Stanley needs to come in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jimbob
Club Player

Stanley needs to come in

we are breaking down bad around half fwd and need someone big and quick and can take a mark, stanley is the perfect fit, i do understand he has been poor in the vfl but so was buddy for hawkes, some players need to be around good players to play well themselves come on ross play the kid p.s why on earth was armo dropped lenny was all by himself last night. thoughts!

Nattens
Club Player

Re: Stanley needs to come in

jimbob wrote:he has been poor in the vfl
Good logic there, poor form in the VFL must translate to a star performance in the AFL.

jimbob
Club Player

just like how raph was killing it in the vfl 3 bog ave 30 possies and he has been great in the afl last couple hasn't he! :roll:

Nattens
Club Player

jimbob wrote:just like how raph was killing it in the vfl 3 bog ave 30 possies and he has been great in the afl last couple hasn't he! :roll:
Have you even been to a Sandringham game this year or are you going on pure hype?

Stanley has hardly produced a performance worthy of esclation to the senior team all year. Bloody Walsh is playing better footy than him.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stanley did ok in the nab cup i thought

showed good hands

give him a ago i say, for the next three weeks 8-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Nattens wrote:Have you even been to a Sandringham game this year or are you going on pure hype?

Stanley has hardly produced a performance worthy of esclation to the senior team all year. Bloody Walsh is playing better footy than him.
correct.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The answer to me is have Zac play forward for the rest of the season or until we get Roo back. He looks mobile and dangerous and was the only player in our forward line who looked like marking.

We cant keep running guys through the forward line hoping something will click. We need a real stable structure that every player knows is going to be there every time we go forward. Kosi would have some pressure removed and if Zac spent time at training practicing kicking at goal he would get more accurate, well thats my take anyway.

jimbob
Club Player

Nattens wrote:
jimbob wrote:just like how raph was killing it in the vfl 3 bog ave 30 possies and he has been great in the afl last couple hasn't he! :roll:
Have you even been to a Sandringham game this year or are you going on pure hype?

give both of them ago what do we have to lose we are playing the bottom sides next few weeks you never know something might click.

Red
Club Player

Stanley did the spectacular in the nab cup but he didn't have any influence

on games. He will get persecuted if he plays and only gets a couple of

possessions.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sooo...

If a player cant get a kick in the magoos it doesnt matter?

Just chuck him in the seniors to be thrown to the wolves.

I like your thinking there.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I just find it amazing the amount of threads about Stanley....

For me the biggest disappointment this year is McEvoy....

In my mind this was going to the year that McEvoy makes the grade into our best 22 and to date he has not delivered.

His debut was in 2008 and he has just played 14 matches....

He was the #1 ruckman for vic country when we selected him as our first pick and with King out of the side, its time McEvoy shows why he was our #1 draft pick and start delivering.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I just find it amazing the amount of threads about Stanley....

In my mind this was going to the year that McEvoy makes the grade into our best 22 and to date he has not delivered.

He was the #1 ruckman for vic country when we selected him as our first pick and with King out of the side, its time McEvoy shows why he was our #1 draft pick and start delivering.
Agreed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I just find it amazing the amount of threads about Stanley....

Agreed.
Also agree....but we are in a spot of bother at the moment with Roo out and Kingy not firing enough, so McEvoy may get a gig by default only.

Maybe Macca is a very slow developer?

But I'll be concerned if he doesn't cement his spot this season.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If Stanley is being used at ff in the Magoos - he's just being constricted and wasted.
It's like putting a peregrine falcon in a small cage.

So if that's where he's being played - no wonder he's not performing !!

The guy needs space to operate, use his pace and create turnovers .. and half forward would be more like it.

older saint
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:The answer to me is have Zac play forward for the rest of the season or until we get Roo back. He looks mobile and dangerous and was the only player in our forward line who looked like marking.

We cant keep running guys through the forward line hoping something will click. We need a real stable structure that every player knows is going to be there every time we go forward. Kosi would have some pressure removed and if Zac spent time at training practicing kicking at goal he would get more accurate, well thats my take anyway.
Watching the last quarter you may be on to something her. Ithink give Geartner a go form warrants it and move Dawson to CHF with perhaps a Goddard or Ray rotating across the flank as both good overhead.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Stanley wasn't to flash in the NAB GF and hasn't done much in the VFL to date. My contact tells me he is a way off yet. Plus they won't play him or players like him in big games. Not only does it knock their bodies around it does nothing for the confidence.

Give the guy some time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
battye
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, Stanley needs to come into the side.

Who was the last breakout star we've developed? Sam Fisher or Sam Gilbert perhaps? All the while it seems every other team has a host of young stars.

Granted, we haven't had the luxury of high draft picks for many years but unless we trial some new young players how will we know if our depth players have what it takes to forge successful AFL careers?

