Midfield the issue.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Midfield the issue.....

Teflon wrote:For mine we can blame Kosi and fwds all night long and defenders too but midfield was deplorable tonight and lets face it we are 1 paced.

Bombers will play the same style as carlton - fast,play on at all times and try and stop us from setting up...the difference is their midfield aint as good as Carltons.

Hayes has to do it all on his own - Jones, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna were avg at best and ALWAYS second to the ball. It looked like they had enough first use from rucks but just couldnt read a clearance to save their lives.

If the midfield pressure aint there the ball zings from our fwd to defence far to easy an they score.

When our game was at its best our fwd line pressure was amazing but also the pressure on sides trying to come back inside via the corridor also forced the turn over - that has been lacking all year for mine....

We looked tired tonight imo and yet had what 10 days off.....weird.
amen. we could have hudson lockett and g ablett sr in the fwd line.

dal and monty and cj had very stinky nights. they were so bad. worst i have seen them in 18 months.

ill put it down to dodgy chicken. but our mids were torn up tonight.

nobhead
Club Player

Teflon wrote:For mine we can blame Kosi and fwds all night long and defenders too but midfield was deplorable tonight and lets face it we are 1 paced.

Bombers will play the same style as carlton - fast,play on at all times and try and stop us from setting up...the difference is their midfield aint as good as Carltons.

Hayes has to do it all on his own - Jones, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna were avg at best and ALWAYS second to the ball. It looked like they had enough first use from rucks but just couldnt read a clearance to save their lives.

If the midfield pressure aint there the ball zings from our fwd to defence far to easy an they score.

When our game was at its best our fwd line pressure was amazing but also the pressure on sides trying to come back inside via the corridor also forced the turn over - that has been lacking all year for mine....

We looked tired tonight imo and yet had what 10 days off.....weird.
great post imo think it was a big mistake dropping armo .we clearly got smashed in the clearences and the rebound out off our forward line was something i have not seen for ages .hard to blame our backs when the ball was going in at a million miles an hour.not enough pressure around the ground too try and hold em up so we could back back in numbers .they played their style of game and we let them as simple as that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:we could have hudson lockett and g ablett sr in the fwd line ,,,
would riewoldt have made a difference?

the point i'm trying to make is that our mids are getting no return (in the way of goals) for their efforts.

no one is presenting at half forward and it is forcing us to play indirect, negative, backwards and sideways football. if we go deep to kosi, it comes back out at breakneck speed.

i'm not denying that the midfield was down. it stank to high heaven. but i believe that our impotent forward set up is a major reason for this and a major concern.

as i said earlier in the thread, the one big difference between last night's team and the one that lost just three games in 2009 is the absence of riewoldt and this is why we need to look at the forward line.

we need to give some quality resources to the forward line and leave them there in riewoldt's absence. ie: goddard.