Changes next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintsfan
Club Player

out: Zac, Raph

in: Peake, Stanley

Most players had a shocker tonight and the ball never bounced our way. The end result should have been more than 10 goals really.

In the end...all teams have off days...what will decide our fate is how we get back from this....we are still 5-2 and have beaten everyone around us (now apart from Carlton)

The Saintsfan Cometh
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: i agree time to give some players a scare...

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:kosi to second ruck. out: king. in: heyne.
replace heyne with stanley and I gree.

Infact I would not even set upwith Kosi at FF next week - time for us to pull some suprises.

Im also not totally given up on Raph as a fwd - thought he created some reasonable fwd pressure tonight and obviously supply wasnt the greatest....
stanley's form for sandringham just doesn't warrant it unfortunately teflon. tommy walsh looks closer to senior selection.

i think bj to ff and gilbert to chf.
I dont think Heynes killing them in the aisles back there either and Stanley, albeit NAB Fluff, has demonstrated he has the speed to worry defenders and the size to take a grab and actually add to our structure.

BJ to FF is a complete waste of his footskills round ground - we dont have players who can run/break lines so we need all the creative by foot players in the play.....not in the goal square so we can at least move the ball fwd with speed. Sure he might pinch hit but his best work is through the middle into fwd 50.

I think Gilberts footskills up fwd are wanting big time.

Stanley is the only other tall type that is completely different to Kosi yet who could compliment him.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:IN McEvoy Armitage

OUT King Gwilt
There is more chance of a mid-season draft being introduced and us taking Courtney Johns before the next game than Gwilt being dropped. He would be in our top 10 B&F right now no doubt

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Raph was a lot more value than Dal tonight.

Stanley was our emergency, our 23rd man, I woulld bring him in for the ruck before McEvoy. and he would add some much needed pace, whereas McEvoy would make us slower. I would bring back Armo if he is fit. But I cant really see who else deserves a run, unless they promote Gaertner for Dawson.

LoeweBrow
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:Out: In:
Raph - Gaerthner/Peake
Dal Santo - Armitage
King - McEvoy
McQualter - Eddy
Dawson - J Smith/Walsh/Stanley/Heyne

J Smith???

Might be a LITTLE underdone, don't you reckon?

Walsh isn't nearly there either. Put the team list down and have a think...

"No comment IS a comment" - George Carlin
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:I will not attend another game when Dawson or Clark are in the team.
piss off then

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:BJ to FF is a complete waste of his footskills round ground - we dont have players who can run/break lines so we need all the creative by foot players in the play.
disagree. we've got to find a way to kick winning scores and kosi aint it.

bj would appear to be the best option at ff in riewoldt's absence. it's not unusual for very good players to play in that position.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:My thought all along..we need two marking forwards.
With the way Kosi's playing right now, we need two more then.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Saintsfan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:BJ to FF is a complete waste of his footskills round ground - we dont have players who can run/break lines so we need all the creative by foot players in the play.
disagree. we've got to find a way to kick winning scores and kosi aint it.

bj would appear to be the best option at ff in riewoldt's absence. it's not unusual for very good players to play in that position.
Goddard cannot kick the ball to Goddard though.

One or the other and I would prefer him kicking it to someone instead of him getting the odd decent kick inside 50.

The Saintsfan Cometh
SinCitySaint
Club Player

The problem with bringing in Stanley is when I have seen him at Sandy, and I admit I have only seen two games, he is offering nothing. He is an athlete not a footballer is how it looks to my untrained eye.
We need a forward who will at least be a target up forward in his current form I can't see Stanley doing that.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the answer is, I am not even convinced I am completely sure of the question.

I think todays game really identified one of our big issues. We have a lot of endurance athletes in our team and not that many true footballers. I look at other clubs and the young guys having an impact appear to be natural footballers at the saints they appear to be athletes first and footballers second. This is completely in alignment with Ross's gameplan he requires hard workers to execute it. However, when a key component of that gameplan is missing because we have athletes rather than footballers we cannot easily switch to another plan and as such lack flexibility.

Look at our best players tonight Lenny, Milne and Goddard all are natural footballers and the guys who really struggled Geary, Raph, Dawson and Kosi all more in the side for their physical and athletic attributes than their reading of the game and football smarts.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes next week

plugger66 wrote:Out
Zac
King
Maybe Steven

In
Armo
Heyne
Eddy or Stanley
agree but need stanley to come in not eddy. Happy for eddy over armo. Need to start playing actual forwards..... not shift the defence through the forward line every 5 mins. Awesome way to distrupt and destroy a vry well functioning backilne

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sam23
SS Life Member

Out; King, Dawson
In; Armitage, McEvoy

Goddard.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:My thought all along..we need two marking forwards.
With the way Kosi's playing right now, we need two more then.
Yes Kosi has no confidence.

Started ok...but when you see a player like him puncheda ball with two fists that he should have marked you know something is wrong.

However Kosi is probably an ok second banana still. Problem is we have no first banana!!!

Zac..except he could not kick at goal worked better in the forward line than Kosi tonight. Though it was in the last quarter when thhere was no heat in the game.

