good for the defence trying to man up an extra player.

case in point last night, i think judd had marked it just behind the wing, not sure who was on the mark but there was a blues player short over the top further up the wing, instead of waving the man on the mark over to the player and taking the mark himself, jack just stood there in no mans land about 10m behind juddy not protecting any space, by the time the ball got chipped over the top he had realised his mistake and started running towards the player but all too late

i think he's a smart player with the ball in his hands and a natural footballer (as opposed to an athlete) but he needs to sharpen up the defensive side of his game - could even be a fitness issue. either way i would not be surprised or disappointed if he made may for armo this week

SaintWal
Club Player

I agree with that plugger but do you think he has become leg heavy? I thought in the Hawks game he had reasonable pace, not the quickest but able to hold his own.
plugger66 wrote:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yep from what I can remember.

eel33
Club Player

I thought Steven was limping slightly when the team ran out onto the ground, so I watched him carefully at 1/4 time. He was definitely limping as he walked/jogged to the bench for the start of the 2nd quarter.

rexy
SS Life Member

ThomasR wrote:accountability is a problem - does not work hard enough up the ground and leaves his man free.. i don't think this is part of the zone. good for him because he can get a couple of cheapies over the back, but not so good for the defence trying to man up an extra player.

case in point last night, i think judd had marked it just behind the wing, not sure who was on the mark but there was a blues player short over the top further up the wing, instead of waving the man on the mark over to the player and taking the mark himself, jack just stood there in no mans land about 10m behind juddy not protecting any space, by the time the ball got chipped over the top he had realised his mistake and started running towards the player but all too late

i think he's a smart player with the ball in his hands and a natural footballer (as opposed to an athlete) but he needs to sharpen up the defensive side of his game - could even be a fitness issue. either way i would not be surprised or disappointed if he made may for armo this week
I also thought he looked lost in the zone. A couple of times when they found a short target he seemed to be the gut out of position.

eddy may get his spot next week for this reason alone, regardless of who is better with the ball.

Maybe this year?
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that he was drilled as a forward over the pre-season. Was he really lost when it came to zones?