I'm not suggesting now is the time to panic, drop half the team and play all our rookies - but in the case of Stanley, we are clearly lacking a second forward option which has led to fewer crumbing opportunities, more pressure on Kosi (and it is affecting him, when did he last kick a goal?) and fewer scoring shots overall.

Zac/Blake/Fisher etc is not the solution. We need a permanent forward not a "band-aid". The only other option is if Goddard is played forward full-time, but this is a risky option considering what we would lose around the ground.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
rexy
SS Life Member

No point even worrying about the forward line until we can get it out of the backline, we are not breaking down across HF IMO, we are breaking down between the wing and HB, the quality of ball going in to our forward line is so poor that plugger would have struggled to kick goals last night. Being rested in the forward line has had a whole new meaning the last couple of weeks, the guys on the bench at least have to run the boundary and ride the bike. We are being beaten at our own game, hemmed in to our own backline and exposed when we turn it over.

Maybe this year?
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts is that Stanley will be a good player "in time" ...

His body is not ready ATM

McEvoy should be playing in the ruck and should be in our best 22 this year

(I feel that most thought the same at the start of the season)

He played the first two rounds and was ordinary to say the least, but with Kink injured I feel his inclusion is a must, if he is going to develop.

A good deal of Kreuzer's first year in 2008 was ordinary but they persisted with him and he has developed....

Both Kreuzer and McEvoy were the best rucks in Victoria and possibly the country the year they were drafted and it just makes me wonder why McEvoy has only played 14 games compared to Kreuzer's 50....

Again, Kreuzer's form in his first was ordinary but they persisted, and yet we still persist with King????

Zac is a player that is not really comfortable playing in the back line as he concentrates FAR TOO much on the player and not the ball.

Zac came to Hawthorn as a forward and he is a forward player and when he plays forward he can take a grab, because he is focused on the ball and not the player.

Zac should be given a chance to play forward for more than just one quarter

If the Club feels that Stanley deserves a game, then he should also play forward and not ruck (at this stage)

McEvoy should play in the ruck rotating with Gardiner...

and Gaertner should be included in the back line to replace Zac, who should play forward.

Yes, Walsh is playing well down back ATM, but lacks experience and I feel that the position of FB is just too much for a player still learning the game. On the other hand Gaertner has the experience of playing Australian Rules and is also well built.

There is also the fact that Gaertner is in his last year as a rookie and we need to see how he preforms in the seniors before we promote him next year IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint58
Club Player

We all know that there will be no changers to the side the coaches dont thing there is a problem i do supporters do commentaters do and the hole bloody world does but not the coaches so there will be no changes.

And as for stanley we carnt play him he only took 9 marks and kicked a goal the other week at Sandy and who knows playing him might be a master stroke it might not but we couldnt do any worse could we !!!!

Play Zach at FF and bring in Gaertner at full back i know he is young and inexperienced but who cares PLAY THE KIDS SOMETIMES OTHER TEAMS DO AND IT WORKS.

We never should have got rid of Matty Maquire he could play at both ends and utill the young guys had senior experience around the year 2020 he would have been very handy,it could be the decision that costs us the GF??

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:We all know that there will be no changers to the side the coaches dont thing there is a problem i do supporters do commentaters do and the hole bloody world does but not the coaches so there will be no changes.

And as for stanley we carnt play him he only took 9 marks and kicked a goal the other week at Sandy and who knows playing him might be a master stroke it might not but we couldnt do any worse could we !!!!

Play Zach at FF and bring in Gaertner at full back i know he is young and inexperienced but who cares PLAY THE KIDS SOMETIMES OTHER TEAMS DO AND IT WORKS.

We never should have got rid of Matty Maquire he could play at both ends and utill the young guys had senior experience around the year 2020 he would have been very handy,it could be the decision that costs us the GF??
FFS Goose decided to leave, he had a contract... Also when did Stanley take nine marks?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote: Also when did Stanley take nine marks?
during kick to kick before the start of training a couple of weeks ago.....there was him and another player....Stanley marked everything in sight...including time.....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I'm pretty good at kick to kick. Reckon I could get a game?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I'm pretty good at kick to kick. Reckon I could get a game?
No..Kosi has your spot...

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
saint58
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
saint58 wrote:We all know that there will be no changers to the side the coaches dont thing there is a problem i do supporters do commentaters do and the hole bloody world does but not the coaches so there will be no changes.

FFS Goose decided to leave, he had a contract... Also when did Stanley take nine marks?

Stanley took 9 marks in round 1 of the VFL on sunday 11 april the next game we had rooy and kosi out it would have been the perfect opportunity but we didnt and they wont play him next week or in weeks to come