On Stanley...I would love to know what his injury or not is. Only played half a game and so might be being monitored.

The no Roo, no GF school of thought is lunfortunately ooking pretty right at present.

Also in the forward line Mini is sadly out of form. His kicking at goal is a shadow of what it was.

This in turn is putting too much load onto Milne.

Rumour has King withhammy tighness . So may miss anyway.

Dons have pace too.

INS: Armo, King for Ben, Peake..and Stanley if fit.

OUTS: Steven, Raph, Mini. King

Right here and now Gwilt is better than Raph...but neither are ok forwards. So one has to go.

That was the softest and least hardworking team since the final against the Hawks. So in my mind at least three changes need to ne made to spell ou that that level of effort is unacceptable.

On Kosi again...Patto out suspended. so unless they play up forward Kosi will stay...but with more ruck time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
deadman walking
Club Player

zac was our best forward last night

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

In : Stanley, Armitage, Heyne, Eddy

Out : McQualter, Clarke, Schneider, King (inj)

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Out: King, Mini, Raph, Dawson, Geary

IN: Macca, Peake Armo, Stanley, Heyne

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Essendon are light on for key backs at the moment - Pears out and Hurley required up forward. We need another key position forward to ensure Fletcher is made accountable.

Why not give Walsh a run?? No he is not ready yet. But would him coming in really make our forward line function any worse than it did last night?? And is there any better option?? When Kosi is not in the ruck, play him at CHF, and keep Walsh back in the goal square, with Jack or Milne standing right next to him.

Dal Santo copped a great tag last night, and it was dissapointing RL didn't make a move to get him into the game. Dal should have started the second half in the goal square as a leading forward, just to shake things up a bit. There's no way he'll get the chop.

Dawson is perhaps our biggest confidence player, or maybe second behind Kosi, so would dropping him do any good?? He's our best full back but is massively out of form, so he should only be dropped for Gaertner if the coaching staff think he will gain anything from playing at Sandy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Any word on King's Hamstring?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Behind Play wrote:I will not attend another game when Dawson or Clark are in the team.
Another great supporter. Be like a tigers supporter and rip up your membership. No one needs supporters like you.
the best post I've ever read of yours on this forum, Plugger. Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously I couldn't have. I would have thrown a few extra expletives in there probably.

On topic, I don't think wholesale changes are required. Maybe blood one or two young guys to give them a run and see how they go. Agree with your outs though, they are the three I would drop too.

But blooding youngsters has been something we haven't done lately. When all our older, more experienced player are gone the players to replace them will have next to no experience at this rate.

I guess we'll have to wait and see though. We must have faith.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Another great supporter. Be like a tigers supporter and rip up your membership. No one needs supporters like you.
the best post I've ever read of yours on this forum, Plugger. Couldn't have said it better myself. Seriously I couldn't have. I would have thrown a few extra expletives in there probably.

On topic, I don't think wholesale changes are required. Maybe blood one or two young guys to give them a run and see how they go. Agree with your outs though, they are the three I would drop too.

But blooding youngsters has been something we haven't done lately. When all our older, more experienced player are gone the players to replace them will have next to no experience at this rate.

I guess we'll have to wait and see though. We must have faith.
Yep your right but not about my post. They are not going to make wholesale changes. 2 to 3 at the most. I reckon only one new guy will play so either Heyne or Stanley will play.

rexy
SS Life Member

Seen it all in this post, pople who wont go if certain players get a game :roll: . People who want to drop Schneider and Gwilt :roll: . People who think it is Kosis fault that we kick it over his head or to the wrong side when he is leading, people who want to bring in 3 debutants. Get a grip people, we were awful and many senior players need to stand up, Fisher, Gilbert, Jones, Montagna, yes Kosi and DalSanto to name a few.

There will be changes no doubt, players like Eddy who try really hard are most likely to get recalled IMO.

Have faith, we are a good side.

Maybe this year?
Quixote
SS Life Member

No matter why he was out of the team, Armitage must come back in. Our inside mid machine was lacking, and hard.

Kosi played very well last night but could not glove a mark and is clearly being played out of position. He played Riewoldt's role to a tea but he is not Riewoldt. I would have thought it's obvious the inclusion of a fast lead-up forward is essential to our brand.

Deep forward or ruck, please for JK.

Perhaps Ross has been too stubborn. Perhaps he's been trying to teach the group how to win in a post-Riewoldt reality, in a situation where we don't have that player or even that type of player. Truth is - we won't win the big one in that situation. We either need Roo, or someone who can do at least half of what he does. Doesn't matter who and it's no slight on Kosi but he ain't this player. R STANLEY springs to mind. Quick, tall, agile. Lead-up forward. FFS.

Expect the changes to ring after this one.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:Out -

Dal Santo

Dal Santo was nothing short of pathetic tonight and maybe needs a week in the reserves again
That would be probably the most ridiculous post I have read all year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Out King (inj) Mini

In McEvoy, Armo

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

My ins would be Armo, McEvoy, Peake (is he injured?)

My outs would be King, Schneider, Clarke (very reluctantly)

We need some long kicking and Peake can do that.

McEvoy can go forward.

Armo was badly missed last night.